Soft Monster

Be Warmed

Lucas never meant to hurt anyone, honestly he didn’t mean it. But sometimes he had to do it. Because some people think all jokes can be taken as a joke. But he never regret when he hurt them, because he knows they deserve it. “Mr Wong, what is your main reason hurting this poor boy?” The head master asked. Today is the 5th time he has been called by the head master cause he hit some immature students or more likely considered as bastards. “They were making fun of my mother.” Lucas monotone voice gives some shivers to the headmaster. The headmaster loss at words. He knows Lucas is a good boy, but surrounded by bad things in his life. “ But hitting someone won’t solve the problems Wong Yukhei. You know that, do you?” The headmaster asked rather softly. And his next answer makes the headmaster loss his words once again. “They deserve it.” The headmaster massaging his forehead cause he know Lucas is not like this kind of person. “I’m sorry to say this Lucas, but you’ll be suspended for one week. You are forbidden to come to school until your punishment ends. Do you get me?” The headmaster firmly gives warning. Lucas only nodded and still look down. “I know you are a good boy, Lucas. I know you don’t mean to do any of this.” The head master word makes Lucas at the edge of crying. At last someone knows I’m not a monster they always called me. He bows to the head master and left the office.

People really think he is the monster who people have been talking too. Everyday people would stare at you like you’re not even a human. Instead of going to his class, he takes a walk to the school field to do something he always did, smoking. It’s the only way he can reduce the anger and stress he’s been keeping to himself. He didn’t even bother to go to class cause it’s almost the time to go back home and today is Friday so he have exactly 1 week to himself. After the last sip of cigarettes he wait for the school bell to ring. He just zoned out a while, thinking what really makes him being like this. If his mom is still here, he wouldn’t be like this. He shrugged his thoughts away and walk to the school gates and went back home. “Hey Lucas.” A voice came from behind of his back. “Hey Ten, what’s up?” Ten looks at him with a sad face. “You okay?? Did you get suspended again?” Lucas fake a smile. “Yeah, I have free holidays, again…” Ten shake his head. “Did you hit him real bad?” Lucas nodded. “ He broke his nose but it’s not my fault, he bumps to the floor.” Lucas really has no expressions when talking. Everything sounds so dull and boring. “Well he deserves it he shouldn’t have to joke like that.” Ten looks at Lucas and his expressions still the same. Expressionless. Stoic. Numb. That is Lucas. “Okay I have to go now… Don’t do anything stupid, you get me?” Ten cutely warned him. “I’m too tired for all of that, seeya Ten.” He walks around 15 minutes till he arrived home. More like an apartment. Lucas is actually came from a rich family but both of his parents left the world when he was 12, affecting his childhood and his mental as a human too. Watching his parents die in front of his eyes makes it even worse. He didn’t want to remember any of it and just take his clothes off and take a cold shower. His tanned muscles are stiff these days due to stress but he didn’t have any time or interest going to gym right now so after shower he went to sleep.

After 3 hours sleeping, Lucas suddenly feel really hungry but he didn’t have anything in the fridge. He sighed of the thought that he have to walk to the convenient store to buy some meals. After putting some shirts and jeans, he walked out of the apartment and went down to the convenient store that only 2 minutes away from his place. He buys ramen and some kimbaps, a bottle of mineral water and a chocolate bar. He pays it and walked out of the convenient store calmly until he hears some soft whimpers from a small road beside the store. At first, he want to ignore it cause he don’t want to be in trouble again. But he can’t help it cause the whimper sounds that it really need helps for someone. “Please don’t do this to me.. I beg you.” That cries came out from a boy. Lucas has to squint his eyes a little because it’s dark but he can see the two figures standing. “ You don’t have to beg, baby.. You must give what I want.” The boy looks not that tall but not that small enough while the other one is fat and big. “Please don’t..”  the boy crying for help. “Oi.. what are you doing?” Lucas snapped coldly. “Mind your own business boy.” Lucas can’t take it anymore and throw a rock to the fat guy head and that guy yelped in pain. So Lucas takes the advantage to kick him down but his knife slides into Lucas ankle and it’s bleeding. But Lucas use his another leg and swing it to his head and he fell down. Lucas didn’t spend any second and grab the boy’s hand and run real fast with the plastic bag in his another hand.

After 5 minutes of running, they stop trying to catch up some breath. “ You okay there?” Lucas asked the boy between his breathe. The boy still gasping for some air. “I’m ..okay.” Lucas now can see his full face and he can say how breath taking this small boy are. His small face, his pale sweaty skin, his lips. But the boy he was describing was screaming when he was Lucas ankle. “ Oh no you’re bleeding!” the boy almost cry when he saw the blood. “Hey I’m okay..” Lucas trying to act cool but actually it really hurts. The boy didn’t wait any longer and held Lucas arm to help him to sit on a bench. “You wait here.. I’ll buy some bandage okay!” The boy runs to a 24 hours pharmacy to buy some bandage and Dettol. Lucas was fighting the pain and he really can’t help it this time. The boy just came out from the pharmacy and kneeling beside Lucas. “Are you hurt? Oh no of course you are what a stupid question..” this boy speaks nervously. “Uhh may I…?”Lucas nodded as a sign he can do everything he want to reduce the pain. The boy slowly takes Lucas shoes out, the boys start to talk to distract him. “I’m Jungwoo. What is your name?” Lucas knows he need to talk to distract himself. “Lucas.” Jungwoo nodded and putting some Dettol on the cotton pad. “ This might sting a little, here bite on this.” Jungwoo gives him a clothes to bite on. “Okay..” Once the cotton pad touch his wound, he wanna scream his lung out. Jungwoo know it hurts so he blew to the wounds to soothe the pain. “Here all done, sir.” Jungwoo standing up and he sats on the bench beside Lucas. The both of them being all quiet and didn’t dare to talk. “Thank you, for saving my live.”Jungwoo play the edge of his clothes while looking down. “If it wasn’t you, I would have been died or been touch there.” Jungwoo on the edge of crying but he try his best to hold it. “It’s okay.” That’s the only answer came from Lucas. Jungwoo take his courage to look at Lucas and he regrets it. Lucas was staring at him deeply and he can feel his cheeks getting hotter. “Uh.. I think I need to treat you later..” Jungwoo pat his thighs softly while smiling awkwardly. “ Okay… sure.” Lucas still loss in his word cause he’s busy observing this beautiful creature that looks so angelic. “I think I have to go now…” Jungwoo said while standing up. Lucas still staring at him before he shouted “Wait!” and startled Jungwoo. “Should I walk you home?” Lucas practically begging. “Uhh.. is it okay to you? Cause your ankle doesn’t seem so good.” “NO I’m okay!” Lucas stopping Jungwoo words.

So Lucas walked Jungwoo home. The atmosphere starts to become awkward again. Lucas didn’t know how to start so he just go with everything that came out in his mind. “Are u new guy in yhis community cause I never seen you before?” Lucas rubbing the back of his neck. “Yeah, I just moved here yesterday with my parents.” Jungwoo sounds so soft and gentle when he talks and it melts Lucas hearts sometimes. “Oh really, no wonder..” Lucas still think he need to ask more but when open his mouth they already arrived at Jungwoo’s house. “This is my house.” Jungwoo said while smile awkwardly. it’s not big but it looks comfy and cute, like the owner- wait what? “ I need to go in now, Lucas-ssi..” “Ah okay..” Lucas laughed awkwardly that actually sounds scary. “Thank you again Lucas-ssi..” Jungwoo said while bow to him. “Ah okay.. be careful Jungwoo-ssi.” Lucas sounds awkward and monotone but Jungwoo still smiles at it. “You too Lucas-ssi, good night..” Jungwoo closed the gates softly but before he close the gates something really hit Lucas. Jungwoo smiled at him, angelically.