Betrothal

Betrothed
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

It was full moon that night. A young girl was sitting at the window of her room, a thick book lying in her lap, forgotten for the sake of her eyes wanting to soak in the warmth of the moon. She was beautiful, dark brown orbs, wavy hair black as midnight cascading past her shoulders and reaching just below her tiny waist, her chubby little fingers holding a bit tighter on the book as she continued gazing at the moon. She was too engrossed that she didn’t realize someone coming inside her room and taking a seat beside her.

“What are you thinking about, dear?”

Startled, girl turned to her right and smiled at a sight of women, middle aged, but her features nevertheless pretty… The women had features a bit like the girl, being her mother.

“Nothing much, Mother. I was just looking at the moon. It’s pretty, right? Almost too pretty to be true… ”

Her mother smiled as she took one of the hands lying on the book and squeezed a little.

“Of course you would think that. You have always had a little soft spot for the moon. Though I will never understand your fascination about it, but it looks beautiful today, that I won’t deny…”

Girl smiled as she squeezed back her mother’s hand and listened as her mother continued.

“But that is not the only thing going in your mind, is it? You know you can tell me anything, right?”

Girl was surprised at those words but her mother had always known her better. She could always tell whether she was happy, sad or even angry.

She slowly lowered her head on her mother’s shoulder as she said,” I’m scared mother. I don’t want to leave you or Father or this palace. I don’t want to go anywhere. Can I just stay here with you all forever??”

Her mother sighed as she pulled her daughter closer. She threaded her fingers through her lovely traces as she spoke,” Is it about your betrothal with the prince of Xenia?? You do know that’s how things work here, right? You have been betrothed to him since your birth. Your father and King of Xenia have been friends ever since I could remember. After birth of his first child they both decided that if I give birth to a girl then there will be betrothal between that girl and his son. And now on your sixteenth birthday you will have to go to Xenia, you will be his wife from that day. ”

Princess was listening to every single word her mother, Queen of Xura uttered.

“I know mother. I know it’s my responsibility. I know that I have to be someone’s wife someday. But, I wanted it to be out of love, not because of so

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter