Youngwon's Letter

The Letters (B.A.P)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Summary:

Heads Up:
The first scene is referencing to the ending scene from The Diary where Jongup confesses to Junhong in the snowfall.

Notes:

Please remember that Youngwon and Daehyun will obviously have different letter writing styles so~

Seoul 2018

It’s been four months since that night Jongup had confessed to Junhong in the snow and he still can’t believe that they’re dating. He looks at the boy sleeping next to him, the moonlight shining sinfully over the crack of his covered just enough by the bed sheets and he has to rub his eyes to make sure this isn’t a dream.

 

The memory of that night filters into his eyes, as he edges out of bed. He remembers Jongup calling him out in the snow. Them sharing gloves, coffee and a kiss. And Jongup telling about Youngjae’s diary. It all still seems like a dream to Junhong and he can’t stop smiling these days.

 

Closing the bedroom door behind him, Junhong picks up the phone and settles into the armchair in the balcony. He dials the number and waits for the other line to accept and soon as he hears the warm voice, he can’t help but smile.

 

“Junhongie! How are you?”

 

Junhong chuckles happily and pushes into the cushions. “How did you know it was me though, Grandpa?”

 

“Please,” Daehyun drones and Junhong can easily see the man roll his eyes and shake his head. “It couldn’t have been any of the other oldies. Himchan sleeps way too early for his beauty sleep or whatever, and Yonggukie is probably too busy watching those idol shows. And it couldn’t have been Jongup because that boy is the single most careless boy in the world.”

 

Laughing like a mad man at the elder’s words, Junhong almost chokes trying to not make too much noise because Jongup is still sleeping. “How are you then, Grandpa? How’s Uncle Kim?”

 

“I’m fine, Junhongie” Daehyun hums, and Junhong hears him getting into bed. “Youngjae is good too. We just came back from Suwon yesterday.”

 

“Thank you, Grandpa” Junhong whispers into the receiver, sleep slowly taking hold of him after having spoken to the man. “Thank you for taking him to meet Grandpa.”

 

“Thank you too, Junhongie” Daehyun mumbles into the phone, “Youngjae finally accepted my love thanks to you.”

 

“That was all you, Grandpa” Junhong chuckles, “it was your letters that showed him just how much he was loved.”

 

A silence follows Junhong’s words where Junhong almost falls asleep but Daehyun speaks again, “I’m proud to have you as my grandson, Junhongie.”

 

Junhong doesn’t hesitate as he replies, “I’m proud of you too, Grandpa Daehyun.” He waits for a second, his lips, knowing well enough that Daehyun is waiting, “I’m proud of you, Grandpa.”

 

And it doesn’t escape anyone what meaning hides behind the boy’s words and soon after, Junhong hangs up. He walks back into his bedroom and snuggles beside Jongup. Pulling the elder into his arms as he smiles at the little whines Jongup issues. And he smiles as he falls asleep.

 

Daehyun returns his phone back to the table beside him and pulls his drawer to reach for a letter. A letter he reads almost every other day. He trails his fingers over the envelope and smiles as he pulls out the letter once more.

 

1998, 21st June

Sunday, 11 AM

3343 Choryang Ee-dong, Dong-gu, Busan

From Yoo Youngwon

 

Dear Daehyun,

Loyalty is such a unique concept, don’t you think? You come in contact with someone; be it a parent, sibling, a friend or even a friendly face. A pet even. Or even just an acquaintance. And you instantly form a connection with them.

 

We all have this basic sense of loyalty in us. The loyalty towards your family, or an animal that depends on you. Or anyone who’s loyal to you just because they are human and can offer a human emotion. This carnal need to be kind to a person you have affection for. The ingrained ability to stand up for a friend or to defend a loved one. The simple instinct to help a person out because they’re humans too.

 

Most of us are able to be loyal enough to be just humans. We do enough to not break anyone’s trust. Or lie or cheat or betray anyone. Most of us, being only humans, can also be disloyal sometimes.

 

I know I have been more than just a disloyal man, Daehyun. I know I have done things that might never let me have the luxury of having your trust again. Or Youngjae’s too for that matter. I’ve trampled the limit of human instincts and gone out of my way to hurt not only you but Youngjae too in the process. The fact that I did it to protect my brother, isn’t enough, I am aware. My supposed “loyalty” to my brother and his feelings have caused me to become a sinner in front of you two. And I know, forgiveness is a mercy that you rather not bestow upon me.

 

But I also

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter