The Sunlight Crane (Tsuru no Ongaeshi)

The Fairy Tales of The Moon and Sun

There was once a woman who walked through the woods, returning from an errand that she had to do in a small village not to far away from where she lived. On her way to her home she found a crane who fell into a trap of a hunter. She stopped in her tracks and couldn't feel anything but pity and decided to free the beautiful bird cause unlike everything else she saw this feathered animal was beyond breath-taking. As it flew away, she looked after it observing the white feathers with golden ends reflecting the sun.

During a lone winter night the woman suddenly heard a knock on her door. "Who would knock at the door at this hour?", she asked herself and stopped reading her book. Making her way to the front door, she opened it and found herself stunned and her brain had pretty much a shortcut. 

In front of her was the most beautiful woman she had ever encountered in her whole life. Long blond hair covered by an oversized hoodie. On top of the hoodie was a long white flowy garment, easily touching and covering the ground as well long enough sleeves to fully cover her hands. Suddenly she took of her hood and revealed her equaly stunning face. Her blond silky hair, her checks and her red lips and her entrancing brown eyes that conveid emotions as deep as the ocean. The woman gave her and heart-warming smile. "It might sound strange but can I stay here for a while? I travelled from one relative to another who I never seen or heard of. And for a reason I have a feeling that I can trust you, so please would you let me in? I just want a warm place in this freezing world." The other woman got her senses back together by now. "Of course you can stay. I can't leave someone like you out in this cold weather", she said and stepped aside to make room for the other to come in, "the doors are open for you." "Thank you", she said to her and once again smiled, "I'll be forever grateful for what you did for me." The invited stepped into the house and the door was closed and locked with a click. The blond woman turned around to see the other woman who still stood at the door. She seemed to be troubled. "One question", the brunette said, "what's your name?" 

"Solar. Yours?"

"Moonbyul."


Over the months they fell in love. Both of them never though that they do so. They always thought that one day they would fall in love with a man, marry him and have children. But with each other? They knew that there were cases but those who did so were look down upon and treated like outcasts. The both of them realized that something like that was possible. Despite Solar saying that she stayed for a while and moving on, she remained at Moonbyul's side. Something drew her to her,  just like a magnet. Over the time they got to learn about each other and in no time their hearts would beat in harmony. After declaring their love for each other, both woman promised their ever-lasting bond by marriage. Moonbyul and Solar made fond memories together and happyness filled their life.

But soon they slowly ran out of money. Moonbyul's farm wasn't able to sustain the needed money as they thought in the beginning. The farmer became distressed and didn't know what to do but Solar reassured her wife that everything will be alright. "Buy me yarn please", she asked with a calm voice. Moonbyul did so and gave the yarn to Solar. "Please, don't come in my room until I come out", is the thing she said before she vanished into an extra room and weaved for straight three days. As she came out of the room, she gave the stunning beautifully cloth and said. "Sell this and buy me more yarn." Moonbyul did as she said and received a lot of money for it. When she returned, Moonnyul gave the yarn to Solar. She once again said, "Please don't come into my room until I come out." Once again she weaved for three days without break. She came out of the room and gave Moonbyul another cloth and asked for more yarn. Moonbyul did so but with hesitation. Despite the cloth selling at an extremly high amount of money, she noticed the worsening condition of her beloved wife. When they spent time again together Moonbyul couldn't hide her concern anymore as Solar began to cough blood. Her fingertips were worn out from the six days of non-stop weaving. "Solar! Stop with that weaving. I see you suffering from what you do! If you keep this up...", Moonbyul's voice was almost merely a whisper now, "you might die." Solar embraced her. "Don't worry about me. Just two more. Okay?" Moonbyul nodded slightly and unknowingly cried in her sleep. Solar witnessed it and embraced her again to give the taller woman comfort and warmth. "I'm sorry Moon...I do it for you...even if I might die doing so."

So Solar resumed her work and weaved another cloth which Moonbyul sold on the market but got increasingly worried. Solar was almost at her breaking point. She had a horrible illness. And Byulyi knew it. As Solar forced herself to weave the promised final cloth Moonbyul had enough of her tough facade and on the second day of Solar weaving her final cloth forcefully opened the door to the room but instead of finding the love of her life, a crane was in her place. The crane quickly looked at the shocked woman and returned to her human form. The crane was indeed Solar. "Moonbyul...", she said and made her way to the shocked girl and took the woman into a warm, comforting hug. Despite Moonbyul's attempt to free herself Solar held a firm grip. "I'm sorry that I couldn't reveal my secret to you..." "But why...why did you have to give up your feathers?" "I did for you. I wanted you to have the money in case I might disappear without any trace. As a thanks for saving my life." "Solar! All I need is you! Even if we had to live in poverty I would be happy just by being at your side!", Moonbyul said with tears in her eyes. "I would love to stay an eternity by your side but it seems its over", the blond-haired girl said as she started to dissolve into feathers. "Solar?!? Solar?!? No don't leave me!", Moonbyul began and tears began to fall. She hugged the crane in hopes that the owner of her heart would stay with her. But to no vail. More feathers fell off from Solar. "I love you, Moonbyul. I love you from the bottom of my heart. I'm grateful for everything. From every memory we made together to the happiness to gave to me. Thank you." And with that words she complettly vanished and alongside her the feathers soaked with Moonbyul's tears. Only a single golden feather remained. Filled with sadness she fell to her knees and took the feather into her hand. She held to it and let her tear flow. "Solar...", Moonbyul whispered. She couldn't believe it. She didn't want to believe it. Her love is gone with the feathers of the seasons they spent together. Suddenly she heard a noise and she quickly made her way outside. There she was. The woman she fell in love so long ago. She didn't care whether a crane or a human, her love was true. Even if she had knew it from the very beginning...suddenly she realized something. "I'm grateful for the things you did for me." That were the words she spoke back then. Solar didn't mean that she took her in...it was a reference to that autumn day she freed the white-golden crane. She safed Solar's life and in return wanted to save her from poverty.

 


 

As she watched the crane take off with teary eyes. Just like back then, her feathers shone bright in the skies like a sun. But for her she is the only sun that exists.

"I love you, Solar. Thank you for being my sunlight that warmed my heart with love and joy."

"I love you too Moonbyul. Thank you for being the moon which guided me through the darkness of night so I could find love and joy."

 


 

Thats it for the first folklore. This one is based on the Japanese Folklore Tsuru no Ongaeshi (Crane's Return of a Favor). I also mixed it with the variation called Tsuru Nyobo (Crane Wife). The original (translated) version should be around the internet (although there might be variations of the story. I took the summary from Wikipedia). Right now I'm also undecided to go with the tale of Orihime & Hikoboshi, Cindarella or Little Red Riding Hood (this is probably gayness incoming though).

So what do think about this. Leave a comment if you like and like always. I hope you enjoyed the story and have a good day/night.