Chapter 9: Crossing Borders

Taken into Account
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jeongyeon got awoken by her reflex of feeling something falling from the grip of her hands. Her mind was fast to think ‘Was it all just a dream?’ but when her body came back to its senses it got reminded that it wasn't. She felt a bit of a sting over her shoulder. ‘I'm glad it isn't a dream.’ She glanced over her shoulder to see the younger girl leaning her head against her. She couldn’t help but smile at her situation, but the way the headphones pressed against her shoulders are hurting her. She moved slowly in attempt to remove the headphones without waking her up. She took her time slowly, maybe for another reason. She took a soft grip on the headband and slowly pulled it away from the girl’s hair. Mina doesn’t seem to be bothered, although she opened her eyes for a second, she fell back to Jeongyeon’s shoulders comfortably. ‘How can one be too adorable?’ Jeongyeon checked her watch. They were almost near, Mina must’ve been too tired to fall asleep fast. She wanted to stay like that forever, but they had something to do. Their stop was nearing and even if she didn’t want to wake the angel up, she had to.

Jeongyeon lightly tapped Mina’s shoulder. “Hey, it’s almost our stop”

Panic and embarrassment were quick to fill the younger one’s face as roses climbs up her face. “I’m so sorry!” She exclaimed in almost a whisper.

“You must’ve been tired? It’s okay! But we got to get going.” Jeongyeon assures her before looking back on the road. “That’s our stop.”

Mina’s eyes followed where Jeongyeon’s finger was pointing as they stand up together to leave the bus. It was 6pm already when they arrived, just as Jeongyeon estimated. They walked quietly (but not awkwardly) about 3 blocks from the stop, just from afar you would know it’s an electronic shop. Big speakers in the front blasting up some funk and a bunch of posters with different gadgets endorsed for sale. Mina was obviously in awe. Sure, there’s a lot of electronic shops but this one is huge and not to mention, they got good bargains. They walk inside slowly as Mina wanted to look at everything precisely, she treated the place like some sort of museum. This kind of makes Jeongyeon laugh but she appreciates how much the younger girl has the same interests with her. There was a lot of time to buy so Jeongyeon decided to check out the newly released Super Mario game. Mina followed her quickly as she didn’t want to be left alone.

“I’m really tempted to buy it.” Jeongyeon sighs out as she reads the game’s description.

“Why don’t you?”

“Well, I’m strict with my savings. I don’t want to lose emergency money or anything.”

“How long have you been saving?”

“It’s been years…” It’s like Mina activated something in her to make her think deep.

“Well, isn’t that a reason to treat yourself?” Mina says with a sly smile. Jeongyeon just stares at her for a moment and smiles back.

“You’re right.” Mina laughs victoriously. “You’ll regret not doing anything if you always keep yourself in a bubble, you know?”

“Hey! I’m not like that!” The taller girl rolls her eyes jokingly and started rethinking what Mina just said.

“Sure, you’re not. I shouldn’t be judging.” She shrugged off lightly. “But where are the Walkmans?” she suddenly realizes what their main purpose was.

“Oh, right!! Come here.” She motions the brunette to follow her who quickly complies.

The aisle was full of all types of cassette players. There were huge studio type ones and small ones that aren’t Walkman, but nothing bad. Everything seemed to be either brand new or used just once and then sold here. She follows Jeongyeon’s lead to the end of the aisle and there laid different types of Walkman players, which all looked fairly new despite its old release. Her eyes wandered around till her hands finds itself over the TPS-L2, same model as Jeongyeon’s.

“Hey, would not we get confused?” the taller girl jokingly blurts out.

“You’re right, but then we get to exchange mixtapes on random days, isn’t that nice?” Mina replies while still looking at every details of the player she grabbed. Jeongyeon could not tell if she was serious but that’s actually a cute idea. She can feel her ears turning red already, thank goodness the enchantress had her eyes on the player.

“That’s not a bad idea.”

Mina faces her and smiles.  “My ideas are never bad! I’m buying this! Let’s go!”

‘Well that was fast’ Jeongyeon internally thought. She didn’t want to end the day yet. Half because of how she’s enjoying how she’s feeling around Mina and another half because it’s been awhile since she went to this place, specifically this town. “Sure, let’s go.”

They went to the counter to pay the stuff they had. While Mina was paying Jeongyeon checked her watch. It was just 6:30. ‘Why is the time so slow today.’ They walked out with little bits of laughter and jokes. Mina was so excited to try her new player, thank god the cassette tapes and other accessories for the player were in the counter, they almost forgot about it and Mina wouldn’t be able to use the player if they did. Mina checks out the time and stops from walking towards the bus stop.

“Isn’t it to early to go home? We crossed the town’s border already anyway. Shouldn’t we enjoy a bit?”

‘Is she a mind reader?’ a smile creeps on Jeongyeon’s lips. “Well, I do know this town a lot and I already dropped myself curfew today, so”

The brunette laughed leaving the older one in confusion. “Self curfew? Really.”

She was in disbelief but Jeongyeon was serious about it, but laughs as well as she realizes it did sound weird. “Yea, I got rules over myself.” She explains shyly.

Mina stares at her for a moment before speaking. “You’re definitely touring me in this town tonight.”

With that, Jeongyeon starts walking opposite from the bus stop. They both noticed that as the sun was going down, people were starting to flood the streets. All going to the same direction, mostly teenagers with their boyfriends or with thei friends. Then it hit Jeongyeon, it was festival week, she thought she missed it last week, but she didn’t! She felt ecstasy rushing through her veins. ‘Best timing!’

“Mina, thank god our paths crossed today.” She said with sincerity with her eyes towards where the crowd is. The younger one is still confused, though.

“What do you mean? And you’re welcome?” she replies questionably as she tries to follow Jeongyeon’s fast paced steps. Then and there, carnival music hits her ears. They turned left two blocks after and the sounds gets louder, not only the music but the noise of the crowd as well. With just a few steps more the streets were filled with different colored lightings, everything was bright and fun. There were a lot of food stands and rides as well. It didn’t look safe to Mina, though. Her mind was already building up excused to drag Jeongyeon to the food stalls incase she wanted to ride to heaven.

“I thought I missed it.” Her smile contained so much excitement. It was like it’s the first time she saw something like this.

“Do you go here every year?” She asks in a louder voice as they were nearing the crowd.

“Well yeah.” She sighs deeply. The surrounding was distracting but Mina caught it. Jeongyeon notices the question on Mina’s face and didn’t le

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter