Chapter 5 : Small Town

Taken into Account
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“YA! Mina!”

“Uhm, Oh!- hi..”

“You’re always not listening to me!!” Tzuyu said while aggressively biting into her sandwhich. “It’s like I’m talking to a wall.”

“I was listening!!!” Mina lightheadedly answered. “But, the last part was blurry.” She added, almost in a murmur.

Tzuyu just rolled her eyes to the brunette’s response. “You’re impossible!”

“Nope.” she scrunched her nose, “Not really.” Mina shifts her attention to the stress ball she was playing for a while and realized her hands are tired from squishing it. “Tzuyu?”

“Hmm?”

“How old are you again?”             

“I’m turning 20 soon.”

Mina raises a brow. “You’re just 19??? I don’t believe you.”

“First time seeing a 19 year-old work?” Tzuyu replies with a smirk of confidence on her face.

The older girl smacks her hand on the younger one’s nape and chuckled in delight. “You’re a bit of a bumptious child, aren’t you?”

“Well hey, if there’s something to be proud of why not?” She swiveled her chair closer to Mina and spoke in a lower voice. “Not everyone here knows my real age. I got accelerated and pretty much had it easy in college.” Mina was left in amusement while Tzuyu backed her chair up.

“I really don’t want to believe this.” The amused girl says with a chuckle.

Tzuyu sighs. “Well, you don’t have to.”

 

Lunchtime’s almost up but Mina’s still busy munching on her egg sandwich, oozing with ketchup. Just the careful girl she is, she’s all covered with paper towels just in case the ketchup drips. And no, don’t tell her to go easy on the ketchup, you wouldn’t like a ketchup debate. She noticed the office isn’t as noisy as the usual lunch time. This kind of scared her, not because of the horror movie her dear sister forced her to watch last night reminds her of this scenario, but because she didn’t want to hurry on her sandwich and she thought their lunch break’s an hour long.

She noticed the table in front of her is empty. ‘Sana’s not here.’ She then shifted her gaze to the table diagonal to hers. ‘Music girl’s not in here too.’ She sighed in her head. “Too bad I wanted to ask where she bought the Walkman.”

“Huh?” Tzuyu stared at the brunette in confusion. “What Walkman?”

‘Oops, I said it aloud.’ Mina sighed and pointed at Jeongyeon’s table while pouting, “She has good music and her Walkman costs a pretty hefty price. I wanted to know if she knows where to buy cheaper Walkmans.… You know.. Since she likes music a lot maybe she knows a place.”

“We’re literally sitting in this office for atleast 10 hours every day, I’m sure you’d get a chance to ask her next time.”

They sat silently for a while after when their officemate, Momo, broke the ice and loudly read a text she just received: ‘Higher Officials Meeting! Well this has nothing to do with you but I’ve decided to cut the day off since it’s Wednesday. Enjoy the rest of the day!’ yeESS!”

It’s just the middle of the week but everyone sighed out of relief when they heard they’d get to go home early. Every job is pretty draining after all. Mina suddenly remembered Jeongyeon and Sana. She wanted to take the opportunity to atleast be able to take home a functioning music player. She isn’t a friendly person but she wanted to work that out on her new workplace. ‘Maybe I should ask Nayeon.. She seems close to Sana.. But I might just be assuming that—‘

“Tzuyu..”

“Do you have something planned already?” the tall girl, struggling to wear her leather jacket, asked.

Mina was hesitant to tell her and stayed quiet for a few seconds.

“Well I might need some company, Minari. Do you have anything planned?”

‘Ah forget it, I could ask about it next time.’ The quiet girl awkwardly started fixing her things to have some time to think. “Where are you going anyway?” She looked up to Tzuyu who kept switching gaze to her watch and the clock.

“You’ll see.” Before mina could even object, she bowed towards the seated lad to reach her eye level. “Don’t worry, I won’t kidnap you.”

Mina jokingly slapped her in response while laughing. “I mean c’mon I’m just three days into this work, how could I say you won’t?”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter