Chapter 7: Comfort Food

Taken into Account
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The scent of Gratin Dauphinois was embracing the walls of Jihyo’s house. She lives alone since college because her parents left to work in France, still associated with Jeongyeon’s family, though. As much as Gratin was unusual to hear, it is was a very tasty dish. Her mother often cooks this everytime they came back from France for a vacation, she told Jihyo how it was their comfort food and Jihyo understood why. She tried to learn the recipe by herself and usually cooks this whenever Jeongyeon is around as she loves the dish as much as she does.

Jeongyeon didn’t need to knock because she had spare keys to Jihyo’s house. “I’m he- oH that scent!!!!” She was hurrying and struggling to remove her shoes by the doorway. “I bought some drinks, if you don’t mind?”

Jihyo’s head poked out from the kitchen. “Of course I don’t! Put it in the chiller” she went back in but went out of the kitchen door this time. “Yoo Jeongyeon, pls fix your goddamn shoes, it ain’t gonna crawl on the rack by itself!” Jeongyeon just laughed while placing it on the rack. 22 years of friendship and she still forgets to put them on the rack even if Jihyo scolds her about it every single time.

 

She headed the kitchen and helped Jihyo who was already cleaning up. “It’s been in the oven for a while now. It will be ready soon.”

“Yeah the scents says a lot about it”

“Sooo, anything u wanna talk about?” Jihyo says as she leans on the sink, crossing her arms.

“Well… I don’t want to talk about Heeyeon.”

“Is that the only story in your life?” She mocked.

“Well there’s this gir-“ The short hair suddenly looked so excited. “No, it’s not like that.”

“No it’s NOT like that. SURE.” She said in a doubtful manner.

“It’s not like every time I mention a girl it means I’m interested with that person.” Jeongyeon grumbled in frustration.

“Yea but every time you say “there’s this girl”.. Alright let me list it down to you, first was Wheein, then when you met Eunha, what’s the name of the girl in your college senior year again? Oh-“ the girl who seated suddenly stood up.

“Okay stop!”

“And?”

“I do like her, But I don’t want to do anything about it.”

“Can you name her?”

“Well, she’s actually Japanese and her name is-“ – TING! The food is begging to be served and Jihyo wouldn’t make it wait.

“Okay, name her later, I’ll serve this first, go seat in the dining area while I arrange this.

 

They started eating savoring the rich garlic flavor on the soft potatoes. Jihyo being herself, she added a mountain of cheese on top of it and it melted in a heavenly manner.

“So we were talking about?” Jihyo said while raising an eyebrow

Jeongyeon totally forgot about what they were talking about when she took a bite on that gratin. “About?”

“This girl!!” she impatiently tapped her feet fast, emphasizing the last word.

“Oh.. she’s just new.. Her name’s Mina. I’m still not sure about it, though. I find her odd.”

“How odd? A Soo Young kind of odd or a Jisoo kind of odd?”

The older girl laughed at the mention of their college colleagues. “Not a funny kind of odd. Enchanting, I might say?”

“What if she’s a witch?”

“I JUST THOUGHT OF THAT THE OTHER DAY, please don’t scare me!” she had chills from Jihyo’s statement.

“You know I was just kidding. But why did you call her that?”

“Well I didn’t exactly, she just knew I needed to buy some milk.”

Jihyo snickered at her. “That’s just a coincidence, is she that pretty??”

Jeongyeon nods her head like there’s no tomorrow while taking another scoop of gratin to her plate.

“Maybe someone you’d introduce to me for the first time?”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter