Nine

Aquarians

Published on Jun 8, 2012 by kjdramas

This is a beautiful song and MV for the kdrama, Big. No copyright infringement intended. More details below:
Language: Korean
Song: Because It's You; Noraso
Artist: Davichi

In this chapter, Shin Hye discovers a chink in Yong Hwa's armor. There are also clues in all of my previous comments about the characters' past if you feel like being a bit of a Nancy Drew. To the story...


That evening, Hibari went to have a half-hour shower followed by an extensive skin care regime of face mask, cleanser, toner made from crushed strawberries, and moisturiser that cost about the same as a year’s worth of her school tuition.  She was just touching up the pink colour on her toenails when the traitorous Shin Hye Chan walked in.

Hibari couldn’t understand why Teacher Jung had picked Shin Hye for the debate.  The girl was the darkness to Hibari’s light, the night to Hibari’s day, the hidden fatty mayonnaise in Hibari’s sushi.

Unknown to Shin Hye, Hibari had argued with Yong Hwa about his choice extensively, but the usually apathetic teacher had been unmovable on the subject.

“Hibari, I don’t know how many times I have to tell you this, but you have no say in who stays in the dorm,” Yong Hwa had said after listening to her tirade for three quarters of an hour.  “Now be the leader you think you are, and help Shin Hye with her debate topic.  She’ll need to know about the Hana Kimi legend, so start by telling her that.”

Hibari sniffed at the memory and glared at Shin Hye through the mirror.  She didn’t want to help the new girl, but she had a feeling from the earlier look in Teacher Jung’s eyes that he would not be happy if she disobeyed him.

“Have you started working on the debate yet?” she asked Shin Hye in a snippy tone.

Shin Hye switched on her laptop, and turned around to face her hostile roommate.  “I’m starting work on it now.”

“You still have to do your best, even though you are leaving the Hibari dorm at the end of the week.”

“I will try my best.  I owe it to Min Hyuk.”

Hibari put down her nail varnish and spun around to face Shin Hye properly.  “I...have decided to help you so that the Hibari dorm does not lose this debate.”

Shin Hye’s brows went up.  “Really?”

“Yes.  Did you think that just because you betrayed me and hurt Seung Gi Oppa that I would let my pride get in the way of helping you?”

“Well...yes.”  Shin Hye’s first time through high school had taught her how spiteful girls could be.

Hibari jumped to her feet and put her hand on her heart.  “You wrong me, Shin Hye-chan!  Bullying is beneath me.  I like to tell people to their face what I think of them so that I have the satisfaction of watching them cry.  Now pay attention you Hibari traitor and enemy of Lee Seung Gi!  I am about to tell you the story of my first great love!”

“Ah.”  Shin Hye’s face fell.  Clearly she had been expecting a different sort of ‘help’.  Nevertheless, she respectfully kept her eyes on Hibari, and sat back in her computer chair to listen.

Hibari looked up at the ceiling window to the stars.  Their familiar constellations always made her feel closer to home – Osaka - which was where the story took place:

“Izumi Sano was a high-jump champion and the most popular boy at Osaka High.  He was shy, but he and I were destined to be together.  We would have been the best couple ever if it hadn’t been for the attack.”

“Attack?”

“Yes.  During a trip to the US, he was beaten badly after saving a girl from thugs.  His high-jump career came to a fast end because of his injuries.  It had destroyed him, or so we all thought.”

Hibari paused in her story to go scan the pictures of boys pinned on the room’s walls.  She approached one worn photo, pulled out the tack that was pinning it to the wall, and showed Shin Hye a picture of a tall lanky boy.  He looked unhappy about something, just like Teacher Yong Hwa did.

“The girl he had saved in the US felt responsible for ruining his future in high-jump,” continued Hibari.  “So she transferred to Sano’s school disguised as a boy.  Her hope was to see Sano jump again.  Can you guess what happened?”

Shin Hye observed Hibari’s tragic face and shook her head.

“In less than a year, that girl got him to jump again, and they fell in love.  It was mostly a happy ending - well - except for me.”

She swiped an invisible tear away from her eye.  “I could have torn them apart when I found out that she was a girl, but in the end, I decided not to.  She had made Sano so happy, and that was all that mattered to me.  That is what being a true Hibari girl is all about, you see...”

“Bringing happiness to every single one of the boys at Seoul High, the brother school,” murmured Shin Hye, repeating what Hibari had said to her on the first day St Blossoms.

“Exactly,” approved Hibari.

Shin Hye was silent for a while, and then she brightened.  “Hibari-ssi.  Thank you for telling me your story.  I think I understand you a bit better now, and I also have an idea that might win us the debate.”

Hibari patted Shin Hye’s arm as a form of encouragement, and hesitated.  For a moment she forgot what she was going to say.  Her heart began thump-thump-thumping faster than usual.  She stared at Shin Hye’s button nose and tried to shake off the frightening sensation of palpitations.

“I-I should think so!” Hibari finally shouted, removing her hand without doing any patting.  “Hibari dorm doesn’t like losing to anyone!  We are the best dorm with the best students and the best style with the best dorm teacher in the whole of South Korea.”

Shin Hye looked up at this.  “Best dorm teacher?  So, you are happy with Teacher Jung as the leader of Hibari dorm?”

“Of course.  He doesn’t interfere in my projects and he lets me run Hibari just how I want.  I like him even more now that I know he was once a famous kpop star!  He’s being oddly nice to you, too.”

“Huh!?  I think you might be wrong there, Hibari-ssi.”

Hibari twiddled with the ends of her hair.  “He was the one that asked me to tell you the legend of my first love.  I think he knew that it would help you in some way.”

Her roommate gaped, and then her entire expression softened.  Her eyes glazed over as she looked up at the stars.  “He did?”

“Mm!  Now, type fast, and then plan on how high you are going to wear your skirt for the debate.  Remember that the boys from Seoul High will be the judges, and they do not like you very much.  But there is hope...they might like your knobbly knees if you put a bit of blush on them.”