One

Aquarians

“Stop looking so scared, Unni!”

“Hm?” Park Shin Hye blinked and turned to look at her half-brother, Kang Min Hyuk.  He was sitting at the desk next to her, dressed in a girl’s high school uniform.  Yes, a girl’s high school uniform – the white blouse, the scarlet bow tie, the short tartan skirt and the black knee high stockings.  He looked like he could be her sister.

She closed her eyes and tried not to hyperventilate.

“We’re going to get caught,” she whispered.

“No we’re not!” he hissed back.  “If you’d only stop looking guilty.  Look, we fit right in!”

Shin Hye glanced around and counted twenty-six students sitting behind her.  Most of them were nervously staring down the surfaces of their cheap plastic desks.

It was their first day of school at Saint Blossoms High in Seoul: an all girls’ educational facility that was known for taking in students based on their appearances rather than their grades, and her half-brother, Min Hyuk was now one of them.

She watched him clasp and unclasp his delicate fingers until a shrill bell announced the start of classes.  The double-doors to the classroom swung open, and the new students rose up to greet their teacher.  Shin Hye tugged at her too-short skirt and prayed that she and her brother wouldn’t be found out by a teacher on the first day.

A man walked up to the teachers’ desk and gave Shin Hye a long disapproving look down his roman nose.  He looked like he might be homeless.  His brown hair was scruffy and fell in front of his eyes, making him seem more like a murderer than a teacher.  His shirt and jumper were wrinkled and in dire need of ironing.

He pulled his jumper sleeves up his arms and shared his disapproving look with the entire class.

“So you’re the new bunch of airheads,” he grouched.  “Congratulations on getting into a school that has more interest in the size of your facial pores than your future.”

Behind Shin Hye, one of the students giggled.  The elder stared the girl down until she shut up.

“There are three dorms you can choose to stay in.”  He held up one finger.  “Dorm one:  Hibari – worshippers of all things related to the boys at Seoul High.”

Shin Hye cringed.

The teacher held up a second finger.  “Dorm two:  Jocks – don’t join if you don’t like sport or they’ll use you for boxing practice.”

He cleared his throat and leaned on the edge of the teacher’s desk.

“Three: Arts – Beware!  You’ll have to have a very open mind to handle them.  The dorm's student head believes that just because she knows how to spin cotton that she is going to be the next Ghandi.”

Shin Hye smothered a laugh behind her hand.

“That’s all I have to say.  You’ve got less than a minute to make your choice before the Dorm Teachers take you to your rooms.”

“Wait!  Excuse me, Sir!”

“What?  What?”  The elder turned to give Shin Hye’s brother an odd look.  “Was it you that spoke?  What do you want?”

“Um...What dorm are you in charge of?”

The room temperature dropped a couple of degrees just as the teacher’s eyes narrowed.

“Now let’s get this straight, Miss-whoever-you-are.  During your time here, don’t even think about talking to me outside of classes.  I am not interested in your problems, and if you dare to develop a crush on me, I will humiliate you so badly in front of the other students that you will have to transfer to another country to escape the shame.  So don’t burden me with any of your girly crap.  Got it?”

“Yeees Siiiir,” Min Hyuk replied in a deflated voice.

The teacher gave Min Hyuk’s boyish hair an odd look before storming out of the classroom.

The moment he was out of sight, Shin Hye let out a sigh of relief and sat back down in her chair.  She decided that if anyone was going to find out that Min Hyuk was a boy, it had better not be that man.

“Hibari,” said a small girl sitting behind Shin Hye.  “That teacher is second-in-charge of Hibari...in case you still care what dorm he is in charge of.  My sister used to go here.”

Min Hyuk’s face brightened at the information.  “Really?  Thanks!  Well that settles it.  Shin Hye, we have to join Hibari!”

“Hi-bar-i?”  Shin Hye winced at the idea of staying in a dorm full of boy-crazy teens.  “I was hoping that we could stay in the Arts dorm.  That place sounded like more fun.”

Min Hyuk gave her a dose of his puppy-dog-eyes.  “Please, Unni.  Please!  Remember why we came here.”

She sighed and stared down at her uniform.  “Don’t worry, I haven’t forgotten.  Let’s just hope that Teacher Jung isn’t as cranky as he seems.”

The girl sitting behind her looked puzzled.  "How did you know that he was Teacher Jung?"

Shin Hye shrugged the girl's question off and looked at her brother.

Teacher Jung Yong Hwa was the main reason why they were there.