Three

Aquarians

Yong Hwa led the new Hibari students out of one building and into another surrounded by a garden of green hedges and white flowers.  When they went inside to Dorm One’s mess hall, Min Hyuk made a small noise of approval at the light and bright interior.  It was cleaner than any boys’ school he had ever been to.

“Aren’t you glad we picked this place, Unni?” Min Hyuk said to Shin Hye.  “We could eat off the floor here.”

Teacher Jung pointed to a set of stairs at the corner of the room.  “Up those steps are the bedrooms.  I want you to use them to go far away from me and unpack.  Your luggage would have been delivered to the rooms by some of the girls.”

“Yes, Teacher Jung,” the students chorused.

“Hold on a moment!” ordered a high-pitched voice.

The voice had come from the side entrance to the hall.  Everyone spun around to look at the five girls that had appeared before them like magic.  They were dressed immaculately in the school’s blue blazer and red tartan skirt.  The girl standing in the centre stepped forward and gave the new students an appraising look.

“Teacher Jung,” she said in a commanding voice.  “Forgive me, but have I given my permission for any of the new students to join the Hibari dorm?”

Yong Hwa lifted his eyes to the ceiling.  “Hibari.  I don’t know how many times I have to tell you this, but you have no say in what students stay in the Hibari dorm.  Sad for you, I know.”

Have I given my permission?” she insisted.

“No, but you’re a student, so you don’t have any say-”

She raised her hand to silence him.  “Enough!  I have decided to give these girls a chance.”

“Great!” came Yong Hwa’s sarcastic reply.  He turned to the students and shrugged.  “She’ll take care of you from now on, so don’t come seeing me outside of classes.  This girl is nuts, but-”

“Stop!” Hibari raised her hand to the teacher again.  “I appreciate your kindness Teacher Jung, but I would like to introduce myself if you please.  Hello new students!  My name is Hanayashiki Hibari.  I am head student of the Hibari dorm and I am also head of the Hibari-“

“-FOUR!” cheered the four girls behind her.  Pom-poms appeared out of nowhere and then disappeared again.

“Yes, behind me are the Hibari Four.”  Hibari confirmed.  “Consider these girls as sub-leaders of our dorm.  Our mission is to bring happiness to every single one of the boys at Seoul High, our brother school.”

“Hibari-FOUR!” cheered the four girls behind her.  Cue more pom-poms.

“We have transferred here from Saint Blossoms, Osaka to show you how to treat the boys well.”

“I thought we transferred here because Osaka found out how old Hibari really was?” whispered one of the Hibari Four.  She had a pony-tail done up on the top of her head.

“Be quiet Komari!” hissed Hibari. “Now!  In order to be a member of the Hibari dorm, you must pass an important test.  Within your first week here, you must prove your loyalty to the boys of Seoul High.  This does not mean dating them, kissing them or anything else that your Eomma would not be proud of.  It means bringing them happiness of the wholesome kind.”

Min Hyuk gave Shin Hye one of his eye smiles.  He knew exactly what made guys happy.  Music, sports, food and the sight of a pretty girl...He was aware that he might be a little lacking in providing the latter.

“If you do not prove your loyalty within one week,” continued Hibari.  “Then you are banned from this dorm forever!”

“Seung Gi,” whispered one of the Hibari Four.  “Don’t forget to mention the rules about Seung Gi-ssi.”

Hibari twirled a finger in her wavy hair extensions.  “Ah!  Thank you, Komari.  I forgot to mention that if any of you flirt with the most popular boy at Seoul High, then you will be banned from the Hibari dorm for the rest of your life.  Lee Seung Gi-ssi doesn’t know it yet, but he loves me, and we will be dating very, very, very soon!  That is all.”

The students gave Hibari and the girls an awkward bow, and the lecture was over.

“Phew!”  Min Hyuk smiled.  “That is a relief, Shin Hye Unni.  I know exactly what makes guys happy, so we should have no trouble in proving our loyalty.”

“Do I really have to do this with you?” whined Shin Hye.  “Can’t I just join the Arts dorm?  Hibari looks scary, and I don’t like spending all my time impressing boys who think that they’re masters of the universe.  Besides, what about Teacher Jung?  I noticed that you didn’t even try to stop him from leaving.”

“One thing at a time, Unni.  He looks like he might try to kill me if I push him too hard.  Besides, you know why you have to be in same dorm as me.”

“Yes...okay.”  She massaged her temple with one hand as they walked upstairs to find their bedrooms.  “One thing at a time.”