Chapter 27

Aquarians

“Answer me,” Shin Hye repeated in a higher tone.  “How do you know about my twin?”

Seung Gi’s hand shook against the tree.  “I was her friend at school.”

“You’re too young to have been her friend.”

“I am her good friend!  I was just too young to think that age mattered.”

She clutched the paper to herself, like it was a part of her sister that he’d been holding hostage from her.  “You said that your secret had nothing to do with my family.”

“No.  I said that it would never hurt your family, and I meant it!”

“Then why did you kept threatening me with Min Hyuk?  Shin Hye’s voice croaked.  “Why did you try to deceive me into liking you?  What if it had worked?  You hateful, hateful person!”

“I didn’t want you to like me!” he protested.  “I wanted you to get to know me, to like me as a friend.  I...tried so hard.”  His voice wavered.  “I wanted you to like me, so much, because you are her guardian.  You are the closest thing she has to a parent.”

Shin Hye stared.  He was slowly kneeling down on the ground in front of her.  His back was bent as if he was beaten down by some invisible pain.  It looked agonising.

She read through the official paper again, and the lace fell from her eyes.  It was so clear to her now; what Seung Gi had been hiding.

He was in love.  Deeply, achingly in love with her twin sister.

“I ask your permission to visit her,” he begged.  “Even if you don’t trust me, I need your permission to visit her.”

Shin Hye softened.  “Do I seem that wicked to you?”

His face was wild when he looked up at.  It wasn’t like him at all.  “I didn’t know what kind of person you were.  I didn’t know if you hated her or loved her.  I just...had to try something to get to her.”  His eyes went to the piece of paper.  “Do you know if she is well?”

She hugged the paper tighter, afraid he might snatch it from her.  “Yes.  She is well.  The nurses call me every now and then to let me know how she is.”

“Ah.”  He hesitated before speaking again.  “Do you know for sure?  Have you seen her?”

She lowered her head.  “No.”

“Ah.”  He slumped back onto his legs, looking miserable.

Shin Hye bit her lip.  It was hard for her to talk about her sister.  Even Min Hyuk knew to steer away from the topic.  “It’s a long story.  I don’t go to see her because she doesn’t like me very much.”

That was an understatement.  The last time they had been in the same room, her sister had been screaming horrible, horrible things at her.  Shin Hye had accepted it all because, in a way, she had deserved it.

She took a deep breath.  “I betrayed her.  She begged me not to send her to hospital, and I tried not to.  But in the end, something happened to make me give up on myself.  I decided that I wasn’t strong enough to take of her.  And she has been there ever since.”

Inside the dance hall, the students cheered, and a new song started.  For some reason it made Shin Hye ashamed.  She always felt ashamed of being happy when she thought about her sister.  And now, she had Seung Gi’s hidden pain to add to that.

“I’m sorry,” she whispered.  He must have been missing his friend from the day she went to hospital.

Seung Gi looked up at her.

“Forgive this wicked Noona for not knowing about you,” she added, voice shaking.

Slowly, cautiously, he nodded.

Shin Hye wiped her eyes and turned the paper in her hand.  “And I will sign this form on one condition.”

His face lit up.  “Anything.”

There was no doubt about it.  Seung Gi was not acting.  He really loved her sister.  Everything he had done up to this moment made complete sense now.

“No more blackmail.  No more tricks.  And no more flirting with me to get what you want.”

An echo of his smile appeared.  “The flirting just comes naturally.  I can’t help that.  But could you...”  He raised himself up off the ground and stood before her.  “I know that this is pushing things, but could you sign it so that I can go and see her tomorrow?  I can’t wait any longer.”

“Yes,” she agreed.  “It’s been such a long time.  Would you mind if I came with you?”

He looked a lot happier.  “If that’s what you want, then yes, but you don’t need to.  You can trust me with her, Shin Hye.”

She nodded.  “I’m not coming because of you, dummy.  That would just upset her.  I just want to see her room and have a talk with the nurses to find out if she needs anything.”

He let out an excited laugh.  “I can’t believe this is happening.  Shin Hye!”  He took her hands.  “Shin Hye, tell me if this is too much, but I have this mad desire to bring some more friends to visit her.  Satisfy my craving.  Can I bring them?”

“Other friends?”

“Mutual friends of hers and mine.  She’d love to see them,” he assured her.  “They always made her laugh, and they’d make you laugh too.  Shall I ask them?  The eldest can pick us up tomorrow.  You can meet him and the others before we go to see her in case you don’t approve.”

“I didn’t even know that my sister had so many friends,” she murmured.  “I thought I knew everything about her.”

He strode up to her and threw his arms around her.  “Thank you, Noona!”

She nodded against his jacket, even though she didn’t feel like she deserved to be thanked.

At least someone was happy.

“Are you coming back in?” he asked once he’d let her go.

“No.”  She shook her head.  “I’m going to stay out here a bit longer.  It’s too hot in there.”

He looked concerned.  “Do you want me to stay out here with you?”

“No!” she waved her hand dismissively.  “Go away.  I’ve always taken care of myself.  Go inside.  Tell Hibari an excuse for me, will you?”

“Okay.”  He laughed, punching a fist in the air like Min Hyuk.  For once, he looked like his real age.  “You are an awesome Noona!  Awesome!

She smiled back.  “Go you big child!  I’ll be in soon.”

He winked.  “Awesome Noona!

With that, he disappeared behind the door with the happy music, and she was left alone.

Alone to deal with the shock of what he’d said.

All at once, her body flopped.  The brave smile she had been forced to wear quivered and fell from her face.  The sparkle went from her eyes and transformed into heavy wet tears.  Something with the weight of a brick hardened over her heart, while the lantern hanging from the tree shone accusingly into her face.

It had been so hard to keep her feelings and secrets to herself.  So terrifyingly hard.  She had fought tooth and nail all along these years to keep her strength and sanity when those she loved the most had left her one by one.  And now, someone had opened the door and let it all fall out.

A small sob escaped , and she covered it in shame.  She had to be strong for Min Hyuk, but the memories and nightmares of losing her Appa, her Eomma, and most of all, her sister, came rushing out at once to knock her down.

It hurt so much that she closed her eyes and wished that she could fall into an endless sleep.

Only, someone wouldn’t let her.  They were taking her into their arms and holding her warm and safe and close and whispering comforting words in her ear.

He kissed her softly on her tear-stained lips and she inhaled the familiar scent.

She now had no choice but to wake up.