Twelve

Aquarians

Shin Hye didn’t get to stay and hear the debate results.

As soon as the velvet curtains had closed, Teacher Lee had dragged her back to his office for more talks about potentially damaging her white lotus flower.  This was then followed by another hour of watching cookie baking, kiss blowing, correct hand-holding and chocolate mould making thanks to Jung Shin’s video.

The entire session had left her feeling brainwashed, so she decided to go and clear her head in the garden before facing the girls of Hibari dorm.

“Finally!” said a familiar voice from behind the tree she was leaning against.  “Does Teacher Lee like you or something?  I thought your detention would go on forever.  I wanted to speak to you before I left.”

Shin Hye glared at Seung Gi, and had to content herself with that.  She needed a chance to gather her strength before she whipped him some more.  She found a soft spot on the grass and sat down on it, crossing one leg over the other, and made sure that she was facing blue sky and trees – not him.

“Shin Hye-ssi...” he teased in a sing-song voice.

The flower of a weed was dangled in front of her eyes, and she swiped it away like it was an annoying fly.

“Are you that mad at me?”

To prove how mad she was, Shin Hye didn’t answer.  He tried teasing her with the flower again, but she yanked it away from him and threw it in the grass.

“Yah!  I’m trying to be nice here!”

“Why did you make that announcement!?” she demanded, flicking her hair out of her face.  “Saying something like that to the entire school was the most stupid, selfish thing you could ever do to someone you care about.  Were you always this stupid?”

Seung Gi gazed out at the view of trees and grass.  “Aaaah, Shin Hye-ssi.  If there is one thing I am not; it is stupid.”

“You could have fooled me.”

“Come on Shin Hye-ssi.  I know you’ve had a hard day, but did you really accept what I said to the others as the truth?  Tsk, tsk, tsk.”

She stopped frowning, and shaded her eyes with one hand so that she could look up at him.  “What are you talking about?”

Seung Gi grinned at her.  “I was channelling Lee Min Ho - Go Jun Pyo from Boys Over Flowers - and you have to admit that I did it with way more style than he did.”

“You were pretending?!”  fell open.  “Why?!  What on earth for?  Did you think it was funny to act like that in front of people who care about you so much?”

“Shin Hye-ssi!  Try and think about things from my point of view.  I’ve had an entire school of girls chasing me for many years now.  I’m tired of it.  I need a break, and you arrived so fortuitously.”

“I am not your break!  Go make someone else your break!”

“Don’t be like that, Shin Hye.  We’re going to pretend to have a romance so that I can live the rest of my school life in peace.  In return, I’ll protect you from the bullying that will no doubt be coming your way as a consequence of being by my side.”

“I can take care of myself!  As for a fake romance, I’m not going to be a part of it.  As soon as I get back to the dorm, I’m telling everyone that you confessed to me as a joke.  They’ll believe my story over yours because no one, especially Hibari, will want to think that you’re actually interested in me.”

He sighed.  “That’s a shame.  Then I’ll have to blackmail you into being my girlfriend.”

“Pssssht!”  Shin Hye blew out her cheeks.  “Listen to you!  Yah!  Lee Sung Gi!  I am not scared of you or any other boy.  Do your worst!”

He cleared his throat.  “I could tell your teachers that you’ve already graduated high school once in this lifetime.”

She froze.  “A-ah.”

“I could also tell them that your sister is actually your brother?  I don’t think they’d like that.”

went dry.  “H-how did you...but you apologised for calling her a boy!!!”

“I lied.”  Seung Gi’s tone wasn’t unkind.  “I knew the truth the first day we met, Shin Hye-ssi.  Once again, I’m very sorry about patting you down like that.  That was an honest mistake, but I was one hundred per cent sure your brother was not a girl, and I was determined to prove myself right.  I’m accurate about most things, you see.”

Shin Hye flushed pink.  “So...did you just guess my age by looking at me?”

He chuckled.  “After I managed to evade you and your bat, I did some research on your brother to confirm my suspicions.  Your age came straight out of the old choding yearbook.  Don’t worry, I haven’t told anyone...yet.”

“And why haven’t you?” she shot at him.

He crouched down next to her and dimpled.  “Because I do like you.  Just a little bit.”  He lifted his thumb and forefinger in the air to show her what a ‘little bit’ looked like.  “You remind me of someone I used to be friends with.  Lucky for you, they were honest, funny and extremely caring.”

“You’re forming a character judgement using someone who looked like me?  Don’t you think that’s a little strange?”

Seung Gi pretended to think. “Hmmm.  Yes, it’s a little strange, but you do look so much like her that it’s hard to ignore.  How about I tell you more about her if you agree to have a fake romance with me?  Come on, there’s free flowers and chocolates involved!”

In spite of herself, Shin Hye let out a little huff of a laugh.  “You’re good at blackmail.  Okay, Seung Gi-ssi, I’ll play along, but only because I trust you...”  She lifted her thumb and forefinger.  “Only a little bit.  As for my story, it’s up to you whether you believe me or not, but my brother and I have good intentions while attending St Blossoms, and I am making sure that he behaves himself while he’s here.”

“That’s a relief,” he answered.  “Now Shin Hye-ssi, I have some homework for you to do.  Say Oh!”

Shin Hye stared at him.

Seung Gi lifted his brows at her.  “Say Oh!”

“Oh!” she repeated, rolling her eyes.

“Now say Pah!”

Realising what he was trying to get her to say, Shin Hye hissed at him and lifted her hand to slap him behind the head.

With a laugh, Seung Gi rolled away from her and straightened up.  “See you around, Noona.  I have a feeling that our fake romance is going to be very amusing.”

Without waiting for an answer, he hurried across the field back to Seoul High, waving back at her on occasion and blowing meaningless kisses.  Shin Hye waited until he was out of sight before chuckling.

He was a cute blackmailer, but she wasn't ever going to let him know that.