Ten

Aquarians

Poking fun at Jong Hyun in a Gentleman's Dignity in this chapter...to the story:


Hey!”  Jung Shin shouted into the microphone.  The sixty lucky boys and girls in the auditorium clapped and stomped their feet on the floor in excitement.  Coloured spotlights flashed over the drama teacher’s handsome face as if he was hosting a live game show.

He pointed to the screaming kids at the front and smiled.  “Welcome to St Blossoms first annual debate!”

“Jocks will kick Arts' asses!” someone called from the back row.

Jung Shin narrowed his eyes.  “Who said that?”

The students turned around to look at Coach Lee Jong Hyun, who was sitting in a chair at the back.  He had an innocent expression on his face, but Jung Shin did not look convinced by it.

“Contrary to ignorant and archaic beliefs,” continued the Arts teacher, “Debating is not a sport, it is a chance to be creative.  Today, the three selected students will be fighting using only their minds to defend the values of their dorms!  Any violence from the Jocks team will result in penalty points.”

This was followed by mixed cheers and boos.  At the back, Jong Hyun switched on his laptop and downloaded an episode of the drama, Secret Garden.  He made a point of sticking his headphones deep into the canals of his ears.

“The three speakers will come on stage in about five minutes; please make them feel welcome!”

“I am not going to make Shin Hye welcome!” said one female student in the fourth row.  Her voice carried further than usual in the large room.  “She hurt Lee Seung Gi Oppa!”

The audience once again went into mayhem as people cheered, booed and laughed over Shin Hye.

Jong Hyun ignored them and turned up the volume on his laptop.  Next to him, Min Hyuk leaned over so that he could watch stalker Hyun Bin gaze deep into Ha Ji Won’s eyes.

“Awwwww.” Min Hyuk cooed into Jong Hyun’s ear.

Annoyed, Teacher Lee took off the headphones and glared at the strange girl blocking his view of the laptop.

“You’re Kang Min Hyuk, aren’t you?  Park Shin Hye’s cousin?” he asked.

“Sister,” corrected Min Hyuk.  His eyes didn’t waver from the laptop screen.

“Shouldn’t you go back stage and support her?”

“Unni?  No.  Unni can take care of herself.  She took care of me when Eomma died.  She’s very mature for her age.”


“Eom-ma!”  Shin Hye whimpered to herself.  She was hiding in a dark corner between two rows of backstage curtains.  “I can’t believe this, but I am still scared of standing in front of a group of mean kids.  How is that possible?”

With shaking hands, she reached in her pocket for the blush Hibari had given her.  It slipped out of her fingers and slid across the stage floor before coming to a halt against the curtains.

Shin Hye huffed her hair out of her eyes and walked over to retrieve it.

“Let me get it,” said a baritone voice.  A big hand reached for the pink compact, and her eyes connected it to an arm, and then to a unique dimpled grin.

“You!” She shouted, pointing one finger at him.  “Don’t come near me!”

Lee Seung Gi toned down his charming grin a little bit.  “I won’t hurt you.  Last time was an accident.”

She sighed.  “Do you really expect me to believe that?  And stop making that face!  Your smile doesn’t work on me.”

“That’s strange.  It usually works on everyone.”

“Give me my compact.”

His eyes twinkled.  “This thing?  I don’t think I will.  You’ll probably hit me with it.  Besides, I don’t think it’s yours.”

“Yes it is.”

“Then why does it have ‘HH&LSG Forever’ engraved on the back?  Did you steal it from Hibari?”

Shin Hye bared her teeth at him in annoyance.  “No.  She gave it to me to use.”

“For your cheeks?”  Seung Gi examined her face.  “I wouldn’t do that if I were you.  You’re don't look like Snow White today.  All your blood is rushing to your head because you’re nervous.  Also, your cheeks are really puffy.  Did you sleep at all last night?”

Her hands went to her cheeks.  “Stop it!”

“Oops.”  Lee Seung Gi’s grin was back in full force.  “I made them worse.  Now your head looks like a very fat tomato.”

Her eyes widened.  “You hateful person!  Give me back my compact and then wait around for me if you dare! After my speech, I’m going to whip you until you’re the one that looks like a fat red tomato!”

“Okay,” he nodded, approaching her with small steps.  “It’s a date!”

“Bah!”  Shin Hye threw her hands up in the air.  “There’s no talking to you!  I don't know how to make myself clear to you!  I am going to finish what I started on the first day we met.  Does that ring any bells?  Wait!  Why are you coming closer?”

“Don’t be scared,” he said, getting to one knee before her.  Shaking the compact, he opened it with one deft flick of his thumb and pulled out the brush.

“W-what are you doing?” she asked.

“I won’t touch you, so just hold still.”

He blew the excess blush away, sending a cloud of pink dust into the air.  Shin Hye then felt a strange tickling sensation on her knees.

“How did you know I was going to do that?” she asked, gazing down at him.  The soft brush glided over her knees in circles.

When he was done, Lee Seung Gi closed the compact with a snap and then leaned back to look up at her.  “I’ve seen the Hibari Four do this a thousand times.  I don’t pretend to understand it, but Hibari seems to think it makes her girls look prettier.”

“I...normally wouldn’t take her advice,” confessed Shin Hye, looking uneasy.  “But I need all the help that I can get.  Besides, I think I may have underestimated Hibari.”

“She’s easy to underestimate,” he said, getting to his feet.  “I hope you can redeem yourself, Park Shin Hye.  Despite appearances, I have no control over the mob out there.  You will have to win this fight by yourself.”

Shin Hye thought about how Yong Hwa had told Hibari to help her, and she felt calmer.  “Somehow, I don’t think I am alone.”