one

Hearts Don't Lie
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Once you fall in love, your heart becomes connected with the one who you have eyes for if they return your feelings. That is how love works in this universe. After you share a first kiss with reciprocated feelings, then your hearts will be linked. It is like possessing two heartbeats; one is yours, the other is your partners. So you know how they feel even when you are separated from them, no matter how far the distance. In this world, no one should bear the pain by themselves. Happiness, sadness, excitement, all emotions should be shared.

You know your parents hearts are connected, they often go on and on about their first connection in university, rubbing their love life in your face. Your father always comes rushing in the living room when you and your mother are watching an occasional horror movie since he can feel your mother's heartbeat speed up. You find it cute and being able to feel how the other is feeling means that you know when not to annoy them or when they are in pain to comfort them.

"Gayoung, just remember you don't have to rush in finding someone you love." Her mother constantly reminds. "Just dance with all your effort for now. Dating on campus is not that thrilling anyways, all those girls shot lasers at me when I was dating your father. There were some even trying to steal kisses from him to connect their hearts!"

Of course, if it is possible to connect hearts, then it should also be possible to disconnect them. Then that is only fair for the people who have fallen out of love with one another.

There's a process you have to go through to disconnect your heart with someone else. You have seen a fair share of couples doing it with serious looks on their faces and even though everyone is familiar with this process, people still stare.

To disconnect your hearts, the two have to turn their backs on each other while holding hands. Then they will say goodbye, before letting go and walking opposite directions without looking back. Sounds bittersweet, yeah your friends who have never dated dramatically sob over it sometimes. As for some people you know of in your university who have dated a lot of times, they're immune to this process and never cry while doing it anymore and like to get it over with as fast as possible.

You fall in the category under those who have yet to have their first connection. You are sure that if you are going to have a first connection with someone, that someone has to be Byun Baekhyun. How great will that be, to share your first kiss with one of the most talented singers you know? You don't exactly want to calll it a crush.

You have known him ever since freshman year. He is in the same friend circle as several of your friends. That is how you got introduced to him but as of now the both of you are friends. It truly is a challenge to take that status to the next level and you don't want to make any risky moves that might destroy that friendship.

If anything, just let my first connection be with Baekhyun! You clasp your hands together, praying to the Goddess of Love in your head. Can you make my wish your priority? If you do, I will never ever procrastinate during dance practice ever again.

Something thumps on your head in the middle of your prayers. You open your eyes to be snapped back to the real world, and two of your seniors are standing in front of you with their hands on their hips.

"Seo Gayoung, go fetch the bluetooth speakers. Dongwon forgot to bring them."

"M-me?" You blink.

"Yeah, you. Fifth floor, you know where to get them."

Damn it. Why me?

You trudge your way to the storage, dragging your heavy feet along the floor. One thing you hate about the storage room is that it's located on at the end of the fifth floor of the building. It's the most deserted place and sometimes the lights don't even work. The school should really start taking note of this for the sake of weak-hearted people like you.

Standing in front of the storage room door, you shove the keys in the keyhole and twist it. You push the down the doorknob and swing the door open. The room is dark with all the lights off, but the sunlight flooding through the small windows calms your nervous heart. What if a ghost pops out? You suddenly think which sends shivers down your spine. You spot the bluetooth speaker on the shelf next to several others. When you get your hands on it, you scurry out of the room, making sure to lock the door behind you.

You are about to be on your way, but you feel like you can hear music playing. You can hear it so clearly, as if it's being played right next to you, but there's no one here. You scratch your head and wonder if you might be imagining things. There are a pile of stacked boxes next to the storage room full of new instruments that have yet to be unpacked. There is a little opening between the boxes, enough for a person of your size to squeeze through. The music seems to be coming past these boxes.

Behind the boxes, you discover a door, its paint starting to peel. There is a sign next to it though the words have been cancelled off with a black marker. The square window on the door is covered with newspaper. You place your hand on the door, pushing it open ever so slightly. The sound of the guitar continues to be played and you stand there for a minute or two, bobbing your head to the music as your hands follow the dance movements in your mind. You don't notice that the music has stopped and at that moment, the door opens wider.

"Ah!" You widen your eyes at the person so close to you. Your body leans backwards first instead of your legs stumbling and you find yourself losing balance. You brace yourself because there's nothing for you to hold on to and you don't expect this person to help you.

An arm circles around your waist, turning you around. At the same time, there is the sound of something wooden falling on the floor. You open your intially shut eyes. There are a pair of wide eyes staring back at you and the distance... too

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter