Two

I really just wanted ice cream

Days started to go by. I strolled around "my" new city often with a dazed look upon my face. It was sinking in that I was thousands of miles away from home. If I were born Dorothy I would be saying to my canine friend, We are not in Kansas anymore Toto. I only explored during the day because my mother called me and texted me often to remind me that I was a single woman in a foreign country and anything could happen to me. She sent a lot of scared emojis just for empathise. Thanks mom because it was that last message with sad face that did me in, I bought a new chain for my door.

I was relieved that Kim's Language Acedemy was so close along with a couple restraurants, convenience stores, gift shops and an interesting shop that sold odds and ends. I discovered that it was there that Lee Jinki could be found. He had inherited the place from his grandparents when they retired and moved to Hawaii. I said HAWAII! I often fantasize about the islands since I am from the Midwest where we get only a couple options in weather- Winter or road construction. Blissful it is not. But I digress. Lee's Emporiuom is interesting to say the least. It's kind of a gift shop slash book shop slash candy store. It was quirky and I liked it. Plus Jinki was there and he was fun to talk to. I found out that he had been a student at the academy a while back because he thought it would be helpful in dealing with customers at the shop. According to Kim Kibum, the only other employee at the shop I was the first and only English speaking person to set foot in the shop. 

Kibum, who preferred to go by his nickname Key is a very interesting young man. His language ability was envious! I think he spoke English better than I did. He is very fashionable and has a witty yet savage sense of humor. I had hoped that we could be pals. 

Leading up to the starting date of my grand entrance into teaching I worked on several assignments to get me prepared plus took a crash course in learning the Korean language from one of the older instructors, Mr. Min. All of the people at the academy were friendly and helpful. I still felt like a fish out of water but at the same time I didn't mind. Min Namgoong was patient, charismatic and very handsome. I had to tell myself to get a grip and quit acting like a high school girl with a crush on her teacher. I am pretty sure he figured me out right away because he liked to tease me often which resulted in rather red cheeks. I no longer needed to wear blush with my foundation. After a couple weeks of tutoring I was able to retain a greeting with my name and a short intro on my class course. I was about to make my debut.

One afternoon while heading back to my apartment I made a quick detour to Lee's to look for chocolate, a book and conversation. I got all three that ended with Key telling me that I needed a better wardrobe, a few shots of soju and the will to date Korean men. I nearly spit out my soda.