Shallow End Of A Dream Chapter 7

Shallow End Of A Dream

Chapter Seven: Her

 

       “I love you” HyungJun said awkwardly, then closed his eyes and grumbled.

“No… No… No…” YoungSaeng groaned in frustration, holding his head with his hands and rubbing at his temples.

“I’d dump you if I were her!” KyuJong said lips quirking upwards and he bite off the apple in his hand.

 

       They’ve been practicing for hours now, all this to help HyungJun learn how to confess properly to EunAh, but they weren’t progressing at all. “I’m so awful!” HyungJun pouted sprawling down on the floor.

“Yes, you are” KyuJong said teasingly but regretted it when he saw YoungSaeng glaring at him. The eldest took a deep breath, “Look!” he said hesitantly, “It’s not school and you are not doing your homework here, ok?... You should put everything into it Jun. You are going to confess to the one you love and with your confession you shall win her heart over, but the way you are doing it now…. It’s just not possible.” He sighed leaning back into the couch.

 

       “Jun! It’s EunAh you’re going to confess to! She’s broken hearted and she can’t trust or believe anyone and you know that better than all of us!” KyuJong was trying to be good and not evil for the first time of that day, “It’s not just telling her that you love her… you should make her trust you first, loving you back is the next thing you need to worry about!”

They were all silent for a while until HyungJun got up to his feet and went to the balcony for some fresh air.

“Jun?” YoungSaeng called and wanted to get up and go after the young man when he said; “I’m Ok… just need to think, alone! “

       Autumn was coming to an end and winter was imminent. The weather was getting cold and it had snowed a little the past few days. Shivering from the cold, HyungJun leaned against the railing and closed his eyes in order to concentrate. They were right, he needed to try harder, to be that special someone whom EunAh can trust and love. First of all he needed her to trust him. But how? How is it possible? How? He ran his fingers through his dark hair and sighed. “No matter how, you have to do it HyungJun!” he whispered to himself.

 

       Looking at the younger man from inside, YoungSaeng turned around and kicked KyuJong hard in the shin.

“Ouch!” was KyuJong’s first reaction, “What?” he grumbled rubbing at his foot.

“You’re not helping at all Kyu!” the older man stated concerned about HyungJun, “So just keep quiet, please!”

Moving out of YoungSaeng’s reach, KyuJong said, “But he needs to know what he’s going to deal with, EunAh’s not going to be easy to handle when it comes to love and relationships!” he explained.

The pianist was about to retort when HyungJun came back into the room; “He’s right Saeng” he interrupted their quarrel, walking towards them, “She’s not just like any other girl, I should try harder!”

 

       YoungSaeng looked at HyungJun then put his hand on his shoulder, “You just need to trust yourself. Listen to your heart and what it tells you, and then everything’s going to be ok! Trust me man.”  After looking at KyuJong, he smiled and continued, “And we are always ready to help.”

Nodding, the young man smiled at his friends sheepishly, “Then practice again?”

“Oh NOOOOOOOOO…” KyuJong protested.

Chuckling, YoungSaeng turned to KyuJong with a mischievous smile, “Want me to kick you again, Kyu ah?”

Swallowing, the other man pouted up at his two friends “Ok… but why do I have to be the one acting as EunAh?!... I hate it when Jun talks like that… it’s ewe… creepy.”

Trying not to laugh at the pout, the oldest friend pursed his lips in thought then said, “Since you’re her brother I think…”

 

       Then they started arguing again over who suited EunAh’s role best, and the practice continued, even though KyuJong was totally against it.

####################################################################################

 

       The volume of her music was so loud in her earphones; it could be heard from afar. She was wandering around the city for two hours and now she was wondering if she was lost? As she was walking, two guys came close to her and blocked her way. ‘They’re looking for trouble’ she thought. Annoyed that she had to stop the music, the girl gave the guys blocking her way a wry look.

 

       They were smirking horribly but she didn’t care, because to her, they were just some weaklings trying to waste her time a little. One of the guys took one step forward and pulled out his hand to take hers when a guy from behind warned him; “I wouldn’t do that if I were you, kid!”

The bully turned around to see who was talking and he saw an attractive, tall man leaning against the wall with arms across his chest, he couldn’t see his face but his red hair was shining in the dim light of the alley; “Why would I listen to you?!” he asked.

 

       Pointing to his groin, the tall man hissed as if he was in pain; “Because she kicks really hard!”

The girl pouted, “You’re a killjoy JungMin-san.”  JungMin laughed at the pout. “I don’t believe you.” The guy standing near Nagisa said. “She’s just a girl.”

Shrugging his shoulders, JungMin turned away, “Don’t forget I warned you!”

The guy hesitated a little but then took her hand, but he wished he’d listened to the warning the tall man gave him, because Nagisa took his hand and kicked him hard in his family jewelry. He shouted in pain and fell on the ground, his friend kneeling down beside him afraid and unable to think properly. JungMin came closer, looking down at the poor guy, “Told you so!” then he took Nagisa’s hand; “Let’s go!”

 

       After some moments, Nagisa said, grinning, “However, I don’t remember ever kicking you!”

JungMin chuckled, “Well… no need to be kicked to understand that… you’ve got strong feet!”

She smiled, “I think I take that as a compliment then?!”

“Yeah” the redhead laughed. It was just like they were young kids again, it felt really good.

“What were you doing here anyways?” Nagisa asked. Stopping in front of a bar, JungMin said “Visiting a friend.”

“A friend?” Nagisa was surprised, “You?... here?”

The guy laughed, “Just come inside, you’ll see!” he dragged her into the bar. The bar that he’s been coming to since last month. The bar he can’t stop himself from going to.

 

       Settling in JungMin’s usual place inside the bar, they waited for someone to come and take their orders when the young man brightened up and waved to a girl, “Hey Haily.” He said happily. The girl was blushing a little to see him here and smiled back, “Hi Mr. Park. How are you?”

“I told you a thousand times for the past month, DO NOT call me Mr. Park. I’m JungMin… can you understand? J-U-N-G-M-I-N.” he said with a pout.

Haily blushed more but said nothing.

JungMin insisted: “Say it now!”

Nagisa chuckled at the two and when the girl looked at her confused, she just said: “he won’t give up, so just say it!”

Haily was having a hard time but finally managed to say, “J-JungMin”, which he smiled brightly at when he heard his name from her, and then he pointed to Nagisa, “Haily this is Nagisa, my old friend. And Nagisa…” Nagisa interrupted him, “And this is Haily, your new friend. Hi Haily, nice to meet you!” she smiled and took her hand gently.

 

        “Yeah.” JungMin said. “Now, please sojo.”

Haily bowed to them and was about to leave and bring the usual order when a hand stopped her, it was Nagisa, who was now glaring at JungMin; “Oh No you don’t drink tonight young man.”

“But why?!” JungMin pouted.

“Because I still remember the last time you got yourself drunk” she was frowning now remembering how awful JungMin gets when he’s drunk, “You were tripping over your own feet and we had to carry you home, which was not easy at all while you were blabbering on about everything all the way home. And if it was not for HyunJoong’s sake you would have gotten yourself killed by hitting on that huge guy’s girl and…” she was talking non-stop now.

 

       “Now who’s blabbering, Miss?” JungMin said wearily and a little annoyed to hear about those things again, though he knew Nagisa was right. He’s got the most sever habits after drinking.

“Don’t drink then I’ll stop, but if you do then I’ve got a lot to say!” she said jabbing her finger at him.

He put his hands up to show he’s surrendered, smiling sheepishly; “All right! You won.”

Haily was silent throughout the whole friendship argument but couldn’t help the smile and the laughter escaping at the way the young man gave up so easily. Usually he would have his own way no matter what! Then Nagisa looked at her and laughed, JungMin following not long after.

“So what should I bring you then?” Haily said still chuckling.

“Anything non-alcoholic, please!” Nagisa ordered immediately.

 

       After Haily got back with their order they asked her to join them. JungMin and Nagisa started talking about the past, school years and how much fun they had, spending all their times together. Talking about their wishes and those fine days. Haily also was having a great time. Hearing those things and how her new friend, the great Mr.Park’s son, used to be when he was younger made her happy.

 When it was time for them to leave, the redhead looked at Haily; “Haily, could you please call us a cab?” he was stretching out his arms mumbling; “Oh God! I’m so tired…”

“Sure.” The young girl said and stood up, when JungMin’s cry of pain stopped her, looking at him worriedly, she asked; “Are you ok?”

JungMin glared at Nagisa who was grinning at him, and hissed; “What the hell was that for?”

“Call a cab yourself Mr.  She’s your friend not your servant!” Nagisa stated.

Still suffering from the pain, he said, “But she does it every time and never protested.”

Nagisa took a deep breath and looked up at the confused girl looking at them with a kind smile, “It’s because she’s very nice and you’re being a jerk abusing her kindness like that. Now get that big moving or else I’ll…. “

 

       “All right… all right… FINE!” The redhead groaned but stood up to go and call the cab himself, knowing what would happen if he didn’t. Nagging all the way, leaving the girls laughing at him.

“You must be good friends otherwise he would have kicked you back or something. I’ve never seen him like this to anyone.” Haily said, wiping away the tears from her eyes due to laughing so much.

“We are and he didn’t kick back because he knew I would kick him harder.  I think I’m the only one who can face him, because I’m a thousand times worse than him and he knows that.” Nagisa explained smiling at the other girl, “Hey tell me, are you guys dating or something?” she asked.

Haily blushed at the thought of dating someone like JungMin and said, “No… we just met each other a month ago… we hardly know each other… we are just friends.”

 

       Seeing JungMin reappear from the crowd, Nagisa whispered to Haily, “Well… I shouldn’t be saying this but I think he likes you! He’s very happy around you and I can tell that just by looking at the way he talks to you or looks at you.” She paused, “But… Don’t forget, he’s an idiot!” Haily couldn’t help the blush spreading on her face but laughed at the comment.

Back at their seat, JungMin picked up his bag and shook hands with Haily, “So, see you soon Haily.”

“Yeah! Sure” she answered.

Nagisa hugged her, “It was a pleasure meeting you dear! Hope to see you soon.”

Then they left and Haily got back to work. It was a good day.

#####################################################################################

 

       The sun was setting when the meeting HyunJoong was attending finished. It was a little chilly but he didn’t care, it was a good day, so he decided to take a walk and handed the documents to his driver and started walking to the hotel since it was not far away.

 

       He was enjoying himself when he saw a familiar and suspicious figure entering a cramped and dark alley. It was him, he had no doubts. Following the guy HyunJoong stopped when he saw two strong men blocking his way. Trying to get out, he was stopped by a kid who punched him hard. Touching his now bleeding lips, he grinned and punched him back and caused the kid to fall on his back, but the guys grabbed him by the hands and held him still for the younger man, who seemed to be someone important to them, to take revenge. HyunJoong was suffering from the pain but he never once let out a cry or anything, he could beare it but he couldn’t bear to be laughed at by a kid. The kid stopped when his boss called him, “Hey GD, stop it. We’re leaving.”

 

       Huffing at the order, the young man called GD, took HyunJoong’s hair in his fist and faced him, “Don’t mess with the Red Dragons you weakling.”

HyunJoong couldn’t hold back his laughter, “Tell your boss I’ll take my revenge one day very soon. Tell him to wait for me.”

The young man kicked him again in the stomach and then left. “Do you know him guys?” he asked his bodyguards when they were in the car. The big guys just shook their head, “No.” was the cold reply.

“What does he have to do with boss? Who is he?” GD thought.

 

       Lying on his back, he looked at the sky, it was cloudy, “It’s going to rain soon”. He whispered.

“Damn you SeungHyun… damn you…” he cursed, “What the hell was he doing here? Who was that brat?... Ouch! It hurts to move…” he though.

       It was hard to stand up but he did it and leaned against the wall to hold him still. The pain was causing him to faint, slowly he slide down and sat on the floor, eyes closed. After some moments he heard someone calling his name, unable to see through blurry vision, he said: “HyuRi?!” he closed his eyes; “Run… he’ll hurt you, just run!” and then he fainted completely.

 

To be continued....