Shallow End Of A Dream / Chapter 6

Shallow End Of A Dream

Chapter Seven: Pain And Anger

 

       Entering the kitchen, which was still filed with staff doing their jobs, HyunJoong asked a young guy in uniform, “Hey… where’s the chef, kid?”

Looking at the owner of the hotel, the young guy pointed at the end of the corridor, showing a room; “That’s her room, sir.” He said. Letting go of the guy, the angry boss stormed into the room, looking around to find MaeRi relaxing in a chair and then started questioning her, though he knew he shouldn’t be acting like this, but he couldn’t stop it. ‘Why am I being like this?!’ was going on in his mind over and over again.

 

       MaeRi was resting in her room after doing all the works for her boss’s party all by herself. She thought she deserved it since everything went well that night; or at least that was what she thought before the door of her room suddenly opened and Kim HyunJoong stood there, looking angrily at her.

Eyes as big as a saucer, she looked at her boss, smiling awkwardly and stunned. Swallowing hard, she weakly said: “Is… everything ok… sir?”

“I thought you were working for me!” HyunJoong said dryly, looking directly into her eyes.

If everything up to now was confusing her, HyunJoong’s words and attitude shocked her. ‘What have I done to this man for him to hate me so much?!’ she thought, unable to speak.

Getting no answer, the older man continued: “I thought I told YOU to do all the preparations for the party tonight… but I didn’t see you around!”

MaeRi opened to say something but stopped, knowing it would just make him angrier. So she kept quiet and let him continue; “When I ask you to do something, it is YOUR responsibility and I don’t want to see anyone else doing your job for whatever reason it is you’ve got. I hope it’s the last time!” HyunJoong said and then left for his own room, leaving the door open.

 

       Watching his back as he left, the helpless woman started to cry silently. It just hurt so much… why is he acting this way?... why she’s the only one to be yelled at for every little thing… she knew he doesn’t like seeing her, so she decided not to ruin his night and asked one of her colleagues to go instead, thinking it would be better… but it turned out to be the worst idea. ‘What a terrible night!’ she murmured, still sobbing.

 

       Stepping into his room, HyunJoong closed the door and slid down to the floor, still shaking. He ran one hand through his silky hair and put the other hand on his heart, which was beating rapidly in his chest. He was confused. He shouldn’t be acting like this. “Am I going crazy?!” he whispered, “Or… do I really…“ He stopped, and then shook his head firmly, “No, I don’t.” but he wasn’t sure about his emotions anymore, feeling his heart beating like crazy.

The rain was pouring outside again and he was still sitting on the cold floor, staring into space, and thinking... thinking about the past… the present and the future…

#####################################################################################

 

       Parking his beautiful and very expensive car in front of the house, the redhead took out the keys to open the door when a familiar but not so pleasant giggling caught his attention. Looking the way he heard the sounds, he clenched his fists in anger. It was her again.

Ever since he remembered, it was the same; his mother going out and coming home late at night with another man. His father was no better; closing his eyes and pretending not to see anything. He never called this place his home because it was not a home; there was no real family, no love, no trust, no happiness, no comfort… it was just money, business and fame. He was not loved, not even by his own mother. Always alone and on his own, he wished he had someone to truly love him and care about him. That’s why he never called them his family, since they were just living together in the same house. 

 

       Turning his back on the two a few steps away from him, JungMin decided to leave when suddenly the woman called his name, “JungMinnie… oh… hey baby…” she was drunk, it was obvious from the way she was talking.

Looking over his shoulder at his drunk mother leaning against the young boy, he smirked, “When are you going to stop it?!”

“Stop what, Jungi ah?!” She asked, hiccupping and starting to move closer to him.

“Stop pretending to be my mother, will you?” he said, facing them, flames of anger burning in his eyes.

Stopping mid way, the drunken lady hiccupped again; “But Minnie… I am your mother…” She said.

Crossing his arms over his chest with the smirk never leaving his face, JungMin said, “Oh, yeah?... but I don’t think he’s my father!” he was looking at the boy now.

Looking between the two boys, the woman looked down and said nothing.

Laughing loudly and nervously, the redhead shouted; “Stop acting like you feel ashamed for it…” a pause, “Stop acting so innocent.” Then he looked away exhaling in frustration; “At least hit on someone older than your own son!” he added loud enough for her to hear, and then got into his car and sped away.

 

       A while later, he found a small, deserted bar, feeling the need to drink, so he parked his sports, black and red Bugatti and got inside.

The bar was quiet with just some people hanging around at that time. Sitting in a dark corner of the room he closed his eyes and only opened them when he heard a kind, soft voice calling for him.

There, in front of him, was standing a pretty girl, still in her twenties, with short, straight, dark hair and beautiful dark eyes which were adorable and attractive.

But the first thing that captured his attention was not any of these; it was the innocent look in her eyes and the small, shy smile on her lips.

“Sir… your order please?!” the girl said blushing a little since Jung Min was staring at her.

At the blush on the girl’s face, JungMin coughed into his hand and looked away, “Vodka… Sojo… wine… whatever you’ve got… I want to pass out tonight… I need to…” It was raining outside again.

Looking worriedly at the guy who was now looking out at the rainy night, she sighed before leaving, “In a minute, sir!” she whispered and left immediately.

 

       He drank a lot, he could barely stand on his feet, but the pain was not gone… he was still feeling lonely… sad… tired… and he hated it. He hated to be like this; weak and hurt. Every time he met his so called family these feelings came back to him.

He was the only customer now. Looking around, he saw the little stage and some instruments at the other end of the room. Slowly and as carefully as possible, he managed to go there and started to play the drum and whispering a song:

… Is it just me who is missing you?

Staying awake through the tiresome night

Thinking about you

Try as I would to hate you more

I yearned for you once again

Is it just me who shed tears and felt hurt?...”

He stopped playing when drops of tears fell onto the drum. Rubbing his eyes with the back of his hands and sniffling, he cursed at himself… “Stop it… you are not a kid… why are you crying?!”

“Not only kids cry…” he heard an amazingly calm voice talking to him; he turned around and saw the girl from earlier. Looking at her with watery eyes, he forced a smile, wiping away his tears, “It doesn’t seem like they’ll stop anytime soon…” he said, “Damn… I’m so miserable.” He looked down and averted his eyes.

Stepping closer, the girl said, “If they don’t stop it’s because they’ve been held back for a long time … let them come out… you’ll feel better…”

Blinking up at the girl now standing beside him, surprisingly, JungMin was feeling better, though the tears were still flooding out. Then he leaned into her embrace and cried just as a child cries in his mother’s arms.

She was stunned at first when the guy leaned into her, but then she gave in and held him and played with soft, red strands of hair, trying to calm him. 

They both knew they shouldn’t be like this, but let it go since they both felt so at ease and calm, holding each other like that.

#####################################################################################

 

       There was a heavy traffic on the way home and the traffic noise and the downpour were making it even harder to tolerate.

“There must be an accident.” HyungJun said wearily, looking at EunAh, who was sleeping now, from the rear-view mirror. Yawning, KyuJong looked at him and smiled: “Hey! When are you going to talk to her” he asked, poking HyungJun in the arm.

“Hey” the other guy yelped at the poke laughing. “Well... I don’t know...” he said, staring out of the window, “You think she’s ready for it?!... to be in a relationship again?!” he asked.

       Tapping on his knee, KyuJong answered: “Don’t know…” he paused, “She’s a very sensitive person, you know… and that jerk made her go through a lot. I know she’s still hurt but I know that she needs someone to trust… someone to love… and you wouldn’t know if she’s ready or not if you don’t ask!”

       HyungJun hesitated a little before asking: “You think… she… um… am I good enough for her, Kyu ah?!” a deep red spreading on his face.

The older man smiled at his younger friend and put his hand on his shoulder reassuringly, “More than good enough… you’re perfect…”

HyungJun smiled brightly at the comment.

“But then it’s her we’re talking about… make her trust you HyungJun and love her so she can feel safe… I know you can” KyuJong added.

Nodding, the younger man said determinedly; “I will!”

EunAh moved a little in her seat, cracking one eye open, “We’re stuck here, aren’t we?” she whined then closed her eye again.

“Yeah... sleep sis! We’ve got a long ride home.” KyuJong said, smiling at his sleepy sister.

“It’s gonna be long long night!” HyungJun pouted.

#####################################################################################

 

       Swallowing her pills, she was ready to sleep. However, wrapping the blanket over herself, she pursed her lips before sitting up again and calling Sara, who was about to leave the room; “Sara?”

The nurse stopped; “What is it Nagisa?”

“Please promise me something!” She said, pleadingly looking at the older woman.

Sara raised an eyebrow at that and gave her a “tell me what” look.

 “Well… promise me that you won’t tell anyone about my condition… ok?...” Nagisa said hesitating a little, “They’re my friends and we just met after years, so I don’t want to make them sad or worried. Please?”

Sara’s lips curled up into a mischievous smile: “Then who am I? Travelling with you all over the world?”

Huffing, Nagisa looked up at her: “You’re my friend… ah... from… college?!”

Sighing, Sara just smiled at her, “Ok... I’m just a friend and I happen to be a nurse and since you are not cautious about your health your father hired me to take care of you…”

“No way… they won’t buy it… think of something better!” the youngest pouted.

Sara laughed; “All right! We’ll come up with something, but now you need to rest!”

“Promise?” Nagisa insisted on her answer.

“Just if you promise to be more careful from now on and listen to what I tell you. Nagisa! Take it seriously… you should be careful…” Sara was repeating the same old things again when the other girl cut her; “OK! Whatever, it’s not that I’ll be with them for long. I’ll do as you say just don’t let them know anything.” She didn’t like to be obedient.

Shaking her head; the nurse blew her a kiss and turned off the lights; “OK! Promise” then she closed the door and left.

 

       Lying down on her bed again, she closed her eyes and smiled. She was happy that she could find her best friends again, and more important to find the guy she loved. She felt better now.

Leaving her friend and naughty patient in her room, Sara went to the lobby. From that night, she kept going there in hope of finding the pianist. Meeting him, talking to him and listening to his music felt good, real good; and she couldn’t stop herself from going to that especial spot. First she lost hope, she didn’t even know his name how could she ever meet that amazing guy ever again?? But now that they met again in that spot tonight… it was like a miracle to her and she was thankful to whoever that helped her find this guy. She smiled when she heard the sound of piano in the lobby, leaning against a wall and looking at the young man she said; “I thought you left!”

Looking up from the piano he smiled; “Well… I didn’t.”

 

To be continued….