Shallow End Of A Dream Chapter 13

Shallow End Of A Dream

Chapter 13: So Close

*

*

*

2014

 

       They’ve been eyeing the hotel from inside their car, which was parked in front of the hotel at the other side of the street. The weather was so cold, now that it was winter. The guy standing beside the car rubbed his bare hands together and breathed into them to make them warm, then he saw the little boy coming towards them.

       The kid was short and thin. He was dirty and it was obvious he had not eaten proper food for a long time. As he got close to the men he sniffed and said; “It’s a Christmas party! I think the owner has opened up another hotel or something… that’s all I could get! Now, can I go?!”

       The man sitting at the back seat of the car, nodded, then the guy standing outside patted the little boy on the shoulder, “You can go!” then he gave the poor boy some more money, “Happy new year boy!”

The boy smiled and took the money from him and ran away, maybe to his home, if he even had one.

Smiling at the boy he got in the car, “So?!” he asked, looking at his boss from the rear-view mirror.

“He hasn’t learned his lesson!” the boss said and then he looked at his dongsaeng; “This evening shall not be as fun as they want it to be!” he smirked.

“Sure!” the other guy said and started the engine.

“Take Seungri and TaeYang, too!” the boss looked at the hotel one last time; “And it should be just an accident, GD. Just an accident!” he confirmed.

“Ok! Just an accident!” he nodded in agreement; grinning.

The car drove away without anyone noticing it and disappeared into the crowded streets of Seoul.

###################################################################################

       KyuJong parked his car in front of a very beautiful, and of course, expensive restaurant, smiling.

“Tell me, what are we doing here exactly?” Nagisa asked impatiently.

KyuJong didn’t answer her question but turned around to see Sara sitting at the back, smiling at her, he said; “He’s waiting for you in. They’ll take you to him!”

“Who’s waiting for her? What’s going on?” Nagisa was annoyed.

The other gitrl did as he told her and got out of the car; “Merry Christmas, Nagi, Kyu!” she said before closing the door and heading to the restaurant.

Once she was out, KyuJong started the engine and drove away. Smiling or sometimes chuckling at how impatient and annoyed Nagisa looked because she didn’t know what was going on.

###################################################################################

       Stepping into the restaurant, Sara stopped at the door and looked around. It was a huge and beautiful restaurant. While she was looking around a waiter came to her; “Ma’am, may I take your coat?” he asked. Sara nodded and handed him her coat. “This way.” The guy pointed to the stairs leading to the second floor. There was no one in that restaurant; “Is it always like this in here?... no customers? “ Sara asked softly, still looking around.

“No… it’s usually crowded, but today it’s booked for the man waiting for you upstairs.” He said.

“He booked the whole place?” Sara asked in surprise.

“Yes. This way. You can sit here.” He took a chair and she sat on it. Then the man left.

       It was beautiful, all the tables were covered by white tablecloths and on every single table there were some beautiful red candles burning. The light of the floor was dim and with the candles burning it was just magnificent. At the end of the room, there was a piano, surrounded by burning candles in different colors and different shapes. Watching the piano, she stood up and went towards it. Just as she stood the music started playing and then an angelic voice started singing a beautiful song:

As I look into your eyes
I see all the reasons why
My life's worth a thousand skies
You're the simplest love I’ve known
And the purest one I’ll own
Know you'll never be alone

My baby you
Are the reason I could fly
And 'cause of you
I don't have to wonder why
Baby you
There's no more just getting by
You're the reason I feel so alive

Though these words I say are true
They still fail to capture you
As mere words can only do
How do I explain that smile
And how it turns my world around
Keeping my feet on the ground

I will soothe you if you fall
I'll be right there if you call
You're my greatest love of all

      

       After he finished playing, the man looked up and saw Sara smiling at him with tears in her eyes. He smiled up at her; “HI”

What else could he say? It was just awkward. He stood up and then stood right in front of her, she was crying now; “Hey, you ok?” he asked softly.

She nodded then put her hands flat on the man’s chest; “I loved it… “She said and leaned into him.

       Cradling her in his arms, he smiled; “So does that mean… erm… that you… “He was having difficulty now, saying it directly.

She smiled in his chest, she knew what he wanted to say so just said; “Yes… this means exactly what you think.”

His face went red but he smiled, happy and satisfied with the outcome of the confession.

“It’s weird though,” Sara said, leaning back; “It hasn’t been long since we met and now we are here… “

“Not weird… “ he said, stopping her, “I fell in love with these beautiful eyes the minute I looked into them… and I felt like I knew you even then… but well… it’s not important… “He was stuttering again.

She smiled; “Yeah… not important… and I feel I fell in love the same way.”

Now, they were just staring into each other’s eyes lovingly. Young Saeng smiled brightly, then he ducked his head, he stopped around , just to make sure she was ready and wanted it too. Sara leaned in and closed the mere distance between them.

Not everyone can fall in love like that, meeting once then falling in love; but it’s what they call love at first sight and they believed in their feelings for one another.

“I love you” YoungSaeng said, eyes closed, resting his forehead against Sara’s.

“I love you, too!” Sara smiled.

They stayed like that for a while before the guy from earlier came in and asked for their orders.

They sat at one of the tables and ordered. The night was going to be good.

##################################################################################

       “Hey! Wait.” Nagisa said, still not comprehending what was happening, “Who’s waiting for her?... why is  she going alone?... hey Kyu…” she poked him in the arm. The young man chuckled and looked at her for a brief moment before looking back at the road, “What?” he said.

“Tell me what’s happening?!” she said pleading like a child, “Please?”

“Well… she’s going to meet YoungSaeng there…” he was cut by her, just like always she wasn’t going to wait and listen until he’s finished.

“Who?... YoungSaeng?... But why?” she said.

KyuJong stopped the car and crossed his arms, looking away.

Wondering why he stopped so suddenly she asked; “What is it now? What’s wrong?”

“If you’re going to interrupt me while I’m talking, just like you usually do, I’m not going to talk to you ever again. And you won’t hear a thing from me.” He said still looking away, but he was grining.

She huffed, “Ok! I promise I won’t.”

Looking at her happily, KyuJong said; “Yaksoko?” and he took his little finger up in a pinky promise. Nagisa smiled and took his finger with her little finger; “Yaksoko!”

The man’s lips quirked upwards and he started the drive again and told her the whole story about YoungSaeng and Sara and what was going to happen tonight. Parking the car in the parking of the hotel, he got out and locked the car, “I justhope she likes him, too.”

Nagisa puffed her cheeks then pouted at KyuJong; “Why didn’t you tell me about them sooner. Maybe I could have helped.”

He smiled and hugged her; “Well, just because I promised YoungSaeng Iwouldn’t tell anyone about it… and if I’d told you, could you have kept it to yourself and not tell Sara?” he looked at her, one brow raised up.

She pouted again; “Well… even if I told her I was helping them in their relationship.”

KyuJong poked her nose lightly, “Then what are confessions for?”

She smiled, he was right, then they held hands and headed to the lobby. “Still, I’m mad at you guys, keeping something from me. And besides, I knew they had something for each other.” She stuck her tongue out playfully.

       The lobby was crowded, the music was playing and people were talking and laughing in groups.

“Hi Nagisa” a soft voice called from behind them. They both turned around and saw JungMin with a girl. Nagisa immediately recognized her friend; “Hey Haily!” she was beautiful in her purple, sleeveless dress and the make-up was very good. Nagisa hugged her. “You look awesome… wow!” she stated and Haily just blushed.

KyuJong came closer to them, “Hi”

“Oh hi, Kyu” JungMin said.

“Hi” Haily said, holding Nagisa’s hands, blush still visible on her face.

“When do you want to learn these things?” Nagisa poked JungMin hard in the ribs.

“Ow! Hey!” JungMin said in pain, “Learn what?” he groaned.

 KyuJong and Haily were both laughing at them.

“Introducing your friends, idiot!” Nagisa said looking directly into his eyes.

“Oh! You’re right!” JungMin smiled sheepishly and scratched his head; “KyuJong, this is Haily my friend and…”

“Nice to meet you, Haily!” KyuJong said; “I’m Kyu Jong!” he bowed to her.

“Nice to meet you, too!” she smiled and bowed to the young man.

“I don’t think they need me to introduce them!” JungMin whispered to Nagisa and she laughed at him.

“Haily!” Nagisa said, taking her hand again; “Let’s go.”

“Hey! Where are you taking her?!” JungMin protested, “I didn’t come here to spend the evening with Kyu, here.”

Everone laughed and Nagisa stuck her tongue out at him. “I’m just borrowing her for a while!”

“Yah!” KyuJong punched his friend’s shoulder playfully, still smiling, “What’s so wrong with spending your time with me?” then he pouted; “I’m so hurt!”

“Ouch!” the redhead rubbed his shoulder; “Why do you guys keep hitting me all the time? Is it so hard to talk?” then he looked at his friend and chuckled at the cute pout on his face, “Nothing’s wrong!” he tweaked KyuJong’s nose, “It’s just that I can’t dance with you… and I can’t… you know!” there was a glint in his eyes now.

KyuJong laughed at him; “No we can’t do those things but we can always talk!” he said.

“Yeah!” he was now looking at where the girls were standing, talking and laughing, “Talking is good.” But he said nothing.

“So?!” KyuJong said after a while; “Friends?”

Without looking at him, JungMin just nodded his head, “Friends!”

“Wanna talk about this new friend?!” KyuJong asked.

       JungMin turned to the young man by his side, smiling; “Not much… it’s just that she’s twenty-two… half American, half Korean… her mother died when she waseighteen and since her father is a jerk she decided to leave home and come here to live with her mother’s best friend.”

“And how did you guys meet?” the older man asked smiling, he knew this was the first time JungMin was having a relationship with a girl and even if he insisted on being just friends, he knew there was something about the girl that JungMin loved. It was obvious from the way he talked about her or just the way he looked at her.

“Oh… that…” JungMin started to talk about their first meeting. It always felt good to talk to KyuJong, he appreciated his friend’s accompany.

###################################################################################

       A while later the music for the dance started and the couples danced together.

Wearing a white, sleeveless dress with white high heels, MaeRi looked like an angel. She was standing in the corner wondering if it was ok to be there or not. Well, after all she was the head chef not one of those wealthy guys in the lobby.

A pair of hands hugged her from behind and then he kissed her bare shoulder.

Yelping, the young girl clapped one hand over in surprise. Seeing it was HyunJoong she exhaled in relief, “You scared me.”

Kissing her neck, he held her closer, “Why?... I’m not a ghost, am I?”

She chuckled and shook her head. Turning her around, HyunJoong looked at her from top to bottom and raised one brow.

The girl blushed and looked away, “What are you doing?” she said, “It’s embarrassing.”

“I don’t like your dress!” HyunJoong said crossing his arms.

Eyes going wide at the rude comment from her boyfriend she asked; “Why? It’s beautiful… I guess?!”  then sighed sadly, “I thought you’ll like it!”

“I love it!” HyunJoong hugged her again; “But it’s just too revealing! That’s the problem.”

MaeRi smiled, “So what should I do now? Want me to go and change?” she teased.

Leaning back, he smiled and poke her nose; “No! Just stay here!”

“But it’s dark here…” she pouted.

They were standing at the corner of the lobby, and the lights to that part were dim or off.

“You’ll be the light then, Angel!” HyunJoong grinned.

       Hearing the music, he held out his hand and asked her; “May I have the honor of dancing with you, miss?” he smiled.

MaeRi’s heart fluttered at the words and then when he asked her to dance, she willingly accepted it.

You’re in my arms

And all the world is gone

The music playing on

For only two

So close together…”

One hand around her waist, the other holding hers, he started leading the dance, looking at her. She looked up at him and their eyes met. She could see love in his eyes. But she knew he wouldn’t say it much. However, when he says it he really and truly means it. “I love you!” she said, leaning up to kiss him. HyunJoong smiled and leaned down for a kiss. He loved her, of that he was sure.

And when I’m with you

So close to feeling alive…”

#################################################################################

       Seeing the dance was getting started, JungMin excused himself from the guys he was talking to and walked to where he saw Nagisa and Haily talking together.

Holding out his hand he smiled at Haily; “Shall we?”

Nagisa smiled; “I guess I should go!” then she left.

Blushing at the request, Haily hesitantly held up her hand to him.

JungMin was happy to be able to hold her like this, so he sang along with the song, into her ear;

A life goes by

Romantic dreams must die

So I bid mine goodbye

And never knew

So close was waiting

Waiting here with you

And now, forever I know…”

She closed her eyes and listened to him. When he stopped she huffed; “Don’t…”

JungMin looked at her questioningly: “Don’t?!” wondering if he did something wrong.

Her cheeks turned red and she buried her face in his shoulder; “Don’t stop singing… I love it when you sing…”

It felt good to be loved… even though she just said she loved his voice, that felt good; “As you wish!” he said, holding her closer and singing again:

“All that I want is to hold you

So close…”

#################################################################################

       EunAh didn’t want to attend this party but again, she was forced to come because of her father. Well she usually comes without complaining but this time was different, she didn’t want to face HyungJun, not now. When she spotted the young man coming to her, she flushed and tried to pretend that she hadn’t seen him. It was not long ago when she rejected him.

“Hi EunAh!” HyungJun said happily just as usual. After all nothing could affect this optimistic young man.

“Oh!... Hi Jun!” EunAh said, trying not to look in his eyes, “I’ve been looking for KyuJong… got any idea where he is?!”

Looking around he spotted him dancing with Nagisa, so he smiled and said; “I think he’s busy.”

“Oh! Ok.” She looked at her feet. It was awkward.

Blushing like he always did, HyungJun held out his hand to take EunAh’s; “Shall we dance?”

       Since HyungJun Jun was her brother’s friend she could never stop seeing him, so it was better to act normal, just like nothing has happened between them; “Yes... I guess…” she smiled and he held her in his arms for dance.

So close to reaching

That famous happy end

Almost believing

This one’s not pretend

Now you’re beside me

And look how far we’ve come

So far

We are

So close…”

Not able to hold back his feelings anymore, he leaned forward to kiss EunAh, but she pulled back a little; “Hyung… I thought we talked about it!”

Nodding, HyungJun said; “We did!” but he claimed her lips in a kiss. A long, deep and sweet kiss. “I love you, EunAh!” he said when they pulled back.

‘Why did I kiss him back?’ she criticized herself, then stepped out of his embrace and turned away. She knew he loved her and she knew deep in her heart that he was telling the truth… but then again her first love was true at firsttoo…

“Don’t go… EunAh…” he called and following behind to stop her before it’s too late.

Oh how could I face the faceless days

If I should lose you now…”

###############################################################################

        “Let’s dance Nagisa” KyuJung said all of sudden in the middle of their conversation. She was surprised. “Why so suddenly?” she asked.

Shrugging his shoulders he said; “Just feel like dancing… with you!” he looked at her and deep into her eyes.

She pouted; “But… I… I can’t dance…”

“Why?” the young man asked.

“Because I don’t know how to!” she explained, blushing a little.

KyuJong chuckled, but wrapped his arms about her waist and held her close.

“What are you doing?!” Nagisa protested and flushed even more when he hugged her like that.

“Step on my feet… I’ll help you dance!” he said.

       The girl hesitantly did as he said and put her hands on his shoulders. She was happy but avoided any kind of eye contact.

       When she settled in his arms he smiled. It was good she didn’t know how to dance otherwise he wouldn’t be enjoying this dance like this. They have hugged each other many times before, but this was different. He could feel her heartbeat so close. He looked at her face… her eyes… her cheeks… her lips; it was like they were all calling for him, he ducked his head and kissed the corner of .

Seeing him bending down, she knew what was going to happen but she didn’t do anything to stop it. And when he kissed her she kissed him back.

We’re so close to reaching

That famous happy end

Almost believing

This one’s not pretend

Let’s go on dreaming

Though we know we are

So close… so close, and still… so far”

The song ended and they both pulled back, now realizing what they just did.

 

 

To be continued…