three.

He’s Beautiful

san.

 

this place smells too much like chemicals, say, take me away

________________

 

The room wafted in ugly smells, multiplying as Chanyeol breathed in slightly. He was told Baekhyun would be seeing another patient today, someone not him.

 

Within guessing the client was next door from him since he could hear laughter and a little kid giggling. Chanyeol can remember the pink haired boy's laughter from his memory.

 

"Dammit," Chanyeol scratches his head, deep on the insides, he kind of wants Baekhyun to be with him. Stupid, he knows, but he just really wants the pink boy with a wide smile. 

 

Another laugh makes the cancer patient groan in frustration. He's starting to become impatient, jealous even. 

 

When he hears another fit of giggles he presses the button behind him in defeat. 

"Are you alright, Mr. Park?" Chanyeol motions the nurse to come closer. So she does.

 

"Tell that pink haired boy who thinks he's a comedian to come in here." Before she leaves, she makes sure to raise an eyebrow in curiosity.

 

Soon comes in a small pink haired male with a wide smile grazing his lips.

 

"I heard you wanted me? Am I finally coming to your liking mister Park?" Chanyeol almost smiled.

 

Silence takes over the room before a mumble, quiet and slow, like wind on a sunny day is heard.

"It smells of chemicals in here, mind taking me else where?"

 

There was a park across of the hospital with a swing set and a huge seesaw in the middle of the place. Bright green grass surrounded the attraction as vines slowly started to grow upon it.

 

Clearly been unused for years. Baekhyun did hear that there used to be a Children's Mercy in the very place the Incheon South Korean Hospital is at the moment. 

 

It was sad how the kids hospital closed because not enough money was transferred which sadly lead to some patients not seeing the day of light again.

 

Before the man in the white doctor's jacket could think anymore about young children, a large hand swept him away from the sad thoughts and onto the swing across of the seesaw.

 

"Why do you try to give people, kids, sad and lonely cancer patients false hope? I'd think you would understand the circumstances they are under."

 

"With that thought I feel its rude to try to make them smile, to let them believe in murderous lies that will soon overtake them. It's certainly not fair for the patient, let alone the parents. All of the promises you say will fall short at the end when you're staring at their gravestone."

 

"Do you get even payed m-"

 

"My brother died of stage four Leukemia." 

 

Baekhyun continued, his head down with his fingers fiddling with on another.

"It started in his bone marrow but slowly it spread to his liver. It took years until he past...most of them were awful. He used to smile, not after he got the test result though, he never cracked a smile again."

 

Chanyeol felt bad after hearing what the elder told him. 

 

The wind blew again, wafting the smell of wet grass into four nostrils. 

 

It was a quiet, no one said a word. That is until Baekhyun looked at Chanyeol with a cracked smile to say,

 

"That's why I took this job to make patients smile...I could never make my older brother smile. So i wanted to make people laugh and have hope."

 

 

"Something my brother never had."