009: Little Little

Courting Ms. Bae & Ms. Park
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A month has passed by and the four became even closer (despite Joy and Seulgi's everyday bickering as well as Irene trying to stop Wendy from flirting with every girl she sees). They'd hang around usually inside their office-- Wendy and Seulgi gets nagged at every once in a while whenever Irene or Joy sees them sleeping inside the office or in the library. Yeri and Saeron tags along as well. None of them really gave a damn about it.

 

Today was no different. Wendy decided to drop by again (holding a box of delivered fried chicken and pizza, much to Joy's delight) while waiting for Seulgi who's busy with their dance practices.

 

At this moment, Wendy had her head between her arms on Irene's desk, watching as Irene flipped on her paperwork. Joy left to meet up with another teacher. It's been a while since she came and Irene felt weird seeing Wendy staring at her so quietly-- so unlike her. "Why aren't you home yet, Wan-ah?"

 

The latter yawns in reply, shifting her head to the left to maintain eye contact and frowns. "Are you asking me to leave?"

 

Irene shook her head and giggled. Placing her paper down, she copies Wendy and sits closer to her. "Not really." She mutters and sends a smile towards the sleepy hamster. "But it feels as if your bed is calling you from here."

 

Wendy chuckles sleepily. "I'm fine. Go back to work silly." She raised a hand up and ruffles the officer's hair; earning a whine of protest from the goddess of peace. "You look good today, though."

 

Irene flushed, Wendy finally noticed. Not that the older dressed to impress Wendy (she believes that she changed her outfit for a change-- totally not for her friend). Joy did say her fashion sense so she may or may have not asked Joy for an advice.

 

Retreating back to her previous position, Irene tucks a loose strand of hair behind her ear and turns away (in attempt to hide her glowing cheeks), "T-thank you." Gosh, when will she ever get used to Wendy's random compliments?

 

Wendy lets out another yawn (Irene finds it adorable), "But I think you should go back to wearing pants."

 

Irene frowns. Did Wendy not like her skirt? Was it too much? Was I too obvious? Why? Why did she say that? "Why?"

 

She fidgets slightly on her seat when Wendy straightened up and eyed her exposed legs. "I don't want anyone else looking at those," she points at it as her face showed grimace, "and those boys are drooling over you. I hate that." Smooth Wendy, you're doing great. Wendy silently cheers.

 

Why is Wendy suddenly protective over me? Did something happen? But what is this feeling? Why are you liking it, Bae Joohyun?

 

Irene bites back a smile, shaking her head instead and going back to her work. "Protect me then, Wan-ah." She cheesily suggests.

 

Having no response from the hamster, the purple-maniac sighs. Just then, Wendy takes her hand and plants a subtle kiss on it. "The gods sent me down to protect you, my queen." She flashes a lazy smile towards Irene who remained flustered. "I, your knight in shining armor shall keep you safe from harm."

 

"More like my knight in dusty sweatpants." They both giggled. You're doing great Wen! Again, Wendy gives herself a pat on her back. "But really though, since when did you finally have interest in fashion? Grandma Bae is slowly turning into a human now."

 

Let's say Wendy received a hard slap on her shoulder, hard.

 

Wendy laughs at the pouting officer (who would believe that they became this close in just a few months when they knew each other for years?). The poor student finds herself falling even much more for Irene. Maybe it's the way her eyes twinkle like stars at night whenever she finds something amusing. Maybe it's because of Irene's laugh; gosh, does Irene even know how melodious her laughter is? It's contagious and dangerous, it keeps tugging on Wendy's heartstrings. Irene's whole self is dangerous itself, she's too good to be true.

 

Her plans of having Irene to agree on letting her court her are working; thanks to Yeri though. Irene is actually a softie, a contrast on her usual attitude. She appears to be fierce and stern, but Wendy knew better. Dealing with Irene is like having to babysit a grumpy and needy six-year old or taking care of a pregnant woman-- but Wendy's willing to take care of her all her life if she has to.

 

It was silent for a moment, allowing Wendy to have an inner battle. Maybe it's time? Should I ask her now? With her lips pressed into a thin line, Wendy exhales. Irene wouldn't mind, right?

 

"What's wrong Wannie? Something's troubling you?" Her gentle voice seemed to help Wendy to relax a little. Gathering her confidence, the younger intertwines their hands together and smiles despite the nervousness suddenly filling her. Irene was baffled; sure they hold hands most of the times but it seemed as if Wendy is trying to tell her something. She can't help but anticipate whatever it is the other wants her to decipher.

 

"Joohyun," Tell her! Goddamn it Wen! "I-i.. Y-your hand is so soft."

 

What the was that Son Seungwan?!

 

The older blinks her eyes rapidly. That was it? "What?"

 

 

Wendy wants to slap herself so badly-- she messed up. "Y-your hand. It's soft." She repeats, quite louder this time.

 

Irene kept mum, increasing the restlessness that Wendy is feeling at this moment. Was I that weird? We usually hold hands so that's fine right? But Irene didn't budge and only stared at Wendy. The latter sighs instead, retracting her hand from Joohyun's soft ones.

 

But Wendy felt her tightening her hold and casts a glance towards Irene. "Tell me what's wrong Wan-ah."

 

"Nothing's wrong." Everything feels so right, your hand fits in mine like it's made just for me.

 

Judging by the look on Irene's face, she knows the latter won't let her pass that easily. "I know we've only been hanging around for a few months but I know something's bothering you."

 

Man up kid, just tell her. She hears Amber screaming at the back of her mind. "Actually Joohyun, I want to tell you that I--" Her confession got interrupted when her phone blared loudly against her pocket. She lets out an inaudible cry in frustration but quickly excused herself away from Irene.

 

Closing the door behind her, she hissed through the phone. "What is it, Ms. Kim?"

 

She hears the other girl on the line pouting, whining. "Is that how you'll greet me, Wan-ah? You hurt my feelings."

 

Wendy rolls her eyes. "Whatever it is you want to tell me, say it now or it'll hang up."

 

"Wait." She paused, "My father wants you to come over for dinner to discuss about.. something."

 

If Wendy isn't so busy right now (she's literally doing nothing but she wants to end the call quickly) she'd interrogate the girl about this topic. But she doesn't want Irene to be lonely. Taking a glance at her wristwatch, she cursed silently. "I'm going to be late."

 

"Oh sure, take your time, Wannie." She groaned in reply. She could feel Ms. Kim smirking through the phone and it makes her even more annoyed.

 

"Don't call me that, Ms. Kim."

 

"Aww, what happened to Babe? You know I don't want you to feel awkward around me. Why can't we be like before?"

 

"That's in the past. And it will remain that way." Wendy retorts. "Please stop trying."

 

She snorts unladylike​; an act Wendy hated. "No, Wen. I know you still love me, I know. Stop denying me Wen. I'm back, isn't that what you wanted?"

 

"No!" The hamster clears . "I'm going to be polite this time. Goodbye Ms. Kim." Then she proceeds to hang up.

 

Just then, Irene comes out; her things kept inside her bag. Wendy instantly sends her a smile and pockets her phone as if she didn't talk with the person whom she loathed. She teetered towards Irene and offers her arm. "Let's go?" Irene grins cutely and holds onto Wendy's arm.

 

Making their way to where Joy's supposed to be, students were whispering to each other. Probably making false dating rumors again like they always do. She feels Irene tightening her grip on her arm, making Wendy slightly worried. "You okay?"

 

Irene looks up at her, her big round eyes making Wendy squeal internally at how adorable she actually looked. "Yeah. It's just that-- don't they have anything else to do besides gossiping?"

 

"I guess it can't be helped. I am good-looking after all and you're, well, the student council president."

 

"Oh you're so full of yourself, Ms. Son." Irene playfully rolls her eyes, causing the other to laugh loudly. "Quiet! You're too noisy!"

 

Wendy only replied with her hand ruffling Irene's hair again. It became a habit. It just comes so natural, it just comes automatic.

 

"You're messing up my hair again. I hate you."

 

"Sorry darling, you're just too cute." Wendy lands a peck at the crown of her head-- thanks to the insoles in her sneakers for making her slightly taller-- surprising Irene in the process.

 

"Yah! Why'd you do that?" She jolted backwards, detaching herself from Wendy. The other frowned for a split second.

 

Looking at Irene innocently, "Did what?"

 

Her heart is beating erratically against her ribcage that it actually hurts. What's wrong with you? Irene screams at her heart. She walks pass Wendy. "Hey! Wait Irene!"

 

Wendy throws an arm around Irene and grinned childishly. "You can't leave me behind, gorgeous. You don't have a ride."

 

"Pft." Irene ignores her.

 

"You're lucky I get to give you free rides everyday Hyun. You're a special customer."

 

"Not everyone wants to ride with you Seungwan."

 

"You sure about that?" She places her index finger and thumb on her chin, as if she was pondering about something. "Unless if they want to ride me instead." She winks at Irene who shuddered in disgust.

 

"Ugh, ert. Why am I friends with a ert?"

 

Irene just lets Wendy be. She spots Joy across the hall being in the same state as her. With Seulgi following beside her like a puppy following her owner wherever she goes. She could tell that Seulgi had been teasing her non-stop because Joy's face told her so. And Joy's holding another red rose like the usual. Seulgi should've just gotten her chicken and she'll easily win Joy's heart.

 

Joy spotted her too and immediately ran towards them. "Unnies! Thank god!" Her eyes are pleading to get Seulgi away from her.

 

"Oi! Seungwan!"

 

In another's point of view, it seems as if they're having a reunion in the airport after the other​ couple came from another country. The other couple welcoming them and tackling them on the ground. Or more like Seulgi tackling Seungwan.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter