Chapter 5

Kyungsoo vs the Homosapiens Agenda

 

I dreaded going to school the next day. I’d have to see Chanyeol in class because he sat right in front of me so I’d have to see him every time I looked up. I took as much time as possible getting ready for school and then I waited until the very last second before the bell rang to go to class. Jongin was sleeping like usual and Chanyeol was talking to a few guys from the football team. As soon as I sat down, I could tell he was about to call my name, but thankful the teacher walked in and told him to turn around before Chanyeol could actually initiate any conversation.

 

Thankfully none of the teachers made us do any peer sharing like they usually did and decided to instead lecture the whole time. As soon as the bell rang I picked up my lunch box and was ready to head to the cafeteria when I realized that all of my friends were also Chanyeol’s friends and I did not want to have to sit with him, giving him a chance to probably further insult me.

 

Instead of turning left toward the cafeteria like most of my classmates, I turned right toward the auditorium. I knew where Mr.Lee hid the key and decided that eating alone in the auditorium was a million times better than sitting with someone I thought was my best friend that would probably ridicule me. As expected all the lights were off and there was no one inside the auditorium.

 

With nothing to do and no one to talk to, I took out my phone as a distraction from the fact that I had essentially lost my best friend of more than ten years. I shook away all the bad thoughts coming to my head and instead focused on the screen of my phone. I was surprised by a notification telling me I had a new email. The email that only one person knew. I excitedly opened my phone to the email that had been sent to me this morning.

 

From:[email protected]

To: [email protected]

Date: September 10, 2018 at 7:17

Subject: Re:Don’t be sorry

 

Oh god you don’t know how glad that makes me. I know it might seem weird since all we are are anonymous email penpals but you mean so much to me and I honestly don’t know what I’d do if I did anything to make you uncomfortable. I wouldn’t know what to do if I wasn’t able to turn to you, to talk to. Also I’m glad you had the courage to come out, that’s amazing and sure you found out the first person is a but now you also know the second person cares and loves you a lot. I wish I was as brave as you, maybe one day.

 

P.S. This is the second time I’ve woken up early enough to send you an email in the morning, well I guess you gotta make sacrifices for those you care about

 

-Michael


 

I let out a big sigh falling to the floor, kicking my legs around in joy and happiness. One second I felt like the whole world was against me remembering the fact that I had lost my best friend. Then the next second I couldn’t stop smiling at the fact that I had someone like Michael in my life. Why did being a teenager have to be so confusing? Why did everything seem so complicated?

 

“I knew I’d find you here. I told the others you were talking to Mr.Lee about the musical so that they wouldn’t ask questions.” I got up and squinted through the dark to see who was talking. “You’re such a weirdo why were you eating alone in the dark.” The lights were switched on and after a few seconds of blinking my eyes adjusted to show Jongdae.

 

“I was just scared I’d get caught,” I whispered out.

 

“Oh stop being paranoid we aren’t going to get caught. Anyway, I decided to come look for you because if I was with Chanyeol any longer I might’ve punched him. had the audacity to act like nothing happened.” Jongdae said, standing as if he was a boxer, punching the air. He looked ridiculous and I couldn’t help but giggle.

 

“You’ve never fought anyone ever, as if you could fight Chanyeol, he’s like a foot taller than you and on the football team so he actually works out.”

 

“Hey!” he yelled in protest, “I for sure can beat him up.”

 

“Sure you can Jongdae,” I said while patting him on his shoulder.

 

The bell was about to ring so we shut off the lights and waited outside the door for Mr.Lee. After a few minutes I saw Baekhyun approaching us, “Hey Kyungsoo what did you have to talk to Mr.Lee about?”

 

I panicked not knowing how to respond. “He was talking to him about his solo,” Jongdae fortunately answered for me. Baekhyun looked at us unconvinced, thankfully I was saved by Mr.Lee telling us all to change into our dancing clothes and shoes. I suddenly remembered today was Thursday meaning Jongin was coming in to help us with choreography. I always dreaded and got super excited on Tuesdays and Thursdays. On one hand I am a horrible dancer with two left feet, but on the other hand Jongin is an amazing teacher and makes everything fun. I’m not the best with controlling my body and have always hated physical activities but I knew I had to practice to look good the day of the show, I couldn’t drag everyone down just because I was too scared to try. And no matter how much I look like a flopping fish out of water Jongin always says good job and gives me an encouraging smile.

 

Today was no different, I had a few difficulties but with Jongin and Baekhyun’s help I was able to get the moves a little quicker than usual. After rehearsal I changed back into my uniform and waited outside the Auditorium for Jongdae to come out, since I would no longer be walking with Chanyeol after school he offered to start giving me a ride home instead. While I was waiting for Jongdae to finish talking to Mr.Lee I took my phone and earphones out to listen to some music. While scrolling through my songs for something to listen to I heard someone clear their throat. When I looked up I saw Chanyeol, automatically making me freeze. I don’t know why but I couldn’t move or speak at all.

 

“I didn’t see you at lunch,” Chanyeol laughed awkwardly.

 

“Of course you didn’t,” I mumbled out. “.”

 

“Look Kyungsoo let me explain,”

 

“Explain what? That you think I’m disgusting, that you don’t agree with who I am, that loving who I love makes me wrong?” I asked, my tone slowly getting louder and more aggressive.

 

“Wait, Kyungsoo, calm down. Just listen.”

 

“No you listen, I thought we were best friends. Together forever, no judgement, and all that . But I was wrong. So please do me a favor and just never talk to me again,” as soon as I finished talking Jongdae walked out of the auditorium. I grabbed his hand and started walking toward the parking lot.

 

As soon as we got in his car he started asking question after question, “What was that about? I swear, do I actually have to beat up Chanyeol? Because I will.”

 

“Don’t worry about it, I don’t wanna think about it anymore. I don’t need him, plus who does when they have an amazing cousin like you.” I said pushing him playfully. Who needed s likes Chanyeol when I could always focus on the positive people in my life like Jongdae and Michael.