Chapter 2

Kyungsoo vs the Homosapiens Agenda

 

 

From: [email protected]

To: [email protected]

Date: September 8, 2018 at 5:58

Subject:Re:Ugh Family

 

Yea, I’m usually awake really early in the morning doing hw. I know it’s a bad habit, but I never did say I was the best student. I mean ever since I was little I always preferred recess than class time. Like schools fun, I get to hang out with my friends. But having to sit through an hour long lecture on how if you multiply the base of a triangle by the acceleration of earth’s rotation you get the area under the curve or something like that, makes me feel like I’m literally gonna die of boredom.

 

-Oh Soo

 

I ran into class hoping I wasn’t late. Thankfully I made it to class a few seconds before the bell went off. I sat in my seat breathing heavily from all the running I was doing so early in the morning, and this was why I was apart of theatre and not the football team like my best friend. Chanyeol, said best friend, turned around because of my loud breathing and laughed at me, “This is why I told you you should come with me on my runs sometimes, I bet you only ran for a few seconds and you’re already out of breathe.”

 

“Oh shut up, why would I run with you when I can stay in the nice, air conditioned auditorium.” I said, taking out my water bottle and taking a few sips. “Anyway I’m doing some exercise technically, we’re doing a musical this year so we have to dance. It’s actually really tiring, right Jongin?” I called out to the kid sitting next to me, head resting on the desk, eyes closed. He let out a hum in confirmation.

 

“See. Jongin’s helping with choreography for the musical,” I explained to Chanyeol who nodded his head in understanding.

 

“No wonder he’s so tired, he’s also the head of the dance team and in the football team. Plus he’s also super smart. I wonder how he does it,” Chanyeol said in amazement, as I nodded along in agreement. The teacher walked in making Chanyeol turn around to face the front, and Jongin to raise his head, letting out a yawn and facing the teacher.

 

Class was uneventful as usual. Chanyeol, Jongin and I walked to our table where the rest of our friends were already sitting. Sehun and Baekhyun were in a different class while my cousin Jongdae was in the grade above us. We were all second years while Jongdae was a third year, he said he hangs out with us so he can steal my mom’s food from my lunch, but I think it’s because most of his friends graduated last year and left him behind. As soon as we were all seated Chanyeol, Baekhyun, Sehun and Jongdae started talking animatedly while Jongin went straight to sleep, how he slept through all the noise the other four made, I’ll never know. As I looked at all my friends sitting with me at the table I thought of Michael, was he with us in the cafeteria. Or did he eat in a classroom like some students, or maybe he liked to eat outside, where it was more quiet. I let out a sigh as my eyes scanned the cafeteria. Literally anyone could be here could be Michael and I’d never know it.

 

The bell rang signaling the end of lunch, thankfully classes were pretty much over for the day. After lunch all we had left were our extra curriculars. Jongdae, Baekhyun and I walked to theatre while the rest of our friends headed to the football field. Both Jongdae and Baekhyun used to be apart of the football team but since we had decided to do a musical this year they happily joined me in theatre. We all had pretty big roles, I mean at least we had names instead of bystander #4. Both Baek and Dae are amazing singers and them joining theatre made the class so much more fun.  

 

It was still early on in the year and we weren’t doing much, all choreography was done on Tuesdays and Thursdays when Jongin was available, and our teacher wanted to focus on the ensemble rather than the main cast at the moment. So Baek, Dae and I usually just hung out in the makeup room doing nothing. I checked my phone to see no new messages from Michael, I wasn’t that surprised considering the fact that he usually only messaged after school. But I was still a little disappointed. After a few minutes of just goofing around, Mr.Lee, our theatre teacher, called Baekhyun out in order to help ensemble out with vocals.

 

“So, why so down little cuz?” Jongdae asked, draping his arm over my shoulder.

 

“First off, you’re only older than me by like a few months. Secondly don’t ever say the word cuz again please, for your sake and mine. And what do you mean down? I’m not down at all.” I said in probably the most unconvincing tone ever, how am I an actor, I really at lying.

 

Jongdae stared at me with a knowing look, “Come on, what is it? Girl troubles, awww is my little cuz growing up.” He started to ruffle my hair, babbling about how his little cousin was all grown up and thinking about girls.

 

I pushed him off with an annoyed huff, “What did I literally just say, and no it’s not girl troubles. I’m just, annoyed that Baek’s not here so my only company right now is you.”

 

“Wow, that hurt little cuz,” before he could grab me again, I got up from my seat, walking out of the makeup room.

 

“Come on the bell rang, I have to go meet up with Chanyeol,” I said already leaving my cousin behind, Baek joining us on the way to the locker room. Chanyeol and I usually walk home together since we live next door to each other. That’s why we’re such close friends. We’ve been hanging out since we were little. Then came along Baekhyun, and along the way Sehun and Jongin slowly came along too. And now I had Michael too. I was so lucky to have such amazing people in my life. They all really cared for me, and I honestly wouldn’t trade it for anything in the world.