chapter 5 : apples for lunch?

apple stall // nct’s winwin

Winwin's POV

 

This was it. I was standing in front of Jina's house at 8 in the morning.  I promised Jina to help her with the baking.

 

I just hope I don't burn her house down with my tragic hands..... Taking one deep breath, I rang her door. After a few seconds, I heard shuffling and the door was opened.

 

"Hey Winnie! Come in." Jina gestured me to enter her house. I nodded as I took my shoes off and entered.

 

"Your house looks really comfy, Jina." I complimented as I looked around. It was really simple and had a nice clean look to it.

 

"Thank you! I decorated it all by myself." She said with a bright smile. I think I might have gone blind..

 

"Is anyone else here?" I asked.

 

"I live alone. My family actually stays in Busan with my younger brother.  I moved here because of college." She said as she gave me another bright smile. 

 

"Ah, I I see." I stuttered. 

 

"So, I have a few problems." She said as we walked towards the dry side of the kitchen.

 

"I don't know what to name the stall, I'm not sure what to sell and how much and the price and oh my god, this is so confusing." 

 

"Hey, don't worry, we can discuss about this. All we need is a paper and a pen." I reassured her but to be frank, I was panicking in the inside.

 

"I'll get some papers and pens then. Oh, you can sit there." She pointed to the table in the kitchen. I nodded and walked towards the table.

 

"I'm back." Jina said as places a few A4 papers and various coloured pens on the table.

 

"Do you want something to drink?" 

 

"Do you have hot chocolate? If you don't, tea is fine." I replied back.

 

"One hot chocolate coming up!" With that she disappeared from my sight. I decided to not waste time and start writing down on the papers. 

 

I wrote the problems we currently have on one paper, 1) name of stall, 2) what to sell, 3) price of good, 4) how much to make for each good. As I was writing down, I could smell the cocoa aroma coming from the other side of the kitchen. 

 

"This reminds me of Yuta and his hot chocolate stall." I muttered with a chuckle. As I was busy thinking of solutions, my thoughts were interrupted-

"Here's your hot chocolate! I hope you'll like it." Jina said with a smile. I almost had a heart attack. I gently picked the mug from the table and took a small sip. This was much better than Yuta's hot chocolate, but I can't tell him that. It would ruin his non existent man pride. 

 

 

"It's really good, thank y you, Ji Jina." I stuttered for the millionth time. I seriously have to get rid of stuttering when I'm shy or nervous. 

 

"Alrighty then, let's start with the discussion." She said with a small clap. I nodded and showed her the paper I wrote earlier. 

 

"So the first question is the name of the stall, it takes time to think of a good one and right now I can't think of one, so we can skip it for now." I said.

 

"You're right, we shall skip this then. I can't think of one right now too." 

 

"Next is what to sell. Do you have any type of food you want to sell specifically?" 

 

"Well it has to be apples in all of them, I was thinking of apple muffins, apple pie, apple turnovers and maybe the cinnamon rolls?" 

 

"That should be great, stick to a few first, once we know what the customers prefer we can change it from there."

 

"The price of good will be based on the price of the ingredients + cooking gas + electricity and effort made to produce the good."

 

"Could you give an example?" Jina asked.

 

"Let's say, with the ingredients you bought, it cost 60 dollars and you made 30 apple muffins out of them. Thus, one muffin would cost 2 dollars. Gas and electricity combined to make the muffins could be 1 dollar per batch. And the effort made was another dollar. So it would cost 4 dollars per muffin."

 

"I see, you're really good at this business thingy." 

 

"Uncle did taught me the basics, I guess." I said with a nervous laugh. I was surprised I didn't stutter the whole time while explaining. 

 

"Last problem is how much, Well I think 15 per good is a good start, we can increase as we know the consumers better."  Jina nodded at my explanation with a thumbs up. 

 

"Okay, since that's all settled, let's buy the ingredients for the baked goods!" Jina chanted as she stood up from the chair with a bright smile plastered on her face. I just nodded as I continued to sip on my hot chocolate. 

 

 

~~~~🍏~~~~

 

 

"I need 4 packets of all purpose flour, it's right up there." Jina pointed to the shelf infront of us. I nodded my head as I grabbed the bags of flour with ease.

 

"It's so much easier to shop with you here, I sometimes have to tip toe to reach things." 

 

"I can help you with the groceries from now on, if y you l li like." I said to her, blushing furiously like a tomato.

 

"Re really? Uhm, that would be lovely." 

 

 

 

~~~~🍏~~~~

 

"Okay, are you ready to make the apple strudel muffins? They are the easiest to make, so let's go with that." Jina said as she placed bowls and other kitchen tools on the table. I nodded my head as I wash my hands and pat them dry with a kitchen towel.

 

"So what's the first step?" I asked her. 

 

"Pour the whole bag of flour into that bowl over there." She said as handed me a bag of flour. I cut the bag opened and started pouring the flour into the bowl. However, some of it splattered on my face due to the inertia. I think some of it when into my eyes. I immediately winced my eyes in pain. 

 

"Be careful! Here,I'll clean your face." Before I could answer, Jina already started wiping my face with a kitchen towel. I could feel my cheeks heating up due to the sudden contact. I had my eyes closed still, not wanting to hurt my eyes further and because I can't believe she's that close to me right now. Don't panic, Winwin, stay cool.....

 

"There you go." I slowly opened my eyes and was greeted by a concern looking Jina. 

 

"You okay?" She continued. I nodded my head repeatedly and avoided her eye contact. 

 

"Alrighty then, next we add cinnamon powder, brown sugar, salt, and baking powder. I wrote the recipe on a paper, just refer to it. I'll be cutting the apples."  She said as she start chopping some Fuji apples on the cutting board. 

 

After placing the muffin tray into the hot oven, we continued making the apple turnovers, apple pie and cinnamon rolls.

                                 ~~~~🍏~~~~

 

After 3 hours in the kitchen, we were finally done with making all the baked goods.I glanced at the watch that was on my wrist. It was 12 in the afternoon. Should I ask Jina if she wants to eat lunch with me?