chapter 2 : some granny smiths too.

apple stall // nct’s winwin

Winwin's POV

"Winwin, why do you look so nice today?" Uncle said as he placed the baskets of apples in the car. 

"We don't leave for the market in like an hour." I looked at my outfit, it wasn't anything special, just a white sweater, some denim jeans, a red scarf and a long black coat. 

 

"Uncle, I wear this all the time?" I said confused. He just pointed at my head. Ah, that's why. Instead of my usual messy hair, it was waxed to the back of my head. I unconsciously touched it, was it ugly?

 

"If you think it's ugly, no it isn't. You look okay." Uncle never gives me compliments because he thinks he's the handsome one between us. I'm sure he knows that I know he thinks I'm handsome. But, oh well.

 

"Thanks uncle." 

 

"You're so whipped, aren't you?" I smacked uncle's shoulders, he isn't going to let me live. Gosh. I mean I want to look presentable for our customers and okay maybe Jina. 

 

 ~~~~🍏🍏🍏~~~~

 

" You never told me you had such a handsome nephew!" A middle aged woman gushed as she pinched my cheeks. Okay, I look too presentable now.

 

"He's always busy with college." Uncle replied. I could  tell he was jealous I was getting compliments. I giggled silently. 

 

"I have to tell all my friends about him! They would die to have such a handsome son!" 

 

"So, you wouldn't die for a handsome son?" I asked. She laughed at my remark. Was it funny?

 

"My son is pretty handsome, I'll bring him one day. People say he looks like an anime character brought to life!" I can't tell if she was being serious or not. I just nodded my head.

 

"As long as they buy my apples." Uncle just replied immediately. Yeap, totally jealous. 

 

"Of course, bring him here often and your sales would go up instantly!" Am I going to be exploited now? This is not my intentions at all.

 

I just smiled at her as she left with a few granny smiths in her basket.

 

"Can't believe, she thinks you're more handsome than me. I mean look at me?" Uncle whined as soon as she left.

 

"Uncle, don't worry, this is for the greater good, more people, more apples sold and more money, no?" I said. Uncle agreed and nodded his head, "You're right, I guess I got to thank my sister for giving birth to you."  I smiled, thinking about my mother, I'm glad she gave birth to me as well, or I wouldn't have met Jina. Thinking about her, when is she coming?

 

"I bet you're thinking when is Jina coming right?" I blushed as uncle spoke those words. I nervously nodded and placed my hand on my chest. My heart was beating so fast, I thought it was going to pop out. 

 

Before I could speak, a ringtone broke out. It was uncle's phone ringing. He answered it. His face turned from normal to somewhat shocked. What happened? He ended the call after biding goodbye.

 

"What's wrong uncle? You found out your crush was married ?" I laughed thinking about that old memory. Uncle liked one of the customers who comes here all the time but was heartbroken when he found out she was married.

 

" No, MY CRUSH ASKED ME ON A DATE!" Wait, what?

 

"Crush? I thought she was married?" 

 

"Winwin, that was a year ago, I like someone else now." I tried to absorb all this new information.

 

"YOU DIDNT TELL ME?!" I shouted and hit uncle. How dare he? I thought I was his friend, well I'm pretty sure I was his only friend.

 

"I didn't want to until I was sure she was available."

 

"Oh, I see it's okay. Well congrats, Mr. Dong." I said while shaking his hand. However, he didn't look so keen.

 

"What's wrong?" 

 

"The thing is, she asked me if I was free right now. I said no. But I feel like this is my only chance." Oh, wow uncle is clearly the one whipped here. Do I let him leave or torture him and ask him to stay. Decisions, decisions.

 

"It's okay uncle, you can go. Besides, I can't handle seeing you stay single this whole time. You need some love other than me of course." I joked.

 

"Winwin, I love you. Okay that sounds weird but yeah, just close the stall when its 5 alright? I'll leave the van here."

 

"Wait, how are you going to go to your crush?" I asked.

 

"She's at the park nearby. Don't worry." 

 

"Alright, have fun, tell me the details aight?"

 

"Yeah sure, kiddo! Have fun with Jina!" Uncle said before running away and disappearing into the crowd. Wow, did I just saw uncle run? Wow, he ran as if he's life depended on it. Well, props to him, he's out there going on a date and I'm all alone. I mean, what if Jina doesn't show up? I pouted my lips thinking about the worst possible scenario.

 

Well my job now is to take care of the stall. I decided to do some old fashion shameless promoting. 

 

"GET YOUR APPLES HERE! FRESHLY PICKED! GET YOUR APPLES HERE!" I shouted loudly while waving my hands up in the air. Some people looked at me and just walked away. Wow, okay, I'm hurt. I decided to try again.

 

A group of middle aged women approached the stall.

 

"Are you Mr. Dong's nephew?" One of them asked.

"Yes?" They must have heard from the lady previously. Oh well, news travel fast.

 

"Mrs. Lee was right. He's so handsome!" One said.

 

"Hello, my name is Winwin." I smiled nicely at them. They better buy some apples or this is some free exploitation.

 

"Winwin? That's a cute name. Anyways, since you're so handsome, we'll buy your apples." Well that worked out well.

 

  ~~~~🍏🍏🍏~~~~

 

I sighed heavily. Since that commotion, many people started to come and buy more apples and of course, stare at my face way too long. I didn't mind but the whole point was to see Jina today. 

Is she not going to come? It's almost 5 and it's getting dark. I sat on my wooden stool and looked around. Everyone was starting to close their stalls and pack away. Maybe I should too. 

 

I guess, that's it for today. I stood up and started packing. I took all the empty baskets that was once filled with apples and place them in the van. One by one, the stall was cleared out. I left the remaining apples on the table incase some people would stop by. 

 

I sat back on my wooden stool and laid my head on the table. I was getting tired and the cold air wasn't helping me stay awake. Without realising, I slowly shut my eyes. 

 

However, I was not completely unconscious as a knock on the table immediately woke me up. The sudden movement made me fall too. Great. 

 

"I'm sorry! I didn't mean to wake you up like that." A female voice spoke up. I froze on the ground. Oh no, it was Jina. Why did she have to come here when I look like a total mess. My waxed hair must have been ruined by now.

 

"It's o..o..okay." I replied back. I stood up and brushed the dirt on my pants. The sky was getting darker but I could still see Jina's bright smile. Gosh, she looks like an angel. 

 

"Are you hurt? I'm really sorry." She continued with worry spread on her face. I shook my head, I'm fine. Even if you step on me, I'll feel better than ever.

 

"It's fine, Jina." I smiled at her. 

 

"If you say so then, anyways, I was busy baking that I forgot to come here." She said while scratching her head. 

 

"As soon as I finished, I came here as soon as possible. I thought the stall was closed but you were there sleeping. Hmmm, where's uncle Dong?" She continued. Ah, uncle, I wonder what he's doing right now with his date.

 

"He's on a date right now."

 

"Oh, I see. He left you here alone?" 

 

"Yeah, but I said it was fine. He needs some fun anyways." 

 

"Well, I made an apple pie and I usually give  him a slice to try." Jina said while showing me her wooden basket that was filled with a whole apple pie. Wow, it looks really good. 

 

"Oh, I can bring it back for him." I said. Jina was so kind, offering uncle food. I may have fell harder for the girl.

 

"May..may..maybe...yo..you'll like to try...try some?" Was she stuttering? Is she nervous? Nah, can't be, must have been the cold air.

 

"Are you cold? Please come inside the stall, its warmer here." I said worriedly. 

 

"Huh? No, I'm... no..not...co..cold." 

 

"Then why are you stuttering your words? Come inside." I said while opening the stall's side entrance. I took the wooden stool from the van and place it near the table. 

 

"Have a seat." 

 

"Th..tha...thank yo..you." Was she still cold? My instinct naturally took my red scarf and wrapped it around her neck. My hand had contact with her face. The sudden contact made me blush and I felt my cheeks heating up.

 

"I'm...so..sorry, I didn't mean to touch your face." 

 

"It's..o..okay." She said. She took out the apple pie out from the basket. She cut a slice and place it on a paper plate she brought. 

 

"It looks really good." I complimented. How can someone make something so beautiful? I can't even cook ramen without burning it. I took a bite and was delighted.

 

"Is it good?"

 

"Jina, this is so good! You used the jonathan and jonagolds you bought yesterday right?" I said while enjoying the pie. 

 

"Yes, and some granny smiths too." She smiled happily.