Nighttime Conversation

Everyone Has a Story

Note: Jeongyeon-11, Nayeon-12, Jihyo-9

 

 

 

Nayeon chuckled softly at the two girls as Jihyo busied their newest family member with her stories and chatter. 

"..and then Nayeon-unnie and I ran away with the bread that we stol-er-found!" Jeongyeon laughed.

They were on their way to Nayeon and Jihyo's "house". It was really just a corner of an alley that they cut off from the rest of the city with a bunch of pieces of sheet metal that they found. It wasn't much but it was home to the two girls and that was all that mattered. 

 

As they approached their house, Jeongyeon gasped.

"Wow, is that really your house?" She asked in bewilderment. Nayeon blushed.

"Yeah, I mean it isn't much but it's really all we've got-"

"It's amazing! Better than I ever had anyway." Jeongyeon said. The eldest girl smiled.

"Well I guess you're gonna be staying with us so I'm glad you like it!" She said happily.

"Thanks again for saving us earlier." She said shyly. Jeongyeon hit her shoulder making her flinch a little bit.

"Really, it's fine. Especially since I get to live with you two. You really are the nicest people I've met in a while. Especially you, you little cutie." She smiled as she ruffled little Jihyo's hair.

 

Jihyo looked up at her with the biggest grin possible and eyes that sparkled like the stars.

"Wow! I can't believe Nayeon-unnie let you live with us. She never lets me do what I want!" She said as she stuck her tongue out at Nayeon. She scoffed.

"Jeez kid, I'm only trying to keep you alive! Imagine what would've happend if I let you eat that maggot infested piece of cake you found on the street one time!" Jihyo rolled her eyes and playfully blew a raspberry. Jeongyeon laughed. 'I could get used to this.' She thought with a grin.

 

---------------------------------------------

 

Nayeon was tucking Jihyo into her little sleeping bag that someone gave to them out of pity when Jeongyeon cleared . Nayeon looked at her.

"Something wrong?" "No. It's just... Where do you sleep?" She asked as she peered around the small shack curiously. Nayeon shrugged as she glanced over at her sleeping sister with a longing smile.

"I just sleep wherever I guess. Besides, she needs a blanket more than I do." Jeongyeon nodded in understanding. She wanted to know more about these girls. Why did they take her in so easily? Why are they both alone on the streets like she is? How are they surviving out here? All these questions were running in her head as she stared at the two girls that took her in. Nayeon tilted her head.

 

"Are you alright?" She asked. Jeongyeon shook herself and nodded. She cleared again as she glanced at the sleeping child in front of them on the ground.

"Can we talk over there so she doesn't wake up?" Nayeon raised a brow but nodded slowly.

"What's up?" Jeongyeon hesitated a little bit.

"How did you guys end up on the streets like me? Like, why aren't you safe and cozy in a house with a family? Or how come you guys have a whole years worth of stuff in this tiny shack? How long have you been out here?" She panted out. Nayeon stared blankly, unable to comprehend so many questions at one time. Jeongyeon sighed.

"Sorry I'm just really curious. Can I ask how you guys ended up out here?" Nayeon looked down.

"Well I mean we lived in a house before. But after our parents divorced, we had to stay with mom and dad moved to America. And then like 2 years ago mom had a heart attack and died. Jihyo was a little younger so I'm sure she was a bit more scared than I was." She said as she looked at her sister again.

 

"We ended up being foster children and some random family from Japan adopted us for awhile. They eventually just dumped us out the on the street cause they got tired of not understanding what we were saying." She said as she looked at the ground with a frown.

"We've been out here living in this corner for about a year now. I try to provide as much as I can for her but I don't always get enough. It breaks my heart when I see her cry. She's so bright and smiley that I can't even handle her frown..." she trailed off. Jeongyeon watched as she turned to face her.

 

"So what about you, huh? What are you doing out here?" Jeongyeon blushed.

"I...ran away. I guess I couldn't handle the pressure that my parents put on me anymore. They always compared me to my successful sister and I could never live up to their expectations." She looked up.

"I never got good marks in school, They always hated how tomboyish I was, and they always said I had a bratty attitude so I don't think they missed me when I left." 

 

Nayeon looked at the poor girl with a frown. She seemed to be holding back her tears as she stared at the ground. Nayeon smiled in sympathy and put a hand on Jeong's shoulder.

"Hey, It's alright now, you're with us now right? You don't have to feel that was anymore, we'll always support you in whatever you do-unless you're doing something stupid. Please don't do something stupid." She joked. Jeongyeon sniffed and smiled at Nayeon. She suddenly lunged at the girl and hugged her to show her gratitude.

"Thank you so much..." She mumbled against the crook of Nayeon's shoulder. Nayeon just smiled as she rubbed the girl's back. 

"No problem Jeongyeon. Tell me when you start feeling like that again, okay? I don't ever want you to run away from us because we pressured you into anything, alright?" She rambled as Jeong let go and giggled.

"Yeah, yeah. Let's not get too mushy. I literally just met you guys." 

 

They acted as if they didn't see it as a big deal but in reality, this moment changed their lives for the better. They could both see it and they appreciated each other greatly.

They-

 

*Thud*

 

They turned to see that jihyo had fallen onto the ground from her little cot and could see that she was truly in deep sleep as she snored and snuggled into her sleeping bag some more. They chuckled.

Life is about to get way better with this new family.