Accepting reality

Paradise...only with you here

 

“Chorong-ah, I need to go out for a minute.”

“Okay, you can go back home if you want. I’ll take care of her. You need rest, Naeun.”

“Ani, I’m just getting some fresh air. I’ll come back in a minute.”

 

She grabbed her bag and walked out from the room. She slumped herself down on the chair not far away from Jara’s room. She sighed and covered her face with both hands.

“She will be safe if I didn’t leave her alone.” Naeun breathed. She wiped her tears because she didn’t want to look weak. She was startled when a cup of hot drink appeared in front of her. Naeun looked up and her gaze softened.

“Dr. Kim~” she gasped. She abruptly stood up and bowed.

“Here.” Dr. Kim handed her the coffee. She took it and thanked him. He asked her to sit down so she sit, with the doctor beside him. She let out a sigh and sipped her drink.

“Don’t blame yourself.” Dr. Kim stated. Naeun froze; she pulled the coffee off from and blinked at the doctor.

“It’s not you fault, Jara-ssi is in there. So stop blaming yourself.”

“I can’t. If I didn’t go to work maybe..she wouldn’t get into the car accident.”

“But, she is safe right? She’s still alive thanks to the driver who brought her here.”

“Yeah, I owned him. Are you sure she’s fine? She hadn’t waked up yet. It’s been two days.”

“She will” Dr. Kim stated.

“She have to…” he continued but he make sure Naeun won’t hear him. As a doctor he wanted his patient to be safe but for this patient he really wanted her to survive because she’s not alone. She had to take care of another person, inside her. He peeked at Naeun and fiddled whether he should tell her or not about the news.

“Thanks for your encouragement Dr. Kim.” She smiled sweetly at him. He froze. It’s his first time seeing her genuine smile so he felt….fluttered.

“Welcome and by the way, can you stop calling me Dr. Kim? I feel…old.” He awkwardly rubbed the back of his neck. Laughing awkwardly too during the process. Naeun giggled and tilted her head.

“So…what shall I call you?” She asked.

“Myungsoo…it’ll be better if you call me by my real name.” He gave her one of his killer smile and held his hand out. Naeun shook his hand in return.

“Okay Myungsoo-ssi. Nice to know you. Thanks for making me feel better.” She exclaimed. Myungsoo nodded.

“There’s something you should know…” He started after fighting with himself whether to tell Neun the truth. He was interrupted by a loud noise.

“Doctor Kim! Naeun! Jara had wake up!” Chorong yelled from the room and motioned them to come fast. Naeun and Myungsoo automatically forgot about their chat and rushed towards the room, half walking, half running.

 

-----

 

Jara slowly opened her eyes and blinked. The first thing that she saw is Chorong, with her eyes wide and her jaws dropped open. It was not clear but she noticed some tears falling from her friend’s eyes.

“Jara~ A-are you okay? God! You woke up! W-wait..I-I’ll get the doctor.” Jara nodded her head weakly and Chorong went away in a blink of an eye. Jara tried her best to push herself up and leaned on the bed. She suddenly remembered about her dream and frantically ran her fingers on her neck. Her shoulders deflated when she discovered that nothing was there. The necklace…it’s not there. She was on the urge in crying again but Hoya’s words keep ringing in her head. Live for me. Be happy for me.

“I can do this. I can live for Hoya oppa.” She mumbled softly.

“Jara!” Naeun popped out of nowhere and hugged her. A tear escaped from her eyes.

“I’m sorry. Forgive me. I’ll not leave you again. I-I will stop working if I have to. Jara~ I’m really-” Naeun stopped talking when Jara’s finger shush . She blinked at the smiling lady.

“No~ I’m the one who are sorry. Ya! Son Naeun! Stop crying like a baby. You don’t look pretty~” Jara giggled and wiped her tears off.

Naeun blinked and looked at Jara with bewildered eyes. She shot Chorong a look but she can’t seem to explain either. Lastly, she looked up to Myungsoo and mouthed him, “ Is there something wrong with her?”

Myungsoo quickly checked his patient. He shrugged and looked at them.

“She’s fine. Maybe she regained herself back. You girls should be happy.”

“Jara~ are you really…back?”

“Of course! Babo~ I won’t die so easily.” Jara replied with a ‘duh’ tone. Naeun and Chorong squealed and gave her a tight hug.

“You’re back! You’re back! Omeonim, abeonim, Soojung and Sunggyu will be happy if they knew about this!”

“Whoa~ slow down. Get off me! I’m still a patient okay.” Jara wriggled herself off from her friends. Myungsoo eyed them and once again, he fiddled whether to tell her the news. His nurse nudged him and mouthed him to tell the truth. Myungsoo sighed but he nodded. It’s his job to tell the patient true condition. Right?

 

“Lee Jara-ssi.” He softly called her. Jara looked at him.

“Yes, Dr. Kim.” She replied.

“There’s something I must tell you.” he took a deep breath before continuing.

“…You’re pregnant.” There, he finally told her. The truth.

Naeun and Chorong eyes popped out. They stole a glance at Jara and saw her blank face.

This is my last present for you, Jara. She recalled his words. She shifted her gaze from the doctor to her belly. She gently touched her belly and it affectionately. This time she could not held her tears from falling. Tears of joy.

“His last present. I’m going to take good care of this baby and also Soojung. You girls, can help me right?” she looked up to her two friends.

“Of course we will. I’m glad you’re back and I’m gladder you have the spirit to live again.” Chorong hugged her.

 “I’ll call Hoya’s parents and Sunggyu to tell them about this news.” Naeun bitterly smile. She couldn’t bear to think about her friend taking care of the baby alone by herself without a husband.

“Okay~ told Omeonim to bring Soojung along too~!” Jara exclaimed. Naeun nodded and went out. Myungsoo caught her up and turned her to face him.

“Hey, are you alright?” he asked, concerned.

“Yeah. I’m fine.” She wiped her tears off. Myungsoo gaze softened and let go of her shoulders.

“ Be happy about it. At least she didn’t scream out of rage when she knew.” Myungsoo tried to calm her down.

“She kept her feelings…I know she’s somehow sad. She loves him so much.” Naeun mumbled.

“There must be a reason behind this. Maybe he met her in her sleep and told her about it already.” Myungsoo shrugged, telling her something that out of this world. His plan worked when he heard her giggles.

“Yeah, right!” she rolled her eyes and smiled at him.

“That’s better! You look better when you smile you know.” Myungsoo stared at her and it made her blush.

“Err…going to make some calls. See you later Doctor.” She walked away before the doctor saw her red cheeks.

 

----

 

Jara and Chorong were left alone in the room. Chorong fixed her blanket and asked her to sleep. She was about to close her eyes when someone knocked on the door.

“Chorong-ssi. Did she wa-” the mysterious man froze on the door when he saw Jara. jara blinked for a few times. She swore she had seen this guy somewhere. She studied his features. Fair skin with red hair. Who could it be? She was busy thinking and at last something struck her mind. Supermarket. Car crash. She shot her head up and pointed at him.

“You!” she gasped.

“You recognize him? He’s the one who accidentally bumped you with his car and brought you here. Do you remember?” Chorong asked, glancing at the man.

“Y-yes I think so.” She nodded and stared at him. The man bit his lips and awkwardly rubbed the back of his neck.

“Hello, there. I’m glad you’re awake. I brought some food.” He blurted out and handed out the plastic bag that was full with food. Jara raised her eyebrow and looked at Chorong, demanding a further explanation. Chorong motioned the man to put the food on the table before she answered Jara’s question.

“He came here everyday to check your condition.. Sunggyu was mad when he knew he hit you but grew fond of him because he saves you and always came to the hospital to check on you.”

“Aah~” Jara nodded her head and smiled at the man.

“Thanks for saving me…err, what’s your name?” she asked. The man smiled and happily introduced himself.

“You’re welcome, miss. My name? Woohyun. Nam Woohyun.”