Nine

Eternal Love

 

Ra Eun wakes up. The light from the window makes her squint her eyes. She looks at Won Sik who is asleep again, but one thing catches her eyes. He is crying. She stands up and leans toward him. Ra Eun wipes his tear away with her hand, but he cries some more. She continues to wipe his tears away when he suddenly opens his eyes.

His vision is blurry, but he knows that it's Ra Eun.

She straightens herself up.

“Are you okay,” she asks.

He is breathing heavily from the shock of the dream. Won Sik wipes his eyes.

“It's just a dream,” she says.

Ra Eun places her hand on top of his.

“Thank you for coming back,” she says smiling at him.

He's looking directly at her.

 

The time is two in the afternoon. Ra Eun and Won Sik are still the only two at the hospital.

“Do you know what the guys are doing now,” Won Sik asks Ra Eun.

He is lying in bed looking at her who just came back from filling her water bottle. She’s walking over to the table to set her bottle on the table.

“They’re probably working,” Ra Eun replies. “They’ve been busy working. I believe they’re in the middle of finishing up a new project.”

Won Sik knows exactly what project she’s talking about.

“They’re going to come by later,” Ra Eun says. “They always do after work.”

“It’s going to be so late.”

“They’ve been closing the shop early to come. They’re usually here by five.”

“Did they text you back?”

“Yes!” She sits on the chair next to his bed. “They’re all so glad you’re awake!”

“Why are you here?”

“I told you.”

“I mean don’t you have work?”

“I do, but I took off.”

“Is that okay?”

“It’s fine. You don’t have to worry about me.”

“Who’s worried about you,” he asks. He turns his head towards the window.

She smiles.

“How are you feeling,” she asks.

“The same,” he replies bluntly.

“That’s fine,” she replies. “Are you hungry? I’ll ask the cooks to bring you food.”

“No. I’m still full from breakfast.”

“You barely had anything. All you had was a fried egg and some chicken soup.”

He doesn't reply.

“How about we just eat something little,” she asks. “Do you like toast and butter?”

She walks to the phone and dials the cooks number before putting the phone to her ears.

“I prefer jelly,” he replies.

“Okay,” she smiles.

Ra Eun puts in the order. She walks over to the table and picks up her phone to text everyone.

“Will you guys pick up some food for Won Sik,” she texts. “Preferably foods that he likes.”

Soon, the toast arrives.

The cook sets a mini table in front of Won Sik for him to eat.

“Thank you,” Ra Eun says.

The cook walks out, and the doctor comes in.

“Eating,” the doctor asks.

“Yes,” Won Sik replies. “Even though I don't want to,” he tells himself the last part.

“It's great that you're eating again. I can tell that you're appearance is getting better by the day.”

“But my mind doesn't feel better,” Won Sik replies.

“How about this. After you eat, go out for some fresh air. Walk around a little. Maybe you'll feel better.”

“That's a great idea,” Ra Eun says smiling. “I'll make sure to take him after he is done.”

The doctor smiles and nods his head before he walks out.

Won Sik forces himself to eat the toast.

“Does it taste good,” she asks.

“I've had better,” he replies bluntly.

“Should we order something else? What do you want to eat?”

“I don't want to eat.” He takes a bite out of the toast. “I'm only eating because you might cry again.”

She looks at him with loving eyes.

“You look so ugly when you cry,” he comments. Won Sik takes another bite of the toast.

She grimaces. “If you weren't a patient, I would hit you.”

“Why would you hit me?”

“Because you made fun of me,” she defends.

“It's the truth.”

“Just finish your toast.” She crosses her arms.

He eats all of the toast and jelly and drinks from her water bottle again.

“Should we go now,” she asks.

“Go where,” he asks.

“Walking. Didn't you hear the doctor?”

“I don't want to.”

“Come on. You can't stay in here all day. What happened to the Won Sik who exercised every morning?”

“He went south for the winter.”

“Does that mean he'll come back in the summer?”

He looks at her with disbelief.

“Let's go,” she smiles.

Ra Eun grabs his hand and pulls him out of bed and to the coat rack.

“It's cold,” she says grabbing his coat from the coat rack.

“We’re going outside,” he asks.

“Yes. We need fresh air.” Ra Eun extends her hand to him.

“Why don’t we just stay inside?”

“Because we need fresh air. We won’t get fresh air by staying in the hospital.”

He grimaces, but takes the jacket from her. Won Sik wears his jacket while she grabs hers.

They walk side by side around the hospital campus. Snow is on the ground. The sky is blue and clear. The leafless branches on the trees are slowly dancing along with the slight wind. Everyone there is wearing thick jackets with hats, mittens, and scarves.

Everything around them is quiet until Won Sik speaks. “This is nice. It feels like I haven’t been out here for a very long time.”

“I’m glad you agreed to come,” Ra Eun says smiling.

Silence eats them again.

“Do you want to sit or should we keep walking,” Ra Eun asks.

Won Sik sees a bench up ahead of them, so he walks straight to it and sits down. Ra Eun follows him and sits two feet away from him.

Won Sik sighs in his head. He closes his eyes and listens to nature. He can hear the wind, he can hear the birds, and he can hear people talking. It’s so peaceful to him. “I wish everything is like this forever,” he says in his head.

“You like nature a lot don’t you.” Ra Eun says.

Won Sik opens his eyes and comes back to reality.

“I can tell just by the look on your face,” Ra Eun continues. “You look very calm. I wish you’d always be like this.”

He doesn’t reply.

“Do you remember when you cried in front of me for the first time,” she asks.

They’re both looking forward. He has a straight face on while she is smiling.

“Was that because of your mom,” she asks as her smile fades away. “You don’t have to answer that. That was very personal. I’m sorry.”

He slightly turns his head towards her and looks at her from the corner of his eyes. Won Sik looks forward again.

“You’re right,” he says. “I cried that day because of my mom.”

“Is that the one of the reasons that lead you to be like this?”

Silence eats them.

“Yes,” he replies.

“What kind of fight do you have?” She realizes her question. “Don’t answer that. It’s personal.”

And he doesn’t.

“By the way,” he starts. “Does my mom know that I’m in the hospital?”

“Not that I know of. I haven’t called her, I don’t even have her number, and I don’t think the guys have called your mother. If they did they didn’t tell me.”

“It’s best if you don’t call her.”

“Why is that?”

“It’ll just be bothersome for her.”

“Why? She’s your mother. Isn’t she supposed to be bothered that you’re in the hospital?”

“Mom isn’t like that. I’m just another course she needs to get over. Please don’t tell her.”

“I won’t. I promise.” Ra Eun is smiling at Won Sik.

He can feel her looking at him, so he turns his head to her. He stares at her smiling face. It’s like time has stopped. He’s back in his calm state just like when he is when he’s listening to nature.

“Should we go back inside,” she asks.

“Are you cold,” he asks coming back to reality.

“Just a little.”

“Sure.”

He stands up, and so does she. They head back to the room, and when they get there, Ra Eun takes Won Sik’s jacket and hangs it while he goes back to the bed. She goes sit next to him after she hangs the jackets.

“Are you tired,” she asks him.

“I’m fine,” he replies.

He is looking at her this time.

“Ra Eun,” he starts.

“Yes,” she asks.

“Do you still like me?”

“Why are you asking me,” she blushes.

“You should get rid of those feelings. I'll just be a burden to you.”

“You will never be a burden. Even if I'm not the one you love, whoever does love you will not find you a burden ever because love conquers everything. Since I'm the one who has feelings for you, you will never be a burden to me.”

He looks at her like she's a new person. He feels himself getting soft, but he tells him that he needs to be strong. He can't give in.

The door opens and the guys come flooding in.

“Won Sik,” they cry.

“You’re finally awake,” Jin Young says. He walks over to Won Sik and hugs him. “I was so worried!”

Won Sik hugs him back. “I’m sorry,” Won Sik says. “I didn’t mean to make you worry.”

Jin Young starts crying again.

“Are you crying,” Won Sik asks.

Jin Young breaks the hug. “I’m sorry,” Jin Young says wiping his tear away. “I promised I wouldn’t cry anymore.”

Won Sik looks at the other guys who are standing at the foot of the bed. He climbs out of the bed and bows down to everyone making them shock.

“I’m sorry,” he says. “I made everyone worried.”

Sung Yeol walks over to Won Sik and makes him stand properly.

“You shouldn’t be apologizing,” Sung Yeol says. “You have nothing to be sorry about. “We’re just glad you’re awake.”

“Ra Eun has told us what the doctor said already,” Dae Hyun says. “What are you planning to do now?”

“I don’t know. I don’t know if I should go into therapy or not,” Won Sik says.

“First, let’s sit,” Sung Yeol says.

Won Sik sits on the bed and everyone else sits on the chairs and couch in the room.

“I’m scared,” Won Sik says. “What if therapy makes me worse. I’m already scared that I’m going to do something stupid. I already did something stupid which is why I’m here.”

“Therapy is supposed to make you feel better,” Sung Yeol assures him.

“But not all patients feel better after therapy.”

“But most patients are cured after therapy. The statistics also show that there is a higher possibility of you getting cured than there is you don't get cured,” Dong Jun says.

“What if I fall into the tier that don't get cured,” Won Sik asks.

“You have to be positive,” Dae Hyun says. “You will get cured. We will be here with you.”

“Dae Hyun’s right,” Ra Eun says. “We will be here for you.”

Won Sik stares at all his friends. They are all giving him hope which is making him emotional. He takes a deep breath and hangs his head down. Won Sik nods his head.

“Good job,” Ra Eun says. “You made the right choice.” She places her hand on top of his.

He turns his head over to her and sees her smiling at him.

“You’ll be better,” Ra Eun assures him. “I know you will.”

Sung Yeol goes tell the doctor about Won Sik’s decision, and he comes in with the survey. Won Sik takes it and gives the survey back to the doctor.

“I’ll be back after I take a look at the survey,” the doctor says.

“Thank you,” everyone says.

“How is work,” Won Sik asks.

“It’s fine,” Sung Yeol replies. “We’re still working on the project. It’s been slower, so the date has been pushed back quite a bit.”

“That’s fine. It’s my fault that everything is slow.”

“I want you to take a rest. After you’ve recovered, you can come back to work.”

Won Sik opens his mouth to speak, but Sung Yeol cuts him off.

“You don’t have to worry about anything. We can all step in and look after one another,” Sung Yeol assures Won Sik.

“Keep me updated,” Won Sik says.

“Of course.”

Won Sik lies down in bed, and Dong Jun walks over to him.

“We bought food,” he says showing Won Sik the white bags in his hand. “They’re all your favorites: turkey sandwich, pork belly, pork cutlet, grapes, juice.”

“Fried chicken,” Won Sik asks.

“Fried chicken too,” Dong Jun replies. “Hungry?”

“No, but if I don’t eat, someone in particular is going to cry, so I’ll eat.”

“Who,” Dong Jun asks. He walks over to Won Sik and sets the bags down on the counter.

Ra Eun stands up from the chair beside Won Sik’s bed and grabs her water bottle, so she can go refill it.

“The person who just walked out,” Won Sik replies.

“Ra Eun,” Dae Hyun asks.

Won Sik nods his head.

They scoot their chairs closer to the bed and makes a circle around the bed.

“What happened last night,” Jin Young asks Won Sik. “Did you two hit it off?”

“No,” Won Sik replies. “She’s just,” he pauses. “She cried a lot when I said I didn’t want to eat.”

“She did,” Dong Jun asks.

“That’s a first. A girl has never cried because of you,” Dae Hyun says.

“What did you do then,” Dong Jun asks.

“I ate of course, so she’d stop crying,” Won Sik replies.

The guys try to hide their smile.

“What,” Won Sik asks.

“Nothing,” they said in unison.

Won Sik looks at them in suspicion, but he lets the conversation go. “Hurry and feed me. She’s going to start crying if you don’t.”

Since Jin Young is closest to the bags, he stands up and starts unbagging the food. Sung Yeol pulls the table in front of Won Sik.

“What do you want first,” Jin Young asks.

“I don’t care. Just give me something,” Won Sik replies.

Jin Young places the sandwich in front of Won Sik.

“Thanks,” Won Sik says. He grabs the sandwich and takes a bite. He chews, and the others watch him. Won Sik swallows and takes another bite. “Can I have some pork belly,” Won Sik asks.

Jin Young jumps out of his chair and serves Won Sik the pork belly.

“Thanks,” Won Sik says.

“You’re welcome,” Jin Young replies.

He sits down again, and Won Sik eats the pork belly.

Won Sik hums and takes another bite out of the pork belly.

“We haven’t seen you eat like this in such a long time,” Dae Hyun says. “It’s great to see you eating again.”

Won Sik stuffs his face with the sandwich.

“So,” Sung Yeol starts. “Tell us about what happened the other day. We heard from Ra Eun that you left to see your mother. What happened at your mother’s place that made you lock yourself in?”

Won Sik tells them what happened. “I just feel so useless, and I’ve been having a voice in my head. He keeps telling me to die. He keeps telling me that I’m useless, and I started to think that I was useless, so I locked myself in.”

“You’re not useless,” Dong Jun says. “You’ve made a name for yourself. You’re the most respected man I ever saw.”

“Yeah. If it wasn’t for you, we would’ve never opened our own business,” Jin Young says.

“We wish you the best always,” Sung Yeol says. “I know we’re not as important to you as your mom is, but we’re always willing to be by your side. We’re always there for you, so next time you have a hardship, come to us. We’ll think of a way to help you.”

“Thanks, guys,” Won Sik says. “You’re the truest friends I could ever ask for.”

They smile at Won Sik, and Won Sik coughs.

“Water,” Won Sik says in between his coughs.

“Shoot,” Dae Hyun says. “We didn’t buy water.”

“It’s okay,” Ra Eun says as she walks in. “I have water right here. She hands Won Sik her water bottle, and he takes it.

“Is that yours,” Dong Jun asks.

“Yes,” Ra Eun replies. “We’ve been drinking water from that since we forget to ask for water from the cooks.”

Soon, Won Sik has almost finished everything from the bag.