Eleven

Eternal Love

 

After Ra Eun is done taking pictures at Classy Clicks, they head out.

Ra Eun takes them onto a hiking trail that many tourists come to visit, but there are not much people today.

“How long will this take,” Won Sik asks.

“A few hours. Do you want to go home now,” Ra Eun asks.

“No. I was just curious.”

Ra Eun grabs her camera and off they go. They slowly walk, so Ra Eun can take pictures. Her camera goes off once, twice, three times.

Won Sik, on the other hand, is looking around. The snow makes everything look very pure and pretty. Everything is so calm that Won Sik feels calm. The only sound they can hear is the crunch the snow is making when they step on it.

Ra Eun continues to take pictures.

“When did you start being a photographer,” Won Sik asks.

“Two years after college,” she replies.

“Did you have internships after college?”

“Yes. So much, but it paid off at the end. How about you? When did you start your own business?”

“After internship. My boss was considerate enough to help me branch off.”

Ra Eun nods her head and starts to take pictures again.

“Do you like being the boss to your own business,” Ra Eun asks.

“Of course. If I didn’t, I wouldn’t have branched off,” Won Sik says.

“Of course. How silly of me to ask.” She puts her camera down. “Everything is so pretty.”

“Yes.”

They continue to walk slowly on the trail.

“I think I made the right decision bringing you here,” Ra Eun says.

“What do you mean,” he asks.

“I know that you like being outdoors, so I brought you here hoping that you’ll feel at peace.”

He doesn’t answer.

She’s walking in front of him, and he’s slowly following her. She turns around and starts walking backwards.

“I have a question for you,” she says.

“Go ahead,” he replies.

“When did you start to like the outdoor?”

He pauses and thinks. “I guess,” he pauses. “When I was a little boy.”

“I see.” Ra Eun smiles. “That’s nice.”

“Not really.”

“Why is that?” Her smiles fades.

“I started going outside when my mom started to hit me. I wanted to avoid her. That’s when I realized that the outdoor is very calming.”

Ra Eun smiles.

“But that didn’t really help either,” he continues.

“Why?” Her smile fades again.

“She’d hit me for always being outside.”

Ra Eun stops in her tracks, and so does he. She is frowning at him.

“What’s wrong,” he asks.

“May I hug you?”

“Huh?”

She slowly makes her way over to him and wraps her arms around his middle. She rests her head on his chest.

He stands there not knowing what to do. Should he hug her back? Should he push her away?

She breaks the hug in a few seconds and takes a couple steps back.

“Hugging someone gives them comfort,” Ra Eun says. “It seems like you needed the comfort.”

They stand there in awkward silence.

“Let’s go,” she says. “I need more pictures.” Ra Eun turns around and starts to walk again.

Won Sik slowly follows her.

“A hug gives comfort,” Won Sik asks himself. He listens to himself if he was comforted from Ra Eun’s hug. He did feel warm, but he’s not sure if it was comfort.

After a few hours, they’ve hiked up a bit, and now they’re heading back down. This time. Won Sik is walking in front of Ra Eun.

“Did you take enough pictures,” Won Sik asks.

“I’ve taken more than enough, but I’ll probably take more if something catches my eyes,” she replies.

Ra Eun lifts her camera up and points it at Won Sik.

“Won Sik,” she calls. “Turn around.”

He stops and turns around.

She takes a picture of him.

“Great,” she says with a smile.

“Delete it,” he says.

“Why? I like it. Want to see it?” She walks over to him and shows him the picture. “See. It looks great.”

“No it doesn’t.”

“Yes it does.”

She lifts her head to look at him and notices that his ears are red. “Are you cold,” she asks him.

“A little,” he says.

That’s when she notices that he doesn’t have a hat, gloves, and scarf on.

“Is a jacket all you own,” she asks him.

“Yes.”

She frowns and walks in front of him. When she sees a souvenir shop in front of them, she enters the place, and Won Sik follows.

“Welcome,” the man greets.

“Hello,” Ra Eun greets back. “Do you have any winter accessories?”

“Over there,” the man guides her.

“Thank you.”

She walks over to the table and picks out a white hat, white scarf, black gloves, and a black earmuff. Ra Eun walks back to the man and pays for them.

“Do you have anything warm to drink,” she asks him.

“We have hot chocolate,” the man replies.

“Perfect. I’ll buy two cups.”

“Coming right up.”

The man walks to the back of the store.

Won Sik is looking at postcards and some souvenirs that he didn’t even realize what Ra Eun is doing.

Ra Eun walks over to him and gets on her tippy toes. She tries to put the hat on him with difficulty.

He feels her touching his head, so he turns around. “What are you doing,” he asks.

“Why are you so tall?” She gives him the hat. “Put it on.”

He accepts the hat and puts it on.

She tip toes again and puts the earmuffs on him.

“Here’s some gloves,” she tells him.

He accepts it and puts them on.

She reaches for his neck and wraps the scarf around for him.

“There,” she says. “Feel warmer?”

He pulls the scarf away from his lips.

“I’m grateful,” he replies.

“You should be. Now you have a hat, gloves, scarf, and earmuffs. You don’t have to freeze outside anymore.”

“Thank you.”

“Ma’am,” the man calls. “Your hot chocolates are ready.”

Ra Eun walks back to the man and pays for the cups. “Thank you,” she says accepting the cups.

“Thank you,” the man says.

Ra Eun walks back to Won Sik and hands him a cup. “Here. It’ll warm you up.”

“Thank you.”

They take a drink. Ra Eun hums.

“Let’s go,” she says.

The start walking down the trail again.

 

Ra Eun takes Won Sik home. The door is opened. Won Sik is standing inside the house while Ra Eun is standing outside.

“Will you be okay alone,” she asks him.

“I’ll be fine,” he assures her. “Do you want to come in?”

“No. I need to go back and edit the photos.”

“Okay. Drive safely.”

“Thank you.” She smiles and waves.

Won Sik waves to her, and she leaves. He closes the door and walks into his room. Won Sik takes off his gloves, earmuffs, hat, scarf, and finally his jacket. He hangs his jacket in the closet and puts everything else on the shelf on top of the closet. Won Sik walks back to the living room and heads to the kitchen. He opens the refrigerator door and takes out a water bottle before he takes a sip. Won Sik puts the bottle back and looks in the fridge. There’s nothing to eat.

Won Sik walks over to his bedroom and picks up his phone. He dials Sung Yeol’s number.

“What.” Sung Yeol asks. “We’ll close the shop soon and be there.”

“That’s not it,” Won Sik says. “Buy some food on your way here.”

“Alright.”

Won Sik hangs up and walks back to the living room. He sits on the couch and puts his phone on the coffee table in front of the couch. Won Sik lies down on the couch and stares at his ceiling.

“You had a fun time with Ra Eun didn’t you,” the voice in his voice says. “That was all a lie. She’ll dump you the moment you develop feelings for her. The guys don’t like you either. You’re just slowing them down. Do everyone a favor and just leave.”

Won Sik sits up and and closes his eyes. His head is hung low.

“You’re useless,” the voice continues. “A mistake.”

Won Sik opens his eyes and grabs his phone. He calls Dr. Gyu. He picks up after two rings.

“Dr. Gyu, how may I help you,” he asks.

“Dr. Gyu, this is Won Sik,” Won Sik says.

“Oh. Won Sik. How may I help you?”

“I can’t seem to be alone. The voice in my head is dominating my thoughts right now.”

“First, I need you to calm down. Take deep breaths.”

Won Sik does so.

“Now, close your eyes.”

Won Sik does so.

“Think of a place. A place that makes you happy.”

Won Sik immediately thinks about the outdoors.

“Place yourself there.”

Won Sik places himself in the forest. The grass is green, the trees are tall, the branches are covered in green leaves, and the leaves are dancing along with the cool breeze.

“Now imagine a person who means the world to you.”

Won Sik tries to imagine that person, but he’s having difficulty.

“I can’t,” Won Sik says.

“Okay. That’s fine,” Dr. Gyu says. “Open your eyes.”

Won Sik does so.

“Do you feel better?”

“A little,” Won Sik replies.

“Anytime you feel like the voice is dominating you or you just want to zone out, think of that happy place.”

“I’ll make sure to do that. Thank you Dr. Gyu.”

“You’re welcome.”

Won Sik hangs up.

A few hours later, the guys come in with bags in their hands.

“How did it go,” Dae Hyun asks. “With Ra Eun?”

Dong Jun, who took all the bags is going to the kitchen while everyone else goes sit on the couch and floor.

“It was fine,” Won Sik replies. He’s sitting on the couch with Jin Young and Dae Hyun.

“What’d you do,” Dae Hyun asks.

“She was taking pictures, and I was following her,” Won Sik replies.

“That’s it,” Jin Young asks.

“We didn’t do much. She bought me hot chocolate and a hat and a scarf and a glove and an earmuff.”

“She did,” Sung Yeol asks. “How thoughtful.”

“She also hugged me. We somehow got into the topic of mom, and she gave me a hug. She said that giving a hug to someone comforts them,” Won Sik continues.

“That’s true,” Jin Young says. “My older sister has a boyfriend, and whenever they get into a fight, they always end up hugging each other to make up.”

“What do you want to eat,” Dong Jun yells from the kitchen.

They stand up and walk to the kitchen.

“What did you guys buy,” Won Sik asks.

“The usual,” Dong Jun replies.

“Just bring everything,” Sung Yeol says.

“I need help carrying them,” Dong Jun says.

Sung Yeol stays behind to help Dong Jun while the others go back to the living room.

After they eat and talk, the time is about nine. The guys leave, and Won Sik is alone again. He cleans up the living room and heads to bed.

The next day, Won Sik busies himself with house work. It's been awhile since he's clean the house. Won Sik has clothes running in the washer. He's sweeping the floor now and plans to mop next.

Won Sik is wearing black sweatpants and a white t shirt. He left his hair the way it was when he woke up. Won Sik is also wearing a black apron.

As he is sweeping, someone knocks on the door. He goes answer it.

“Hello,” she greets with a smile. “What are you doing?”

“Cleaning,” he responds.

“May I come in?”

He steps aside, so she can walk in. Won Sik closes the door and walks over to her.

“You did a great job,” she compliments.

“Thank you.”

“Have you ate?”

“Breakfast.”

“What did you eat for breakfast?”

“The guys bought me dinner last night, and I had some leftovers, so I ate that.”

“Can I make you lunch?”

“Sure.”

Ra Eun looks around. “Where’s the kitchen?”

He points to his right.

“Thank you.”

She walks over to the kitchen, and he starts sweeping again. After that, he mops the floor. Won Sik starts in the living room and slowly makes his way to the kitchen.

Ra Eun has her back against him. She’s standing in front of the sink rinsing something.

“Where’s your cutting board,” she asks him.

“In the drawer next to the fridge,” he answers.

“Okay. Thank you.”

He walks over to the drawer and takes out the cutting board before he places the board on the counter beside Ra Eun.

“Thank you,” she says.

Won Sik finishes mopping. Then, he goes dry the clothes and heads to the kitchen.

“Do you need help,” he asks.

She is now cutting some carrots, and she had already cut some broccoli and onion.

“I’m fine,” she replies. “Are you done cleaning?”

“Yeah. I’m just waiting for the clothes to dry,” he replies.

“In that case, you can help me season the meat. It’s right there,” she says pointing to the bag next to her.

Won Sik grabs the bag and takes the meat out. He walks to the sink and puts the raw meat in there. Then, he goes to the cupboard and takes out a bowl.

“Will you get me one,” she asks. “A few actually.”

He takes out some bowls and gives some to Ra Eun while he takes one. After rinsing the meat, he puts the meat into the bowl.

“Do you want me to cut it,” he asks.

“Please,” she says. “Thinly.”

Won Sik takes out another cutting board and starts to cut the meat thinly like Ra Eun requested.

“What are you making,” he asks her.

“Stir fry,” she answers. “Is that okay?”

“That’s fine.”

Silence.

“Won Sik,” she starts. “What’s your most favorite food?”

Silence.

“Pork belly,” he replies.

“When you fry it or boil it,” she asks.

“Fry.”

She nods her head in response.

“I’ll make that for you another day,” she says.

“You’re coming here to cook again,” he asks.

“Should I not?” She turns to look at him.

“I didn’t say that. I was just wondering.”

“So I can come back?” She smiles.

He nods his head.

Ra Eun goes back to cut her vegetables with the smiles till on her face.

After she is done cutting, she sets up a frying pan.

Won Sik, on the other hand, is salting the meat.

“Is there anything else you want on the meat,” he asks.

“Do you have any soy sauce or any kind of sauce,” she asks.

Won Sik walks to the fridge and takes out all the sauce that he has. From his knowledge, he pours the sauce on the meat and starts to mix. After he is done, he washes his hands, and then gives her the meat.

“Smells great,” she compliments.

He puts the sauces back.

“Is there anything else you need help with,” he asks.

“No. I’m just cooking everything now,” she replies. She pours the meat into the hot oil and starts cooking. “You can go rest. I’ll call you if I need you.”

“Okay.”

He walks to his room and grabs his phone. As he is waiting, he hears the drier stop, so he goes take his clothes out. Won Sik brings the clothes back to his room and hangs them.

“Do you think she’s really cooking you lunch because she likes you,” the voice in his head says. “You’re so stupid. You even invited her back.”

Won Sik closes his eyes and sighs. He hurriedly finishes hanging his clothes before he sits on his bed. Won Sik closes his eyes and imagines his happy place. He’s back in the forest. The wind is blowing. Everything is green. Suddenly he feels someone’s presence with him. The figure is standing next to him, but he can’t make out who that person is. He tries to look at the face, but he can’t seem to see the face. His first guess is his mom. The figure is his mom.

“Won Sik,” he hears Ra Eun call.

Won Sik opens his eyes and comes back to reality.

“Come here,” she yells.

He stands up and goes to the kitchen.

“Where are we eating,” she asks.

“The living room. I don’t have anywhere else to eat.”

“Do you have rice?”

“No. I don’t have a rice cooker.”

“We can just eat this plain. It’s almost done. Will you take the plates out?”

He does so, and when she is done, she pours half onto a plate and half onto another plate. They go eat in the living room.

Won Sik is sitting on the right side of the couch while Ra Eun is sitting on the left. She is poking at her food because she is waiting for Won Sik to take the first bite.

“Do you like it,” she asks him after he takes the first bite.

“It’s good,” he replies.

She smiles. “I’m glad.” Ra Eun takes a bite herself. “You did a really nice job at seasoning the meat. It tastes really good.”

“I did?”

She nods her head.

“I’m glad,” he says.

Won Sik takes another bite.

“Why,” she asks. “You don’t cook?”

“I do, but I’m afraid that some people may not like how I season the food.”

“Why is that? I think you did a really good job.”

“My mom told me that I shouldn’t cook since I don’t know how to season.”

Ra Eun frowns, but she wipes that away and smiles. “You’re great,” she says gently nudging him on the arm.

He turns his head to her and sees her smiling widely at him. Won Sik doesn’t say anything and continues to eat.

She retreats to her spot and continues to eat while smiling widely.

“Don’t you have work,” he asks her.

“I do.”

“Then why are you here?”

“To make lunch.”

“You should be at work.”

“It’s fine. It’s work from home.”

They eat in silence.

“You look nice,” Ra Eun compliments Won Sik. “I’ve never seen you in sweatpants and a simple t-shirt before. I’ve always seen you in your suit. It’s nice to see you in comfortable clothings.”

He doesn’t say anything.

“And yesterday when you were wearing that turtleneck and jeans, you looked very nice too,” she says. “You look stunning in your suit, but you look better wearing regular clothes.”

He still doesn’t reply, so they continue to eat in silence.

“Do you have a boyfriend,” he asks her.

“What,” she asks surprised. “No. Why do you ask?”

“I was just wondering.”

“How about you? Have you dated anyone else besides Youn Mi?”

“No,” he says after a pause. “I focused on school after our breakup. Then, I focused on work.”

“Ahh. I see. So are you still focusing on work instead?”

“I want to bring the guys up even higher. I want to give them a much better place to work. I also want to hire people to help them work.”

“You have a lot of goals, and I respect you for that. I’m so glad you decided to go to therapy.”

“If you’re trying to make my heart sway, stop,” he says after a pause.

“No. I’m just telling you how I feel. I understand that you don’t like me, and I’m fine with that.”

Won Sik stands up and walks to the kitchen. He places his plate on the counter and leans on the counter. Won Sik closes his eyes and takes deep breaths. His heart is beating to rapidly, and he doesn’t want her to know about it.