Thirteen

Eternal Love

 

Spring is here.

Won Sik’s health is getting better, and work is also going by smoothly. From time to time, the voice in his head would speak to him, but he’s learned to cooperate with it. Sometimes, the voice takes a toll on him, but he’s fine. The voice also introduced a friend to Won Sik. That voice sounds exactly like the first voice, but this new voice speaks positively to Won Sik.

Ra Eun and Won Sik have also gotten even closer, but Won Sik still have not confessed to Ra Eun yet, but he knows for sure that he’s in love with her. He’s just afraid that her feelings faded already.

Today, there is no work for Won Sik and Ra Eun, so they make plans to meet each other at Won Sik’s apartment.

Won Sik is wearing blue skinny jeans and a buttoned up shirt. The shirt is tucked into the jeans. His hair is down since he didn’t even touch it since he woke up.

As he is waiting for Ra Eun, his phone rings.

“Hello,” he asks into the phone.

“It’s me Dr. Gyu.”

“Yes.”

“I called to ask you some questions.”

“Yes. Go ahead.”

“You’ve stopped coming to my sessions for almost a week now. How do you feel?”

“I feel fine. It’s thanks to you that I’m all better.”

“That’s great! I’m glad everything is going well. However, I do have to warn you about something.”

“What is it?”

“You may think you’re better, but anything can trigger you to go back to the way your were before. The only way you can overcome that again is to fight. You’re going to have to stay positive and fight through the negativity.”

“I understand, Dr. Gyu. Thank you for the heads up.”

“You’re welcome. Have a nice day.”

“You too.”

Won Sik hangs up and leaves his phone on the coffee table. He continues to wait for Ra Eun. When she comes over, Won Sik goes open the door.

Ra Eun is standing in front of him with some bags in her hands. She doesn’t even have to ask anymore. He just steps to the side and lets her in.

“I have some pork belly with me,” Ra Eun says. “I told you I’d make you some, so I’m here today to make it for you.”

He closes the door and walks over to her to take the bags.

“Thank you,” she says.

He walks to the kitchen and sets the bags down on the counter while she goes grab the cutting board, knife, and bowls.

“Thank you,” he said. “I’m looking forward to eating them.”

“You’re welcome,” she replies.

She scoots everything to the side and grabs the bags. Ra Eun sets them in front of her.

Won Sik is watching her, and he just can't help but adore her. She’s so tiny and cute. He wants to put her into his pocket, and then keep her forever. Won Sik walks over to her and wraps his arms around her waist giving her a back hug.

Ra Eun gasps and freezes when Won Sik does that, but she slowly warms up to him.

“Ra Eun,” he says softly.

“Yes,” she asks.

“Do you still like me?”

“Of course, I do. If I didn’t, would I be here with you?”

“I,”

“I know. You’ve told me countless times that I shouldn’t like you, but what am I supposed to do? I really like you. I’m sure I’m in love with you, and I can’t help but fall in love with you even deeper. I know I’m torturing myself by doing this, but it’s fine. You don’t have to like me back. As long as you know I like you, and you let me keep liking you, I’m fine, so don’t try to stop me. I’m going to keep liking you.”

He smiles.

Won Sik turns her around and cups her cheeks before he dips his head down and presses his lips on her.

Her eyes widen in shock. Then she blanks rapidly bringing her back to reality. He’s kissing her. The man she loves is kissing her right now. She closes her eyes and lets him continue.

He breaks the kiss and opens his eyes.

She opens her eyes too and stares into his eyes.

“I’m in love with you,” he says. “I’ve fallen deeply in love with you. I don’t know when it started, but I can tell you that I,”

Ra Eun wraps her arms around his neck and pulls in down to kiss him.

This time, he is the one in shock, but that shock immediately subsides. He wraps his arms around her middle and pulls her closer. Won Sik kisses her deeply and passionately. He moves his left hand to her nape and deepens the kiss. Won Sik moves his lips on hers and presses his body on hers. Then, he breaks the kiss. The both of them are breathing heavily. Won Sik puts his arms on her waist and hoist her up onto the counter before he starts kissing her again.

That evening, they had to put a halt to lunch.

 

May 12. That’s the official date when they started to date. Every year when that date comes, they’ll celebrate together and be a happy couple.

 

One day, when Ra Eun is over at Won Sik’s apartment, so they can go out, Ra Eun starts the conversation.

“I have something I want to tell you,” she says.

“Go ahead,” Won Sik says.

He’s putting on his sweater.

“Actually, I’ve been keeping this a secret, and I can’t keep having this secret to myself,” Ra Eun says.

“What is it?”

“My parents,” she starts. “They’re putting me into an arranged marriage.”

“What?”

“I know this is going to hurt you because it’s hurting me, but I needed to tell you.”

“Haven’t you told your parents about us?”

“I have, but they don’t like you.”

“Why? Is it because I haven’t met them?”

“It’s because you and I are not in the same social group.”

“What do you mean?”

“I’m not trying to label you and I, but I’m from high class, and you’re from middle class.”

“Why does that matter?”

“My parents don’t understand.”

“Let’s go meet them. Set up a date with them, and we’ll meet them together. We’ll fix this together.”

She nods her head, but she is frowning.

“Smile,” he tells her.

Ra Eun keeps frowning.

Won Sik lifts her head up and shows her his smile. Ra Eun smiles widely.

“I finally get to see that rare smile,” she says. “You should smile more,” she says poking his side. “You look very handsome when you smile.” She continues to poke him.

“Stop,” he says moving away from her. “It tickles.”

“That’s why I’m poking you, I know you’re ticklish.” She walks after him, but he keeps walking away from her. “Come on.”

“Stop.”

Ra Eun catches up to him and starts to tickle him. He laughs, and she laughs.

“Stop,” he says catching her arms. He hugs her. “If you don’t stop, we won’t be going out.”

“Fine,” she says.

He takes her out and even sends her home.

 

“My parents said we can go meet them tomorrow,” Ra Eun says.

“Great. We’ll go together tomorrow,” Won Sik replies.

 

They’re sitting in Ra Eun’s parents house on a couch. Her parents are glaring at Won Sik.

“I heard you own your business,” her dad asks.

“Yes, sir,” Won Sik answers.

“What is the business,” her mom asks.

“A heel business.”

“Do you sell it,” her dad asks.

“Yes. I have workers who sell it for me,” Won Sik replies.

“Do you make it yourself?”

“Yes, sir. I have a worker for that too.”

“It sure looks like you’ve build a pretty good life.”

“Thank you, sir.”

“How’s business?”

“Great. A little slow, but that’s fine. I’m sure that this business will eventually get better.”

“I like your positive attitude.”

“Thank you, sir.”

“But your positive attitude isn’t going to feed my daughter,” her mom says. “We want someone who will be able to provide for her once they wed.”

“I understand,” Won Sik says. “And I promise you that I’ll provide for your daughter once we get married.”

“But I heard she’s been providing for you.”

“That’s because he was in no capability to take care of himself,” Ra Eun says. “He was sick.”

“The more reasons why we can’t accept him.”

Ra Eun frowns.

“I’m all better,” Won Sik assures. “I’m working very hard to make up for what I loss.”

“And that’s going to take years,” her mom says.

“Son,” her dad starts. “I’m sure you’re a very loyal and great man, but we can’t have our daughter marrying you. There’s just too much at stake.”

“Is there anything we can do to prove to you guys we will make this work,” Won Sik asks.

“No. There isn’t, so please leave my daughter as soon as possible.”

Won Sik and Ra Eun sadly leave the house.

“No matter what,” Ra Eun says. “I will never marry the man my parents want me to marry.”

“You know I love you,” Won Sik says. “And I don’t want to let you go to anyone else, but what if we do as your parents say?”

“What are you talking about?”

“I don’t want disobey your parents.”

“I understand. I don’t want to disobey them either, but sometimes we have to in order to get what we want, and I want you, so please don’t say anything about breaking up.”

She hugs him, and he hugs her back.

A few weeks has past, and everything is going fine. Ra Eun and Won Sik are still dating. Of course, her parents are always on her back asking her to break up with Won Sik, but she sternly rejects them everytime.

One day after work, Ra Eun calls him out. They meet at a park where no one is at.

The sky is just turning pink, and the sun is just setting.

“Why did you call me here,” Won Sik asks.

They’re sitting on a bench staring into the distance.

“Won Sik,” she starts. “I think it’s time we break up.”

“What do you mean,” he asks confused. He turns his head to face her, but she never looks at him.

“I’m breaking up with you.”

“Why?”

“Because I don’t love you anymore.”

“That’s not true.” He puts his hands on her shoulders and turns her to face him. “Just yesterday, you said you loved me. What’s the real reason why you’re breaking up with me?”

“I told you,” she says holding her tears back. “I don’t love you anymore.”

“Lie.”

“I’m not lying. After rethinking about what my parents said, they’re right. I don’t want to take care of someone. I want them to take care of me. You’re like a baby. I can’t take it anymore. Let’s break up.”

Won Sik sighs. “Fine. If that’s how you really feel. Let’s break up.” He lets go of her shoulder and stands up before he walks away.

When he is out of sight, she cries her eyes out, and he is doing the same.

“I told you she was going to hurt you, idiot,” the voice says. “Now you’re miserable again.”

 

For the next few days, Won Sik has been down. The guys notice this at work and asks him when they are on their break.

“What’s wrong,” Sung Yeol asks.

“You’ve been looking down,” Dong Jun adds.

“Ra Eun and I broke up,” Won Sik says.

“You did,” Jin Young asks shocked. “But you two were so in love.”

“Her parents influenced her,” Won Sik says. “They never liked me in the first place. They want her to marry someone who is richer than me.”

“I’m sorry,” Dae Hyun says.

“Are you okay,” Sung Yeol asks.

“I’m hurt,” Won Sik says. “But I’ll survive. My therapist said I have to fight through the negativity in my life. If not, I’ll be depressed again, so I have to be fine. I have to be positive.”

“If it hurts then it hurts,” Dae Hyun says. “You don’t have to pretend that you’re fine. Isn’t that what you did in the first place?”

“But this time, I have you guys” Won Sik says. “You all know about me, so I should be fine.”

“If it hurts tell us. If you want to cry, go ahead. Don’t try to distract yourself with work, and don’t keep everything in anymore,” Dong Jun says.

Won Sik nods his head.

After work, Won Sik goes straight home. He changes and eats dinner. He feels lonely without Ra Eun. She’s been in his house so much that every corner of it has a memory. Won Sik misses her so much. He grabs his key and walks out to his car. He drives over to her house. Won Sik parks a house away from her house and stares out the car window.

The lights are on. He can see her silhouette through the window. She’s standing around which makes Won Sik want to go and hold her, but another silhouette appears in front of his eye. The silhouette is a man. He goes hug Ra Eun, and Won Sik’s heart breaks even more. Won Sik turns his head away, and when he turns back, they’re gone. He looks for them with his eyes, but they don’t see them. Won Sik looks up, and sees them in her bedroom. He looks away and cries. He shouldn’t have been here in the first place. Won Sik knows that she will be with her fiance, so why is he surprised?

Won Sik drives off.

At home, Won Sik would cry. He’d stop, and then cry again.

At work, he will tell the guys how he feels, but what more can they do than give him words of encouragement? They know he’s miserable, and Won Sik knows it too. He faces the fact that everything is going down hill now, but as time goes on, he’ll heal. For now, all he can do is work and go on with life.

One day, he calls his mom. She answers like how she usually does.

“Why did you call,” she asks.

“I was just wondering how you’ve been doing,” Won Sik says.

“I’m the same. You? Have your mentality been getting better?”

“Yes. It’s a lot better now. Thanks to you, mom.”

“I’m glad.”

“But I’m lonely.”

“Why?”

Won Sik tells his mom what happened to him.

“The only thing I can tell you is be single for your whole life. It’ll make your life so much easier, but if you do end up getting married, good for you. Look. I have to go now.”

“Alright, mom.”

She hangs up, and so does he.

That didn’t make him feel better, but it feels nice talking to his mother.