Five

Eternal Love

 

When the time comes for Won Sik to meet the CEO of the modeling agency, he wears his usual suit and drives to the company.

“Hello,” he greets the lady at the front desk. “I’m here to meet Mr. Han.”

“Hello,” she greets back. “Do you have an appointment with him?”

“I do.”

“Please tell me your name.”

“Kim Won Sik.”

She picks up the phone and presses a button.

“Mr. Han, Mr. Kim is here to meet you,” she says into the phone. She hangs up. “Please follow me,” she tells Won Sik. She leads the way to the elevator. “He’s on level seven. His office is the second door to the left.”

“Thank you,” Won Sik says. He rides the elevator up to the seventh level and heads straight to the office. He knocks on the door.

“Come in,” he hears.

Won Sik turns the doorknob and opens the door. He walks in and closes the door behind him.

“You must be Mr. Kim,” Mr. Han says.

“Yes,” Won Sik replies.

“Please sit.” Mr. Han gestures to the chair in front of his desk.

Won Sik takes a seat and sets his briefcase down on the ground.

“I’ll get straight to the point,” Mr. Han says. “Like I’ve said before, I would like to buy 150 of your latest project.”

“I would like to ask you why you want out product,” Won Sik asks.

“Because I like it. It goes with the attires that we have planned for our models.”

“You could choose any brand out there, but you chose ours. I’m very grateful that you would even consider buying from us. I’ve spoken with my employees already, and they like the idea. They want to sell our product to you.”

“What about you? If the boss is not willing, then I won’t force anyone to.”

“I also agree. If Mr. Han is willing to buy our product, others would want to buy our product too right? I’m honored to sell to you.”

“Great,” Mr. Han says with a smile.

“I’ve brought all the paperwork with me,” Won Sik says. He picks up his briefcase. “If you fill the paper out now, we can ship them to you at once. If you want time to fill them out, I’ll leave them with you and give you my business card with the companies address, so you can mail the files to me.”

“Give them to me now. I’ll fill them out. It’ll be easier that way.”

Won Sik opens his briefcase and pulls out the papers. He hands them over to Mr. Han, and Mr. Han accepts them. Mr. Han fills them out and hands them back to Won Sik.

“Thank you,” Won Sik says accepting the papers. “We’ll send the heels to you as soon as possible.”

“Great. When we receive the heels, I’ll have one of my man come to pay for them.”

“Of course.”

“Pleasure doing business with you.”

“The pleasure is mine.”

Mr. Han walks Won Sik to the elevator. “Have a safe trip back,” Mr. Han says.

“Thank you.” Won Sik boards the elevator and heads down to the first level.

The elevator dings, and the door opens. Won Sik walks out, but accidentally bumps into someone. He tumbles backwards, but quickly catches his balance.

“Are you okay,” he asks the lady. He walks over to her.

“I’m fine. Sorry, I wasn’t looking where I was going.” She fixes her hair and looks up at him.

He looks at her with wide eyes.

“If you’re okay, I have to go. Mr. Han is looking for me,” she says.

“Oh. Yeah. I’m sorry.” He steps out of the elevator.

She presses a button, and the elevator door closes.

Won Sik can’t keep his eyes off of her. Even when the door closes, he’s still looking at the elevator. He turns and starts walking to the lobby.

“She doesn’t remember me,” he tells himself. “Of course she doesn’t. She’s met so many people. Why would she remember me?”

Won Sik was still living with his mother. He was sitting on the couch watching the news. That’s when he heard about the heartbreaking news.

“The popular and rising star, So Youn Mi, was caught going on a date with no other then the already so popular model Nam Joo Hyuk. We have a picture of them here with us today,” the anchor lady says.

A picture of Youn Mi and Joo Hyuk are on the screen.

“Look at them,” the anchorman says. “They make such a cute couple.”

“They do don’t they,” the anchor lady adds.

Won Sik turns off the television.

A few days later, Won Sik is watching the news again.

“It’s been confirmed,” the anchor lady says. “Youn Mi and Joo Hyuk are officially dating. Congratulations to the cute couple.”

Won Sik turns the television off. His heart is broken even more. He throws a pillow at the television.

Did she break up with him to be with that Joo Hyuk guy?

Even to this day, Won Sik still has no answer to that question.

At the office, he tells everyone about the deal he made with Mr. Han. Everyone is happy and excited. They get to work right away, so they can ship the heels off. After the shipping is done, Mr. Han sends a man to Classy Clicks like he said he would. The man pays for the shoes, and leaves the store.

Weeks later, Won Sik receives a message from Mr. Han. “I invite you and your employees to our show next week at 7. Hope to see you there.”

Won Sik tells the guys, and they are more than happy to go, so when the day comes, they all dress up to go to the show. They go in their own vehicles, but they follow Won Sik to the place. They park their car next to each other’s and walk to the front.

“Kim Won Sik,” Won Sik tells the man at the door. “Mr. Han said I could bring some people.” The guys wave to the man.

The man checks the list and motions for them to go in.

They walk into the room where the show is going to take place, and a woman welcomes them.

“Please follow me to your seats,” the woman says.

She leads them to front row seats.

“Mr. Han especially saved these seats for you,” the woman says.

“Thank you,” Won Sik says.

“If you stay, there is an after show. We’ll be serving food and drinks for everyone.”

“Alright. Thank you.”

She leaves, and they sit down.

The room is already filled with so many people. The room is filled with everyone chatting.

“This is so cool,” Dong Jun says. “I’ve never been to a modeling show before.”

“I’m so excited,” Dae Hyun exclaims.

Pretty soon, the show starts. Music plays, and the announcer comes out to introduce what will happen for the evening, and then one by one, the models come out.

The guys stare at the women especially the shoes.

“No wonder Mr. Han wanted our shoes. They do go well with the attires,” Sung Yeol comments.

Won Sik looks at the women and observes their attire. He also looks at the makeup. Everything goes so well together. Mr. Han definitely has the eyes for models, and the person who designed the attires is very good. Won Sik turns to look at Sung Yeol. He can tell that Sung Yeol’s eyes are sparkling at the attires He can’t wait until Sung Yeol becomes a famous designer. Won Sik knows that Sung Yeol can be a fantastic designer. Sung Yeol will have a very bright future if Sung Yeol keeps up his good work. Won Sik turns back to see the models. As he’s looking, he sees a photographer taking pictures. Won Sik stares at the photographer and notices that it’s Ra Eun. She looks more like a professional to Won Sik, and she looks very passionate about it.

“Finally,” the announcer announces. “The moment we have all been waiting for. The special models for tonight. Everyone please give a warm welcome to So Youn Mi and Nam Joo Hyuk

Won Sik freezes in his seat. He waits for Youn Mi to come out and when she does, she struts down the walkway with Joo Hyuk in confidence. She is wearing the heels like everyone else.

Does she even know that she’s wearing the heel Won Sik and his friends made?

Youn Mi and Joo Hyuk stand at the end of the stage and poses for a second before they strut back.

“Won Sik,” Sung Yeol starts. “Are you okay?”

Won Sik nods his head. “I’m fine,” he replies. However, he lied. He is not fine. Seeing Youn Mi up there made his heart throb in a bad way, but he couldn’t do anything about it. They have broken up already. No matter how much he still misses and loves her, she will never love him back. “Are you guys staying for the second show,” Won Sik asks the guys.

“Yeah,” they agreed.

“Are you,” Dae Hyun asks.

“I’m feeling a little tired,” Won Sik replies. “I’m going to head home after this.”

They nod their head.

After the first show is over, some people start to head home. The majority of the audience members are staying.

Won Sik is one of the people who is leaving.

“Drive safely,” Won Sik tells the guys.

“You too,” they respond back.

Won Sik leaves the room. As he exits through the door, he bumps into Mr. Han.

“Mr. Kim,” Mr. Han smiles. “You came.”

“I did, sir,” Won Sik replies.

“Are you heading home?”

“I am. I’m not feeling too well.”

“Sad you can’t stay for the second show.”

“The attires are magnificent,” Won Sik says changing the subject. “I see why you wanted my product so badly.”

“I told you. Our items just go so well with each other. Well, I have to run. I’m wanted backstage.”

“Have a pleasant evening.”

“You too.”

Mr. Han dashes into the room while Won Sik walks out the door. He heads to his car and pulls his key out of his blazer pocket. He presses the unlock button, and his car beeps. Won Sik walks to the driver’s side and is about to climb in when he hears someone yelping. He looks around and sees a figure standing beside a car. He stares at the figure until the figure becomes familiar to him. It’s Ra Eun. Won Sik closes his car door and slowly makes his way over to her.

“Are you okay,” he asks her.

She looks up and sighs in relief when she notices that the man is just Won Sik.

“I’m fine,” she says. “I almost spilled coffee all over my camera that’s all.”

“Oh. That won’t be good.”

“No it wouldn’t.” She closes her car door and sets her coffee cup on top of her car. “What are you doing here,” she asks. Ra Eun takes the camera strap and hangs it around her neck, so the camera doesn’t fall.

“I came to watch the show,” Won Sik replies.

“Then what are you doing out here? The second show is about to start.”

“I’m going home.”

“Already? The second show is usually the best part of the show.”

“I’m not feeling too well.”

“Oh. Hope you feel better.”

“Thanks. What are you doing here?”

“I’m here to take pictures.” She grabs the coffee cup from on top of her car and takes a sip.

“For your blog?”

“No. For my boss. My real job is a photographer.”

“Really? I thought you were a writer.”

“I do write, but I take more pictures.”

“Interesting.”

She takes another sip of her coffee. “I have to go. If I don’t get pictures of the second show, my boss will fire me.”

“Of course.”

“It was nice meeting you again.”

He nods his head.

“Bye.” She runs back inside, and he walks back to his car.

“She’s actually a photographer,” he tells himself.

At home, he turns on his laptop and looks up Youn Mi. There are news articles about her. Videos and pictures of her are all over the place. She’s modeled in many places in the world and has made a name for herself. He clicks on some pictures and news articles about her. He even watched some of the videos about her. Youn Mi was always smiling and willing to answer questions. Won Sik is happy that she has reached her dreams. He looks up her relationship status, and it says that she is still with Joo Hyuk. His heart breaks even more, so he takes a deep breath to calm himself down.

“At least they’re still together,” he tells himself. “I bet she’s happy.”

He closes all the tabs and shuts his computer down.

Won Sik goes to the kitchen and opens the fridge before he pulls out a water bottle. He takes a sip and puts the bottle back. Then, he gets ready for bed. He's too tired to take a shower, so he just puts on his pajamas, turns off all the lights, and climbs into bed.

He's lying there wide awake. Won Sik is tired, but he can't seem to fall asleep. He tosses and turns, but that isn't helping either. Won Sik sits up and turns on the lamp that is sitting on the nightstand next to his bed. He grabs his phone and starts browsing the web. All of a sudden, Ra Eun pops into his head. The fact that she's actually a photographer pops into his head. Won Sik searches her and finds her website. She wasn't lying. She is a photographer. He reads her bio, and at the end, she puts, “I blog as an extra activity. Check it out!” And she even has a link to her blog.

How did he miss this? She's a famous photographer, but he didn't even know it. She mainly takes pictures of weddings, and there are tons of pictures of people's weddings on her website.

“If you have any questions or would like to contact me call me at this number,” she writes, and she gives her phone number at the end.

He saves her as a contact just in case he might need her.

He sets his phone on the nightstand and lies down again. Won Sik closes his eyes, and the last thing he sees is Ra Eun smiling at him.

The next day, Won Sik goes for his jog as usual. He comes back, takes a shower, and then heads to work.

“Since we've just launched two projects and they were both successful,” Won Sik tells the guys. “I want everyone to work harder. Sung Yeol, come up with another design that you think will become the next hit.”

“I actually have something in mind,” Sung Yeol says.

“Tell me.”

“The next season coming is winter, and I was thinking why not go somewhere along the line of heel boots.”

“Okay, but so many heel boots are out there already. What makes you think this will become the next big hit?”

“I want to make this boot comfortable. When ladies wear heels, they complain that their feet hurts. I'll design a heel boot that causes less pain for the ladies.”

“How do you plan to do that?”

Sung Yeol tells Won Sik his plan, and Won Sik nods his head.

“I like that you're thinking like that. We can't focus on the majorities only. We must consider everyone. Go ahead with the plan.”

“Thank you, sir.”

“With the success we've had with our last two products,” Jin Young says. “We'll have leftover money after we are done making this product.”

“Great,” Won Sik adds. “But we can't go out and buy whatever we want. We must make sure we really have leftover. How much do we have exactly?”

Jin Young tells him the amount.

“Save a third of that, so we have something to bounce back on if something goes wrong,” Won Sik orders.

“Yes, sir,” Jin Young salutes.

The bell hanging on the door rings, so Dong Jun welcomes the customer with a wide smile.

“Hello,” the customer replies. “You remember me right?”

“It’s you,” Dong Jun exclaims. “Of course I remember you. Jin Hee. Ra Eun’s friend.”

“Yeah.”

“How may I help you today?”

“I’m just going to look around.”

“Everything is the same, but go ahead. If you need help with anything, call me over and I’ll help you.”

She smiles and slowly walks to the display tables.

The bell chimes again.

“Welcome to Classy Clicks,” Dong Jun greets brightly. “How may I help you today?”

“Do you still have your latest heel in stock,” the man asks.

“Depends which one you’re looking for.”

“The creamed color one with the strap.”

“Oh yes! We have plenty of that left. What size are you looking for,” Dong Jun asks as he walks to the section with the heels.

The man tells Dong Jun the size, and Dong Jun immediately pulls the right one out.

“Please follow me,” Dong Jun commands as he leads the man back to the cash register. “This must be for someone special,” Dong Jun comments as he rings him up.

“Yes. My girlfriend’s birthday is tomorrow. She’s been eyeing that heel for a while now, so I thought it’ll be nice for me to buy it for her.”

“She’ll surely like it.”

The man pays for the heel.

“Thank you for shopping at Classy Clicks. If you’re not satisfied with something come back, and we’ll give you a refund. Have a nice day.”

“Thank you!” The man walks out of the shop.

Dong Jun smiles and looks around. Jin Hee is looking at a pair of heels. He walks over to her.

“Would you like to try it on,” Dong Jun asks her.

“Huh?” She immediately turns her head towards his direction.

“Sorry,” he apologizes. “Did I scare you?”

“Just a little.”

“I’m sorry.”

“It’s okay.”

“Do you want to try it on?”

“Huh?”

“The heel,” he says pointing to the heel that she is holding.

“Oh.” She puts the heel back. “No thank you. I was just looking.”

She seems a little distracted from her own thoughts, and Dong Jun wanted to ask if everything is okay, but he isn’t in the position to ask her.

“I’ve been here too long,” Jin Hee says. “I think I’ll head back.”

“Okay.”

They walk to the door.

“Have a nice day,” Dong Jun says. He smiles and waves at her.

She forces a smile and slowly walks out the door.

The bell chimes, and Dong Jun goes back to stand behind the cash register.

Jin Hee takes two steps away from the store and stops. She turns back and walks into the store again.

“Welcome,” Dong Jun greets. He looks at who came and is shocked to see Jin Hee again. “Did you forget something?”

She slowly walks to the register. Her hands are tightly gripping onto the strap of her purse.

“I,” she stops.

“Is something wrong,” he asks.

“I want to tell you something.”

“Go ahead.” He waits for her to continue.

“Gosh this is embarrassing,” she breathes. Her grip on the purse strap tightens.

“What is it?”

“Dong Jun,” she starts. Jin Hee takes a deep breath. “Let’s date,” she blurts.

“Excuse me,” he asks startled.

“I mean,” her voice becomes quiet. “Do you have a girlfriend?”

“No. I don’t.”

“I like you. Let’s date,” she says a little more confident.

He doesn’t know what to say, while she’s waiting for his answer.

“I mean,” he pauses. “It’s all so sudden.”

“You don’t have to answer me right away,” she says. “I’ll give you time to think it over.” She walks over to him. “I’ll give you my number so you can call me.” She slips a piece of paper onto the counter. Jin Hee looks everywhere, but Dong Jun. “Bye,” she whispers. Jin Hee quickly walks out the door. She stops in her tracks and bites her lips. She places her hand on her beating heart and tightly closes her eyes.

Dong Jun takes the piece of paper and stares at the number she had written on it.

After work hours, Dong Jun closes the store and heads to the back. He opens the door to the office room. Dong Jun walks up to an empty chair and slumps down.

“What’s the matter with you,” Jin Young asks.

“Guys,” Dong Jun mutters out. “Have any of you guys dated?”

“What,” Sung Yeol asks. “Speak louder. We can’t hear you.”

“I was asked out today,” Dong Jun says.

“You were,” Jin Young asks excited. “By who? A customer?”

“Jin Hee. Ra Eun’s friend,” Dong Jun replies.

“Really?”

“But she was so straight forward. I froze and didn’t know what to say.” Dong Jun sits up from his seat. “She said she’d give me time to think it over. Should I say yes?”

“Is this your first time being asked out by a girl,” Jin Young asks.

Dong Jun nods his head. “I’ve never experienced this before. What should I do,” he pleads.

“If you like her then go ahead and say yes,” Dae Hyun replies. “What does it matter if she asked you out?”

“Shouldn’t it be the man who asks a girl out,” Dong Jun asks.

“What century are you living in?”

“Perhaps not the right one,” Sung Yeol adds.

“She seems like a nice girl,” Dae Hyun says. “If you like her say yes. If you don’t, don’t lead her on.”

“This is a decision you must make on your own,” Sung Yeol adds.

Dong Jun nods his head.

After everyone leaves, Won Sik locks the place and heads home. As he’s walking to his car, he takes out his phone and calls his mom, but she isn’t picking up. He climbs into his car and turns on the engine.

“What if something happened to her,” he asks himself.

He drives home, and that night, he couldn’t sleep. His mom was on his mind. What if something did happen to her? He needs to know.

The next morning, he emails the guys that he won’t be going into work. Since everyone has a spare key to the place, they can open the shop themselves.

Won Sik gets ready and drives to his mother’s house.

He knocks on the door, but no one is answering it. He knocks on it again, and finally the door opens.

His mom’s silhouette is in front of him. Her hair is neatly tied back and she’s wearing a blue shirt and black pants.

“What are you doing here,” she grimaces at him.

“I was worried about you,” Won Sik replies. “You weren’t answering my calls.”

“My phone broke.”

“Should I buy you another one?”

“No. One is shipping to my house already.”

She walks away from the door, and he walks inside. Won Sik closes the door and takes off his shoes before he puts on his old slippers. He enters to the living room and looks around. Everything is the same.

“I'm heading out to meet some friends,” his mom says. She's in her room. “I won't be back until seven.”

“What are you doing with your friends?”

“We're going to have lunch together, and then we're going to our classes.” She walks out carrying her small purse and goes put on her shoes.

“What classes?”

“We signed up for an art class and a writing class. I have to run. I'm already late.”

She walks out the door and slams it shut.

Won Sik is alone. The house is quiet. He walks to the window and looks outside. He sees his mom hauling a taxi. One stops beside her, so she climbs in and closes the door. The taxi drives away.

If she'd given him time to speak, he would've offered her a ride.

Won Sik walks to his room. Everything is the same. He closes the door and walks to the kitchen. He decides to make his mom dinner since he hasn't done that in a long time. Won Sik looks in the fridge, and there is nothing to make.

“How does she get by,” he asks himself. “Does she go eat out?”

Won Sik heads out. He closes the door behind him and bends down to the mat on the floor. Won Sik lifts it up and grabs the extra key that is there before he goes shopping for groceries.

Won Sik is pulling a cart and grabbing items to make chicken stew since his mom likes to eat chicken stew. He also grabs some other items he thinks his mom would like. After he is done grabbing the items, he goes to the checkout line.

“Aren't you Won Sik,” the woman asks as she rings him up. “Sung Lee’s son?”

“That's me,” Won Sik replies.

Her face brightens. “I haven't seen you in such a long time!”

He looks at her weird.

“You don't remember me? It's me! Chirpie auntie!”

“Ahh,” he says after some thinking. “I remember now.”

“Yeah,” she asks with a big smile. “You've grown up so much! You've become a man! You're so tall and handsome!”

“Thank you,” Won Sik says with a straight face.

“How've you been? I heard you opened your own business.”

“I did.”

“Good for you! You're not becoming a bum like your father. Did you know he went to jail for robbing a store?”

“He did?”

She nods her head and bags the items.

“You're just visiting,” she asks.

“Yes.”

“Enjoy visiting your mom. She's been lonely without you.”

He nods his head and pays the bill.

“Have a nice day now,” she sings.

“Thank you,” he replies. He grabs all the groceries and heads back home.

At home, he starts cooking for dinner. When he is about done, which is around six, the front door opens.

“What are you cooking,” he hears his mom asks.

“Chicken stew,” he replies. “I also bought some groceries for you. Dinner is almost done.”

His mom goes to her room.

“You said you were coming at seven,” Won Sik says.

“My class ended early today,” his mom replies.

Won Sik sets the table. When he is ready, he calls his mom over. They sit down. Won Sik waits for his mom to eat first. When she does, he picks up his spoon and starts eating too.

“Ugh,” his mom says. “Why did you make it so bland?” She hits him on the head with her spoon.

It hurt, but he is used to it.

“Pass me the salt,” she commands.

He gives her the salt shaker, and she shakes some salt into her soup.

“Do you cook for other people too,” she asks. “If you do, you should just stop. They won't like your cooking. You didn't even know how much salt to put in.”

Silence eats them.

“Mom,” Won Sik says with all his courage.

“What is it?”

He pauses. “Do you miss dad?”

“No. Why would I miss such a miserable person?”

“I heard that he's in jail now.”

“Serves him right. You know he left me when he found out that I was pregnant with you? Such a jerk.”

“Mom,” he pauses. “Do you love me?”

“Love? What do you mean love?”

“I mean ever since you gave birth to me, have you ever loved me?”

“Let me tell you one thing. You were a mistake.”

Won Sik’s heart gets cut by her words.

“I never meant to give birth to you. Your father and I were young and stupid. I wanted to get rid of you when I first found out about you, but that bastard made me believe that he would take care of me and you. In the end, he ran away with another woman.”

“Do you blame that woman?”

“No. I blame your father. I wouldn't be surprised if you ended up like him, but you didn't. I know that I never gave you what every mother gave their child, but I did my best, and look at you. You're okay.”

“Does that mean that you love me,” he asks with hope.

“No. That means that you're my responsibility.”

Won Sik suddenly loses his appetite.

“Because of you, I never got to be what I wanted to be,” she continues.

“What did you want to be,” Won Sik asks.

“A ballerina. I know it sounds crazy, but before I had you, I had the perfect body. I was flexible, and I could do anything.”

“I'm sorry that I made you give up on your dreams.”

“I don't blame you. I blame my stupidity.”

Won Sik forces himself to finish dinner because if he doesn't, he knows his mom is going to hit him.

“Are you sleeping over,” his mom asks.

“Yes,” Won Sik replies.

“Don't you have work?”

“My employees know what to do.”

Won Sik goes takes a shower. He looks through his closet to see if he had any extra clothes. He puts on a tight t-shirt and short sweatpants. Won Sik climbs into bed and lies there wide awake.

The conversation at dinner replays in his head.

“Because of you, I never got to be what I wanted to be. No. That means you're my responsibility.”

He's never had such a deep conversation with his mom before. This was the first time, and his feelings are hurt. He is being neglected by his own mother. His father is in jail. Actually, he's never even seen his father. Not even a picture.

Won Sik didn't sleep at all that night.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A/N: Sorry that I didn't update for such a long time. School is eating me, so I've been relaxing and watching korean dramas. Anyway, I hope you liked this update! Thank you for reading! ^^