Let's Run Away

By My Side

- November 1, 2018 -

Rain pelted them as they swirled into existence on a grassy knoll somewhere in the French countryside was the last thing Kibum had been expecting to greet them when they arrived. He swore under his breath, but Minho whipped out his wand, turning the tip of it into an umbrella large enough for them to huddle together under. He wrapped his arm around Kibum, hurrying to guide him out of the downpour and into the small outcropping of trees.

"Where are we at?" Minho asked, his teeth chattering, as Kibum reached elbow, then shoulder deep into his bag for the map he had packed.

He pulled it out, handing one half to Minho so he could help him hold it steady, then tapped the tip of his wand to the parchment. A small, pulsing red dot appeared a few centimeters away from Paris on the map. "I think we overshot, love."

"It's okay, we'll figure it out."

"Dare we apparate closer?"

Kibum pulled the map down a little, peering over the edge of it. There was a town -- or was it a village? -- maybe a mile or two away. The lights of it twinkled in the distance, despite the downpour, and the piers of a cathedral pierced through the fall foliage.

"We can always modify a few memories if we have to."

Kibum sniffed a laugh, glancing up at Minho. "I like the way you think." He folded the map back up then tucked it in the front pocket of his bag. "Accio Babbling Concoction," he said, tapping the tip of his wand on the top of his bag.

First, there was the sound of tinkling glass, and then out of the opening shot two little bottles of jet black potion. Kibum handed a bottle to Minho then pocketed his own.

"No, wait," he said quickly, and Minho froze as he was trying to unstopper the cork. "Wait until we're with the Muggles. It'll last longer."

It was Kibum's own recipe: the Babbling Concoction. He had been working on it since they had decided to go abroad for their honeymoon so they would be able to speak easily with the locals. It took several tests and myriad strange looks from No-Majs that they had spoken to in Korean with the intent of being heard in the listener's native language. But, he had gotten it. Chameleon tongue had been the secret ingredient.

Altogether, the concoction tasted a bit like slightly bitter chocolate.

They had a whole case of the stuff, which would hopefully last them until they took their portkey to Korea.

Minho pocketed his bottle then held out his arm for Kibum to slip his hand around. And then Kibum twisted on the spot, and they were gone, only to appear a second later at the outskirts of the village. Right in front of a little boy who was bringing his cat in from the rain. Just as he yelled for his mother--Kibum assumed since he was speaking French-- Kibum pulled his wand out and whispered “Obliviate!”

The boy’s face became slack and he released his fluffy cat, who scampered inside and out of the downpour. Minho reached into his pocket and opened the bottle of the potion, downing it all before a harried woman appeared out of the doorway leading into the house. Her son ran to her, hiding behind her and poking his head out to look up at him and Minho, who spoke to her.

In perfect French.

Or, at least, it seemed that way, given that she didn’t give him an odd look and responded just as easily. Whatever she said, she stepped out into the rain, guiding the two of them toward the road and gesturing toward the looming cathedral. He nodded, bowed slightly as he smiled at her, then brought Kibum along with him as he stepped into the street.

“What’d you ask her?”

“You couldn’t understand me?” Kibum shook his head and Minho chuckled. “Well, I asked for directions for the nearest bus or train station so we could get to Paris.”

“So?” Minho hummed in question.”Which is it? Bus or train?”

“Both. We have to take the bus to get to the train.”

The rain had let up by the time their train rolled into the station in Paris, and by then, Minho’s potion had worn off. Kibum, however, had just drunk his first bottle, so he was able to hail a cab that would get them to their hotel at the heart of Paris. Minho leaned against him, looking out of Kibum’s window instead of his own at the passing blur of the city. Their cab stopped on the curb of the Hôtel La Comtesse Tour Eiffel, and they stepped out, both of their attention captured by the Eiffel Tower across the way. After a few dazed seconds, Kibum remembered he needed to pay the driver, so he did, and he dragged Minho inside the hotel.

Since he was the one who could speak French right now, he checked them into the hotel while Minho wandered around the lobby. There was a currently empty bar with cloud-like chandeliers and a fine dining area set across from it. And on the other end, a chapel with its doors ajar and what seemed to be a movie theater, but the woman behind the desk gave him their room key, and Kibum called Minho over to him, and together they started for the elevators.

“They have a workout room!” Minho said, obviously excited. “And a pool!”

Kibum sniffed a laugh, glancing up at him before he unlocked their door with the key. “I think we can come up with a few more fun ways to work out during our honeymoon, don’t you think?”

Minho heaved a heavy, dramatic sigh, but he couldn’t hide his smile. “I suppose. If we must.”

Grinning, Kibum pushed open the door to their room.

Inside, a white hallway curved around to the main room, revealing a huge bed, a gold mirror shaped like the sun, and a pair of bright orange armchairs. A closet opposite of the bed took up nearly the entire wall. Curtains hung draped around the floor-to-ceiling windows, one of which framed the Eiffel Tower. Kibum tossed the bag with all of their stuff inside on one of the armchairs as he crossed the room to the balcony, and Minho disappeared, ducking into the doorway that Kibum assumed led to the bathroom.

Kibum leaned against the wrought iron banister, looking out over Paris. Though they had lived in the city for several years now, there was something so much more charming about Paris compared to New York. Maybe it was just the change of scenery.

Hm.

He looked back at the sound of Minho’s footsteps, smiling as he approached. “This is an insanely nice hotel,” he said as he wrapped his arms around him, resting his chin on Kibum’s shoulder.

“It is.” When Minho didn’t respond right away, Kibum turned his head to kiss his temple. Minho hummed absently, and Kibum’s fingers grazed against Minho’s hand on his waist. “Something on your mind?”

“What was Taemin doing at Jjong’s house?”

Kibum burst out laughing, turning around fully to face him, though Minho’s hands didn’t leave his waist. “Are you serious?” Minho gave him an incredulous look, then nodded. “Babe, please. Isn’t it obvious?”

“Wait, did they..?” Kibum sighed heavily, and Minho’s brow furrowed a little. “But, doesn’t Taemin have to leave soon? What will that do to Jjong?”

“He’s an adult, isn’t he? He can decide to do what he wants.”

“I guess. I just don’t want him to get hurt again, you know?”

Kibum wrapped his arms around Minho then, going up on his tiptoes to kiss him. “You’re very sweet.” Minho smiled shyly, and Kibum kissed him again, the vista of Paris spread out behind him forgotten now. “What do you want to do now?”

Minho swayed a little, taking Kibum along with him as he took a step back toward the bedroom. “What are my options?”

“Well, we could go down to see the Eiffel Tower with the rest of the tourists. Or we could order some room service.” His eyes met Kibum’s, that familiar glimmer that always meant something very good was about to happen. “Or something else entirely. Whatever we feel like.”

“Whatever?” Kibum nodded, then laughed when Minho immediately scooped him up and carried him inside.

It was dark outside and the city was aglow just outside their room by the time their room service arrived. Kibum was lounging on the bed, the fluffy bathrobe wrapped loosely around him as he listened to Minho hum a song he didn’t recognize in the spacious marble shower in the other room. He was flipping through a French fashion magazine he found in one of the drawers in the closet when someone knocked at the door.

“Min, I think the food is here!” he called out, fixing his robe around himself as he headed for the door. Kibum opened the door for the attendant, letting him wheel in the delicious-smelling cart of food. “Um, just here is fine,” Kibum said, gesturing to the table between the armchairs, then stepped back to let the man set up their plates of cheese and herb stuffed crepes, garlic butter-basted steak, fancy little desserts that Kibum couldn’t remember the name of, and two glasses of champagne with the bottle.

Kibum fumbled for his bag, digging in for some euros to give to him as a tip. He turned to leave, and just in time too because Minho came out of the bathroom covered only by a towel. He grinned at Kibum as he sat in the nearest armchair.

“We should do this more often.”

“What, stay in a fancy hotel?” Minho nodded, still grinning. “Babe, we don’t get married every day.”

“Maybe we should.”

Kibum snorted, finally sitting beside him and bringing the plate of crepes closer to him so he could cut off a bite. “I mean, who says the honeymoon has to end when we get home?”

“Loads of people.”

“Well, I say we should ignore them and just do whatever the we want. Mm, wait.” He paused to chew, having just taken a bite of the crepe. “Try some of this.” Minho scooted closer, turning the plate toward him.

They crawled into bed soon after finishing their dinner, still tired from the celebration yesterday. Kibum sighed, closing his eyes and smiling, as he settled in Minho’s arms. The steady cadence of Minho’s heartbeat was nearly enough to lull him to sleep almost immediately. The last thing he remembered before drifting off was Minho kissing the crown of his head.

They must have shifted together during the night because when Kibum woke with the sun, he had turned toward the window and Minho was spooning him. Still holding him. Slowly, carefully, Kibum turned over. Despite his efforts, Minho stirred, his face scrunching slightly at waking up so early.

“Go back to sleep, love,” Kibum whispered, kissing him lightly.

Minho pulled him closer and Kibum let him, his eyes slipping closed once more. Not to sleep, just to relish in the softness of the morning. It wasn’t often that they got to enjoy a lazy morning together in bed, what with their busy schedules, so he was content to stay right here. Wrapped up in Minho, until he woke up.

Or, even, indefinitely.

Because there’s no place else he’d rather be.

* * * * * * * * * *

- November 9, 2018 -

"Did you double-check that we have everything?" Minho nodded, ducking into the bathroom of their suite to make sure, yet again, that there was no trace of them. "Triple-check?"

"Babe," Minho said, chuckling as he slipped out into the main part of the room, finding Kibum sitting on the bed and rummaging through the bag with all their stuff. "We have everything. Just relax."

"Look, I just don't want to have to summon things across Europe."

"I feel like that makes sense."

Kibum huffed, glaring up at Minho when he stopped before him. "You're making fun of me."

"What?" he asked in mock surprise, grinning when Kibum rolled his eyes. "Never."

"When we get home, I'm divorcing you."

"I'll just marry you again. It's no big deal."

Kibum snorted, then smiled as Minho leaned in to kiss him. "We're gonna miss our portkey if we don't hurry," he whispered in between kisses. Minho just nodded, kissing him again.

Kibum pushed him away with a grin before he grabbed their bag, then held out his hand for Minho to take. He did so, and they hurried downstairs to check out of their room. Just before they reached the lobby, Kibum pulled him to a stop and dug in the bag for a bottle of the Babbling Concoction, taking a few sips of it before stuffing it back inside and heading to the front desk.

Minho kept checking his watch, sighing when Kibum's and the attendant's conversation seemed to be dragging on. They only had five minutes before their portkey would expire, and they still had a bit of a walk to get there. He cleared his throat, which drew Kibum's attention away from the attendant, and nodded toward the front door. He must have gotten the hint, because a few short exchanges later, they were out the door and forging through the foot traffic toward the Eiffel Tower.

“Do you remember where you put it?” Minho called as he searched the surrounding gardens for the thin French cookbook Kibum had bought yesterday and they had taken to the French Ministry of Magic to get it turned into the portkey they would be using today. He peered through the tourists, the multiple different languages surrounding him slightly disorienting, in search of his husband.

“Min-hooo!”

Minho whipped around, facing the Eiffel Tower, and found Kibum standing beneath it, waving him over. He darted through the clusters of tourists, no doubt being featured in several people’s photographs as he hurried to Kibum’s side. Just in time, too, because the cookbook started to glow blue just as Minho’s hand grazed it. They didn’t have time to check if any of the Muggles or No-Majes or whatever the French wizards called them noticed their disappearance before Minho was hooked around the middle by the magic of the portkey and carried to Barcelona.

Specifically, to a place called Magiabajo.

Analecia recommended it to them a few months back. Even set up a place for them to stay with her uncle, who ran a hostel for traveling wizarding folks. She had said it was underground, so the surrounding brightness that greeted them surprised Minho. And Kibum, too, given the way he clung to Minho’s arm as they looked around.

Spheres of light, ranging from tiny to small to large and even huge, danced around and above them. Some were filled with a warm, radiating glow, and others a flickering kaleidoscope. They painted the catacombs and themselves in light, and Kibum’s grip on him released, his hand slipping down to clasp his as he started them forward.

It wasn’t only the light that colored the walls. There were mosaics in myriad colors, covering the entrance to Magiabajo. The catacomb split into two paths, and they stopped at the fork. Minho cocked his head as he stared up at the vast mosaic. If there was a pattern to it, he couldn’t discern it at the moment.

“It’s this way, I think,” Kibum whispered, tugging his hand toward the warmer colored end of the catacomb, and Minho fell into step beside him.

There was a white sort of glow emanating from further in, promising daylight just a few steps beyond their line of sight. the colors of the glass and pottery embedded in the floors and the walls shifted from violet to crimson, to orange, to yellow, then to white. “Are we almost there?” Minho had been about to ask, but the question died on his tongue as they rounded the corner.

There was an entire city, filled to bursting with people and colorful buildings stacked one on top of the other. The scent of rich, warm spices, freshly baked bread, and nearby water greeted them. It couldn’t have been the fountain, they were too far…away…

Minho looked up, his mouth hanging open. A river ran over them, suspended as if it were the sky. Ripples of light from the sun shining through the rushing water danced on the colorful cobblestone. A staircase of stones led up to a floating platform where witches and wizards cast lines into the river, trying to bait the fish as they swam past.

“Holy …” Kibum muttered under his breath, and Minho nodded, tearing his gaze away from the river to look around at Magiabajo again. He looked back at Kibum at the sound of vials clinking, and he pulled two of the bottles of the Babbling Concoction, handing one to Minho. “We don’t have to ration it anymore, since we’re not here for very long.”

“I don’t know, we might need it when we get to Daegu. Satoori can be a bit confusing.”

Kibum shoved him away with a laugh, but Minho quickly returned to him, unstoppering his vial and clinking it with Kibum’s before he drank. They blended in with the crowd, then, the Concoction taking effect a moment later. The signs on the buildings, the chatter of the people in the street, they could understand it all, now. Minho scanned the shops carved into the rock wall until he found Besós Inn, which Analecia had mentioned to them several times. He stopped walking, and soon Kibum did too, given that their arms were linked. Minho pointed up at the red and gold sign, then led Kibum inside.

A little gold bell announced their arrival into the empty, comfortably-furnished living room. For a second, Minho thought that this might be someone’s house, but then he registered the rather large desk set up before the doorway leading into the kitchen. A little girl poked her head out from behind the desk, her eyes going wide before she dropped back out of sight. Minho smiled, then glanced around the room again.

The walls were painted a rich, warm mustard color, the drapes and the armchair and the overstuffed couch were all varied shades of burgundy. Hints of bright blue and sage green dotted the room, in the pottery or the pillows lining the couch or the rug that covered the floor. That coupled with the smell of seafood and rice pouring out of the kitchen was enough to make him feel right at home.

Light quick footfalls filled the narrow stairwell, accompanied by the high-pitched giggles of who turned out to be two little boys. One chased the other into the kitchen without even noticing that they were standing there. Kibum sniffed a laugh and released Minho’s arm, heading over to the desk where he leaned over and whispered. “Are your parents around here somewhere?” The little girl must have responded, because then Kibum asked, “Can you go get them?” Then, “Oh, it’s okay, we can wait.” He returned to Minho, then, pulling him over to sit on the couch. “She’s playing hide and seek with her brothers, but she’ll go get her dad when they find her.”

Minho chuckled. “Got it.”

It turned out they didn't have to wait for her brothers to find her. The father came out of the kitchen, wearing a frilly pink apron and carrying a pan of something that smelled amazing. "Oh!" he said, the eyes behind his wire-rimmed glasses widening. "Are you..?"

"Analecia's friends?" Kibum finished for him as he got up.

"You speak Spanish?" The man asked, setting the pan on the clean part of the desk and pulling off his oven mitt to shake Kibum's hand as he approached. Instead of explaining the Babbling Concoction, Kibum nodded. "Are you hungry?"

"Yes," Minho said immediately. They had skipped the complimentary breakfast at the hotel so they wouldn't miss their portkey, and now that it was well past noon, he was beyond famished.

"Follow me, then." Minho pushed up from the couch, trailing behind Kibum and the man. "The name is Mateo, by the way. Mateo Clavel. Kids!" he called out, his raised voice ringing through the hallway. "Lunchtime!"

He led them through into a dining room, a crackling fire gilding the room as he set the pan of what Minho could now see was paella. He took his place beside Kibum, who had sat nearest to the head of the table where Mateo was dishing up brightly colored porcelain plates with the saffron-stained rice.

"Is Momma coming?" the little girl asked as she plopped down in the seat across from Minho.

"No, not for lunch. She's busy at work." One of the boys from before hurtled into the room but froze in the doorway as his eyes laid on Minho and Kibum. His brother ran up right behind him, unfortunately running directly into him. Both tumbled to the floor. One of them started crying. "Camila, can you help them?" Mateo asked, but she was already out of her seat, hurrying over to soothe the crying boy. The other patted his head awkwardly, eying Kibum and Minho. "Come on Max. Miguel. Before it gets cold."

Minho smiled at the crying boy, who sniffed loudly and wiped at his eyes and nose with his grubby hands. The other boy plodded over to Kibum, standing between him and his father as he stared blankly up at him. "Who are you?"

Chuckling, Kibum introduced himself.

"Remember? Your Cousin Ana's friend?” When the boy didn’t say anything and instead just stared up at Kibum, Mateo slipped the spoon back in the pan, grabbing him by the shoulders and guiding him away. “Come on, Max, don’t be rude.”

While Kibum might have been a little uncomfortable -- though, he didn’t show it if he were -- Minho thought it was a very fun way to spend their first meal with this host family. Manuel, while initially shy, soon sidled up to Minho and let him feed him since he was still young enough to need the extra attention. Mateo apologized and offered to take him, but Minho declined the offer. Kids were almost always so much fun to be around, and he didn’t get the opportunity very often. So, even though it was their honeymoon, he didn’t see why he couldn’t savor the fleeting time he’d get to spend with them.

Mateo showed them up to their room after they helped to clear the table. Both of the boys had opted to be carried by Minho and Camila had latched onto Kibum’s hand, dragging him ahead with her dad.

It was a small, cozy room of several cut off from the main floor by a door at the end of the stairwell. Warmth filled the room, both from the shades of red and mustard coloring the walls to the round fireplace carved into the wall. Though there was much complaining, Mateo took the kids away to let them settle into their room for the next few days.

As soon as the door closed behind him, Minho flopped down on the soft-looking bed, pleased that it had lived up to his impression of it. Kibum smiled down at him and let himself be pulled down to settle beside him on the comforter. “What do you want to do right now?” Minho asked as Kibum snuggled closer to him. He shook his head with a half-shrug, and Minho kissed his forehead. “Do you want to go explore Magiabajo? Or Barcelona?”

“I think I want to be lazy right now.”

“So, a nap?”

“Mm.”

Minho smiled, wrapping his arms a little tighter around him. “Sounds good.”

In the days that passed, they occasionally ventured into Barcelona, but most of their time was spent in Magiabajo with Camila, Max, and Manuel. Mateo, with his wife busy at work at the Spanish branch of the Ministry of Magic, had his hands full with upkeep for their inn. And, while he protested at first, both Minho and Kibum reassured him that they were totally fine having the kids show them around. They went exploring with them, the kids showing them their favorite haunts in the catacombs. Spelunking in the cave behind the waterfall, fishing in the river overhead, or just cloud gazing through the flowing water.

The night before they left for Daegu, the residents of Magiabajo were celebrating Dia de Luz Dorada, which meant the air was filled with laughter, shimmering light, and the smell of amazing food. When the dancing began, Kibum grabbed his arm, and instead of leading him out into the fray, he took him over the staircase cut into the wall, taking him up to one of the floating platforms above the town square.

Night had fallen, the stars twinkling in the ripples of the river overhead. Kibum heaved a happy sigh and laid down on one of the blankets laid across the stone. Minho crouched beside him, resting his head on Kibum’s stomach -- he groaned at that, no doubt still full from dinner. His hand was soon in Minho’s hair, playing softly with it.

“I’m gonna miss it here, I think,” he said.

Minho turned his head, glancing up at him. “Me too.” He gulped, looking back at the indigo night sky. “Daegu should be fun, though, too.”

Kibum's hand stilled in Minho’s hair, then he twirled a lock around his finger. “Hopefully. I haven’t been in...what, twenty years? Almost?”

“I guess I can show you around.”

He ruffled Minho’s head as he snorted a quiet laugh. “There’s a thought. You showing me around the city I was born in.”

“It is kinda funny, isn’t it?”

“Mhm.” He sighed again, then started to smooth Minho’s hair again. “You ever wish we lived in Europe again?”

Minho frowned, sitting up. Kibum’s hand fell away, resting on his stomach as he met Minho’s gaze. “What makes you say that?”

“No reason.” Minho squinted at him, and Kibum smirked. “Fine. I just...I don’t know...you ever feel like...like you’ve gone as far as you can with your job? And you want something new? More challenging?”

Minho blinked, glancing around at the dancing shadows from the ongoing festival below. “Yeah, I do.” Returning to Stein’s after his stint on the Quidditch team was a bit…disheartening, to say the least. But what else was there to do? And Kibum, well, he’d had the same job since before he finished college. It wasn’t surprising in the least that he was burnt out, or well on his way to being so. “Do you think you want to switch shows? Go work for..., I’m blanking on the other Broadway shows open right now...”

Kibum sniffed in amusement and pushed himself up, resting his chin on Minho’s shoulder. “I don’t know what I want to do. Still. Like, do I really want to be doing this for the rest of my life? Do you?” Minho shrugged, and Kibum sighed again. “It’s the same show, over and over and over again, with the same problems and...I just…”

“You’ve been wanting a change for a while, right?”

“Maybe. Yeah.” Minho turned his head, meeting Kibum’s eye as he shifted closer to him, wrapping his arms around Minho’s waist. “Maybe we should reconsider what it is we want to do when we get back home.”

“Whatever you decide on, I’ll support you with everything I have.”

Kibum smiled softly, his gaze turning fond before he leaned in to kiss his cheek. “I know.” He cupped his jaw, turning his head slightly so he could kiss him properly. “And same to you, my love.”

“Well, yeah, I’d hope so.”

Laughing, Kibum shoved him away. Minho braced himself with a grin as he looked back at his husband, then leaned back toward him when he did, kissing him when they met again. Kibum guided him to lie back against the platform, the river of stars blanketing them for the night.

* * * * * * * * * *

- November 15, 2018 -

“Damn, we only have three bottles left.”

Kibum stopped brushing his teeth with a small frown, then continued for another few seconds before he spat into the sink. “It’s a good thing we’re not here much longer then.”

“Honestly. At least we’ll be able to say a proper goodbye to the kids and Mateo.”

He rinsed his toothbrush and tossed it back into his bathroom bag with a sigh. Now there was a strange concept: that he’d miss having a bunch of kids around. He’d grown quite fond of Camila and the boys, and now that it was time to leave...well, he’d still have to think about it a little longer.

Kibum looked up when Minho’s head popped into view in the mirror. “Ready?” He nodded with a smile then turned and slipped past him, stuffing his bathroom bag into their traveling bag and digging around for two of the three remaining vials of the Babbling Concoction. He passed one to Minho when he found them, who popped the cork off and clinked it with Kibum’s. He downed it, and Kibum followed suit, wincing and wishing that he had done so before he brushed his teeth.

“Okay, let’s head out.”

Minho held the door open for Kibum to slip out and down the stairwell first, casting one last glance around the bedroom before following him down the narrow staircase. The kids were sitting at the table, Camilla in her dad’s usual seat with Manuel and Max sitting on either side of her so she could help them with their breakfast of freshly squeezed orange juice and pincho de tortilla. Kibum’s mouth started to water at the sight of the now-familiar and very delicious omelet stuffed with spiced potatoes, but neither of them wanted to eat before they were yanked across the world by the portkey.

Both Max and Manuel got up to hug Minho, who immediately crouched down to be on their level. “I’m gonna miss you guys,” he said, his voice slightly muffled.

Kibum smiled, watching the back of Minho’s head until Camilla moved, slipping out of her chair and coming over to him. He opened his arms, letting her hug him goodbye. “Can you thank your dad for letting us stay here?”

She nodded, then looked up at him. “Will you guys come back?”

“Maybe someday. I’d like to.” He smiled again as she turned away, giving Minho a quick hug before she returned to the table, helping Max get back up into his seat.

Kibum grabbed Minho’s hand, dragging him along as he waved goodbye to the kids and leading him out to the lobby. “You got the portkey from Claudia last night, right?” Minho asked as they stepped out into the courtyard of Magiabajo, the jingling bell immediately quieted as soon as the door to Berós Inn closed behind them.

“Yeah, let me find it.”

He dug through their bag as they walked along the mosaic tunnel, finding it at last once they were a few steps away from where they arrived last week. “It would be fun to come here again.”

“Imagine if we vacationed here with Ana and Gil.” Minho’s eyes lit up and he looked back at Kibum with a growing smile. “What, are you surprised? I only have brilliant ideas.”

He squinted, then chuckled, no doubt about to refute that claim, but the bottle that Claudia had made into a portkey for them lit up before he could get a word out. Kibum held it out to him, and Minho took it just in time. The colored light surrounding them swirled around them like water in a drain, replaced in an instant by flecks of white. As soon as their feet hit solid ground, Kibum started to shiver, his eyes wide.

“I wasn’t expecting it to be snowing.”

Minho stepped toward him, holding open the bag and rummaging inside for a moment, producing Kibum’s coat first, and then his own. “What do you want to do first?”

“Eat.”

It took them a few moments to orient themselves, but once they found a restaurant that appealed to them, they were able to get directions to their hotel. That was their next destination, just so they could figure out where it was, given that neither of them had much experience with life in Daegu.

“We should head up to Incheon at some point,” Kibum said as he trailed behind Minho, who was in a hurry to get to their room.

He reached the room, his hand on the knob, and looked back at Kibum. “Should we?”

“Well, we don’t have to. But, who knows when we’ll be able to come back.”

Minho unlocked the door with the card key. “True.” He pushed it open, letting Kibum through first before he followed him inside. Kibum walked into the main room, stopping at the sight of the double beds. Minho walked up behind him, making it a few more steps into the room before he too stopped. “It’s been so long, I’d forgotten double beds were even a thing.”

Kibum sniffed a laugh, shook his head, and grabbed his wand from the bag. “It’s a good thing we know how to fix that, huh?” With a few flicks of it, the nightstand between the beds was lifted and set across the rooms, and the beds were brought together.

“We could have fit into one, babe,” Minho said, throwing him an amused look before he slipped past him to head into the bathroom.

“I mean, yeah, but then where’s the fun in that?” Minho’s head poked out of the bathroom, his eyes wide and bright. “Not right now, though. Didn’t we want to go sightseeing or something?”

Minho sobered with a nod, then slipped back into the bathroom. “Did you want to go visit your dad’s grave first? Or did you want to do that later?”

Kibum leaned against the doorway, watching Minho comb his fingers through his hair. “We can do that now, I think.”

Their eyes met in the mirror, and Minho quickly looked away. “If you’re not up for it right now, we can wait. I just...I know you probably will want to s...to visit him. Eventually.”

“Min, now is fine, don’t worry.” Minho gulped and nodded but still didn’t look up. “You said you always left him some soju when you visited, right? Should we do that again?”

“Yeah, it’s kinda tradition.” He looked up then with a small smile. “There’s a convenience store on the way to the cemetery.”

They got some on the way, as well as three glasses -- “Well, it’d be rude not to share some with him, right?” Minho said when Kibum gave him an amused look when he was picking them out. And, instead of hopping in a cab, they started the short walk from the convenience store to the cemetery.

It had been snowing for a while, and the pathways to the graves had not been shoveled yet. But that didn’t matter. Minho had come here often enough while he lived here to know his way without them, it seemed. Since the cemetery was deserted aside from them, Minho laced his fingers with Kibum’s, bringing his hand up to kiss the back of his hand.

The headstones were all covered with a thick layer of snow, but still, Minho paused before one that protruded from the ground, brushing it off to reveal:

Kim Bumji
1971-2000
A loving husband and father

Kibum’s throat grew tight as Minho stepped back, but he couldn’t tear his gaze away from the words.

Memories flooded his mind. The funeral. The flight back to Korea to bury him at home. Then, the long flight to England so they could live with Grandma.

Kibum blinked, his vision blurring. He barely registered Minho moving around him, not until he took the bottle of soju from his grip. Minho’s hand shook as he set the trio of glasses on the top of the headstone, pouring a bit of the soju into each of them. He took two, handing one to Kibum before he covered his mouth and turned away from the headstone to drink.

Right, that was the rule.

Kibum started to follow his lead, but then the snow shifted, and for a moment, it looked just like his dad. How he remembered him to look, at least. With the too-big glasses and the bright smile that meant he definitely had just been teasing Mom. He blinked, but the image didn’t go away. If anything, it became clearer still.

Dad wasn’t smiling now, though.

Kibum lowered his glass before he had gotten to taste the soju, stepping back from the headstone. To his shock, Dad followed him, floating right through it to be nearer to them.

A ghost...Dad was a ghost…

The tiny glass slipped from his fingers, spilling its contents before it sunk into the snow.

“Kibum, is that you?”

Kibum stepped away again, his eyes wide, and this time, Dad stayed tethered to his spot. He cast a glance toward Minho only to find him watching him, not staring at Dad. It was as if...as if he knew. Kibum’s brow furrowed as he looked between the pair of them. He backed away a few more steps, shaking his head.

“Kibum!” one of them called out, but he had already turned his back and started back the way they had come.

His hands shook as they fisted at his sides, his eyes burning with tears. Footfalls ran after him. Minho, obviously, not his dad. He tried to shake off Minho’s hand when he grabbed his arm but Minho held him fast, pulling him to a stop.

Snow whirled around them as silence swelled and blistered in the air. “You could have said something.”

“He asked me not to.”

Kibum scoffed, turning around, attempting a glare but sure he did not deliver an effective one. “Oh, did he? So you knew all this time, then?” Minho nodded. “Is this why you suggested Daegu in the first place?" Again, he nodded. Kibum pulled his arm out of Minho’s grip, hugging himself. He peeked around Minho, finding his father easily now, despite the camouflage of the wintery air.

“I thought you’d want closure, Bum. I know...I know I should have told you. Years ago. But I promised I wouldn’t.” Kibum didn’t move. He couldn’t look away from Dad. “He’s the one who gave me the money to get back to you.” Kibum blinked, meeting Minho’s pained gaze. “Not Minseok. It was your inheritance or something.” He clenched his jaw to keep his teeth from chattering. Mom had mentioned that some time ago, but he hadn’t thought much of it. “Please, if you’re going to be upset with anyone, be upset with me. Not him.”

Kibum gulped, his throat stinging.

“Do you want me to come with you or would you rather be alone with him for now?” Kibum’s eyes widened and he looked up at Minho again. “Both are fine, or we can just head back to the hotel if you don’t want to do either.”

“I...I can talk to him, I guess. I just…”

“Wasn’t expecting it.”

“Yeah.”

Minho pursed his lips before he drew Kibum into a hug that he didn’t refuse. “I’m sorry. Do you want me to come with you?”

Kibum pulled back a little, then shook his head. “Not right now.”

Nodding, Minho reached out, brushing Kibum’s tears away. “I’ll stay over here, then. Just call me over when you’re ready.” Kibum took a deep breath, nodded, then brushed past him to follow his snowy footprints that led back to his father.

About halfway back, it hit him. Did Mom know about this, too? Had she kept this from him for almost twenty years? He stopped in his tracks, looking away from his dad as he pulled out his phone. Being in no mood to check the time difference, he called her.

She didn't speak right away after picking up. Must be really late for her right now. "H...hello?"

Kibum covered his mouth with his hand, turning away from both Dad and Minho as he whispered, "Did you know about dad?"

She yawned into the phone, bedsprings creaking faintly on her end. "What about your father, hon?"

"That he's living in Korea as a ghost."

"What." She sounded much more alert now. Kibum repeated the statement, and she cleared . "No, I didn't know. I...he…"

Her voice trailed off, and Kibum waited for a few seconds before continuing. "Minho says he's known for years. But Dad made him promise not to say." She hummed noncommittally, clearly distracted. "Is Grandma -- "

"No," she said, cutting off the rest of his question. "She had a fulfilling life. Nothing left unfinished."

Kibum nodded, some of the tension leaving his shoulders. He had known the answer, but of course, he couldn't help but get his hopes up. His sigh clouded around him, and he looked back at Dad when it dissipated. "I should go talk to him."

"You haven't yet?" She sounded incredulous, and Kibum couldn't find his words, so he shook his head. She must have inferred as much from the silence, because her tone was gentler now as she said, "Please, go. You can talk to me anytime you want."

"Okay."

"Love you. And good luck."

"I love you, too."

She hung up before he could, and he slipped his phone reluctantly back into his pocket.

The sky was darkening now as night came on. Which was odd, given that it had just been the morning when they left Spain a few hours ago. After a second of thought, he produced his wand from his coat pocket and lit the way to his father's grave.

He was floating right where Kibum had left him, watching him approach with wide, unblinking eyes. Kibum stopped a few paces away, shoving his free hand in his coat pocket.

It was strange.

Almost like looking in a mirror from an alternate universe.

Of course, he had seen pictures of him, given who Mom was as a person. But they didn't do the real thing -- or, at least, his ghost -- justice. There were some things that were different. The shape of his ears and his chin. Dad's nose was a little thicker, too. But everything else…

"Minho keeps telling me I should get glasses," he said at last. "I think I'll look for some like yours."

Never in his life had he seen a ghost relax so visibly before. It was like he had been holding the breath he didn't have and then let it out all at once. "Do you need them?" he asked, a slight tremor in his voice.

Kibum nodded. "I do a lot of intricate work. Costuming."

"Right, of course." Kibum's voice faltered, and Dad sputtered, explaining, "Minho. He told me."

"Ah." Kibum couldn't help a small smile. And to think, Minho had incessantly when he realized just how much Kibum had talked about him before he arrived in New York.

"I'm sorry, Kibum, I should have...I...Please, don't be upset with Minho. He wanted to tell you, but I -- "

"I know, he told me."

Dad nodded and fell silent.

Kibum cleared his throat and shifted his weight as he glanced Minho's way. Unsurprisingly, he was watching the pair of them intently. . “What...what brings you here?”

He turned back, his head tilting as he met his silvery gaze. “We’re on our honeymoon.” Dad blinked in surprise. “Minho suggested we stop here. Probably because we were already going abroad.”

“Honeymoon…” Kibum nodded. “I don’t know why that surprised me.”

Kibum sniffed a laugh, glancing Minho’s way again before looking back at Dad. “Look, I think...I think this is too much of a surprise for me right now. I think I need a bit of time.”

“Of course. Again, I’m sorry.”

Kibum shook his head with a slight shrug. “We’ll probably be back in the morning, but…”

“Oh, no need to feel pressured to stay. I don’t want you to be uncomfortable with me.”

Uncomfortable wasn’t the right word, but he couldn’t focus on the proper synonym to replace it at the moment. So, Kibum nodded and took a step back. “We’ll be back, Dad.”

He nodded, a touch eagerly, and Kibum turned away from the headstone, struggling to resist the urge to look back. His hand immediately slid into Minho’s when he reached him, grateful for the hint of warmth in the biting cold, and they started back to the hotel. Neither of them said much as they got ready for bed, and as soon as Kibum finished washing his face, he crawled into bed beside Minho, turning off the lights with a swish of his wand.

Darkness settled heavily around them, comfortable in the silence. The tips of Minho’s fingers traced slowly up and down his arm. It tickled, slightly, but not enough to bother him. “So…” Kibum rested his head on Minho’s shoulder instead of his pillow. “You got anything else you’re keeping from me?”

Minho sighed, then chuckled when Kibum snorted. “Not that I can think of right now, but I’ll keep you posted.”

“Hm...I suppose that’ll do. For now.”

“Are you gonna go back?”

Kibum nodded, and Minho relaxed beside him, so Kibum turned to kiss his cheek. “It was just too much for today.”

“Overwhelming?”

“Yes.” Minho rolled onto his side to face him, and Kibum searched the darkness for his silhouette. “Would it have been better for you if I had told you?”

“Maybe. It might have just stressed me out too much to come, you know? It really doesn’t matter now.”

“Are you sure?”

“Love, I probably would have done the same thing as you, if it had been me.” Minho relaxed even more, and Kibum cuddled even closer to him, relishing in his radiating warmth.

After a quick breakfast, they made their way back out into the snow, opting once again to walk instead of taking a cab to the cemetery. At least it wasn’t actively snowing today. They meandered through the snowed-over paths leading them back to Dad.

Oh. They weren’t alone today.

There was someone else sitting on the bench across from Dad’s headstone, a strange, warm flickering light dancing in front between themselves and Dad. Another wizard? Did Dad often get visits from his friends who lived here? It wasn’t until they drew closer and the wizard turned their head that both Kibum and Minho stopped in their tracks.

“Mom?”

“What...When did you get here?”

“Uh,” she glanced at Dad, and he shrugged. “Not sure. Midnight, I think. Would have been sooner if I didn’t have to wait for the approval for a portkey.” Kibum stared blankly at her, glancing between her and Dad. “We’ve just been catching up.”

Minho touched the small of his back before he stepped toward the bench to hug her. Kibum still couldn't move. He couldn't take his eyes off his parents.

His parents.

It was like a dream.

All he ever wanted coming to fruition.

"Sorry," Mom said, looking up at him warily. "I know you probably didn't want me to intrude on your honeymoon, but -- "

"It's fine," he said, his voice tight.

Her wariness melted away to understanding, and she stood, hand outstretched toward him, pulling him to join her and Minho on the bench. Dad backed away so they didn't walk through him, and Kibum sat between Mom and Minho, his heart hammering fast, fit to burst out of his chest.

His family. Together.

His hand shook as he rubbed it over his mouth, finally looking up at Dad.

Minho's hand rested around his waist as he cleared his throat. "You always said you wished you got to show me around Daegu…" Kibum glanced at him, finding him smiling up at Dad, too. "Is now a good time?"

Despite the weather, Dad and Mom took them all over Daegu. To Busan, even. Showing them how they had lived before… Truth be told, Kibum barely even noticed the snow now that he and Mom were reunited with Dad. Their days were spent reminiscing about the years that Dad had missed out on, catching him up to the present, and their nights were filled with exploring the wizarding community of Daegu because it really came alive at night.

It was almost strange seeing his parents together, even if one was a ghost. He had never really remembered what Mom had been like before Dad’s diagnosis, given how young he had been, so her relaxed, carefree manner whenever Dad was around was a bit of a surprise. They were so at ease together, even now. After everything. He couldn’t help but compare himself and Minho to them.

Besides the obvious differences, they were quite similar. Maybe...well, maybe, if the worst happened...it wouldn’t be the end of the world. Being wizards, they were lucky that they could choose to remain, even after death. So, all things considered, maybe starting a family together wasn’t as big of a risk as he had originally thought.

“I almost don’t want to go home tomorrow,” Kibum said, sighing as their hotel room door closed behind them. “It’s been so nice.”

“I know. It’ll be weird to go back.” Minho sat down on the foot of the bed, shedding his snow-flecked coat. “I kinda feel bad for Dad, too. Leaving him here.”

“I think Mom is gonna stay a little while longer.”

“Still.”

Kibum hummed in agreement and grabbed Minho’s coat, hanging it up before he took off his own. “So, I have a question -- and I promise I’m not trying to start a fight.” Minho looked up at him, his eyes wide, his eyebrows contorted in question. “I never really got to ask you before what your reasons for wanting to start a family were, and I’m just curious.”

“Oh.” Minho blinked, relaxing slightly, and averted his gaze. “Uh.” He chuckled and scratched the back of his neck. “I know it’s probably selfish of me, but…”

“It’s okay, babe.”

He smiled but still didn’t look up. “I just miss it. I know it’s dumb of me to say, especially to you -- “

Kibum frowned. “Why especially to me?”

“Because you finally have both of your parents back in your life after so long.” Ah. Kibum sat beside him, turning his way. “But I do miss it. Having a family. Like, Minseok is across the ocean...my parents pretend I don’t exist. It’d just be nice to have a family of my own, you know? In our home. With you. And,” he added quickly, a hand raised placatingly between them when he finally met Kibum’s gaze. “I’m not saying I’m dissatisfied with our life together. Because the exact opposite is true, believe me. I couldn’t be happier.” He sighed heavily, relaxing a little when Kibum started to rub his back. “It’s just, I don’t know... such a nice thought -- raising a family with you.

“But, as I said before, I fully understand why you don’t want to adopt a kid. Or two. Or however many. Just, please, don’t feel like I’m pressuring you, because that’s not my intention at all.”

Kibum smiled, then leaned in for a chaste kiss. “Don’t worry, love, I don’t feel that way. I was just curious, that’s all.”

As they settled into bed for the night, darkness enveloping them, Kibum found that he was still too restless to sleep. Minho, however, was snoring happily beside him, and he was too wrapped up in his warmth to get up. So he lay there, his mind wandering.

He’d still need to think about it. Analecia was right, he needed to be absolutely sure about his feelings towards adoption before he brought it up again. Even asking Minho that might have been a poor decision, given that it might make him get his hopes up again. But he was almost decided, now, he just wanted to ask Dad what he thought about it all.

Kibum snuggled closer to Minho, his eyes eventually drooping closed, sleep sweeping him away. When they woke, they reset the room to how it had been before, made sure they had everything -- especially their shot glass portkey. After they checked out of the hotel, they started for the cemetery one last time, wholly unsurprised to find Mom already there. Once they said their goodbyes, Kibum lingered by Dad while Minho stepped away, throwing him a confused look.

“I just want to ask him something real quick, I won’t be long.”

Minho shook his wrist to look at his watch. “We have to leave in five minutes.”

“Then leave me alone for a second,” he said with a laugh, and Mom linked her arm with Minho, drawing him away so he and Dad could talk.

“What’s wrong, son?”

“Nothing, I…” He tore his gaze away from Minho, meeting Dad’s eyes. “This might be a bit of a heavy question, but…”

“That’s what I’m here for.”

Right. “Did you...or, do you regret having me and dying so young?”

Dad blinked rapidly. “No, of course not. What makes you ask that?”

Merlin’s beard, they definitely didn’t have the time to get into all of that right now. He shook his head, shifting his weight. “Starting a family is a bit of a risk, yeah?” Dad nodded eventually. “Is it worth it?”

Dad pursed his lips, then sighed. “In my experience, I would say yes, it is. Worth it, I mean.” Kibum nodded slowly. “Having you, being a father, was one of the greatest joys in my life. I don’t regret a second of our time together. Only that it was cut so short.”

“Right, yeah.”

“Are the two of you...considering..?”

“Sorta.”

Dad looked quizzical, even curious, but Kibum looked away, glancing over where Minho and Mom were standing. Whispering together. “A parent is only as strong as their partner, and even if I don’t know Minho that well, from what I’ve seen of him, I think you two would make a great team.” Kibum nodded, looking back at his father. Minho being an amazing parent had never been a doubt in his mind.

“You think I would do okay? As a father, I mean?”

"Of course I do.”

“Okay.” His heart settled a bit as he stepped away from Dad. “I should go. I’ll see you again, okay? We’ll come back.”

“With grandkids?”

He grinned, shrugging. “We’ll see.” Maybe. Definitely. The thought wasn’t so terrifying anymore. “I love you, Dad.”

“I love you, too.”

Kibum waved at him before jogging over to meet Mom and Minho. He hugged her goodbye, then took her place on Minho’s arm, looking back at them as Mom started trudging back toward Dad’s grave. He waved again, his ghostly hand barely visible in the snow, and Kibum waved in return before he touched the lit-up shot glass and headed home.

* * * * * * * * * *

- December 27, 2018 -

"Hey…"

Minho squeezed his eyes a little tighter, groaning when Kibum kneed his shoulder.

"Min, I know you're awake."

He shook his head, burying his face in his pillow, earning an exasperated sigh from Kibum. "It's my day off, I can sleep in," he mumbled.

"I know. Sit up."

He opened one eye, finding both Comme Des and Garcons sitting on Kibum's pillow. Comme Des' eyes were fixated behind Minho, but Garcons wagged his tail as Minho started to sit up. He patted his curly little head, turning to look up at Kibum, startled to find him standing there with a tray of food.

"Breakfast?" he asked, unable to keep the incredulity from coloring his voice. "It's not an anniversary, is it?"

Kibum shook his head. "Scoot over."

Their ninth anniversary had been just a few days ago, and that had been...quite memorably celebrated. This could hardly be a continuation of that, could it? Frowning, confused, Minho obeyed, picking up the dogs and setting them further down the bed. "What's this about?"

"Can't I just make you breakfast in bed without interrogation?" he asked as he settled beside Minho, smiling down at the food when Minho leaned over to kiss his cheek.

"I mean, you could, but where's the fun in that?" Kibum sniffed a laugh, shaking his head a little. Minho's brow pinched in, and he glanced over at Kibum as he reached for his coffee. "What's up?"

He sighed. "There's...something I think we should discuss."

"Divorcing me already?" Minho asked, sipping his coffee with a smile. "Finally tired of me?"

"Something like that." Minho blinked, and Kibum laughed dismissively. "No, I'm kidding, babe. I...I've just been thinking…" Minho set his coffee aside, shooing Comme Des away from sniffing it before he turned his full attention to Kibum. "Are you…" He cleared his throat. "Are you still open to the idea of adopting?"

Minho stared at him, ears ringing, eyes unfocused as an excited chill washed over him. "What?" Kibum repeated his question, and Minho came to. "Are you serious?" Kibum nodded, finally meeting Minho's gaze, and Minho leaned back, the wall and Kibum's pillows catching him. "What...what changed your mind?" Kibum opened his mouth, starting to speak, but Minho plowed on without a thought. "I haven't influenced your decision, have I? You're not just doing this for me, are you?"

"What, and break a promise to you?" He scoffed, half shrugging. "I seem to recall you saying that was legally binding."

Minho laughed half-heartedly. Distractedly. "What changed your mind?" he asked again, unable to stop himself.

"Nothing in particular. I just...thought about it more, I guess."

He was very aware of his blinking, now. Of the way his heart beat violently in his chest. "Are you sure?" Kibum nodded again, offering Minho a small smile. He relaxed a little. "Yes. Yes, I am very open to the idea."

“I think, then...come the new year...we should start looking into it, then.”