Break the Mold

By My Side

Dear Minho,

Your father and I have decided to attend your next Quidditch game. The one in February. Please let us know what we need to do on our end. We're really interested to finally get to see your school.

In other news, Minseok -- 

Minho set down the letter, gulping hard as he looked down at his English breakfast. He'd have to wait to hear what was new with Minseok, because right now...right now he wouldn't be able to focus on anything else.

His parents...Dad...They were coming to Hogwarts.

.

"Are you okay?" Someone across the table asked, their voice sounding like they were underwater. He couldn't tell who it was.

How does one remember to take breaths? It's just supposed to happen, right? 

"Go get Kibum," another person said.

Footsteps echoed weakly in Minho's mind as he focused on taking a breath in. Why would his parents choose to show any interest in his magic now? What changed? Why would Dad, of all people, want to come --

A familiar hand gripped his shoulder, pulling him away from his cascade of anxious thoughts. Minho turned to look at a very worried Kibum and passed him the letter. He, too, only read the first few lines before he looked back at Minho.

"What do you need?"

"Air."

Kibum patted his shoulder as he stood, and the concerned Hufflepuffs who noticed Minho's distress parted so that he could pass. Instinctively, Minho followed him. Kibum stopped at the threshold of the Great Hall, turning to wait for Minho to reach his side. He nodded toward the open garden door, and Minho followed his lead outside.

The cold air was a shock to his system, enough of one for him to be able to take deeper breaths. He stopped in his tracks, his breath forming a sort of white cloud around him, until Kibum's hand touched his side, guiding him away from the castle.

Neither of them were dressed warmly enough to be out in the snow, nevermind that none was falling. But, neither seemed to care.

Kibum led him down to the pitch, to the hallway where Hufflepuff's locker room was, and went inside. Minho thought he was going to stop to be let into the locker room, but he kept walking to the broom cupboard and turned to face Minho, leaning against the wall.

Flying.

Of course. That would be the best thing right now.

Breathing came a little easier as Minho drew nearer to the broom cupboard, all the pent up tension in his chest starting to release as he pressed on the right board to open it up. He grabbed his Clean Sweep and started for the pitch, shakily mounting it and zooming off into the chilly January air.

It was a welcome reprieve, to be flying. There was something so healing about the way the wind roared around him as he picked up speed. It blew all of his anxious thoughts away. After his third lap, he stopped by the far goalposts, hovering there before he scooted off his broom and sat on the snow-capped ring.

So, Dad was coming to Hogwarts. What he needed to do now, rather than have a panic attack, was to relax. O'Neely would know just what to do. Maybe it wasn't even possible and...oh , if it weren't and he asked and they agreed to come… He rubbed his hand over his eyes, heaving a heavy sigh.

He pinched the bridge of his nose before he pulled his hand away, finding Kibum easily in the sea of untouched snow. Well, formerly untouched. Minho smiled as he watched Kibum pace back and forth in the snow. He should go back soon; relieve Kibum's mind.

One more lap, though. He needed to carry the memory of the wind buffeting him for the rest of the day.

Minho stopped a meter away from Kibum, and the gust that was chasing him ruffled Kibum's hair as he stepped up to him. "Feel any better?"

"Yeah." He clapped his hand on Kibum's shoulder, giving it a gentle squeeze. "Thank you."

Kibum smiled at him for a second before his expression shifted back to worried as Minho started for the hallway. "What are you thinking?"

"That I need to go talk to O'Neely."

"That's what I was thinking, too."

"Well," Minho said, setting his Clean Sweep up on its hook. "You know what they say: Great minds think alike."

"Yeah, but fools rarely differ." Minho sputtered as he closed the cupboard door and Kibum chuckled.

"Is that how the saying ends?"

Kibum rolled his eyes as he grabbed Minho's arm, tugging him toward the castle. "Come on, let's go see if O'Neely is available."

“Do you have to stay late with Slughorn again?” Minho asked as they started across the lawn, their footsteps crunching in the snow.

“I’ll ask him after we get out of Potions.”

“Probably will.” Minho looked over at him for a second, smiling when he saw his dimples. “Being that you’re his star pupil and all, he probably wants to make sure you’re as prepared as possible.”

Kibum shook his head, pursing his lips to keep from smiling. “Shut up.”

“What if he’s just training you to take over for him when he dies or retires? Whichever comes first, of course.”

“Merlin’s beard…” Minho laughed and darted away as Kibum tried to shove his shoulder. “Get back here!” He called after him as Minho started jogging back to the castle. “You can’t just say ridiculous like that and not expect retaliation!”

Minho turned around, still walking away from Kibum. “Why do you think I ran?”

Kibum stopped walking, heaving a dramatic sigh as he let his head loll to the side. Minho stopped walking, and they stared at each other for a second before he started back through the snow to where Kibum was. Kibum just shook his head as he started to walk again when Minho drew nearer. “You’re so dumb.”

“Oh, I know.”

It was almost time for second period by the time they reached the castle. The corridors were filled with students going this way and that, changing classes or heading to their Houses for a free period. Minho and Kibum fought against the current, heading upstairs to the third floor. He peeked into Classroom 3A and. when he found it empty, he strode inside with Kibum right behind him and made his way up the little flight of stairs to O’Neely’s office.

He rapped a few times on the door before he heard a quiet “Come in.” O’Neely looked up from a pile of scrolls on his desk, his eyebrows raising as Minho and Kibum came in. “How can I help you two?”

“Just me, actually.”

O’Neely’s gaze darted to Kibum as they both sat down in the armchairs opposite to him, then he returned his attention to Minho. “What can I do for you?”

“Uh, well, I asked my parents a few months back if they’d like to come to one of my games, and, um, they didn’t get back to me about it until today. They want to come, but now I’m not sure if it’s possible.”

“It is, but -- “ The bell rang, cutting O’Neely off. “But it’s a tad complicated and I don’t have time before class starts. Would you mind joining me up here for lunch so we can discuss it? You’re welcome to come as well, Mr. Kim.”

“Thanks, I will.”

Minho gave him a little bow as he stood. “Sounds good, Professor. We’ll see you then.”

The Defence classroom was starting to fill up as Minho opened the door, and he froze, staring out at the other Hufflepuffs and Ravenclaws who were watching him curiously. Kibum lightly pushed on his back to get him to move, and he closed the door behind him as Minho started down the steps. Sam grinned up at him as he passed her desk, and he smiled back at her before he slipped out of Classroom 3A.

They parted ways at the corner, and Minho hurried down the torch-lit hallway to let himself into Hufflepuff. He grabbed his Potions textbook before he fell into bed. Looking up, he pressed one of the glow-in-the-dark stars back into the ceiling of his bunk, since it looked like it was going to fall. And, when his gaze landed on the Boötes constellation, he instinctively felt for his pendant, his thumb brushing over the tiny diamonds making up the stars.

“You good, mate?”

Minho tore his eyes away from the stars and looked over at Gil, who was sitting cross-legged on his bed, facing him. Right, he hadn’t seen him since his panic attack at breakfast. He slipped the pendant back under his shirt as he sat up. “I’m better, yeah. Sorry if I freaked you out.”

“It’s okay...Who wrote to you?”

“My mom.” His brow furrowed in what was probably confusion, and he looked like he wanted to ask about why that would be such a terrible thing, but he didn’t. And, as much as he appreciated that, Minho said, “I wrote to her a while back asking if they would want to come to one of the games, and she just wrote back to say that they would like to come.”

“...And that’s a bad thing?”

Minho squinted, trying to think of the right words. “Not necessarily, but I don’t see it going well.”

“...Because they’re Muggles?”

“I guess, yeah.”

“Don’t worry about it, I’m sure it’ll be okay!” Minho blinked at him. “They’ll probably come away thinking magic is amazing!”

Not that there was ever any way for him to have done so, it was painfully clear that Gil knew nothing about Dad. “Let’s hope so,” Minho said, chuckling. If only Minseok could come along, then things would probably go a bit more smoothly.

Damn him for being in Korea and in the army.

By the time the bell rang for the third period, Minho was already waiting outside Slytherin for Kibum and the other sixth years to show. When they did, they all walked to Potions together. Kibum did hang back for a minute to ask Slughorn if he was supposed to stay after Alchemy before they started for O'Neely's office again.

"Well?"

"Yeah, I do."

"Might as well study after we get done with O'Neely, then. Who knows how late he'll keep you this time."

Kibum scoffed as they hurried up the moving staircase before it changed. "Just because we forgot about dinner last time -- "

"How can you forget about dinner? Weren't you hungry?"

"Relax, I didn't even notice until I went to bed."

Minho shook his head in incredulity as he pushed open the door to Classroom 3A. "I can't even imagine…"

"If Potions was as strenuous an activity as Flying, then I'm sure I would have noticed sooner."

"Damn right you would have."

Kibum laughed out loud as he knocked on O'Neely's office door. "Come in," Professor Chanin said, and they both perked up at the sound of her voice. "Long time, no see, Mr. Kim," she said, her voice warm as he and Kibum tentatively came in.

Kibum gave her a tiny bow. "Yes, Professor. Hello."

"I hope this year is treating you well so far?" Minho wasn't sure if she meant the school year or the new year. Regardless, Kibum nodded. Smiling, she turned to her husband. "I'll see you later, then."

O'Neely's expression brightened. "I look forward to it, Abs."

She pushed away from his desk, the legs of her sky blue pantsuit peeking out of the part of her dark robes as she walked toward the door. Minho and Kibum stepped away from the door to let her pass, all three watching her until the door was closed.

Minho looked back at O'Neely first, who didn't snap out of his dazed expression for another couple of seconds. "Sit, sit, please!" They both hurried to obey him, taking the same armchairs that they had a few hours previous as O'Neely set a plate in front of each of them. He snapped his fingers, a bread bowl of what looked like potato soup appeared with a spoon. "Go ahead and eat while you explain everything."

The soup was a bit too hot to eat immediately, which Minho found out by burning the roof of his mouth. He set his spoon aside as he reached into his pocket for the letter and launched into the whole story. Well, not the whole story, just what was relevant. Kibum interjected a bit when Minho trailed off from the point, always bringing him back to what he originally wanted to say.

"I see," O'Neely said once Minho fell silent. "Well, we'll have to clear it with the Headmistress, but it should be possible. Muggle parents are invited to come to graduation, but we do wipe their memories once they return to King's Cross."

Minho frowned. "Why?"

"Oh, for both of our safety." Minho's frown deepened, and O'Neely smiled. "It protects us because it doesn't infringe on the International Statute of Secrecy, and it protects them from trying to make their way out here or into our world unaccompanied. Even though...V-Voldemort is gone, it doesn't mean that all dark wizards are."

"Ah…"

"That makes sense," Kibum said, glancing over at Minho. "When can we see the Headmistress?"

"This afternoon, probably. You two don't have any classes after this?"

"Just Alchemy and Advanced Flying," Minho said.

"And those are both in the final period."

"Well, I know she's in a meeting with Kingsley Shacklebolt, but -- "

He reached for a notebook on his desk, flipping through it. Minho looked over at Kibum, his eyebrows raising in question. "Minister for Magic," he mouthed, and Minho nodded, returning his attention to O'Neely.

" -- But, she should be finished soon. I can write and tell her to expect you?"

"You're not coming with?" Minho asked, his voice smaller than he would have liked.

O'Neely smiled kindly as he pulled out a small, thin notebook and took up a quill. "No, sorry. I have class after this. I promise, she doesn't bite," he added before he started to write.

"I can come with, buddy, don't worry."

"No, I know…" Just, the thought of meeting the Headmistress without a teacher...Minho shivered as a chill ran down his spine.

O'Neely set down his quill with a flourish of the feather, his eyes darting to the notebook. "She's almost done with her meeting, if you would like to simply wait up there?"

"Yes, sir," Minho said, starting to stand.

"But, by all means, finish eating first."

"Now who's forgetting a meal?" Kibum muttered under his breath in Korean just as Minho was about to take a bite of his soup. Lucky that he hadn't because he started to laugh. O'Neely's curious glance was enough to sober him up to eat about half of the soup and bowl before the bell rang.

Minho took another couple of hurried spoonfuls as Kibum got up to head out, and he ripped off another chunk of bread before he followed him.

The meeting with McGonagall went well. She said that it was unusual but not unprecedented for Muggle parents to want to attend a Quidditch game. "I'll be sure to write and explain in detail how to arrive at the platform."

"How -- " Minho started to ask, but she continued.

"They will have a guide to get them through to the platform and the pitch."

"Oh, I can meet them in Hogsmeade."

"Very well," she said, and her eyebrow rose ever so slightly. Minho shrank back into his seat, folding his hands in his lap.

"The same guide will ensure that they leave the platform safely and make sure to wipe their memories once they've returned to the Muggle world."

Kibum cleared his throat. "Headmistress?" She looked his way. "Would it be possible for the guide to be Korean? It might help things go more smoothly."

She looked over at Minho, who nodded emphatically. "I'll see what I can do."

The days until the game dragged by, each one more torturous than the last. When it finally came, the sky was heavy with clouds that looked like they were threatening snow. Minho pulled his coat tighter around him as the breeze picked up. He tore his eyes from the foreboding skies and back to the Hogwarts Express and its slow progression across the countryside.

It inched nearer, each minute seemed like an hour, until it came to a stop beside the platform. Minho shivered as he walked through the exhaust, the white-gray plumes dissipating to reveal Dad stepping down onto the platform.

Gulping, Minho forced a smile. "Hi, Dad."

Surprisingly, he smiled warmly at him, pulling him into a hug as Mom joined them on the platform. "Hello, son," he said, ruffling Minho's hair before he let him go.

Minho bent down a bit to hug Mom, and she fixed his hair and kissed his cheek before she let him go completely. "How has school been going?"

Minho was about to answer her when he heard some cheering back at the pitch. . "The, uh, game is set to start soon."

"Okay." Minho stared at them, and they stared back. Why weren't they moving? "Aren't...aren't you going to lead us there?"

Oh. Right. Duh. He was the one who knew where to go and what to do in this situation. "Um, this way."

"I'll be in the Three Broomsticks when you're ready!" someone Minho didn't recognize said behind them, but he was too flustered to notice exactly who they were.

Dad kept looking back while Mom looked around at the village as Minho lead them to the waiting carriage. "Why isn't Jihoon coming with us?" he asked.

Minho didn't know who that was so he had no answer. Instead, once he helped them both up into the carriage, he sat across from them, and the carriage jerked forward. Mom started, pressing her hand to her chest as she looked around for the thestral that none of them could see.

"Is this -- "

"Magic, yeah."

Her eyes stayed blown wide, even more so when Minho pulled out his wand and conjured a flame to warm them all on the drive to the pitch. Be tried to keep a conversation going, but his nerves and his parents' shocked and curious expressions at the minimal displays of magic were distracting enough to quell any talking on the short ride through the snow.

Kibum was waiting for them outside the hallway, the sight of which both warmed his heart and sent worry coursing through his veins. He had just condemned Kibum to having a terrible day from having to interact with his father all day. He'd have to make it up to him later.

Somehow.

As they drew nearer, Minho met Kibum's gaze and held it, attempting to apologize telepathically. Kibum's smile was slightly reassuring as the carriage came to a stop before him.

Dad's expression was not.

"Min, you've gotta hurry. They're waiting for you," he said before Minho could even stand.

.

"Sorry, I'll see you guys later, okay?"

Mom smiled at him and Dad nodded. Minho's eyes flicked to meet Kibum's once more before he hopped off the carriage and ran through the snow toward the pitch.

* * * * * * * * * *

“Do you want me to go with you?” Kibum asked, looking down at Minho, whose head was firmly planted on his desk in the captain’s office. He had just found out that, on top of everything else happening today, Sam had come down with pneumonia and wouldn’t be able to play today. Gil had just left to go gear up to be the Seeker for the day in her place, and all Minho had left to do before the game was head down to Hogsmeade to pick up his parents.

Minho shook his head slowly without lifting it from the desk.

“Are you sure?” He let out a groan, and Kibum offered him a sympathetic smile that he didn’t see as he the back of his head. “It’s gonna be okay. They’re just here for one afternoon.”

“And dinner.”

“Right, dinner, too.” Kibum gulped. He wasn’t looking forward to that.

Minho sat up then, sighing as he met Kibum’s gaze. “I just hope it’s a good game.”

“Just try not to think about it too much, okay? Try to stay focused. You can freak out later.”

Minho frowned as he chuckled. “I’ll try.”

“You’ll feel better when you’re in the air.”

He nodded, meeting Kibum’s eyes again. “Will you be okay?”

“Don’t worry about me.” He gave him a look that said Try and stop me but before he could say anything, Kibum added, “Don’t they arrive soon?”

“, yeah, I should go.”

Kibum followed him out, passing the others as they were gearing up for the game. None of the other Hufflepuffs seemed to notice or care that Kibum was in there, which really didn’t come as a surprise. As Minho hopped into the thestral-drawn carriage, Kibum shoved his hands into the hoodie he borrowed from Minho, smiling and nodding at him as the thestral started for Hogsmeade.

The air became a little bit chillier as the bell for the Hogwarts Express chimed in the distance. Kibum hugged himself, watching the edge of the Forbidden Forest for an eventual glimpse of the carriage again. When it finally rounded the corner, Kibum stood up a little straighter, steeling himself for the arrival of Minho’s dad. Once the carriage drew near enough for Kibum to see Minho’s slightly pained yet panicked expression, he smiled at him. Right, no outbursts or fights with Mr. Choi, no matter what. He couldn’t do that to Minho today.

He opened the door to the carriage before Minho could stand. "Min, you've gotta hurry. They're waiting for you.”

He worried his bottom lip before he turned to his parents. “Sorry, I’ll see you guys later, okay?” Then, after looking back at Kibum, he darted for the pitch, leaving Kibum alone with the Choi's.

Kibum tore his gaze away when Minho ducked into the corridor that led to the locker rooms and looked up at the carriage. He bowed stiffly. “It’s good to see you again.”

Mr. Choi ignored him, instead stepping down into the snow to help his wife off the carriage. “Where are we supposed to go, Kibum?” Mrs. Choi asked, her voice strained but kind.

“Follow me, please.” He turned to lead them to the pitch, only to glance over his shoulder to ask, “I hope you’ve been well?”

Mrs. Choi said after she looked up at her husband, who was making it very clear that he was pretending that Kibum didn’t exist. “We have, yes.”

Kibum nodded, smiling tensely as he nodded up the stairwell that led to his favorite spot. “We’ve got a bit of a walk to get to the visitors’ stands, I’m sorry to say.”

“I’m sure we’ll be fine.”

He huffed, trying not to laugh as he started up the stairs. He glanced at the rowdy students, most of whom quieted a bit as Mr. and Mrs. Choi inspected them with wide eyes. Kibum caught Analecia’s eye, and she glanced between him and Minho’s parents curiously. She’d probably ask him about them later. He walked on to the next stairwell, then the next and the next, rounding the pitch to head to the stands on the opposite end of the pitch, above where Hooch’s concealed office was. Kibum stopped when he spotted a flash of mustard yellow in the snow, pointing down to the pitch.

“There he is. Choi, 10.”

“Yes, we can read, Kibum,” Mr. Choi finally said. Kibum’s gaze flicked off into the distance, squinting at the far goalposts. Be the bigger person, he told himself, and he gritted his teeth as he walked on.

“Why are they carrying brooms?” Mrs. Choi asked, but the question was soon answered as all except the captains took to the air.

Cheering erupted around them as the Hufflepuffs soared past, and Kibum looked over at them, relishing in their shock. Maybe today would be the day that they realized Minho was worth their time and attention. “We won’t get good seats if we don’t hurry,” he said, drawing them away from the banister and pressing on, though slower now.

They made it to the stands by the time Hooch flipped the galleon between Minho and Damien. Mrs. Choi sat next to Professor Sprout, who was deep in conversation with Professor Crowell, and Mr. Choi beside her, leaving a space between him and Professor Slughorn. If he sat beside him, then he’d never be able to explain anything that was happening in the game, because Slughorn would want to go on and on about the upcoming competition.

He pointed between them, his eyebrows raising in question. “If you want me to answer questions while the game is going, I could sit between you?”

Instead of replying, Mr. Choi gradually scooted over to allow Kibum to sit. He rubbed his hands together as he looked out at the pitch, reorienting himself, since he usually sat on the opposite side. Hufflepuff would be on the left, not right today -- got it.

“What’s happening now?”

“Hooch is checking the rosters to see if -- “

“To see if the captain gave her the right line up for the day,” Mr. Choi finished for him.

Kibum fisted his hands together in his lap as he watched Minho fly up to the center of the pitch alongside Damien. “With all...due respect, sir, I know there are a lot of similarities between football and Quidditch, but that doesn’t mean you understand this game.”

“Wasn’t I right?”

“That’s beside the point.” The whistle blew, and Kibum’s attention locked onto Minho as the Quaffle was thrown. He let out a relieved sigh when Minho caught it. Maybe his game wouldn’t be too thrown off, after all.

“So,” Mrs. Choi started to say as she watched Minho fly, clustered by yellow and burgundy robes. “What’s the point of this game?”

Kibum explained it as best he could, and he was honestly surprised by the amount of knowledge he had. Maybe he really had been listening when he tuned out Minho, Aaron, and Callum’s long conversations about the sport. He also explained what happened in real-time -- why Minho had to throw a penalty, how that was a foul, yes, it is strange that bats are involved in the game, but let’s not talk about that right now. He was just explaining the purpose of the Snitch and Minho flew past them, shouting directions at his team.

Hufflepuff was up 60-0, an impressive lead that would have probably been 210-0 by now if Sam weren’t sick. He glanced up at Gil, who even from this distance, Kibum could tell that he was anxious.

Join the club.

The score climbed as the game progressed, stretching on and on until the sun started to set into the forest behind them and cast swathes of pink and gold across the sky. O’Neely muttered behind him, “Maybe Hooch forgot to release the Snitch?”

Kibum and Professor Chanin chuckled, and Kibum turned around to look up at him. “Has that happened before?”

“Once, but it was back when we were still in school.”

Chanin nodded. “She didn’t today, though, I saw it earlier.”

The score, when Kibum turned back around, was 220-60, in Hufflepuff’s favor. Both of Minho’s parents were on the edge of their seat now, watching Minho play. He was the only one on Hufflepuff who hadn’t switched out with a substitute during a time out. Kibum could only imagine how exhausted he would be tonight. Kibum scooted forward himself, wincing when he almost fumbled the Quaffle.

Then, high above them all, Gryffindor’s Seeker went into a dive. Kibum, forgetting where he was for the moment, jumped out of his seat. “Gil!” he yelled, shocking the teachers around him. “The Snitch!”

But he was too far away. Too engrossed in the game playing out below him to notice. Minho did, though, by the looks of it. He passed the Quaffle to Odette as she flew past him to make another goal and he shot up to yell at Gil. Then, he noticed, and darted forward, but it was too late.

The other Seeker was lying on the ground, Snitch probably in his hand.

Below, Hooch blew the whistle, and the players came to a stop just as Odette threw the Quaffle through the highest goal.

“220-210!” Hooch’s magically enhanced voice boomed across the pitch. “Hufflepuff wins!”

A roar went up around the stadium, all but from the Gryffindors, if he had to guess. But, even then, they could be just as exhausted as the rest of them and just ready for the game to be over. Above it all, Kibum could hear Minho’s hollering in the air. Smiling, he sat back between the Choi’s, smugly satisfied at how good of a game that was for Minho. As everyone else was starting to disperse, Minho flew over to the banister, his face covered in a sheen of sweat, despite the chill, and his eyes bright.

“What’d you think?”

Kibum glanced over at Mr. Choi, silently daring him to say anything negative about Minho’s impressive performance. “That was...truly amazing,” he said, and Mrs. Choi nodded.

He beamed at them. “I just need to shower really quick and we can head to dinner.”

“We’ll meet you down there?” Kibum asked when Minho’s eyes finally landed on him.

“Sounds good.” He grinned broadly at his parents again before he flew away to the locker rooms.

* * * * * * * * * *

The was nearly dark by the time Minho reached the gardens and started to jog toward the flickering lights of Hogsmeade. It had taken quite longer than he had anticipated, given that the second he arrived in the common room, the team and the others wanted to celebrate dinner. He had gotten so caught up in it all that he hadn’t noticed the time until he was finally able to slip away to head to his bedroom to change. Then, he noticed the night creeping in, and he hurried to change into one of his ManU hoodies and a clean pair of jeans before he started for the door.

He’d left Kibum alone with his parents for too long.

Hopefully neither of them had killed the other, by now.

Minho slowed to catch his breath by the time he reached the main street before he started for the Three Broomsticks. He found them easily. All three were sitting in the main room close to the roaring fire, laughing at something Mom was saying. That was...unexpected, to be sure. He took the empty seat beside Kibum, and they turned to him.

“Took you long enough,” Kibum said, smiling. Genuinely smiling. “I don’t mind, though. Your mom has been telling me stories about you when you were a kid.”

“Oh god.” Minho made to stand, bowing to them all. “I’ll just go then.”

Dad, of all people, chuckled at his joke. “We already ordered for you, so you might as well stay.”

Minho settled back in his seat, sparing a quick, inquisitive glance at Kibum before he looked back at Mom and Dad. “So, yeah, today wasn’t a normal game. Usually they’re a bit quicker.”

“Yeah, seven hours was a bit much.”

“Seven?” Minho looked at Kibum again, his eyes wide. He nodded. “I’ll sleep well tonight, that’s for sure.”

“I wish you had told us that you would be flying, honey,” Mom said, looking up at Rosmerta as she topped off her water and set a pumpkin juice in front of Minho.

“Thanks,” he said to Rosmerta before she left. “I thought I did mention it when I first told you guys about the game?”

“I don’t remember. It was quite a shock to see you in the air like that.”

“When did you get to be so good at flying?” Dad asked, taking a tentative sip of his water, as if he thought the glass might be enchanted.

Minho blinked. “I mean, I’ve been doing it for almost six years now.” Kibum coughed into his butterbeer, but that went unnoticed by Mom and Dad. “I kinda have to be. And I’m taking the Advanced Flying class this year, which helps a little, too.” Kibum pinched Minho’s thigh under the table and Minho bit the inside of his cheek to keep from laughing.

By the time the food arrived, everyone seemed to be more relaxed. The pheasant and all the fixings were warm and filling and satisfying, and if Minho were anywhere else, he probably would have crashed right then and there. But soon, they were back out in the cold night, walking back to the platform. Jihoon met them there, but quickly headed back inside when Mom and Dad turned to say goodnight and goodbye. Kibum lingered a little ways away, giving them a bit of privacy.

Minho hugged them both, Dad then Mom and then Dad again. “You know,” Dad said, quietly enough that only Minho heard him as he pulled away. “This magic business isn’t as bad as I thought.” Minho met his dark eyes, which were glittering in the light of the lanterns. He looked over Minho’s shoulder, nodding at Kibum. “And neither is he.” Minho’s eyebrows shot up as he looked away from Kibum. “If he wants, he’s welcome to come back to our home during the summer.”

“I’ll tell him,” Minho said, his voice soft with awe. “Thanks, Dad.”

Minho watched the Hogwarts Express as it pulled away, waving goodbye to his parents as Kibum stepped up beside him. He rested his chin on Minho’s shoulder as he also watched the train. “Well, that went better than I expected.”

“Me too. I hope they didn’t stress you out,” Minho said as he looked over at him, their noses almost brushing.

Kibum lifted his chin and moved away from him, starting down the steps. “At first they did, a bit, but it got better once the game started.”

“Good.” Minho fell into step beside him, glancing his way again. “Dad said you can come over during the summer, if you want.” Kibum stopped walking and Minho continued a few steps before he stopped and looked back at him. “Yeah, seriously.”

“When?”

“Just,” he gestured back at the platform. “When he was saying goodbye.”

“I,” he drew out the word as he caught up to Minho. “I wasn’t expecting that.”

“Me neither, but I’m not mad about it.”

“Same.” Their footsteps crunched in the icy snow. “It was kinda fun sneaking around last summer, though.”

Minho laughed and it echoed back to them in the empty street. They walked along, their shoulders bumping together with every other step. Happiness bubbled up inside him. His dad was coming around to the idea of magic. Kibum could come back over during the summers. And on top of everything else, Hufflepuff won the game again today.

He let out a sigh as he slipped his arm over Kibum’s shoulder, squeezing him a bit closer with a grin when Kibum’s hand found his waist.

Everything was just perfect, and in this moment, he couldn’t be happier.

About halfway back, the snow that the clouds seemed to be promising earlier finally started to fall. They hurried back to the castle, eager to go back to their dorm rooms to warm up and sleep off the stressful day.

“Remember, the apparition class got pushed to tomorrow because your game went too long.”

“Not my fault,” Minho said, giving Kibum finger guns as he walked backwards down the corridor toward Slytherin.

“Whatever. Just don’t sleep too long!”

“Night!”

“Goodnight!”

Minho smiled as he turned away and headed toward the barrels, feeling around for his wand, only… “Goddammit,” he muttered, sitting against the barrel that was laying on its side. Of course he forgot his wand in his rush to go to dinner with his parents. Before he could feel too down on his luck, however, Gil came around the corner from the Slytherin side of the basement.

“You’re back!”

“What were you doing over there?” Minho asked as he drew nearer.

“Hanging out with Ana. It is Valentine’s Day, after all.” Right. He looked past Gil to the empty hallway. He had completely forgotten. Not that it mattered, of course… “Feeling any better, mate?”

“Uh, yeah, actually. Dinner went surprisingly well.”

Gil got his wand out of his pocket, tapping the sequence to get in. “Good, I’m glad.”

Minho followed him through the tunnel and into the practically empty common room. All of the younger students had already gone to bed, given that it was past lights out, but a few of the older were still up. The couples, it looked like. All off in their own little world. He averted his eyes as he passed by to his dorm room, his shoulders slumping a little.

So, Dad accepted the magic. And that was good, but would he, could he, ever accept that...that he was gay?

Could he accept that?

He changed quietly and slipped into bed, but, even with as tired as he was, he couldn’t relax enough to sleep. As he stared at the stars, they became less distinct, more a bright greenish haze above his bed. It wasn’t a question as to whether he could ever be...be drawn to a woman. He knew the answer to that already. It was more, well, he wasn’t quite sure.

In his limited experience, he knew that he wasn’t seen as a good thing, to be the way he was. He heard the jokes all his life, noticed the disgust painted on the faces of friends and family alike. Seen the reaction for people like him, just...existing. He’d have to be blind not to, anyone would.

Was it worth the risk? Losing his family just to be happy? To be free?

Minho sat up, looking around at the darkened room. Well, everything being perfect didn’t last very long, did it? He smiled ruefully as he slipped out of bed and made his way toward the door. The common room was dark, too, except for the flickering embers in the fireplace. Everyone else was all in bed now, so he could have free reign on the common room, if he wanted, but…

A bit of privacy would be nice.

He hopped out of the tunnel leading to the dorms and went over to the bookshelf, squinting until he found The Hobbit. Pulling it out, he stepped back to let the bookshelf open up to reveal the staircase to the loft. Minho replaced the book and hurried up the stairs.

It was still snowing by the time Minho reached the balcony. If he had been wearing his shoes, he’d go out into it, clear his mind with a few deep breaths. But instead, he hugged himself tight as he looked out over the snow.

Would it even be possible for Dad to come around to the idea of him and Kibum, as a couple? Or any man...but, really, Kibum. Maybe his opinion on Sooyoung had changed since he had been away. Seemed impossible, but then he never even dreamed that Dad would change his mind about magic.

Behind him, one of the stairs creaked, and Minho tensed as he turned to watch the doorway, where a moonlit shadow passed through. “Oh, it’s just you.”

“Wow,” Gil said, a smirk in his voice. “Thanks a lot, mate.”

Minho looked back outside. “You know what I mean.” Gil stepped up beside him, rubbing some warmth into his arms. “What are you up for?”

“To use the loo, but then I noticed that you weren’t in bed.” He felt the weight of Gil’s gaze on him after a couple of seconds. “Are you sure you’re good?”

Minho chuckled and shrugged. “I guess not, huh?”

“Do you need to talk about it?” Minho’s eyebrows rose as he looked over at him, and Gil raised his hands. “I know I’m no Kibum, but, I can still try to help.”

“True.” Minho watched the snow for a few minutes more as he gathered his thoughts. “Do you ever wonder or even worry that you’re not gonna turn out to be the man your parents thought you were?”

“Sorta. Did they say something today?”

“Not really. Things got a bit better between us, actually…”

“That’s good.” Minho nodded, humming his assent. “Sorry if this is insensitive, but is it because they’re Muggles?”

Minho let out a quiet laugh. “That’s part of it, but no. What I mean is -- “ How should he word this? “Like, what if you didn’t think they’d accept a part of you...that you, um, couldn’t change? Should you just try to figure out a way to be what they want you to be or, or...or accept that you’re not going to see eye-to-eye on this and that that’s okay and try to be happy? Without their blessing?”

“Do you need their blessing?”

Minho leaned against the threshold, sighing. “I want to say no, but…”

“No, I know. It’s hard. I guess, well, I’m going through something similar.”

He looked over at him. “Oh?”

“Yeah, uh, my parents don’t really like Ana.” Minho gave him an incredulous look. “I know, right? Who wouldn’t like her, she’s amazing… But, like, because she's not fully British, they seem to think that she's like a…"

"A what?"

"I don't like saying the word."

"Oh." A Mudblood. Like what Damien used to call him.

"All because her mom is a Muggle from Spain." He shook his head, probably rolling his eyes. "We've gotten into loads of rows about it. Ana thinks it's dumb -- "

"You told her?"

"Oh, of course! To let her know that if she wanted to break-up with me because of it, that I understood. Like, obviously, I'd be heartbroken, but I don't want her to be uncomfortable. But she's stubborn," he said, smiling now. "Said that if they wanted to relieve their teenage years so bad that they could off and find a Time-Turner."

Minho snorted and looked back out at the snow.

"But, like, the way I look at it… They already got their chance, yeah?" Minho nodded. "And maybe they think their heart is in the right place but… If they want to be in my life, they'll have to get used to the idea of Ana being there with me. That's how our last row ended, anyway."

"So…" Minho looked over at him, to find him already watching him. "You think you two will get married?"

"Oh, for sure. Well, I hope so, at least." He paused then, his face scrunching up in a wince. ", sorry, mate, I made it all about me."

Minho patted Gil's shoulder. "It's okay. It helped, actually."

"Oh!" His expression brightened. "Good. I think I'll head back to bed now. You coming?"

"Yeah, I'll be right behind you."

Minho watched him slip back out the door and hurry down the stairs before he looked back at the falling snow. Maybe that's what he'd end up having to do if Kibum did ever return his feelings. Mom and Dad would just have to get used to the idea of them being together, or…or...

The or was terrifying.

He shook his head and pushed away from the threshold. If he thought about it anymore he wouldn't be able to sleep a wink. He made his way back to his room and pulled the glass sphere out of his drawer before he crawled into bed. After he shook it, he watched the stars shift in the captured night sky, tracing the constellations until he couldn't keep his eyes open anymore.