Marry You

By My Side

- February 21, 2018 -

The scent of leather armor and wood polish permeated the air of Stein’s Quidditch Goods. Kibum’s nose wrinkled up as he stepped inside, then he sneezed into his arm. He didn’t mind it so much when Minho came home smelling like the shop, but that was because it was fainter then. And usually, that meant he was in Minho's arms... Kibum rubbed his scrunched-up nose as he made his way to the counter, glancing behind it to see if he could spot Minho at work.

Charity, one of the cashiers, started over to him, clearly thinking he was a customer until she recognized him. “Is it okay if I just go back there?” he asked when her expression brightened naturally compared to her customer service smile.

“Yeah, he’s a bit busy today, though.”

“I won’t be long.” She lifted the hinged counter, and Kibum walked through with a nod of thanks, heading past the storage shelves to Minho’s workroom.

There he was, sitting with his back to the room while he worked on t a newly retwigged broom. He was wearing a backward cap to keep his hair out of his face, one of his ears sticking out cutely. His apron hung loosely around him, the strings nearly unraveled. Kibum smiled as he leaned against the counter, waiting for Minho to notice that he was there. He was so engrossed in his work that it took several minutes before he looked up.

“Bum!” He pushed up the bridge of his glasses, his wide eyes blinking under the smudged lenses. “You should have texted me that you were coming!”

Kibum sniffed a laugh, reaching forward to take Minho’s work glasses off so he could clean them with his sweater. “I did text you. Are you too busy for lunch, or can you take a break?”

His brow furrowed as Kibum handed back his glasses. “No, I should be fine. I’m a bit ahead of schedule right now.”

"Do you want to eat here or at home?"

"We still have pizza, right?" Kibum nodded, and Minho pushed himself up, squinting slightly as he put his weight on his leg. "Home then." He reached around to untie his apron, but Kibum was quicker. "We should let the dogs out anyway."

"True." Kibum patted his side, and Minho pulled his apron off before he went over to wash his hands.

"Is it still snowing?" Kibum shook his head, and Minho nodded.

He dried his hands, slipped into his coat, and they were off out the back door. Kibum slipped his hand around Minho's forearm, tucking his shoulder behind Minho's as they walked along.

"How's your day been?"

Kibum smiled at Minho's soft question. "Uneventful. Yours?"

"Not bad. Pringle sent his broom in for me to customize, but I'm saving that for last."

"What does he want to be done?"

Minho let out a long sigh, his breath plumping in the still-glittering air. "I can't remember. I only glanced at the order once."

"Mm." Minho unlatched the gate and opened it with a flick of his wand when they were a few steps away so they wouldn't have to slow down. "Have you been thinking about dates?"

Minho nodded, opening the door and letting Kibum step through first. "We can talk about it over lunch," he said, raising his voice so that Kibum could still hear him over the puppies' excited barking.

Minho greeted them in his high-pitched baby voice, and Kibum smiled as he watched him crouch down to pet them. He closed the door, stepping around them and starting down the hall into the living room.

The door to Jonghyun's old room was ajar, and Kibum walked over, peeking inside. It was strange seeing it empty. He'd finally saved up enough to move out -- even if it was only into the townhouse next door -- at the end of January. Minho had joked that they could make it Comme Des and Garcon's bedroom, and Kibum had laughed, but so far they had no plans for it.

Maybe a guest room? But even then, they didn't have visitors very often. Something brushed against his pant leg and he turned around, finding Comme Des sitting at his feet expectantly. "Did your father abandon you?" he whispered as he stopped to scoop him up. Comme Des strained against his hold to his face, and Kibum relented, letting him do whatever he wanted as he joined Minho at the back door.

He set Comme Des down, letting him run out into the snow after his brother. He leaned against the door jamb, smiling at Minho as he turned back around. "So what day were you thinking would be good?"

"Yesterday."

Kibum's smile turned exasperatedly fond as he drew close enough to wrap his arms around his waist, his head resting on Minho's shoulder. "Okay, but, realistically...when?"

Minho leaned his head against Kibum's with a sigh. "I'm good with whatever. I would say we could elope, but Jonghyun said he would kill us both if we did that."

"So demanding."

Chuckling, Minho turned to kiss the crown of Kibum's head. "I know."

"Natasha said we have to figure out the date soon so we can get everything else planned."

"I mean, I feel like that makes sense." Kibum hummed in thought, then pinched his side. Just light enough to feel it. "Hey! I wasn't being sarcastic!"

"Sure, you weren't." Kibum sighed for a long time then turned, propping his chin on Minho's shoulder. "What about an autumn wedding?"

"Oh! I like that idea."

Of course you do, love, he held himself back from saying. Autumn had been Minho's favorite season since they were kids. Kibum liked to joke that that was only the case because his birthday was then, but Minho always rolled his eyes when he brought it up.

He was right, though. Of course.

"Not September, because that's your birthday month."

Kibum sniffed a laugh. "October, then?"

Minho's eyebrows shot up as he slowly met Kibum's gaze. "Halloween?" Kibum blinked rapidly, leaning a bit away from Minho as the thought settled into his mind. "Bad idea?"

"No...I like it. Seems only fitting, somehow."

"What do you mean?"

"Well, our first anniversary is on Christmas day. Might as well take Halloween while we're at it."

Minho's face broke into a grin. "What's the next major holiday that we can steal? Valentine's Day?"

"That one has been ours for years and you know it." His eyebrows rose as a knowing twinkle glimmered in his eyes. Kibum rolled his eyes, biting back a grin as he settled back on Minho's shoulder and watched their puppies romp in the snow. "So, Halloween?"

"People could dress up in costumes at the reception or something. That could be fun."

"That's more of a Muggle thing, don't you think?"

"Well, yeah...don't act like you don't enjoy that, though." Kibum laughed. "We'll have to coordinate our costumes."

"Of course." He straightened, patting Minho's chest. "Let's head back in and start working on the list of people we're inviting."

"Sounds good."

Kibum slipped out of Minho's arms and started for the door, holding it open while he waited for the puppies to bound over in answer to Minho's call. After a brief and excited greeting -- playing out in the snow always made them a bit more hyper than usual -- they blew past them and into the house. Kibum smiled at Minho's bemused expression as he followed after them, then Kibum closed the door behind himself, the warmth of their home enveloping him.

* * * * * * * * * *

- March 15, 2018 -

"Hey, hon?"

Minho turned around, still brushing his teeth, and looked through the open bathroom door to their empty bedroom. "Yeah?" he called out, though he wasn't sure if Kibum could hear him.

Crack!

Kibum appeared in the doorway of the bathroom, then leaned against it as Minho turned back around to spit out his frothy toothpaste. "Are you almost ready to head out?"

"Mhm." He rinsed, spit again, then wiped his mouth off on a nearby towel. "When is our appointment?"

"Not for another thirty minutes."

Minho slipped past him, smiling when Kibum grabbed his before he was out of reach. He glanced out the window. Still raining. He reached for his jacket just as Kibum cleared his throat, and he glanced over at him, his brow furrowing. "What's up?"

"What do you mean?"

Minho blinked, his search for his jacket forgotten momentarily. "What do you mean, what do I mean?" Kibum scoffed, sinking onto the foot of their bed. "You're nervous, right?"

Kibum eventually nodded. Which he didn't necessarily have to do, Minho could have guessed that himself, just with how he was picking at his nails and avoiding meeting his gaze.

"Why?"

Kibum's sigh turned into a groan. "I'm just...frustrated." Minho pressed his splayed hand to his chest, his eyebrows raising in question. "No, not at you. At me." Frowning, Minho moved away from the closet and joined Kibum on the bed, gathering his hands in his. "I bought your ring, like...ages ago, but I haven't been able to think of a good way to give it to you."

Minho smiled then, and Kibum was soon to follow, albeit shyly. "Aww, babe -- "

"Shut up," he said, his smile growing as he rolled his eyes.

"You could just hand it to me and tell me to put it on, you know."

"Yeah, but...that's not romantic at all."

"What it is is adorable."

"Merlin's ing -- " Minho cackled, pressing his forehead to Kibum's shoulder as he wriggled his hand out of Minho's grip and dug into his pocket. "Fine." He pulled out a small shimmery black box and Minho sat up slowly, looking down at it as Kibum held it out in the minimal space between them. "Here."

Kibum popped open the ring box, revealing the same ring he had purchased for him all those months ago.

"I wanted us to be matching," Kibum said quickly as Minho looked up, meeting his gaze. "I really like mine, and...and I hope you don't mind."

"Mind?" Minho asked, confusing Kibum for a second. "I'll be lucky if I get any work done since I'll probably be too busy staring at it."

Kibum scoffed, shaking his head with a sigh. He glanced down at the ring box, pulling the opaline ring from its cushion. Minho readily provided his hand, And Kibum's free hand gently held his steady as he slipped it on his empty ring finger.

Minho could feel the weight of Kibum's scrutiny, but he couldn't take his eyes off his ring. Before, he'd always thought it was endearing and cute that Kibum would occasionally get distracted by his ring, but now he understood.

Eventually, he looked up, once again meeting Kibum's gaze. Minho pulled him into a hug, holding him as close as he could. He buried his face in his neck and sweater, breathing in his faintly spicy cologne. "I can't wait to marry you," Kibum whispered, and Minho gripped him tighter still. "Maybe we should just elope and not tell Jjong."

Chuckling, Minho pulled away enough to kiss him. Once, twice, smiling now. "I'm okay with that, but would Mom be?"

Kibum groaned again. "I guess we can't disappoint her, huh?" Minho shook his head, leaning forward to kiss Kibum again when he started to pout. "Let's go. I skipped breakfast so we could taste all of the cakes."

Laughing, Kibum leaned away, and Minho stood to return to the original task of finding his jacket. "Yeah, we're probably tormenting the puppies by not having left yet."

As soon as Minho grabbed his jacket and Kibum his umbrella, they were off, huddling together to avoid the rain. The warm light from within Sanderson’s gleamed in the puddles of the cobblestones as they approached. Minho opened the door, letting Kibum inside as he shook the raindrops off of their umbrella.

“A blessed morning to you and your beloved!” Winifred exclaimed as Kibum walked up to greet her. Minho grinned over at them as he handed the umbrella to the coat stand. It grabbed it with one of its hangers, setting it in the canister before helping Minho out of his coat. “Mine sister awaits you in our workshop, my dears.”

“Are we late?” Minho asked, hurrying over to where Kibum was waiting for him by the counter.

“No, no, not at all. This way, this way,” she said, shooing them dramatically to the door to the backroom.

Cauldrons of bubbling coffee filled half of the room with the rich perfume of the brew. The walls were lined with bottles upon bottles of potions that Minho assumed -- or rather, hoped -- were flavors to be added to the coffee. On the other side of the room were ovens and bags of flour and sugar. As they moved closer, the scent of coffee died away, and they were greeted with something a little sweeter. And, if Minho wasn’t mistaken, it was definitely something chocolatey.

By the ovens sat a witch with a book in one hand and her wand in the other. On the counter beside her, bowls of something stirred themselves. As soon as the spatula stopped moving, a spoon lifted from the counter, dipping into the batter and floating over to the witch. She didn’t look away from her book as she tasted it.

“More cardamom,” she murmured, and a bottle of the spice flew off the shelf, sprinkling a little bit more into the batter. “Okay, that’s good.”

Kibum cleared his throat, and she snapped the book closed, looking up at them with wide, darkly-lined eyes. She, like her sisters, had a bit of a wild air about her. She was definitely the youngest, just based on the lack of wrinkles and wisps of gray in her mouse-brown hair. Her smile grew and she hopped off the counter, brushing flour off of her robes and completely missing the flour on her face.

“You must be Minho and Kibum!” she said, eagerly shaking each of their hands in turn. “I’m Sara, it’s so nice to meet you!”

“Uh, likewise,” Kibum said, glancing over at the table as she gestured toward it. Minho patted the small of his back as he moved past him, taking one of the seats. Kibum sat beside him, and Sara took the chair opposite of them.

Her gaze was penetrating, almost unnervingly so, as she glanced between them. Kibum cleared his throat, and she cracked her knuckles before resting her clasped hands on the table. “Let me guess, you two have been best friends since childhood?”

“Uh…”

“Yes,” Minho said, smiling despite his confusion. "How did you k -- "

"Please, it's so obvious. Now -- " Her gaze darted between them again. “What’s his favorite sweet?” she asked, pointing at Kibum while looking at Minho.

He blinked rapidly. “Um, pumpkin pasties?”

“What about him?” she asked Kibum.

He scoffed, glancing over at Minho before looking back at her. “He has a lot of favorites. It’s hard to narrow it down.” Her eyebrows raised, and she looked to Minho for what he guessed was confirmation, so he nodded. “What does this have to do with -- “

“I’m just getting a baseline figured out. Bear with me.”

"I still bake them for him."

"Not lately," Kibum muttered, though when Minho looked over at him, he was smiling.

"Hey, you told me not -- " Minho stopped mid-sentence when a flour-dusted quill floated up and a scroll of parchment unraveled so it could begin writing.

"Just ignore the quill," Sara said, the flames from the ovens dancing in her eyes. "So, tell me about yourselves. Your relationship. Don't spare any detail."

Kibum smirked. "Are you sure? We've known each other since we were eleven."

"Why would I ask if I didn't want to know?"

Minho cast a furtive glance Kibum's way. He nodded toward her, and Minho shook his head, gesturing for him to start. "Okay, fine." He sighed, closing his eyes for a second. "So, we met on the train to school. The Hogwarts Express."

They took turns recounting everything they could think of, skimming over most of their earlier years at Hogwarts, since they hadn't realized their true romantic feelings toward each other until a little way into their time at the castle.

"If you want to be technical, our first date was in third year."

Kibum covered his face with his palm, chuckling. "It was, yeah. God, we were dense."

"I swear, that was the biggest mug of hot cocoa I've ever seen in my life." Sara smiled, her eyebrows raising slightly as the quill scribbled furiously behind her. "Right, yeah, so that was our first time in Hogsmeade…"

She didn't ask many questions. She just let them talk. Just as they were getting to their first Yule Ball, she got up to cut a slice of freshly baked butterbeer cake for each of them. It nearly distracted them from finishing their story. It was the richest, the butteriest cake that Minho had had to date. It melted in his mouth, and he zoned out of the conversation so he could focus on it.

"Is this cake enchanted or something?" he blurted out, interrupting whatever Kibum was saying.

She laughed, and the quill stopped writing for a second. "Not that I'm aware of. Would you like another slice?"

Minho nodded eagerly, and she gestured lazily with her wand to the cake stand with the butterbeer cake. Another slice was already being cut, and Minho's empty plate zoomed over to it, catching the fresh slice before he hurried back to him.

"Anyways, like I was saying…"

"Right, sorry, sweetheart," Minho said, his mouth already full of cake again. Kibum chuckled, shaking his head as he continued.

By the time they had recounted everything they could think of and Sara sent them on their way, it had stopped raining. Droplets slipped off the leaves of the trees lining the cobblestone lane. They followed it aimlessly, hand in hand, on their way to the park.

"Have you thought any more about where you want to go for our honeymoon?" Minho asked, glancing over at the empty playground when they reached the park.

"Hm...I don't know, I'm still attached to the idea of Paris." Minho hummed, smiling. "It's just such a romantic city, or so I've heard. Mom suggested it," he added a few seconds later, absently. "She said that that's where Dad took her."

Oh.

Bumji.

Minho's gaze lost focus as he stared at the path as they walked, the stonework indistinct. He hadn't thought about his father-in-law for a few months. About how he wanted to see Kibum, someday. His brow pinched in. What if...what if they went there? Saw him?

"Minho?" Kibum said with a tug on his hand, bringing Minho back to the conversation. "You still with me, love?"

"Yeah." He cleared his throat, shaking his head. "Yeah, sorry, I was just...lost in thought."

He swung Minho's hand up, kissing the back of it, earning a smile from Minho. "You still wanna go to Barcelona?"

"I think so, yeah. Ana always made it sound so nice. But...I was just thinking…"

"What?"

Minho worried his bottom lip for a second, then sighed. "Would you want to make one of our stops Korea?"

Kibum stopped walking. "Korea?"

"South Korea."

He snorted, slapping Minho's shoulder with his free hand and shoving him away, though not very far away since they were still holding hands. "Yeah, no , babe."

Minho coughed a laugh. "Yeah, well, I was just being clear."

"I appreciate it."

He gulped, allowing a few steps of silence before he asked, "So? Yes or no?"

"I mean, I'm not opposed to it...it'd be nice to go back again..."

"But?"

"But aren't you worried about seeing your parents again?"

Oh...he hadn't even considered that. But even so, "No, they're heading back to England, remember? Dad retired and they want to be closer to Minseok's family."

Kibum frowned. "I don't think you told me that."

", sorry."

He shook his head. "It's okay...Well, I guess, yeah, that sounds fun!"

Minho smiled, gripping his hand a little tighter. So...Paris, Barcelona, and Daegu. That sounded like quite the trip.

Out of nowhere, Kibum stopped walking, looking back at the way they had come. "What is it?"

"She never asked us what flavors we wanted."

"Didn't she?"

", now I don't remember."

"Here," Minho pulled on his arm, turning them around. "Let's go make sure."

She hadn't, and she actually laughed when they came back. "Don't worry, I know exactly what you'll love." Kibum looked as if he were about to argue, but she held up her hand. "One thing I forgot to ask was how many people are you expecting?"

"Uh…"

"About fifty," Minho said.

"Great!" She gave them a bright grin. "I'll see you on Halloween, then!"

Then she apparated back to her ovens, leaving them to head back into the shop, and at Mary's insistence, leave Sanderson's with a free coffee for their walk home.

* * * * * * * * * *

- August 3, 2018 -

Ripping stitches, whether by hand or with his wand, was always incredibly cathartic. Strips of golden sunlight cut across the green velvet of Minho's new dress robes, Kibum's gaze half-focused on the dart he was fixing as he stared blankly at the rays of light. He was in his workroom, which also doubled as the room where they kept all the stuff they had accumulated thus far for their wedding. It had been Jonhyun's old room, which meant he frequently complained that they had kicked him out so they could plan their wedding in peace.

As if he hadn't been the one to leave. Voluntarily.

Smiling now, Kibum's gaze refocused on the green velvet. Their dress robes for their wedding were almost ready now. A bit early, perhaps, but it would have stressed him out to cut the time any shorter.

He stopped ripping out the stitch, tossing aside the seam ripper. As he did so, his measuring tape floated up of its own accord, stretching out to measure the new dart as Kibum folded the velvet in.

"Okay, thanks," he murmured when he reached the right measurement. The tape measure zipped back up and flew to his sewing machine. Sunlight glinted off the pins that took their place in the air as they shot toward where he was pinching the fabric. They threaded themselves into it, holding the dart in place.

He shook out the robes, then, holding them out to inspect, then flipped them inside out so he could resew the seam. His sewing machine whirred to life, the seam resewn in a matter of seconds. As he snipped the threads on either side of the dart, the front door opened, and Kibum froze.

“Honey, I’m home!”

“.”

Kibum lunged across his workstation, grabbing his wand. With a thought of Colovaria, he changed the rich green velvet to a fluorescent orange and fuchsia paisley patterned dress robe. Then he pointed at his dress robe hanging on a nearby manikin, repeating the spelling and changing the shimmering gold to a lurid lime green.

Just in time, too, because Minho poked his head into the room. “Hey -- oh god.”

Kibum laughed, setting his wand aside.

“I swear, they get worse every time I see them.”

“Thanks, I think.”

Minho grinned and stepped inside. “It’s definitely a compliment. I can’t wait to see how they turn out.”

When Kibum had mentioned that he wanted to make their outfits for their wedding, Minho had joked that he’d better not see what they look like beforehand because that would be bad luck. That had been months ago, and Kibum kept having to cover both of the actual looks up with varied and wild colors to ensure that Minho would be surprised on the day of.

“Here,” Kibum said as he stood and shook Minho’s robes out. “Try this on, I think it’s perfect now.”

Minho eyed the paisley pattern with a small, unsure smile before he let Kibum slip it on him. “Feels nice.”

“Good,” Kibum said after a few seconds of distracted smoothing. “When will Jjong be here?”

“Soon. He was just finishing cleaning up.”

Kibum nodded, sighing. “I think I’m done with these now.”

“Yeah?” Minho glanced in the mirror, inspecting himself. “That’ll be a huge relief, for sure.” He met Kibum’s gaze in the mirror, his eyebrows raising in amusement. “You should go put yours on, too,” he said as he dug in his pocket, producing his wand. Kibum left his side, heading to the manikin and relieving it of the horridly green robes. By the time he returned to Minho, he had Kibum’s polaroid in hand, and Kibum sidled up to him, smiling for the picture.

The front door opened again as Minho lowered the polaroid, both turning toward the sound. It slammed shut, and Jonghyun stomped into the living room. Kibum caught a glimpse of Minho’s amused expression in the mirror before he slipped out of his robes. “Jjong?” he said, hurrying toward the door.

“What?” was his clipped response, and Kibum found him flopped down on the couch, the crook of his arm covering his eyes.

“Long day?” he asked, looking back at Minho, who was also robeless now, when he touched his side to move past him. He started for the kitchen, grabbing a few chilled bottles of their spiked butterbeer.

“I hate customers sometimes.”

“They’re the worst,” Minho said, cracking open one of the bottles. He offered it to Jonghyun as he lowered his arm to look up at him. He sat up slowly before he took it with a heavy sigh.

“Do we want dinner first or would you rather just get started on the invites right now?”

“Dinner,” Minho and Jonghyun said together.

By the time dinner was eaten, Jonghyun had relaxed, his workday forgotten. Minho started the dishes cleaning themselves while Kibum got out the envelopes and invitations.

“Okay, so, how do we want to do this?” he asked, setting the box down on the table and plopping back onto his cushion.

Jonghyun grabbed the list of names and addresses, scanning it. “One of us could stuff the envelopes while the other two write the addresses?”

“That’ll probably work,” Minho said as he rejoined them, taking his place beside Kibum.

Minho started to fill the envelopes, passing them between Kibum and Jonghyun, who shared the list of addresses between them.

“So how much more do you guys have to do?” Jonghyun asked, checking off his first name from the list.

“Well, I’ve just got a few finishing touches left for the robes.”

“After this” -- Minho gestured to the invitations strewn between them. -- “I think we just have to get the official figured out. Like, the marriage license, stuff like that.”

“Oh...Oh, I’ve been meaning to ask…” Kibum looked up at Jonghyun, humming in question. "Which surname will you two be taking?"

"Oh ," Kibum said, tapping his fingers on his lips as he looked over at Minho. "I didn't even think of that." Minho's brow furrowed, and Kibum reached out, touching his shoulder. "What do you think? Should we hyphenate them?"

"We'll take yours. Kim."

Kibum blinked rapidly as Minho looked up, meeting his eyes. "Are you sure? I don't mind taking Choi -- "

"I've basically been a Kim now for years, hon," he said with a chuckle. "It won't be that big of a change."

"I guess that's true…" Minho smiled as Kibum leaned over to give him a quick kiss. “Kim it is, then.”

He could still feel Minho’s fond gaze on him as he looked back at Jonghyun. “That does remind me, though, we’ve got a question for you, too.”

Jonghyun dropped his quill, raising his hands and shaking his head solemnly. “No thanks, guys. As much as I love you two es, I don’t want to be involved in your relationship.”

Minho snorted before outright laughing, and Kibum glared at Jonghyun. “No, dip, we were gonna ask if you’d want to officiate our wedding.”

His faux serious expression morphed into one of genuine shock. “Really?” Kibum nodded, smiling now. “Are you serious?”

“Yeah,” Minho said, a hint of laughter in his voice. “We can’t imagine our wedding any other way.”

Jonghyun sat back, leaning against the couch, his eyes wide and glassy. “I’m really honored that you’d think of me.”

“Yeah, of course,” Minho started to say, but Kibum nudged his knee. When he looked his way, Kibum widened his eyes a little and nodded toward Jonghyun again. “Oh, right, uh…”

“What?”

“So we were planning on writing our own vows -- “

“Love that.”

Kibum cleared his throat and leaned toward Jonghun. “We were thinking...that you could perform the Unbreakable Vow as part of the ceremony. During that part.”

Jonghyun’s mouth popped open as his attention darted between them. “Are you sure?” Minho nodded. “Like really sure?” Kibum nodded this time. “Because that isn’t something to play around with. You can die if the vows are broken, you know.”

Minho sighed, setting aside the envelope he just finished stuffing. “We’ve thought a lot about it and talked about it, and we’re both really secure in our decision. And in our relationship. I’m not worried about breaking the vow.”

“I’m not either.”

"Well, if you're sure…"

"We definitely are," Minho said, and Kibum looked over at him, smiling.

"Then, of course, I'll do that for you guys."

* * * * * * * * * *

- October 30, 2018 -

"Let's just run over it one more time."

Minho sighed, plopping down on the foot of their bed and pulling out his phone to check the time while Kibum pulled on his sweater. Everyone was arriving in...about twenty-five minutes.

"Tiffany and Sooyoung are already there." Minho nodded dutifully. "Jinki and Taemin are on their way to the restaurant from the airport."

"Plus Jinki's wife. And their kids."

"Right." Kibum's brow furrowed as he crouched, huffing, and searched for his boots. "Jjong is running a little late." Minho nodded again, then smiled as Kibum plopped down on the ground to tug on his boots. "And Mom is heading there now from the hotel."

"And," Minho added when Kibum didn't continue. "Minseok and everyone is catching a cab with her."

"Okay." He sat back once his boots were on, blowing a wavy lock of hair out of his eyes. "Did I mess my hair up?"

Minho sniffed a laugh, pushing off the bed and crouching in front of him to fix the flyaway strands. "You're good now."

Kibum tilted his chin up with a small smile, and Minho obliged him with a kiss. "I can tell them if you don't want to," he whispered when Minho pulled away.

"I'll be okay."

"Hm...fine." he pushed forward, his hand caressing Minho's jaw as he reached around to hold his neck, and pulled him into another, rather thorough, kiss. "I guess we should go then."

"I still say we should elope."

"Mm, don't tempt me."

Minho grinned, kissed him again, then pulled away to help him stand. Kibum hurried downstairs, refilling Comme Des and Garcons' food and water dishes, and Minho plodded down behind him, grabbing both of their coats. They had to bar the dogs from leaving with them with their feet, and as soon as the door was closed behind them, they started toward the Center.

Since it was a nice enough night, and Hometown Hotpot wasn’t too far away from Canal Street, they decided to walk the short distance to the restaurant. They were greeted by the hostess and shown to the reserved back room when they said they were part of the party of sixteen. Mom was already there, half a glass of wine in with Sooyoung and Miyoung. Kibum let go of his arm to go hug Mom while Minho stepped around the table and into Sooyoung’s open arms.

“Hey, kiddo, long time no see!”

“It’s not my fault you live clear across the country.”

She grinned at him, and Minho switched his attention to Miyoung, who hugged him tightly too. “How’s married life treating you?”

“Eh, it’s okay.”

Sooyoung’s mouth popped open, her short hair falling into her face as she whirled around to face her wife. “Just okay?” Miyoung, to hide her smile, sat back down and sipped her wine primly. Sooyoung rolled her eyes with a small smile and looked back at Minho. “I like your mother-in-law. She’s really sweet.”

“She’s the best, isn’t she?”

“Yeah, you really lucked out.”

As if she had heard them mention her, Mom came over to hug Minho in greeting, while Kibum plopped down beside Miyoung, who immediately started showing him pictures of her and Sooyoung’s dogs -- Mori the Yorkie and Minnie the Maltese.

“Are you stressed out about tomorrow?” she asked, holding him an arms-length away after she had hugged him so she could look up at him.

“Not really. I’m actually feeling strangely calm.” She chuckled. “Kinda just want to get it over with so we can get back to normal.”

“Makes sense.” She glanced around at the empty room. “When is Jonghyun supposed to be here?”

But before he could answer, an excited squeal that sounded suspiciously like “Uncle Minho!” filled the room. Surprised, he turned to find Winifred breaking free of Felicity’s hand and running toward him. Grinning, he immediately dropped down to her level, wrapping her in a hug when she reached him. Dominic was soon to follow her, and he pulled him in, too. Felicity hugged him and kissed his cheek in greeting, and Minseok grinned as he pulled him into a rough hug.

“How was the flight?”

“Traveling with kids that want to go exploring while also having magic is just...so fun.” Minho laughed and released him so he could greet Kibum and return to his wife’s side.

Kibum, once he had said his hellos to everyone around the table, beckoned Minho over to join him in the empty seats at the head of the table. Just as he was pulling out his seat, three small children that he couldn’t ever remember seeing came through the archway, followed by Sooyoun and then, at last, Jinki and Taemin. Minho abandoned his seat, motioning for Kibum to follow him. His face was starting to hurt a little from smiling so much, but he couldn’t help it as he hugged Taemin, then Jinki, then Taemin again.

“Guys, let me introduce you.” He returned to Kibum’s side, slipping his arm around him. “Kibum, this is Jinki.” They bowed politely to each other and shook hands. “And this is Taemin.”

“I’ve heard a lot about you two over the years,” Kibum said.

“Yeah, same.”

“He wouldn’t shut up about how great you are,” Taemin said, grinning cheekily at Minho.

Minho punched his shoulder, which only made him laugh, and his attention was diverted when one of Jinki’s kids called for him. Kibum leaned a little closer to Jinki. “I just wanted to thank you for taking Minho in when he needed you. I know I’m many years late, but, I really appreciate you for that.”

“Yeah, of course. I was just happy to help.”

Before they finally returned to their seats, Jinki took them over to introduce them to his kids. Jiyoo, who Minho had only seen as an infant, was now the older sister of two brothers, Jiseok and Jiwoong.

“Do you think we should call Jjong?” Kibum whispered to Minho as they made their way back to the head of the table.

“Has he not texted you?” Kibum shook his head, and Minho frowned, pulling out his phone. There were no texts from him, either. “Hm, maybe.”

As they sat down, Kibum called him but pulled his phone away from his ear as soon as he lifted it. “He declined?”

“What?”

Minho was just about to call him, too, when he walked through the doorway. “Everyone can relax. The party can start now that I’ve arrived.”

Minho shook his head with a smile as Kibum stood. “For everyone that doesn’t know, this is Jonghyun, my friend.” He waved to the room as he slipped into the empty seat beside Taemin, who had turned his head slightly to glance at him.

The waitstaff soon flooded the room, taking everyone’s drink orders and setting up the hot pot and barbeque in the center of the table. Once everyone had their drinks and their food was ready to start being cooked, they left the room, and Minho leaned a little closer to Kibum. “Should we do it now or later?”

“I’d say now. Just to get it over with.”

Minho nodded, then cleared his throat to draw the attention of everyone around the table. Once he had it, he took a deep breath before saying, “First of all, I’d like to thank everyone for coming all this way to celebrate with us. It means the world to us and we’re very grateful that you’d take the time out of your busy lives to spend some time with us. But, uh, there’s something a few of you need to know.” He cleared his throat again, his gaze darting to Jinki and his family, then to Sooyoung and Miyoung, and then to Taemin. “We, Kibum and I, and a few of the others here...we’re wizards.”

No one said anything. They all just blinked at him in confusion. “Kibum and I met at a school for magic in England, and we live in a wizarding borough here in New York. And, that’s where the wedding will be held. I’m explaining this now so that you’ll be, uh, mentally prepared for tomorrow? Someone will be there to show you how to get in and everything, and -- “

“Why didn’t you mention this before?” Taemin asked, though he didn’t sound upset. Mostly just curious.

“The wizards have a statute of secrecy, so we’re not allowed to really talk about it much. Speaking of, when you leave the wizarding borough, someone will be there to perform a memory charm to ensure that you won’t remember the location of the borough.”

“Does it hurt?” Sooyoun asked, glancing at her kids.

“No, no,” Minseok said. “Not at all. I’ve had to have it done to me once or twice. It’s just...vaguely odd.”

Minho nodded. “We wanted to let you know beforehand so that if you were uncomfortable with the idea, you won’t have to come tomorrow.” When no one responded right away, Minho cleared his throat again. “So...what’s the consensus?”

“I mean,” Jinki said after looking at his wife, who nodded. “I’m okay with it.”

“Yeah, same,” Sooyoung said.

“Can you show us some magic right now?” Taemin asked, and Jonghyun laughed.

“Uh, no,” Kibum said, smiling now. “That’ll have to wait until tomorrow.” Minho sat back in his seat, letting out a quiet sigh, and looked over at Kibum when he patted his thigh. “Feel better?” Minho nodded. “Good.”

“I think we can start cooking everything now,” Kimee said, glancing around the table.

“Yeah, dig in, everyone!”

* * * * *

“So, are you a wizard too?”

Jonghyun blinked rapidly, looking up at the man next to him. It wasn’t an odd question, given Minho’s announcement, but it was the fact that he said it in perfect French that was a surprise to him. “I...what?” He repeated the question, again in French, his smile turning a tad impish as his eyebrows quirked up. “Yes, I am. Who are you?”

“I’m Taemin.” Jonghyun blinked again, setting aside his moonrise cocktail. “We’ve met before?” He laughed -- it was a cute, breathy sort of laugh -- when Jonghyun’s whole face scrunched up in confusion. “Virtually, I mean.”

“What does that mean?”

It was Taemin’s turn to look confused. “You don’t know what ‘virtually’ means?”

“Should I?”

“Uh…”

Jonghyun picked up his cocktail again, taking a few tentative sips as he wracked his brain. Where in the would he have met one of Minho’s friends before? Who lived all the way in Korea… Wait…the video game thing Minho had him play... He stopped sipping on his drink. “Banana...Milk93?”

Taemin was smiling again, his whole face lighting up. “That’s me!”

“It’s nice to officially meet you, then,” Jonghyun said, setting his drink back down. “Wait, am I the reason you know French?”

He smiled shyly, looking down at the hot pot bubbling before them. “Maybe.”

Jonghyun smiled, then, he couldn’t help himself. “Why’d you want to learn?”

“I was curious what you were saying...My parents thought I was crazy for learning French on top of everything else at school.”

“I’m sure.” Taemin still was pointedly looking away from him, clearly at least a little embarrassed, but Jonghyun couldn’t bring himself to look away from him. He was very pretty, for lack of a better word, in a way that Pierre never was. His eyes, while dark like his own, glimmered with a playful sort of mischief whenever he smiled. He never really interacted with Muggles all that much before, but right now, his curiosity was beginning to blossom. “So, what is it that you do?”

“Oh, um, well, I’m a ballet master.” Jonghyun’s eyebrows shot up. “Yeah, I teach in Seoul. Kids, mostly, but I have an adult class as well.” He cleared his throat, shrugging awkwardly. “What about you?”

“Me?” Taemin nodded, finally looking over at meeting his gaze. “Well, right now, nothing much. But I used to be in a rock band.” Why the did he say that? He hadn’t brought up Nebulous Stardust since...not even to Kibum or Minho. “But those days are far behind me now.”

“What position were you?”

“Uh, vocals. I also wrote a lot of our songs.” That they’re probably still using. Jonghyun bristled at the thought.

“That makes sense. You have a nice voice.”

Jonghyun relaxed, if only marginally. “Thank you. I haven’t felt much like singing for a while, though.”

“How come?”

Jonghyun huffed a laugh, shaking his head a little as he leaned forward to flip the strips of sizzling beef in front of them. "We don't know each other well enough for me to divulge that."

"Well, people say I'm a good listener -- "

"Who in their right mind -- " the man on the other side of Taemin said with an incredulous laugh.

"What?"

"You're only a good listener because you forget what people said like maybe five seconds afterward."

"No, Jinki-hyung, that's you."

"That's you, too, which is why we're two peas in a ing pod."

He laughed again, his nose scrunching up as he grinned before he looked over at Jinki.

"So, you two know each other, too?"

"Us?" Jinki asked, leaning forward when Taemin sat back, both of them looking at Jonghyun, who nodded. "Yeah, we grew up on the same street as Minho. Their brothers were in my grade, so we hung around a lot and I got stuck looking after them."

"Stuck with?" Taemin asked, clearly half-offended.

Jinki didn't reply, he only grinned at Taemin before he returned his attention to one of his sons. Taemin huffed and turned back to Jonghyun. "He acts like he didn't actively choose to hang out with us because he liked the thought of having younger brothers."

"Only child?" Taemin nodded. "So is Kibum." He leaned a little closer so he could whisper in his ear. "Believe me, it shows."

Taemin laughed again, louder this time, drawing a few eyes to them. Jonghyun grinned, glancing down the table to where Kibum was, finding him watching them curiously.

Jonghyun cleared his throat and leaned closer again. "That's between you and me, though. And, I'm totally just kidding."

"Of course," Taemin said, following Jonghyun's gaze to where Kibum sat then looked back at him with a hint of a wink and a fleeting smirk. There was that twinkle in his eyes again, too.

Maybe it'd show up more often if he made him laugh...

.

Nope.

No.

He was absolutely not allowed to get attached to anyone at the wedding. Especially not one of the Muggles. He'd decided as much as soon as Kibum had told him that they were engaged. He'd sworn off men, he was completely done with relationships from now on. There was no way he'd be better off with a partner, after...after Pierre.

Besides, Taemin probably wasn't into men anyways. There was no need to even get his hopes up.

Still, he leaned slightly away to sip his cocktail again.

Dinner was soon ready, and Minseok, who was sitting on Jonghyun's other side, kept him company while everyone ate. It had been several years since they'd seen each other last, and evidently, Minho hadn't told Minseok about his and Pierre's breakup, because he asked, "So why aren't you with the band anymore? Felicity and I went to a concert a few months back and they had a new vocalist. We were really excited to see you again," he added when Jonghyun, instead of answering, downed the rest of his cocktail.

"Yeah, well, Pierre and I broke up. Long story," he said quickly before Minseok could ask after more details.

"Have you started a new band here?"

"Uh…" He huffed a quiet laugh. "No. Haven't really had the heart to do anything like that. Since."

Minseok's expression was one of mingled concern and surprise. "That's too bad. Do you miss it sometimes?"

He hesitated for a second, then nodded. "Part of me wants to try to sing a song for those two tomorrow." He gestured up the table to Kibum and Minho, who were both attentively listening to Mrs. Kim and two women he had yet to be introduced to. "Like, their song. The one I used to sing with the band." He sighed, a touch forlornly. "But I'm not sure if it's been too long since I tried to sing or not. I may have forgotten how to."

There was a choked, slurping sound from his other side, drawing both his and Minseok's attention. Taemin coughed and dropped his spoon in his soup, held up one finger as he took a couple of big gulps of water before he cleared his throat. "If you want," he said in rapid French, "I can practice with you. There's a piano in the foyer of my hotel."

"Since when do you know French?" Minseok asked, but they both ignored him.

"You'd do that for me?" Taemin nodded, his eyes bright. Eager. "We barely know each other."

"So?" Jonghyun's eyebrow rose in silent question. "That doesn't mean I can't try to help, right?"

Jonghyun squinted, leaning back a little. "Are you always this nice?"

Taemin smiled, the mischief glimmering in his gaze again. "Nope."

"Good," he said before he could stop himself. Luckily, Taemin didn't seem to mind.

When they were through with eating and Mrs. Kim paid for the meal, they all went to get their coats. Taemin pulled him aside as soon as they were out in the biting cold, nodding to one of the waiting taxis. Jonghyun spared a glance for the rest of the group as he followed him, but they were all too busy with Minho and Kibum to notice them slipping away. Taemin, as soon as Jonghyun's door was closed, gave the driver the name of the hotel, and they were off.

"I'm giving Kibum five minutes before he texts me."

"I wish I could have talked to him more tonight. I've heard a lot about him."

"You've heard just the good things, from his love-struck-best-friend-turned-life-partner's point of view." The headlights of the oncoming traffic glimmered in Taemin's eyes as he looked his way with an expectant smile. "If you wanna hear the way he actually is -- "

"Tell me everything."

It was too short of a ride to the hotel, or maybe the time just flew. Even though he had to heavily edit the stories he was able to tell -- Jonghyun wasn’t in the mood to answer too many questions about magic at the moment -- Taemin seemed to enjoy them. He was just finishing talking about how annoying a morning person Kibum was when the taxi driver parked under the hotel's awning. Taemin paid, thanking the man, and he scooted out after Jonghyun, following him inside.

He touched Jonghyun’s arm lightly, gesturing to the left of the check-in desk. “Piano is this way. Let me go ask if we can use it right now.”

Jonghyun watched him go, stuffing his hands in his pockets as he looked around. Either Taemin made quite a bit at his job or he was just splurging on his trip to New York because this place was very nice. With its crystal chandeliers, the swanky bar with the sound of quiet jazz spilling out of it, and the grand piano in the foyer...yes, it had to be quite expensive.

He meandered over to the piano, sleek and gleaming in the dim lighting. Jonghyun pressed the E just above middle C, humming the note then clearing his throat. A chill washed over him, a shiver crawled up his spine. Had it really been so long that even a single note was enough to excite him?

“She said we can use it for as long as we need,” Taemin said as soon as he was in earshot, and Jonghyun pulled his hand back from the piano, looking back at him as he approached. He stepped aside so Taemin could pull out the bench, and he sat beside him when Taemin patted the cushion. “Which song is it?”

“‘Put Your Head on My Shoulder’. Apparently, it’s the song I was singing when Minho confessed his feelings for Kibum.”

“Oh, I think I know that one.” He rested his fingers on the keys, then adjusted them and started to play the first few measures of the familiar song. “Is that it?”

Jonghyun nodded, his brow furrowing. “Not E flat though, please. I’m used to A.”

Taemin chuckled, adjusting his hands again on the keys, and started to play again, then glanced over at Jonghyun. “Better?”

“Yeah.”

“What tempo do you usually sing it at?”

A piacere, like it was intended to be sung.”

Taemin smiled, then nodded and started to play again, this time going through the whole song. Jonghyun stared at his hands, completely mesmerized, only coming back to the present when his hands stopped moving and he spoke.

“Sorry, what?”

“I said, did that sound okay?” Jonghyun nodded. “Okay, I’ll play you in, then.” He cleared his throat twice, and Taemin played the short introduction. And then, after a deep breath, Jonghyun began to sing.

It had been too long. His voice was too rough. If he closed his eyes, he could hear the familiar accompaniment. Phillipe’s keyboard, Turner’s drums, and Pierre’s…

His throat tightened with oncoming tears, and he stopped singing, the sound of the band floating away. Taemin played on, and Jonghyun could feel him glance his way, but he didn’t want to open his eyes yet. Only after he played the last note and the heavy clunk! of the pedal lifting sounded did he do so.

“Sorry.”

“Was it something I was doing wrong?” He shook his head, then after a while said No softly. “I know I’m practically a stranger, but...if you want to talk to me about it…?”

Maybe it wouldn’t hurt. In fact, it might help him get past this...block. Besides, Taemin seemed like a nice enough guy. He probably wouldn’t judge him… “So, my ex and I, we were in a band together for…” , had it really been ten years? “...a while. A long while. This is one of the songs we would sing. He...he’s the reason I haven’t felt much like singing, ever since we broke up.”

“Why’d you break it off?” Jonghyun took a deep breath, letting it all out, his heart somehow feeling a tad lighter. “Sorry, that’s probably really invasive.”

“No, it’s okay. Um. I, uh, caught him. Cheating. With another member.”

“Oh my god.”

Jonghyun huffed a defeated laugh, plinking a high G as he avoided Taemin’s eyes. “Yeah. So...I don’t know, I’m probably being dumb, but it’s just hard, you know? It’s hard to come back from that. Especially to something that we shared for...ten ing years.”

“...yeah, that, uh, really . I...don’t…”

“You don’t have to say anything if you don’t want to. It’s okay.” He looked up with a chuckle, meeting Taemin’s searching gaze. “I’d like to be able to move past it, though.”

“Is there anything I can do to help?”

He shrugged, his eyes returning to the keys again. “I guess we could run through it one more time?”

They ended up running through it three more times, Jonghyun’s confidence surging through him once again by the time they had finished practicing. Taemin, as it turned out, was quite the little perfectionist, given that he made Jonghyun sing the song through twice more because he made a mistake with his ad-libs.

“It’s not because of you, believe me,” he said, cracking his knuckles before he placed them on the keys again. “Your voice is...absolutely perfect. These keys are just different from my piano at home and it’s throwing me off.”

Perfect.

Could his voice ever be perfect? He carried that thought home with him after thanking Taemin and saying his goodbyes until tomorrow. He apparated home, absently shedding his boots and coat and sweater before trudging upstairs to crawl into his bed.

He pulled his phone out of his back pocket. Just as he expected, Kibum had sent a few messages. He texted back a quick I’m home now but knew better than to expect a response on the eve of the wedding. Tossing his phone away, he curled up on his side and hugged his pillow.

Perfect… Even if Taemin was just being nice after everything he had told him, well, it was quite kind of him.

Jonghyun smiled faintly as he drifted off to sleep.

* * * * *

"Do you want to come with us?"

"I'm sure there's room in the cab for you two."

"No," Minho said, glancing between Minseok and Felicity. "I think we'll just apparate home."

"I'll join you!" Mom said, slipping away from Kibum and hurrying to the Maji-Cab. "We'll see you two in the morning."

Kibum's arm slipped around his waist, which made Minho immediately sling his arm over his shoulders, pulling him closer. "Sounds good." He waved as Mom closed the door to the cab. It zipped away, and Kibum looked up at Minho with an enticing little smile. "Well, that went well."

"Yeah, I think so, too."

Kibum hummed, contented, then went up on his tiptoes to kiss him. "Let's go home."

“Hm, okay, if you insist.”

Kibum sniffed a laugh, then glanced around. “Where’s Jjong?”

“Not sure.” Kibum’s brows pinched together. “He probably just apparated home or something.”

Nodding, Kibum pulled out his phone, presumably shooting Jonghyun a quick text, then stepped back a little so he could twist on the spot and take them back to the Boulevard. Only, instead of taking them just inside their house, they appeared on the sidewalk. Kibum immediately looked up at #26, frowning. “His lights aren’t on.”

“That is odd. There’s no way he’s already asleep.” Kibum let go of Minho’s arm, bringing his phone up to text Jonghyun again as Minho guided him inside. He helped him out of his coat, leaving him to wander upstairs. Minho watched him go for a second before he hung up Kibum’s then his own coat and followed him. Kibum’s back was to the stairs as he was slipping off his suit jacket. “I’m sure he’s alright.”

“Yeah.” He tugged at his tie with a clipped sigh.

Minho sat at the foot of the bed, watching him. “He was getting along with Jinki and Taemin, so maybe they all went out for drinks or something.”

“True.”

It wasn’t until Kibum was halfway through his nightly routine that Jonghyun texted him back. He rushed out of the bathroom, his face covered in a paper mask, and held up his phone at Minho, who was lounging in bed with a book about broom woods and the different qualities they possess. “He’s home, finally.” He tossed his phone to the bed, and it bounced away, nearly onto the floor, but Minho lunged for it. “I can relax now,” he said, heading back into the bathroom.

While he was already distracted from his book, he rolled over to Kibum’s side of the bed, plugging in his phone to charge. Then he stretched before going back to his side, dog-earing the page he left off on and setting his book on the nightstand as the bathroom light flicked off and Kibum came back out.

“Isn’t there a superstition that we shouldn’t see each other before the wedding?” he asked as he crawled into bed.

“Is this your way of telling me you want me to sleep on the couch?”

Kibum grinned as he settled into bed. “I mean...maybe?” Minho gave him a look of disdain before he threw the covers back, but before he could slide out of bed, Kibum snuggled up to him, holding him back. “No, love, I was just kidding.”

“Good.” Minho kissed him, smiling when Kibum did. “How are you feeling?”

“Excited. Nervous, too.”

“Hm, me too.” Minho reached for his wand, flicking it wordlessly and extinguishing the lights around the room, leaving only the enchanted ceiling to cast them in a very faint silvery glow. “Do you think much will change after we’re married? Like, about our lives.”

“I don’t really know. I don’t think our lives will become stagnant if that’s what you’re worried about.”

“Oh, I’m not worried. I’m just wondering.”

Kibum sat up a little, looking over at the darkened stairwell when the patter of paws sounded. He patted his side of the bed, and both of the puppies jumped up, probably curling up on the foot of their bed. His head rested back on Minho’s shoulder as his arm wrapped around Minho’s middle. Minho pressed a kiss into his hair. “It’s sorta hard to believe that it’s finally here. Our wedding.”

“I feel...just so lucky. That I get to spend the rest of my life with you.”

“You should. I’m a delight.”

Minho laid his head back on his pillow, laughing. “God, I love you so much,” he said, and Kibum kissed his bare shoulder.

“I love you, too.”

Sleep came eventually, though they were both restless. Minho woke as Kibum pulled back the curtains, looking out over the overcast day. There was a steaming mug of coffee waiting for him on his nightstand, and he grabbed it, letting it warm his hands as he watched Kibum make his way back to him.

“Should we run over the plan again?” Minho asked as he scooted over to make room for Kibum to sit beside him. “Jjong won’t be here until, like, noon, right?”

Kibum nodded, grabbing Minho’s phone to check the time. “It’s only ten right now, so we have a few hours to kill before then.”

“Minseok said he’ll be here at two, and I’m guessing Mom will come with him.”

“Probably.” He sighed, looking back out the window. “I hope everyone’s traveling goes smoothly.”

“I wish O’Neely would have been able to come. McGonagall, too.”

“Yeah, but, it is in the middle of the school year.”

“I suppose you’re right.”

Kibum rolled his eyes, smiling back at him. "I was thinking about showering before getting ready."

"Is that an invitation?"

"Perhaps."

Minho set aside his coffee, following Kibum to their bathroom. He slipped past Kibum as he started to take off his pajamas to get the water going. Once it was nearly there, he stepped in, shivering a little as he wet his hair and started to lather some shampoo into it.

Kibum joined him just as he was making his sudsy hair into a mohawk. "It's a good look, isn't it?"

"I'll give you a thousand Dragots if you do your hair like that for this afternoon."

Minho's eyebrows shot up as Kibum drew closer to him, his arms wrapping around Minho."Will you really?"

"Sure."

"Hm...so much to think about."

"Don't hurt yourself, love," he said dispassionately as he detached the showerhead.

Minho's laughter filled the small space as Kibum started to rinse the shampoo out of his hair for him. He closed his eyes so they wouldn't sting, but Kibum was careful to keep the shampoo from coming anywhere near them. Kibum pressed closer to him, Minho's hand instinctively going to his hip to steady him, and the showerhead was replaced with its distinct click. His fingers were soon in Minho's hair again, massaging some conditioner into it.

"Are you getting nervous?"

"Mm, not right now. This is too nice. What about you?"

He didn't answer for a second, not until he had finished with the conditioner and reached for their body wash and loofah. "I think…" He squeezed some out as Minho reached around him for the shampoo. "I think I'll only be nervous when you leave with Minseok. I know it's dumb," he said with a laugh as Minho started to shampoo his hair.

"I think it makes sense to be nervous then...Can you imagine if we had decided to not see each other at all today?"

"Merlin...that would have been so much worse."

"Exactly." Minho grabbed the showerhead, starting to return Kibum's earlier favor. "It'll just be like, what, an hour apart? And then we'll be married."

"And then you're stuck with me for good."

"Or bad."

Kibum sniffed a laugh, and Minho pressed a kiss to his wet hair. "I can think of worse things than spending the rest of my life with you."

"For instance?"

Kibum lifted his head as Minho put the showerhead back and reached for the conditioner. "Do you really want me to make a list of things?"

"We've still got…" Minho shook his watchless wrist as if he had one on, looking down at it with a smile when Kibum slapped his arm with a laugh. "...A few hours to call this all off, if you want. So, let's hear it. I'd like to know what I'm up against."

"You're so annoying," he murmured, but he didn't give Minho any time to retaliate before he pressed him back against the shower wall, kissing him.

They stayed in the shower a little while longer, enjoying the warmth and the closeness before they finally decided that they should probably get out and get ready for Jonghyun’s arrival. They came to that conclusion when he banged on the bathroom door, both pulling away from the other in surprise. “Hurry up!” Jonghyun called, sounding slightly miffed. “I swear on Merlin’s beard, if you two are late to your own ing wedding because you were making out in the shower I will -- "

“Late?”

“What ing time is it?” Minho switched off the water and Kibum grabbed one of the towels as he stepped out from behind the curtain, drying off on his way to the door. “It can’t be that late, not yet…” He tossed the towel to Minho so he could quickly change into his pajamas again. “What do you mean late?” Kibum asked, Minho hurriedly covering himself up as Kibum opened the door in search of Jonghyun.

“I mean, I’ve been here for five minutes now, and -- “

“Oh, is that all?”

“Bum,” Minho whispered, staring wide-eyed at the open door. Kibum poked his head back inside. “Can you get me some sort of clothes?” His head disappeared again, only to reappear with a gray mass of something soft. A pair of sweatpants. “No shirt?” he muttered to himself, pulling on the pants so he could join the other two, but they had already made their way downstairs. He rummaged around in their dresser, grabbing the first shirt he found and tugging it on as he hurried to join them downstairs.

“I mean,” Kibum said, his voice greeting him as he turned the corner at the front door and started for the kitchen. “I feel like making out in the shower is a fairly normal occurrence on wedding days.”

“I wouldn’t know.”

“Sorry for keeping you waiting, Jjong,” Minho said as he entered the kitchen, both of them looking up at him as he drew nearer.

“I’m sure I’ll find a way to get over it.” Minho scoffed, and Jonghyun started to smile before he glanced between them. “You still want it to be a fairly short ceremony, right?”

“You can say something to start out...like the usual stuff, nothing too long.”

“I can say my piece about you two after I’ve had a bit of mulled wine.”

“Oh, god.”

Minho patted Kibum’s back, looking across at Jonghyun as he hid his smile by sipping his coffee. “Then the vows, and then Gil and Ana will be signing the license. Right?” he asked, directing the question to Kibum.

“Right.”

“And then everyone will head to the banquet hall at Cigamn until the party is over.”

“Okay, one last question.” Both Kibum and Minho looked at Jonghyun again. “Costumes for the reception are still a no, right? I know you went back and forth on that a bit.”

“Yeah, no.” Kibum leaned back just as Minho pulled his hand away. “I like how our dress robes turned out too much to change out of them.”

“I’m so excited to see how they look.”

“Wait…” Minho glanced over at Jonghyun, an eyebrow raised in question. “You haven’t seen them yet?”

He shook his head. “Kibum’s been keeping them a secret from me since he started working on them.”

“Wow...already keeping secrets.” He shook his head, Minho smiling as Jonghyun started clicking his tongue. “Not a good sign, I’m afraid to say.”

"I've come to terms with it."

Jonghyun ended up hanging out for a while, relaxing with them as much as one could before a wedding. He brought out Unbreakable: A Guide to the Variables of Vows, the book he had gotten to teach himself how to properly perform the Unbreakable Vow for them. In between bouts of lounging around the living room, both he and Kibum checked and double-checked to make sure that they were packed for their honeymoon.

He left them around one o’clock to let Jinki and his family, Taemin, and Sooyoung and Miyoung into Salem Boulevard. A few short minutes later, Mom and Minseok let themselves in.

“Is it already that time?” Minho asked, coming downstairs to greet them. “Perfect timing, I just finished with my hair.”

“It doesn’t look any different,” Minseok said immediately, and Minho punched his shoulder with a laugh as he passed him.

“Let me just go get my robes and we can head out.” Minseok followed him down the hall while Mom started upstairs, assuming correctly that Kibum was up there getting ready. Minho led him into the backroom, finding two black garment bags hanging in the closet there. “Oh, …”

“What?”

“Hey, Bum?” he called out, hopefully loud enough for Kibum to hear him. He appeared with a crack! beside him, toothbrush in hand. “Which one is mine?”

Kibum stepped between him and the garment bags, barely ping one to peer inside. “That one,” he said, pointing to the other once he had zipped it back up.

“Okay...I guess I should head out, then.”

“Or, and hear me out, we just elope.”

Minseok grabbed Minho’s garment bag, then his arm. “I didn’t fly across a ing ocean for you two to elope.” Both of them laughed as Minseok started to drag him away. “Absolutely not.”

“Okay, okay!" He shook Minseok's hand off of him and stepped back toward Kibum. "Just let me say goodbye, then.”

Huffing, Minseok left the room, taking Minho’s robes with him. Minho chuckled as he watched him go, then turned back to Kibum. “I wish you didn’t have to leave,” Kibum said, sighing.

“Well, think about it this way...the sooner I go, the sooner we’re married,” he said, leaning in to kiss him.

“What the are you still doing here, then?” Kibum asked as soon as Minho pulled away.

He laughed, kissed him one last time, and reluctantly released him. Kibum followed him out of the room and down the hall to where Minseok was waiting by the door. “See you in a bit,” Minseok said to Kibum, opening the door and ushering Minho outside before he could get distracted again.

* * * * *

The front door shut loud enough for Kimee to look up from Kibum's photobook. She glanced at the stairwell, waiting for Kibum to appear. It took him a little longer than she expected, but that was explained as he ascended the stairs, his garment bag slung over his arm.

"Does it feel real now?" she asked, smiling at him as he slumped onto the bed.

"Yeah," he said, his voice coming out in a sigh.

She turned her attention back to the book, flipping the page again, glancing through the captured memories. "When was this one taken?"

Kibum pushed himself up, hooking his chin on her shoulder as he looked at the picture she was pointing at.

It was one of Kibum, Minho, and Jonghyun all laying down in the grass. Kibum and Jonghyun were side by side, and Minho's head rested between them. They had clipped a few of Jihyo's roses, Jonghyun and Minho holding them between their teeth and grinning while Kibum had tucked his behind his ear. He muttered something, and Minho's rose fell out of his mouth as he started to laugh, while Jonghyun's face just scrunched up a bit as his grin brightened. Kibum smirked at their reactions, and the scene reset.

"That was right before we went back to school in seventh year. A few days before Minho decided to head back home, if I remember right."

"Ah, okay." Her eyes darted from picture to picture before she turned the page. "You two sure have a lot of memories together." Kibum nodded, his chin digging a little into her shoulder. "You're very lucky."

"Yeah, I know." He sat back, grabbing his garment bag. "Did you think we'd make it this far?" He asked as he slipped into the bathroom, leaving the door half open so they could keep chatting.

"I had no doubt." She closed the book, setting it aside. "I only wish Mom could have been here today."

The door opened a little wider, and Kibum slipped out -- suit donned, hair mussed. "Me too. Dad as well, but...but then he never knew Minho, so."

Kimee stood, walking over to him to fix his bowtie. "Still, I'm sure he would have loved him."

"It's kinda impossible not to," he said with a nervous laugh.

"True." He smiled at her as she brushed his fringe off of his forehead. “I brought portraits of each of them so they can be here today, if only in spirit.”

“Oh, good. I’m glad.” He pulled on the robe he had designed, the gold flecks refracting little dots of light around the room as he moved. “So?” He gestured to himself, looking her way.

“It came out so beautifully,” she said, tears starting to well up in her eyes.

“Please don’t start,” Kibum said, hurrying over to hug her when she laughed. “Because then I will and I’ll look like a mess when we get there.”

“Okay.” She dabbed at her eyes with the sleeve of her dress. “Speaking of, should we head over?” Kibum took a deep breath, then nodded. Kimee followed him downstairs, stepping through the door after he had opened it for her, then slipped her hand around his arm as he started them toward the park.

It was a cool, overcast day. The trees were dressed in their best autumn colors for the occasion. Fallen leaves skittered across the cobblestone on the light breeze as they walked along. Jack-o-lanterns adorned every house, every business they passed. Once they reached the park, the fall foliage was even more vibrant, more welcoming. Kibum led her to the gazebo that she had completely forgotten about since she last lived in Salem Boulevard.

Tiny balls of flickering light hovered between the leaves and vines curling around the beams of the gazebo. Rows of chairs had been arranged within, with an aisle down the center. Minho was standing just outside, transfixed by Kibum as they approached. The quiet din of the gathered guests became even more subdued as Kibum stopped before him. Kimee let go of his arm as he reached forward to smooth out his robes and adjust his already perfectly straightened tie.

“Are you happy with them?” Kibum whispered to Minho, looking away from the green velvet robe and meeting his gaze. Minho nodded and offered his arm, and Kibum smiled and took it.

Music started playing from somewhere, and the two of them turned and made their way down the aisle, Minseok offered Kimee his arm, and she took it, letting herself be led to her seat between the portraits of Mom and Bumji. Kibum and Minho stopped before Jonghyun, joining hands as they looked across at each other, then Minho leaned in when Jonghyun whispered something, and Kibum nodded.

“Friends, family,” Jonghyun said as soon as Minseok had taken his place beside Felicity. “We are gathered here today to celebrate the union of Kibum and Minho. In the many, many years that they have been together, their love for one another has grown and culminated into this -- the decision to get married.

“Some of you here already know the, uh, history of their relationship, but some I know don’t.” Minho covered his face with his free hand, his shoulders moving in silent laughter. “So let me inform you.”

“I said you could say something short,” Kibum said in a loud whisper, and several people in the crowd chuckled.

“It’s not my fault you two were so blind at the start.” Minho leaned forward, whispering something to Kibum, which made him clap his hand on his shoulder and start to laugh. “They met when they were eleven, and when I tell you I got so many letters talking about how great this kid Minho was…" Jonghyun's eyes widened as he let out a dramatic huff of a sigh. "I was a bit sick of it, to be honest. Glad that Kibum had a friend, of course, but then I met the guy. He was just alright.” Minho snorted and Kibum glared at Jonghyun while more of the guests started to laugh. “What did you expect? I’m not the one marrying him.”

Kibum bit his lips, looking up at Minho and slightly shaking his head. “We asked for this,” Minho said, smiling.

He sighed heavily. “We did.”

“And then, I got to see them together. And they were only like, thirteen or something, but I knew then that I’d be standing here someday. Even if they both blatantly refused to see it. No, it was blatant,” he said, cutting Kibum off when it looked like he was about to speak. “Minho literally revealed to me that he had a crush on you and then asked me who you liked.” Kimee joined in when everyone else laughed. “And then eventually, finally they came clean to each other about their feelings for the other, and they’ve been true to each other ever since. Even when they were separated by an ocean.

“They’ve built a life together, and really, despite my joking, I’m honestly honored to be the one you chose to help you in this very important moment in your lives. If I’m not mistaken, you both have written something that you would like to say before the vows.” They both nodded. “So, Kibum, you can go first."

He cleared his throat, letting go of Minho's hand and reaching into his robes to produce a folded bit of parchment.

"I...I'm not sure if you remember this, but in our seventh year, I had to write an essay to be able to get into college."

Kimee gasped and Minho started to smile. "I do remember that."

"I wouldn't let you read it because I was embarrassed, but...I wrote down what I could remember of it and added a few things, so...here goes." He took a deep breath, gave Minho a small smile, and looked down at the parchment. "Love, as I've been lucky enough to come to know it, is infinite. It's given freely, earnestly, consistently, and willingly. It found me when I least expected it. It picks me up when I've fallen, holds me close when the storms of life wage around me. It's patient, humble, and overflowing.

"Love is constant when the world is not. It's gentle, warm, and bright when everything around me is harsh, cold, and dark. I know I can rely on it, even…" -- His voice broke, and Minho kissed his hand as he blinked back tears. -- "Even if I feel like I'm undeserving. To love someone like you is to heal, to dream, and to be.

"You give of yourself, somehow never coming up short. You, my love, are just that. Love itself. And I still can't believe that you can and do love someone like me as much as you do." He let out a watery chuckle, looking up at Minho. "If I could make a request?"

Minho rubbed the tears from his cheeks with his free hand, only for Kibum to reach out and help him a second later. "Anything," he said.

"We've known each other for, what? Sixteen years now?" Minho nodded. "I love you, just the way you are, and I know you feel the same way about me. I'm not going to change, so promise me that you won't either."

Minho laughed, stepping forward to rest his forehead on Kibum's shoulder. For just a second, then he straightened. Looked down at Kibum with a smile. "Yeah, I think I can do that."

Kibum, who had been slipping his parchment back into his pocket, froze. "You think? Or you know? Because if you're not sure…"

Minho laughed again, and Kibum's eyes twinkled as he looked up at him. Jonghyun stepped between them, speaking to the crowd. "Believe it or not, this is actually an improvement on how they used to be before they were dating." The gathered crowd chuckled, then laughter filled the gazebo as Kibum smacked Jonghyun's shoulder. "Okay, Minho, your turn."

"Right."

Minseok stood, digging into his suit pants pocket, stepped out of the row of guests to hand Minho a similar piece of parchment. Still holding onto one of Kibum's hands, Minho took it, unfolded it, and then flipped it upside down. Or, probably, right side up.

"I swear, I didn't take notes from yours," he said in a loud whisper, spurring a rippling chuckle from the onlookers. "I've considered you as a, well, as a refuge for many years now. Someone I could lean on to comfort me, to protect me, to take care of me when...when it felt like no one else would. It took me a while to realize that, and once I did, it was so obvious.

"You're the only home I ever want to come to, the only constant that I want to rely on -- again," he said, looking up with a shy smile when Kibum started to laugh quietly. "I didn't take notes from yours."

"Yeah, I believe you."

Minho shook his head, grinning, then looked back down at his parchment, scanning the script. "You've been by my side for so long that just the thought of life without you to brighten my day with a smile or your laugh or especially your presence, is unbearable.

"Up until now, my life with you has been pure bliss. Honestly, it's hard to believe that it could get any better. But, I think it will, and I can't wait to spend the rest of my life making you as happy as you deserve to be."

Kibum kissed Minho's hand as he looked up from the parchment again.

"Anything else to add?" Jonghyun asked, glancing between them. When they both shook their heads, Jonghyun pulled out his wand. "Keep your hands clasped, please."

He closed his eyes for a second, and by the time he opened them again, it dawned on Kimee what he was about to do. "Merlin's beard," she whispered.

The Unbreakable Vow? Did they not understand what that meant? A few of the others expressed their quiet shock and Kimee sat back in her seat, tears springing to her eyes. What a declaration...of trust in one another. Of their own loyalty. She'd long since known that their love for each other was unwavering, but this...They had to know what this meant before they asked Jonghyun to perform this spell.

They were just that sure of their relationship.

Jonghyun held the tip of his wand over Minho's wrist, dragging it in an arch over to Kibum's wrist as he said, "Minho, you are becoming the husband of Kim Kibum. Do you promise to love, respect, and cherish him, in good times and in bad, in sickness and in health until the end of your days?"

"I do."

There were three glimmering strands of light surrounding their hands now.

"Kibum, you are becoming the husband of Choi Minho. Do you promise to love, respect, and cherish him, in good times and in bad, in sickness and in health until the end of your days?"

"I do."

"May I have the witnesses come forward?"

A couple near the front stood and started for them. It took her a second, but soon Kimee recognized them to be Analecia and Gilbert, a few of Kibum's old school friends she'd seen in his polaroids. Jonghyun produced what she knew to be the marriage license, and they both signed where they were supposed to, then Analecia stepped up to them, both Kibum and Minho leaning in to listen to what she whispered to them.

"Now, after everything you two have put me through and by the power vested in me by the state of New York, I -- finally -- have the honor of pronouncing you husbands together." They beamed at him, her view of them going blurry as her eyes filled with tears again. "I can't believe I have to even say this, but you can kiss each other now."

Cheers and applause for the happy couple filled the gazebo and the copse of trees as Minho gathered Kibum in his arms, kissing him. Sooyoung tapped her shoulder, and Kimee turned to find her handing her a half-used package of portable Kleenex. She thanked her and took the package, blowing her nose with one before pulling out a fresh one to dry her eyes.

Kibum and Minho were hugging by the time she looked back. Her son looked the happiest she'd ever seen him. Kimee's eyes started to well up again as they stepped apart. They raised their joined hands, surveying their guests as they continued to clap for them. Kibum lowered their hands and stepped close to Minho, who tilted his head so Kibum could whisper in his ear. Whatever he said, Minho agreed with him, and together they started back down the aisle, only to disapparate as soon as they reached the edge of the gazebo.

"Uh," Jonghyun said, drawing everyone's attention away from Kibum and Minho's sudden absence. "Let's head over to the reception. I'm sure they'll be there soon."

Kimee gathered up Mom's and Bumji's pictures, holding them close to her as Jonghyun approached her. He offered her his arm, and she readily took it, letting him lead her and the others back to the Cigamn.

* * * * *

Crack!

The puppies immediately started barking in the backroom as Kibum and Minho appeared in the landing, as they were all too familiar with the sound of their dads' arrival via apparition.

For a moment, however, they were ignored.

It took a second for Kibum to orient himself, and just as he did, he was caught up in Minho's arms. Kibum smiled as he wrapped his arms around Minho, beyond content to just embrace him for as long as he wanted. Which, knowing Minho, was quite the commitment.

"We did it," Minho whispered and Kibum started rubbing his back. "We're married, now."

"How long do you think it'll take to set in?"

Minho shook his head, sighing. "Not sure. But we have the rest of our lives to get used to the idea."

Grinning, Kibum pulled back to look at him, then cupped his face and guided him into a kiss. The rest of their lives...what an overwhelming, lovely thought. Some people might find the idea and reality of marriage suffocating, and if he were to be married to anyone else, Kibum might be inclined to agree.

Kibum broke the kiss and leaned back a little, still caressing Minho's cheek with his thumb. "We should probably go let the kids out before they tear the house down."

Minho laughed, kissed him again -- albeit quickly this time -- and released him.

He helped Minho out of his velvet robe before he hurried to the back room, to let the dogs out. Kibum had just slipped out of his glittering robe and hung them both over the back of the kitchen chairs before the puppies came over to him, jumping up excitedly. It took some doing, but they guided them out to the backyard, letting them run free.

"It's gonna be a pain to close them back in there for a few hours," Minho said as he sat beside Kibum on the back porch step.

"They'll be fine." Kibum slipped his arm around Minho's waist, pulling himself closer to him and resting his head on his shoulder. "Besides, Merlin knows Jonghyun is gonna spoil the out of them while we're gone."

Minho chuckled, kissing the top of Kibum's head. "True."

Kibum sighed heavily. "I'm already so tired, I'm not in the mood to go to the reception."

"Yeah, but it'll be nice to go around and see everyone, right? Everyone who is here has been really kind to us over the years."

Kibum nodded, then sighed again. "Let's save Ana and Gil for last."

"Okay."

"Did anyone else from your dorm show up?"

Minho shook his head, and Kibum looked away from him to where the puppies were romping through the squash vines. "I'm glad that Callum and Aaron are here, though. And Arabella! I didn't know they had gotten married already."

"'Already'," Kibum said, laughing.

"What?"

"Babe, we've been out of Hogwarts for nine years. I'd be shocked if anyone else waited this long."

"Okay, in our defense…" Kibum sniffed a laugh, shaking his head. "We've always been a bit slow on the uptake when it comes to relationships."

"It also doesn't help that we couldn't legally get married until last year, so…"

"That…is definitely a factor."

For a second, Kibum thought about asking when Minho would have proposed, if that hadn't been the case. But, he decided against it. Like they had said so many times, they had already basically been married for years now. Today was just a formality and a way to celebrate with everyone they loved.

Speaking of…

"Hey." Kibum clapped his hand on Minho's knee. "We should probably head over soon or people will just, you know, assume that we’re…up to something."

"Oh god," Minho said with a laugh, then called the puppies over.

He had been right, it was quite the chore to get them back in the room. But they did it successfully and as soon as they donned their robes again they set off for the Cigamn.

As the lights of the hotel glimmered just ahead of them in the oncoming night, Kibum pulled Minho to a stop. "What?"

"Promise me you won't smash cake in my face."

Minho's laughter echoed up and down the deserted lane. "Can I expect the same treatment?"

He held out his free hand, nodding for Minho to complete the pinky promise. He did so reluctantly, and then Kibum started them walking again.

The double redwood doors to the Cigamn swung inward as they reached the top step of the landing, letting them inside. Like the ones at Hogwarts, candles hung in the air of their own accord, lighting the lobby. Except, they hung in random formations, similar to chandeliers, with Crystal's suspended between them. Tapestries covered the walls, but before Kibum could really look at them, Minho waved to someone and Kibum looked over, finding Jonghyun pacing before the reception hall.

"There you guys are."

“Sorry,” Minho said as Jonghyun started toward them. “We just wanted to let the dogs out.”

“Have a minute to ourselves before…” Kibum gestured to the doors behind Jonghyun. “You know.”

Jonghyun let off a huff of a sigh, shaking his head. “Well, are you ready now?”

Kibum hummed, looking up at Minho. “I’m not sure. What do you think?”

Minho started to smile, glancing between Kibum and Jonghyun. “I don’t know. Maybe we should go back home and -- “

“No you should not,” he said with a laugh, then turned, the doors to the reception hall opening for him. “Okay everyone,” he said, pressing the tip of his wand to his throat to magnify his voice. “Please join me in welcoming the newlyweds, the Kims!”

Minho's grip on his hand tightened, and Kibum grinned as they followed Jonghyun into the reception hall. The hall had been enchanted to be a meadow, the trees ringing the room dressed in autumn colors. There were tables set up around the room, covered with cream tablecloths, candles, jack-o-lanterns, and leaves and each of them were filled with their guests. The cake was on a table set off to the side of the dance floor and piano, which was playing quiet music of its own accord.

Everyone was smiling at them, waving them in. Applauding. Cheering. Just for them.

"I don't know about you all," Jonghyun said directing them to their seats at the head of the table closest to the dance floor. "But I'm a bit hungry."

Everyone seemed to agree, and as soon as Minho finished helping Kibum into his seat and sat down, their meals appeared on the polished wooden plates set before each of them.

First, there was a light spinach salad with mushrooms and walnuts, then a creamy pumpkin soup with an herb buttered bread to soak it up with. Wooden flagons of mulled wine and frosted mugs of butterbeer and crystal chalices of champagne to wash everything down with. Kibum had decided on the flakey salmon and vegetable pie for his entree, and Minho got the roast chicken and vegetables, but they split their dinners, giving half to the other.

Just when Kibum was about to ask Minho if they should cut the cake now, Jonghyun got up from the table. He took his chalice with him and cleared his throat when he reached the dance floor.

"I just wanted to say a few words." Kibum turned in his seat to look at Jonghyun, Minho's hand resting on his thigh. "I know I made a few jokes during the ceremony, but I...I love the times we've spent together...how careful you were with your feelings for each other. Your patience really paid off, and I'm so unbelievably happy for the both of you."

He stepped back, setting his glass on the closed top of the piano, sending a pointed look to someone beyond them. As if in answer, a chair scooted back, but Kibum couldn't tear his gaze away from Jonghyun.

"Almost nine years ago, the two of you danced to a song I sang, and...even though it's been several years, I'd like to sing it again for your first dance." He smiled at the both of them, his gaze settling on Kibum. "I feel like it's only fitting."

The piano stopped playing on its own, but it didn't stop playing. The song changed, and Kibum glanced there to find Taemin sitting there, watching Jonghyun for his cue.

"Shall we?" Minho asked, patting Kibum's knee before he stood. Held his hand out to him.

Kibum slipped his hand into his and let himself be swept onto the dance floor, just as Jonghyun's familiar voice sweetened the air around them after such a long time. Kibum couldn't help it as his eyes started to well up with tears. He looked up at Minho when he wiped his cheek dry with his free hand. “I didn’t expect to hear him sing again,” Kibum whispered.

“Me neither.”

He closed his eyes as Minho pressed a kiss to his temple.

It didn’t register for a few seconds that the song was over, he only stopped swaying when Minho did. Wasn’t there supposed to be more dancing after this? He’d only been to a few weddings, and none recently, so maybe he was misremembering. Jonghyun gestured over to the cake, and Minho nodded. Together, they made their way over to it.

Now that they were up close, Kibum could really look at it. It was a small cake, covered in black frosting with swirls of blue and purple and smatterings of white...oh, it was the night sky! It was adorned with candles, too, instead of flowers. Tall, thin ivory candles with flames that danced merrily as if Jonghyun was still singing.

Minho blew on the candles, extinguishing most of them, but then they both flapped their hands over the remaining flames until they winked out. He picked up the nearby knife, and Kibum’s hand closed around Minho’s as he started cutting into the top tier, Kibum’s other hand resting above his elbow to guide his hand. Oh, was it a chocolate cake? He definitely couldn’t wait to try that --

Just then, his hand grazed one of the still-warm wax He pulled his hand back with an audible wince -- it didn’t burn him, not really, it was just a definite surprise. Minho, however, continued cutting the cake all the way through. Kibum slapped his shoulder. “Why’d you burn me?”

“What?” Minho asked, laughing. “I didn’t do anything?”

“You led me there!”

Some of their guests started laughing and Minho clicked his tongue, sighing, then wrapped his arm around him and grabbed his hand to inspect it. There was barely even a mark. Even so, He raised their hands, kissing where the wax had touched him. “Better?”

Kibum huffed, which made Minho chuckle, and he picked up the knife to cut them off a little piece. Minho swiped his finger through the frosting when Kibum got it onto a plate, holding out his finger to him. When Kibum looked up at him in confusion, Minho puckered his lips, and Kibum did the same after a second, only for Minho to brush the frosting across his lips.

He it off, blinking. “Oh, it’s butterbeer!”

“Really?”

Nodding, Kibum picked up a chunk of the cake and frosting, holding it out to Minho. He squinted at him as he smiled, then leaned forward and opened his mouth cautiously. His eyes went wide, and before Kibum could ask him if it was good, Minho took the plate from him and broke off a chunk, feeding it to him as well. Somehow...Sarah Sanderson had been able to make the cake taste exactly like Madame Puddifoot’s hot cocoa.

“Holy ,” he said around his mouthful of cake, and Minho nodded as he wiped his fingers off on his napkin. Mom and Sooyoung were there, cutting the cake and portioning it out for everyone to have some, which is how he found out that the second tier was pumpkin pastie flavored. He and Minho returned to their seats with another plate of the second cake, sharing it while everyone else started in on their choice between the two cakes.

“We should probably go around and visit with people, huh?” Kibum asked when the music became a bit jazzier, enough for some of the couples there to take to the dance floor.

“Should we divide and conquer or visit everyone together.”

“Together, I think.”

“Okay.” Minho smiled, setting their empty plate aside then kissing him. “Who do you want to visit first?”

* * * * *

Is there anything more depressing than a wedding?

Jonghyun sighed, his chin resting on his fist, as he watched not only Kibum and Minho make their way around the room, but also Turner and Roselyn dance with the other couples. They had gotten together a few years after he and Pierre did. Which, he wouldn't have thought of the bastard at all today had Turner not come over to catch up with him. To gossip about their former bandmates. To offer his condolences.

He downed the rest of his mulled wine, the flagon refilling itself as soon as he set it down.

Because of course, Turner knew about it. Phillipe probably told him. Not that they were together anymore. Pierre cheated on him, too, apparently.

Whatever. It didn't matter anymore.

He eyed the flagon again, but before he could reach for it, someone plopped down in the chair beside his. Jonghyun squinted, looking over at whoever the ...oh…It was Taemin.

"Uh, thanks for playing for me today."

"Yeah, no problem." Jonghyun edged his flagon closer to him, avoiding Taemin's curious gaze. "Do you want to dance with me?"

"I don't know if I'm in the mood, sorry."

"That's okay." The chair creaked as Taemin sat back, his arms crossing as he glanced around the room. "I don't think there are any other single people here, so I'll just hang out with you."

"I mean. There's my boss. He's single."

"Oh?"

Jonghyun nodded to where Crow was sitting. Well, actually, now that he was looking his way, he found him with Ms. Whitby…wait, were they a couple?

"I meant our age," Taemin said, letting out his cute little laugh.

"That's on you. You should have specified."

"My bad."

He glanced at his wine again, following the flecks of spices as they swirled around, then back at Taemin. He was watching the dance floor rather longingly. Jonghyun sighed, closing his eyes for a second. "Do you still want to dance?" Taemin grinned and hopped out of his seat. "Just warning you, I've never really danced before."

"Don't worry about that," Taemin said as he led him out onto the crowded dance floor. "I've danced plenty for the both of us. Just follow my lead." Jonghyun rested his hand on Taemin’s shoulder when he lifted it there, his brow furrowing as Taemin pulled him closer before they started gliding along to the music.

It was very strange. Dancing. He was so used to seeing other people do it, given the events and Yule balls Nebulous Stardust had performed at. But the actual...act of doing it was odd. Taemin, however, was clearly made for it. It seemed like the most natural thing in the world for him to dance. Jonghyun was so caught up in trying to follow his steps that he almost didn’t register that Taemin asked him a question.

“What? Sorry.”

Taemin shook his head. “Are there communities like this in Korea? For, like, wizards?”

Jonghyun nodded. “We lived in one, my family and I did, until my dad wanted to move back to England. He was from there.”

“England? I thought you were in France.”

He chuckled. “Yeah, well, that’s what happens when your dad cheats on your mom with a French witch and they get divorced.” Taemin’s eyes widened. “Yeah, my dad is a piece of ,” he said with a laugh. “But anyway...Are you gonna be looking for wizards back home, now?”

Taemin grinned, then shrugged and looked away. “Maybe.”

“We’re kinda elusive, so, good luck with that.”

Taemin sniffed a laugh, then after a minute asked, “Do you think you’d ever want to go back to Korea?”

Jonghyun hummed thoughtfully. “I don’t really know. Haven’t thought too much about it.” Taemin nodded, his brow pinching in for a second. “Why do you ask?”

“Just wondering.”

But it wasn’t an innocent question. Of that, Jonghyun was sure. He watched him curiously, but Taemin didn’t seem to want to meet his gaze until the song ended. “When do you leave tomorrow?” Jonghyun asked as he slipped out of Taemin’s arms and together, they walked back to the table Jonghyun had been sitting at.

“My flight is at eight in the morning…” Taemin sighed, still avoiding Jonghyun’s eyes. “So, I should probably head back to my hotel now.”

Jonghyun felt in his pockets for his wand, finding it inside his robe. “I can walk you to the exit?”

He glanced around the room, finding Minho and Kibum before his eyes finally met Jonghyun’s. “Are you sure?” When he nodded, Taemin started backing away. “Let me go said goodbye real quick and I’ll be right back.” He darted away, interrupting Minho and Kibum when they were chatting with Jinki. He hugged Minho and shook Kibum’s hand before he ran back to where Jonghyun stood waiting. “Okay, let’s go.”

The cold night air greeted them, the chill cutting through them as the doors to the Cigamn closed noiselessly behind them. Jonghyun pulled his robe a little tighter around him, hoping it would keep at least a little of the breeze out. “It’s this way,” he said, gesturing down the lamplit street toward the Center. Taemin followed him, falling into step beside him. Jonghyun glanced his way, finding his face slightly screwed up. Clearly in concentration. “Um, again, I just wanted to say thank you. Singing was such a big part of my life for so long, it...it was nice to get to do it again. Even if it were only for one night.”

Taemin looked up at him, his eyes searching his expression in the lamplight. “Just one night?”

Shrugging, Jonghyun smiled ruefully. “I can’t really see many opportunities cropping up.”

“You have such a nice voice, though. It’d be a shame if you never sang again.”

Slowly, Jonghyun looked Taemin’s way, stopping on the steps of the Center. “You really think so?”

He nodded, his brow furrowing a little as he stepped closer to Jonghyun. “Look, this is probably weird, but...but I know I’ll regret it if I don’t...if I keep it to myself.” He gulped. Took a deep breath. Jonghyun stepped down, eye level with him now. “I had a crush on you. Ever since that day you played video games with me. That’s why I took French.” Jonghyun’s eyebrows shot up as he started to smile, unable to help himself. “And now that I’ve finally met you?” He shook his head, huffing a sigh. “It’s all coming back to me, and…” He glanced up at the Center looming above them, but Jonghyun couldn’t look away from him. “I know I have to leave, and I know you have to perform the memory whatever, but…” He looked back at Jonghyun then, his eyes searching his again. “I don’t want to forget you, now that I’ve finally found you.”

“Taemin -- “

“No, it’s okay, you don’t have to try to make me feel better. I probably shouldn’t have said anything.”

Jonghyun sighed, smiling still. “I think it’s cute. And, well, I can’t deny that I’ve felt drawn to you, but we live such different lives.” He glanced down at Taemin’s lips as he stepped closer to him. “I just don’t know if anything between us could ever work.”

“I mean, I’m willing to try if you are.”

“That’s quite the commitment for someone you’ve just met.”

Taemin shrugged, smiling shyly as his gaze dipped down to Jonghyun’s lips, then back up again. The lamplight flickered in his eyes, seemingly drawing Jonghyun in. It’d been too long since he’d been kissed, so what could it hurt? What was one kiss, in the grand scheme of things? He searched Taemin’s gaze, wondering if, hoping that this wasn’t a mistake before he reached for him.

His thumb caressed his cheek as he guided him into a kiss.

Just one.

But the one turned into another, then several.

And then, the thought of Taemin leaving the Boulevard was completely forgotten.

* * * * *

"It would have been awesome if you had been one of the Harpies, then we would have been able to meet sooner!" Mercy said, sidling up next to Arabella.

"Oh, no, my Quidditch days are far behind me," she said, laughing as she leaned into Aaron's side. "I do remember your team coming to England, though. I wrote a bit about it in the Daily Prophet. Quite impressive."

Kibum sighed, repressing the urge to roll his eyes. He could tolerate Quidditch talk if it were Minho doing the talking, but since he was mainly just listening… Kibum glanced around the room, finding Ana sitting at one of the tables, cutting up bites of cake for her daughters.

"Hey." Minho turned toward him at the sound of his voice, then bent a little so Kibum could whisper in his ear. "I think I'm gonna go sit with Ana."

"Do you want me to come with?"

Kibum shook his head, gesturing to the group of his old teammates and their old classmates. "Have fun." Then, after he kissed his cheek, Kibum slipped away, gathering up his robes before plopping into the seat across from Analecia.

"They're talking about Quidditch, aren't they," she said, without a hint of a question in her voice.

"However did you guess?"

She sniffed a laugh, looking away from Morgause, her eldest, who was soundly refusing to eat any of the pumpkin mousse filling. Morgana, her sister, was not waiting for Analecia to cut up the cake for her to eat. She was just grabbing fistfuls of it, some of the hot chocolate cake somehow clumping in her hair. She grinned toothlessly at Kibum, and he smiled back at her.

"She kinda looks like Gil, doesn't she? In the eyes."

"And the cake in her hair." She laughed when Kibum did, then dropped the fork with a quiet huff. "Did you want to go play with Winnie again?" She nodded eagerly, her limp black curls bobbing, and Ana helped Morgause out of her chair, then watched her run back to where Winifred and Jiseok were playing together.

"So many kids here," Kibum said absently, watching his niece.

"Is that weird for you?"

"What?" He looked away from Winifred, meeting Analecia's gaze. "Why would that be weird?" She gave him her all too familiar you've-gotta-be-ing-kidding-me look, and he shook his head. "I don't hate kids, Ana...I'm just...apprehensive."

"Right."

She flicked her wand wordlessly at Morgana. A light blast of wind blew the cake from her face and hair. Evidently, it tickled, given that she started giggling. Smiling now, she picked her up and held her in her lap so she could watch her sister play with the other kids. Well, actually, Gil was walking over to her now, scooping her up and tickling her, which made her burst out in a fit of giggles.

Minho was right behind him, stomping after Winifred and Jiseok before picking them both up and swinging them around.

Kibum felt himself smile faintly. He would be a good dad, of that Kibum had no doubt. Maybe, just maybe, some of his goodness would rub off on him. Maybe it wasn't such a bad idea after all.

No, he couldn't do that. He couldn't change his mind now, not after everything.

And yet.

Yes, he was still apprehensive. That probably wouldn't go away for a long while. If ever. But...but now that he was thinking about it…

"Kibum," Analecia's voice cut through his thoughts and he blinked, looking away from Minho. "Is everything okay?"

"Mm, yeah." He cleared his throat, his gaze trailing back to Minho. "Just really tired, I think." Her eyebrow raised as she inspected him. Even their years apart and the distance between them hadn't diminished her ability to see right through him. He sighed, leaning forward. "Is it crazy for me to even think about changing my mind?"

"About..?"

"Adopting."

Her eyes widened for a second. "Are you serious?" He nodded and she turned toward him, Morgana gurgling as her big brown eyes found his. "How long have you -- "

"Like it just hit me. Just now."

She sighed, looking back at their husbands. While she was distracted, Kibum extended his finger for Morgana to latch onto with her pudgy little hand. Her nails were biting into his skin when Ana returned her attention to him. "If I were you, I'd wait to mention anything. Like, until you were really, really, sure."

"Right, yeah."

"Because anything else would just be cruel to him."

"I know."

She reached out, her hand closing over Kibum's free hand and squeezing it a little. "For what it's worth, I think you'd be an amazing dad. Both of you would be."

Kibum glanced Minho's way, finding him trying to figure out a way to pick up Dominic too, despite his arms being full. "I know he would be, for sure."

"Don't discount yourself, Kibum. You would...or will, be a great father." Kibum's gaze flicked to meet her's. "I know you like to act tough sometimes, but you're just a giant softie."

Kibum gasped in false affrontation."Excuse me, I'm a Slytherin. I have a reputation to uphold."

She threw her head back, laughing. "Hon, we both married Hufflepuffs, that's as soft as you can get."

True, he couldn't deny that.

The party started to wind down soon. The kids were getting tired, especially since all of them were from vastly different time zones. So, one by one, the families started leaving, each of them dropping by to say goodbye and to wish their congratulations to Kibum and Minho, who had come to sit beside him after Winifred had started crying for Felicity.

Soon, all that was left was them and Mom, who hugged them both and wished them a safe trip on their honeymoon before they left the Cigamn. Kibum's teeth immediately started chattering as they stepped outside, and Minho pulled him close, kissing his temple before they started home.

"I gotta say," Kibum said, slumping against their front door as soon as they were inside. "I wasn't expecting to feel so tired."

"Well, it's been a long day, hasn't it?"

"Why would you use reason against me right now."

Minho sniffed a laugh, then leaned in to kiss him softly. Lazily. Very sleepily. "Go ahead and head up, I'll let the dogs out."

"Here, wait," Kibum said, pushing away from the door and helping Minho out of his robe before letting him head down the hall.

He was halfway up the stairs before he realized that he had forgotten to take off his shoes. He paused to toe them off before he kicked them off, letting them clunk down the stairs. Then he turned and continued up to their bedroom, hanging up Minho's robe before he took off his own.

He loosened his tie, tossing it aside, and shed his suit coat with a sigh. Could he even be bothered to take the rest of his clothes off? He wasn't sure. Somehow, he managed to take off his pants before he trudged into the bathroom to brush his teeth.

The scurry of little feet sounded on the stairs before Minho's heavy footfalls did, but it was Minho that he saw first. Still fully dressed, his eyes drooping with exhaustion as he came up behind him, wrapping his arms around him and burying his face in Kibum's neck.

He murmured something, his deep voice vibrating pleasantly. Kibum smiled, then stopped brushing his teeth to spit out his toothpaste. "You're so clingy when you're tired."

He kept his eyes on the top of Minho's head, his eyebrows raising in amusement when he lifted his head, resting his chin on Kibum's shoulder. "So? You like it."

Instead of answering, Kibum replaced his toothbrush in the cup by the sink, kissed his cheek, and slipped out of his arms. He came back into the bedroom, ing his dress shirt and tossing it into the hamper. "Hi, babies," he said as he approached the bed, both of their dogs perched on the edge, their tails wagging excitedly as he drew near.

He held his arms out for them as soon as he was tucked into bed, welcoming their affectionate until they finally settled down long enough to curl up beside them. Kibum petted them both interchangeably as he watched the bathroom doorway, waiting for Minho to reappear. When he did, he had mostly changed out of his suit, too, save for the dress shirt. But it was seemingly too late, given that he collapsed across the food of the bed.

Both Comme Des and Garcons were up in an instant to bombard him with affection, too. Eventually, Minho pulled himself up enough to crawl under the covers.

"Uh, uh," Kibum told the puppies when they tried to come between them. "It's my turn, now."

Minho sniffed a tired laugh as Kibum snuggled up beside him. "Has it settled in for you yet?" he asked after he extinguished the light with a flick of his wand.

"What?"

"That we're married."

Kibum shook his head, then froze. "It shouldn't take too long, I don't think."

"I don't think so either."

"I guess we'll have to wait and see."

Minho hummed, and just from that, Kibum could tell that he was smiling. "Either way," Minho said, his arms wrapping just a little tighter around him. "I'm looking forward to it."

Kibum grinned.

* * * * * * * * * *

- November 1, 2018 -

In all the mornings they had spent together since moving in together, Minho could probably count on one hand the number of times he had awoken to find Kibum still in bed with him. Well, five times was a bit of a low, exaggerated number, but even so, it wasn't often. Kibum was too much of a morning person compared to him, that he liked to be up and about before Minho had even started to stir.

Which was why it was such a surprise for him to wake up to find Kibum still curled beside him. He raised his hand to rub the sleep from his eyes, smiling sleepily when Kibum shifted beside him, looking his way.

"Good morning, Mr. Kim."

Minho's smile grew and Kibum scooted up to kiss him, lingering there. “Good morning to you, too.”

Kibum kissed him again, Minho’s brain waking up more and more by the second. “What do you say to starting the honeymoon a bit early?”

Minho’s brow furrowed and Kibum sat up, toying with the buttons of Minho’s very wrinkled dress shirt that he hadn’t taken off last night. “But our portkey doesn’t work until ten...What time is it?” He sniffed a laugh, which only confused Minho further. Until, that is, he undid the first button of his dress shirt.

Oh.

Grinning, Minho hurried to help him.

Time seemed to move a bit too fast, as it so often did. So fast, in fact, that they had to rush through their shower to get Comme Des and Garcons to Jonghyun’s in time before their portkey was ready for them to use.

Kibum rapped on the door again, shifting back and forth while he waited for Jonghyun to answer the door. “We could just apparate in,” Minho said, looking down at the box of supplies for the puppies they had gathered in the rush to get ready to head out.

“Not this time. Not with the kids.” He knocked again, louder this time.

“Maybe we should text him?” Minho was about to say, but then the door swung open. Only, it wasn’t Jonghyun.

“Oh, hi guys!” Taemin said brightly. Minho’s eyes went wide, unblinking. Kibum let go of the puppies’ leashes when they tugged on them, both scampering inside Jonghyun’s home. “Oh, are these your dogs? Jonghyun mentioned something about looking after them while you’re gone.”

“Uh, yeah.”

Minho wordlessly passed him the box of supplies, and Taemin smiled at them. “I hope you have a good trip!” he said, then closed the door.

Both Minho and Kibum stared at the red-painted door, Kibum’s hand flying to his arm when Minho stepped up to knock again. To get some sort of explanation. “There’s no time, love. We have to go.”

Reluctantly, Minho turned away from Jonghyun’s door, following Kibum back home. After double-checking that they had everything they needed, Kibum charmed one of his smaller bags with the Extension Charm, and they packed all of their luggage inside.

“Is there anything we’re forgetting?” Kibum asked, looking around the living room.

“I don’t think so.”

Their port key, an old shoe that Garcons had started to chew on until Kibum stopped him, started to glow blue. Kibum grabbed his hand, and Minho reached forward to touch the shoe as Kibum did, the magic sweeping them away.