I Wanna Be

By My Side

The engine of Dad's Prius purred quietly as Minho shifted into park. Ordinarily, he wouldn't have been able to hear it, but right now...right now he was just trying to focus on anything but what he was about to do. He should probably go to the door. Joohyun was probably waiting for him to her to the car. That's how it worked, right? Maybe he should have watched more romance dramas...then he'd know what to do.

Though, granted, the guys tended to be s for a majority of the drama, so maybe not.

Not that it mattered in the first place.

He glanced at his phone, picking it up and sighing forlornly when he found that Kibum hadn't texted him. Probably went back to sleep. Minho checked the time, but he couldn't focus long enough to do time-difference math. Not when the door to the Bae residence burst open and Joohyun stormed toward the car.

"Oh, --" Minho fumbled with his seatbelt, but before he could open his door to be a gentleman and get her door for her, she already let herself inside, her burning eyes avoiding looking his way. "Uh, hey…"

It took her a second, but she eventually greeted him in return.

Minho blinked hard, slowly buckling himself. Just...act like she's Analecia... he told himself as he shifted the car into gear and started down the road again.

"Where do you want to go?" He looked her way when she didn't answer right away again, doing a double-take when he found her on the verge of tears. His brow knit together and he searched for a place to park. "What's the matter?" he asked after he had pulled over to the side of the road.

She shook her head, turning away to look at the bush on the side of the road obstructing their view. She raised her hand, brushing away a tear.

"Do you not want to be here?" Once again, there was no response. "I don't know if it'll make you feel any better, but I don't want to be here either."

Joohyun let out a choked laugh as she wiped her eyes again, then finally looked his way. "Really?"

He nodded with a small smile. "I...I've already got someone. My parents don't know." Her eyebrows shot up, and she searched his expression, her curiosity obvious. "So, we can just go out as friends. No expectations whatsoever. I don't care what we do."

She sniffed, drying her nose with her sleeve. "Okay."

He shifted into gear, starting again. "Also, I really don't have a clue what to do, so anything goes."

"Anything?"

"I mean," he chuckled, glancing her way when he braked at a red light. "I'm not taking you to Jeju, but--"

She laughed, leaning against the car door as she turned toward him. "Seoul?"

He looked back at the gas meter, shrugging. "Sure."

"What? Really?" He grinned, nodding, and she smiled for the first time since meeting him all those months ago.

"Wanna head anywhere in particular?" She started to speak but glanced his way, snapping shut when she found him watching her. "Really, I'm okay with anywhere. I don't care."

Anywhere turned out to be Gwangjang Market, a covered market on the other side of the Han River. After it had been established that neither of them wanted to be there, the atmosphere in the car relaxed considerably. They blared the radio as twilight set in, Joohyun singing along to the songs that played, while Minho just hummed until he found one he recognized.

They had to park a little ways away, where the streets were quieter now that the city was alive with nightlife. Minho glanced around as he locked the car, taking some mental notes of where they were at when he froze, his eyes widening.

A gay bar?

Or, at least, he assumed so, given the small rainbow flag sticker pasted on the window front across the street. Blinds obstructed his view of the interior, but some of the neon light seeped through the minuscule cracks between them.

“Hey!” Joohyun called out to him, and Minho turned. “You coming?”

“Y-yeah.” He cast one last glance at the bar before he jogged over to where she was waiting for him on the sidewalk.

The streets were lined with Halloween decorations, orange and purple and green lights strung across the road. There were some people dressed up for the occasion, since it was Halloween night, after all, and most of them were already well on their way to being drunk. Minho sniffed a laugh as he watched one particularly inebriated guy stumble into a wall, then offered his arm to Joohyun, just in case she wanted to keep him close.

She took it, her hand slipping loosely around his arm. An ache panged his heart when he remembered just how often Kibum used to do that...and that he had forgotten how it felt.

He cleared his throat, holding his arm out as Joohyun stepped away--still clinging to him--to press the crosswalk button. What did he even say to her? Did they have anything in common? Well, regardless, at least tonight wouldn't be a total bust for her, given that she didn't want to be here either.

Speaking of, it was probably strange to be what was suppose to be a date and neither of them talking to each other. Minho let out an awkward cough as he glanced around at the other waiting to cross the busy street before he let his gaze fall to her.

"So...do you like Halloween?"

The Walk Now light flicked on, and Minho stepped forward, Joohyun falling into step beside him. "Yes? It used to be my favorite holiday as a kid."

"Oh?" Minho's eyebrows shot up as he shot her a curious glance. "Not Christmas?"

Her eyebrow quirked up as she started to smile. "I mean, it's okay, as holidays go."

"What was your favorite costume you ever dressed up in?"

"Oh god, I don't think you want me to get into that."

"Why not?"

She laughed, the sound drowned out as soon as they stepped into Gwangjang Market. "My mother was very elaborate with them. She used to be a stage make-up artist, so…"

Minho bit back a response that included him gushing about how talented his boyfriend was at costume designing on actual Broadway. He glanced at the first booth to his right--a man and who he assumed was his daughter selling tteokbokki. "Want some?"

She followed his gaze, nodded enthusiastically, and he bought them each a serving as well as a pouch of pomegranate juice. They ate as they milled about and she talked about her different costumes, which then led to old school stories. Minho, thanks to his parents, was able to give a natural-sounding edited version of some of the more fun times at Hogwarts.

"Are you still in touch with Kibum?" She asked, stopping to inspect a jewelry stand.

Minho stopped beside her, leaning over to look at the couple's rings. "Yeah, we talk every day," he said as casually as he could manage. Hopefully, she wouldn't be able to tell...but then she didn't seem to be paying him much mind.

He leaned a little closer to her, his attention caught by a pair of rings. One silver, one gold. A little groove was carved into the center of each of them.

"Can I help you?" the motherly woman behind the display asked, his kind gaze shifting between them as Minho looked up. "Looking for anything in particular?"

"Hello," Minho said, bowing slightly to her before he pointed at the rings. "How much are those?"

She reached for the pair of rings, checking the price tag tied to the silver one. “₩115,000.”

Minho’s eyebrows shot up. That wasn’t too dreadful of a price, not with the wages he'd been earning since he started working as a caddy at Jack Nicklaus. Besides. They were way overdue for couples’ rings...but then would Kibum even be interested?

That was a dumb question. Of course, he would.

He dug in his pocket for his wallet, making sure he had enough cash for it before he handed it over to her. The saleswoman bowed to him before she passed him the rings. Minho was about to pocket the box when she asked, “Well, aren’t you two going to put them on?”

Minho looked back at the woman, his eyes widening slightly. It was only natural that she’d assume that he and...Joohyun were a couple, but…

“Right.” He gulped as he took them back out of his pocket. Joohyun let out a clipped sigh, holding out her right hand as Minho picked up the gold ring, slipping it onto her ring finger. He forced a smile as he put the silver ring on himself, thanked her again, and held out his arm to Joohyun as they turned away.

At least Joohyun knew that it meant nothing. This was especially confirmed when as soon as their back was turned, she slipped the ring off and passed it back to them as they made their way through the crowd on their way outside.

“Sorry,” he said as he tucked the ring back into his pocket. “I’m sure that was weird.”

She patted his arm. “It’s okay.”

They stopped at the crosswalk with the crowd, but only for a few seconds, walking when the others did. “Do you want to head home now? Or do you want to get a drink to try to forget that our parents set us up?”

Joohyun laughed hard enough to stop walking, and Minho turned to smile at her until she started again. “That sounds great, actually. I think I saw a bar close to where we parked.”

That was probably because there were a lot of bars on that street. “Lead the way.”

Her pace quickened slightly, somewhere between a brisk walk and a jog, and to Minho’s surprise, she led him directly to Shortbus, the gay bar that had caught his attention earlier. Before he could ask if she was sure, she had already released his arm and pushed the door open. Minho followed her inside, looking around with wide eyes.

It was a cozy little bar--a more neon version of Madam Puddifoots, if she had added an expansion off the cafe. Definitely a bar and not a tea shop, though. It was almost strange to see exclusively same- couples sitting around the room...so casually… Judging by the glares he was getting, he was either staring too openly or they didn’t like the fact that he was here with Joohyun. Minho blinked, averting his eyes, and turned to find that Joohyun had left his side and was already at the bar ordering herself a cocktail of some kind.

“Are you two together?” the bartender asked, his voice barely polite.

“No,” Joohyun said, grabbing her drink and glancing over at a small cluster of women.

The bartender glanced up at Minho in question, and Minho answered with a shake of his head. “It’s okay,” he said, nodding to the group of women when Joohyun looked up at him. “Go on.”

“You’re sure?” Minho nodded, smiling when she immediately turned to make her way over to them.

“Just a water, for me, please,” he said to the bartender, who nodded and reached for a glass. Minho reached into his pocket, pulling out his cellphone and going to his and Kibum’s messages.

[10:49 pm]

I think my parents set me up

with a lesbian ㅋㅋㅋ

He set his phone down on the bar, thanking the bartender for the water before his phone vibrated.

ㅋㅋ what makes you say that?

Minho glanced up, finding Joohyun again. She was sidling up to an assumedly beautiful woman who was dressed like Sailor Jupiter, watching her write something on what looked like a napkin.

Well...she took me to a gay bar and

I think she’s getting a girl’s number

right now

Good for her

So how's your day so far?

Well, you know

Someone stepped up beside where he was leaning against the bar, their arm brushing against Minho's. "Gin and tonic, with a twist," he said, and Minho scooted over a bit so he wasn't in the man's way, bringing his half-drunk water with him. "Can I freshen that up for you?"

Minho glanced over at the man, searching his gaze. The guy looked like he had just walked out of a billion won business deal with a suit that sharp. Every single hair painstakingly in place. A spicy cologne wafted toward Minho as he scooted a little closer.

Minho cleared his throat, gripping his glass of water a little tighter. "I'm good, thank you." Kibum continued to text him, his phone vibrating almost non-stop in his other hand. He would check to see what he was saying, but he didn't want to be rude to the gentleman.

Kibum texted him again; Minho held back the urge to laugh.

He slid a closer still to Minho, not noticing that he leaned back a little further. "So...what's a guy like you doing here all by yourself?"

"I'm here with a friend, actually." He glanced around, catching a glimpse of Joohyun who was dancing with Sailor Jupiter now.

"No boyfriend?"

As if on cue, Kibum texted. Yet again. Minho smiled. "He's in the States." The man's gaze slipped down to his lips, then up to his eyes, and back down again. "I'm flattered, really, but I'm not--"

"That's really far away." Wow. So observant. Gold star for you. "You must be quite lonely… I'm sure what he won't know won't hurt him."

Minho's eyebrow shot up, and he inspected the man, who started to smile. "Yeah?" He nodded, stepping uncomfortably closer. "Let's find out."

"What?" He started to ask, but Minho had already dialed Kibum's number and lifted his phone to his ear.

"Hey, my love, what's up?" Kibum asked, sounding quite chipper and painfully adorable.

"Nothing much." The man's brow furrowed as Minho's smile grew. "Just thinking about you."

"How the is that nothing much?"

Minho chuckled, his gaze trailing after the man as he took his drink and left in a huff. He gave his back a sarcastic wave before he looked over at the bartender, who grinned when he winked. "It's not, sweetheart. Are you busy right now?" he asked, pushing away from the bar and heading for the door so he could talk to Kibum in relative peace.

"Yeah, I am, actually."

"Oh?" He stopped in his tracks. "Do I need to let you go?"

"Busy talking to you." He said it so cutely that Minho cringed into a laugh as he kept heading to the door. "Hey," Kibum said, his smile very evident in his voice. "You started it."

"I did."

A rush of cool night air greeted him as he stepped outside, and only then did he notice how muggy it had been inside the bar. He took a deep breath of it, closing his eyes for a second as he started aimlessly walking down the sidewalk.

"Your date must be going great if you're calling me."

"Absolutely spiffing," he said in his best Slughorn impression, which started Kibum cackling.

He sighed, still laughing. "Thanks a lot, Min. You just made a lady look at me weird in Party City. Ma'am!" he called out, still speaking Korean. "I can't help it if my boyfriend is hilarious on rare occasions!"

"It's not that rare..." Minho his teeth, rolling his eyes with a smile when Kibum scoffed. "Yeah, some guy hit on me, that's why I called you."

Something clattered on Kibum's end of the line, and Minho's eyebrows shot up in surprise at the noise. "Let me talk to him."

"He's long gone, don't worry."

"What happened?" Minho explained quickly, turning back around at the corner and glancing up at the street light as it flickered. "Ugh, I hate it when guys are like that."

Minho stopped walking, blinking rapidly. "Wait, this has happened to you, too?"

"Loads of times."

Minho's attention darted across the street to the trio of drunk guys catcalling a woman walking briskly past them. He shook his head, keeping his eye on them as he started walking again. "Why haven’t you told me about this before?"

"I didn't think it was too important. It's not like they stand a chance, anyway," he added with a laugh.

Minho smiled to himself, looking down at the sidewalk and kicking a pebble down the street. "What do you say to them?"

"That my boyfriend is a Marine and he'll beat them up if they don’t leave me alone." Minho scoffed. "Hey, I'm not lying, right?"

Minho shrugged, nodding until he remembered that Kibum couldn't see him. "I guess, though you know I’d rather not fight.”

“Yeah, but they don’t need to know that.”

“True…What do you do if they don't leave you alone?"

"Confund them."

Minho let out a loud laugh--it echoed down the street, drawing the attention of the drunk guys for a second. "I love you so much."

"Yeah? Well, you should."

"This is the first time I've had to deal with it, so--"

"What? Really? You can't be serious."

Minho's brow furrowed as he laughed, slightly confused. "Why would I lie, Bum?"

“It just doesn’t make sense, that’s all…”

Minho hummed thoughtfully, turning back around once he reached the other street corner. “You’re still planning on going to that party at work tonight, right?”

"Yes! I can't wait!" Minho smiled into a forlorn sigh. He'd give anything to be able to see his excitement in real life. "Charlie, the makeup artist from work I told you about--"

"Right, I remember her."

"Yeah, she's gonna help me with getting the Joker look just right."

"Were you able to finish your costume?"

"Yup! I did yesterday. Though...now…"

"Hm?"

Kibum laughed, almost dismissively. "No it's dumb…I was thinking about adding some sequins to the jacket, but I won't. That'll take too much time."

“It’d just take a flick of your wand, probably.”

“Eh...it’s a bit more complicated than that. Besides, Madam Roucheoux still wants me to do most everything by hand.”

“I still don’t get that.”

Kibum let out an exasperated sigh. “Me neither, but she says it’ll be good for me. Oh! There they are!”

“What?”

“The streamers Nicole wanted me to get.”

Minho glanced at the door to Shortbus as he passed it again. “How long will you two keep the decorations up this time?”

“No clue. I’ll probably have Hallowmas again this year.”

“Is she--”

“She’s heading home for the holidays, anyway, so it’ll just be me in the dorms…”

Minho sighed, pouting. “I’m sorry, that .”

“I’ll get over it. Eventually.” He laughed again, the sound stabbing Minho in the chest with immeasurable longing.

“Minho?” His eyebrows rose as he turned back around to find Joohyun poking her head out of Shortbus.

“Over here!” he said, waving until she looked his way. “Hey, I think I’m gonna have to go.”

“Lame, but whatever.” Minho snorted, smiling as he made his way back to Joohyun. “I have to check out soon, anyway...although...I’d much rather be checking you out.”

“Oh my god.”

Kibum cackled again as Minho covered his eyes with his free hand, grinning as he shook his head. “What? It’s the truth.”

“You’re so dumb.”

“Thank you. Let me know when you get home?”

“I will. Love you!”

“Love you, too! Bye!”

“Bye!” he said as he pulled the phone away from his ear, hanging it up just as he reached Joohyun. “Are you ready to go?” She nodded, blinking lethargically as she fell into step beside him. “Are you drunk?” he asked, half-laughing.

She shrugged, glancing up at him with a sleepy smile. “Not sure yet.”

Grinning, Minho glanced both ways before he stepped into the street. To his surprise, Joohyun’s hand slipped around his forearm, gripping it tighter than she had any time before that evening. It was then that he noticed the whistling. He looked around, finding the drunk guys he had noticed before watching her, one of them even breaking away to follow after the two of them.

Minho dug around in his pocket, searching in vain for his set of keys to Dad’s Prius as they drew nearer to the car.

“Come on, sweetheart, stick around a while longer,” he said with a sing-song lilt, his voice just behind them now. Minho pulled out his keys, lengthening his stride so they would reach the car quicker. “Don’t waste your time with this f--”

Joohyun whirled around just as they reached the car. “ off. Leave me alone.”

“Come on, baby.” He gave her a simpering smile, Minho stepping between them as he moved closer to her. “I can show you a good time, trust me.”

Minho put his hand out, nearly touching the man’s shoulder. “Hey, she said no. She’s not interested.”

“Minho, let’s just go.”

He watched the man as he huffed angrily, turning back to look at Shortbus across the street as his friends approached, albeit slowly. “You’re not a dyke, are you?” She tugged on his sleeve, and Minho started to turn around to make sure she made it safely in the car. “It’d be a ing shame if you were, baby. You’re way too pretty for that.”

Minho gritted his teeth as he went to open the door for her when the man reached around, petting at her hair before he grabbed her shoulder. She flinched away, letting out a strangled scream just as Minho grabbed his arm, twisting it around until he could press it into his back. “She said to leave her alone,” he said in the man’s ear before he released him, shoving him into the deserted street. He found his keys again, passing them to Joohyun. “Get inside and lock it until they leave.”

“But--” she started to say, then hurried to do what he said when the first man started lumbering toward them again.

He gulped when the door slammed shut and the lock clicked. Merlin’s beard, what he’d give to have his wand right now. Wandless magic was a thing, but he probably missed that lesson because of some Tournament bull. His hands tightened into fists just as there was a flicker of movement to his left.

Hands gripped his shoulder with a bruising force, and then he was scrambling to brace himself before he hit the pavement. His head slammed against the ground, ears ringing, the taste of blood coating his tongue. Too many pairs of feet crowded around him until his vision unblurred.

There were three to his one.

One of them raised his foot to kick him -- where, he couldn’t tell -- and he lunged for his other ankle, yanking hard and bringing him to the ground.

Shouts fill the air as Minho righted himself, a blow landing by his eye before he could dodge. Staggering back, he pushed himself off the Prius, blocking one’s attack and, still holding his arm, shoving him into the other, throwing him off balance.

A car alarm blared in the night, startling Minho enough to look around. But it was Dad’s Prius, and Joohyun was sitting behind the driver’s seat, motioning for him to get inside. Minho didn’t have time to think, he just reached for the door, and yanked it open, slipping inside before the drunk guys could get any nearer.

Joohyun started driving before the door was fully closed and once Minho was buckled, he reached for the keys, turning the alarm off.

“I’m sorry, I’m sorry--” she muttered, her voice shrill and frantic.

“It’s okay, just drive for a bit,” he said, looking over the back to make sure they weren’t being followed. “Are you okay?”

“Me?” she asked incredulously, swerving a bit and earning a honk from a motorist in the next lane. “Are you ing kidding?”

Minho huffed a tired laugh, reaching up to gingerly touch his swelling eye then dabbed at the blood staining his lips. “Keep your eye out for a convenience store.”

It took a few more blocks before there was one on their side of the street. As soon as they were parked, Joohyun took the keys out of the ignition and passed them back to him. “Wait here, I’ll go get you an ice pack,” she said before she slipped outside and hurried around the corner.

Minho pursed his lips as he gulped. Well...he certainly couldn’t say that his first date with a woman wasn’t interesting. Hopefully, this wouldn’t be a repeat occurrence...for multiple reasons. He sighed heavily, unbuckling before he let himself out of the car. It beeped as he locked it with the key fob, and he meandered over to the empty tables set up outside the front of the convenience store, plopping down on one of the benches. His keys jingled in his hand as he flipped them. Around and around. After a second, he looked down, his gaze immediately snagged by the small silver snake charm on the key ring.

It was one of the few things he had with him that connected him to Kibum. He turned the snake between his fingers, the tiny emerald eyes catching in the fluorescent lights.

“Oh!” Minho looked up at the sound of Joohyun’s surprise. “Here, I got you some water and pain killers too, just in case,” she said as she passed him the ice pack.

He winced as he pressed it up against his eye. “Thanks. I can pay you back.”

“Don’t worry about that. Please.”

Minho sighed, nodding as he met her gaze. “So, did you get her number?” Joohyun’s eyes widened. “I’m not gonna tell anyone if that’s what you’re worried about. That’d be a move.”

She sank slowly onto the bench across from him. “You have a boyfriend, don’t you.” Minho smiled at the lack of a question and nodded. She chuckled, averting her eyes for a second. “Lucky that our parents picked us for each other, then, huh?”

“I mean, if you want to call it that.”

She glanced up at the ice pack. “Right. Sorry. I just…” Her voice trailed off into a sigh as she rested her chin on her crossed arms. “It’s just been a rough few months.”

Minho’s eyebrows shot up. “I’m not the first guy you’ve been set up with?”

She scoffed loudly. “God, no...You are the first gay one, though.”

“You’re welcome.” He grinned when she started to laugh, wincing when his split lip stung. “I’m sorry, I know how much I was dreading tonight. I can’t imagine what you’ve been dealing with.”

“I just...I don’t know. I just wish there was something I could do, you know? Besides telling them…”

“Yeah…” He glanced back down at his snake charm, his jaw clenching reflexively.

“So, tell me about him. The boyfriend.”

Minho smiled, then, glancing away and back to the snake charm before he met Joohyun’s eyes again. “Well, he’s my best friend. Kibum, the one I mentioned.” She nodded, smiling in recognition. “He's annoying as ...and the funniest person I know--but don’t tell him I said that, or he’ll get a big head.” He smiled, looking back at the snake. “He knows every little thing that irritates me and he’s perfected doing them, but it’s less irritating when it’s him, you know?”

He looked back up at her, smiling now. “I can just look at him and know what he’s thinking, and he can do the same for me. We’ve been with each other long enough that we know every little thing about each other. We’ve practically grown up together, we know our likes and dislikes, our similarities and differences, our strengths and weaknesses. He’s shaped me into the man I am today, and despite what my parents think, that’s a good thing. Because he’s kind. So kind, and thoughtful. Even if he hides it behind his sarcasm.” He laughed, his brow knitting together. “Sorry, I could ramble about him for hours.”

Joohyun shook her head, giving him a soft smile. “Don’t worry. It’s...healing, I guess, to listen to someone like us talk about their significant other. If you don’t mind me asking--”

“Go ahead.”

“Why not go be with him?”

“He lives in New York City. And, I’m not out and I live with my parents,” he said immediately.

“Ah…” She cleared , leaning closer to him. “I take it they’re not the type to change their mind.” Minho shook his head, and she sighed as he flipped the ice pack over. “What are you gonna tell them?” she asked, nodding to his ice pack.

“Not sure yet. I’ll think of something.”

"Good luck with that."

They sat there, sharing the water Joohyun had bought until Minho's ice pack warmed past its usefulness. It seemed to have helped a little, at least. The skin around his eye seemed less puffy, now, which was a definite relief.

The radio filled the silence in the car on the drive back to Incheon. Joohyun didn't want to talk, though she did text periodically, the screen from her phone lighting up the car about every five minutes. Hopefully, it was her Sailor Jupiter.

He dropped her off at her parents' place and watched to make sure she made it inside before he went home himself. He came in through the garage, tiptoeing to the bathroom to finally inspect the damage from the brawl.

Well, …

The skin around his eye was still puffy with a mottled purple and red bruise spreading around it. There was a scrape on his cheek from where he had hit the pavement as well as a split lip. He grabbed a washcloth, wetting it with warm water before he gingerly cleaned the dried blood from his face. What he wouldn’t give to have his wand right now...or even some essence of dittany…

His phone vibrated in his pocket, and he tossed aside the washcloth so he could pull it out. Ah. Kibum again.

[2:04 am]

Have you made it home and

just forgot to text me?

 

Rude

[3:36 am]

Baaaabe, text me because I

have to go soon

Minho took a deep breath, letting it out in a long sigh as he looked back at himself in the mirror. Tears stung his eyes and he blinked them away with a wince. He exited out of their messages, heading back to his contacts so he could call him. The dial tone trilled in his ear as he flicked the bathroom light off and made his way through the darkened house to his room.

“It’s about time,” Kibum said as soon as he picked up. Minho closed his bedroom door, leaning against it for a second before he pushed off it and trudged over to his moonlit bed with a sigh. “Hey, are you alright?”

Despite everything, Minho smiled. It wasn’t that he was trying to hide it or anything, but it was still nice to know that Kibum still knew him well enough to know when he was upset. The distance couldn't take that away from them. “No.”

“Did she turn out not to be a lesbian?”

Minho sank into his bed, not even bothering to change out of his clothes. “No, she was. There were...these guys. Drunk idiots. They tried to grab her and things escalated a bit. I’m fine, I’ve just...I’ve got a black eye now--”

“What? How is that fine?”

"I mean, I made it home, right?"

Kibum his teeth at him. "I would apparate to you right this second if I could."

Minho's eyes slipped closed. "I know."

Something creaked on Kibum's end. It sounded suspiciously like bedsprings. "What can I do to help you right now?"

Tears welled up in his eyes and he shook his head as he dried his untouched cheek. "I don't know. I'm just--" He sniffed, squeezing his eyes shut when Kibum whispered a pained Oh, babe... "I miss you. So much. I hate not being with you. I hate not being able to see you or hold you or...or...I've even...I've forgotten what it's like to kiss you and I hate that and I know it's my fault and--"

"Hey, hey, wait. Min." Minho let out a shuddered breath, roughly wiping away the tears as they fell. "It's no one's fault, okay? This is just how things are right now."

"But what if I can never tell them? I've already disappointed them so much, I don't think I can bear to do it again…And I know you're probably as upset as I am, maybe even more. With me." He took several deep breaths, forcing himself to calm down. "I'm sorry, Kibum."

"Would I give literally anything to be with you right now? Of course I would, but I’m not upset with you that we’re not together right now. You don't have to apologize to me, love."

Minho started tearing up again; he couldn't help it. "No?"

"No." After a second, Kibum sighed into the receiver. "Give me a second, okay? I'll call you right back."

Minho nodded before murmuring "Okay."

The line went dead and Minho sat up to plug in his phone. He was halfway through changing out of his clothes before his phone vibrated again. Slipping back into bed, he answered.

"Okay, I'm here." Minho gulped, closing his eyes, trying in vain to imagine Kibum in the room with him. In bed beside him. But it had been too long, he could barely picture him…"Do you think you'll be able to sleep?"

"I don't know."

"That's okay. I'll keep you company."

He did end up falling asleep, listening to Kibum talk endlessly about their shared memories. He would talk too, occasionally, interjecting moments that Kibum forgot. He drifted off somewhere in third year...When he and Kibum were ice skating in London, he thought.

Morning light streamed into his room, blinding him momentarily as he searched, confused, for the muffled voice. He found his phone, fumbling with it for a second as he held it up to his ear.

"...and, I know it's dumb, but I'll never forget how beautiful you looked that evening. The light was catching you just right and, Merlin's beard, it took my breath away."

Kibum kept talking, but Minho pulled his phone away to check the time. It was almost nine...had he really been talking to him for...for five hours? "Bummie?" he asked, bringing his phone back to his ear.

"Oh? You're awake?"

"You--"

"How are you feeling?"

He reached up, gingerly touching his lip, only for it not to hurt. Not at all. He unplugged his phone, carrying it with him to the bathroom.

Not a single bruise or scrape remained. Nothing. Had he imagined it? No, Kibum was still there...He had performed wandless magic accidentally years and years ago, but he never thought that he’d do it again.

“Minho, you’re scaring me, are you okay?”

“I’m...fine. The bruises. They’re gone.”

“What?”

“I did get into a fight last night, right?”

Kibum hesitated. “Yes?”

Minho moved away from his reflection, hurrying back into his room down the hall when he heard his parents voices in the kitchen. “You stayed with me all night?”

“Of course I did?”

Minho frowned, sinking onto the bed again. “I thought you had that party.”

“I did.”

“You were really looking forward to it.”

“I was.” Minho blinked, his brow furrowing. “Min, why are you so confused? I don’t understand.”

“I...You stayed with me.”

“...Yes?” He let out a laugh. “I’m sorry, love, did you expect me to leave you after such a ty night? I know we’re halfway across the world from each other but did you really think I would do that? It’s not like there’s never going to be another Halloween party ever again.”

Minho rubbed his hand over his face, his eyes squeezing shut. He really was the world’s biggest idiot, wasn’t he? Why had he...why had he kept himself from Kibum? To please the parents whose love had proven to be conditional? He knew what he wanted. What’d he had always wanted. Why would he want to continue this charade for a second longer than he had to?

“Sweetheart…” Kibum hummed in question. “Can you stay with me, just a little longer?”

“Of course.”

He stood, stalking for the door. As he laid his hand on the knob, he paused. “Be as quiet as you can, okay?”

“Okay.”

Minho took a deep breath, lowered his phone, and stepped out into the hall. Every nerve was on fire as he walked slowly into the kitchen. Dad was pouring himself a cup of tea while Mom was organizing the cabinets she had just organized last week. Must have not liked how it turned out. Minho gulped, setting his phone down on the counter, his hand resting over it.

“There he is!” Dad said, his voice more chipper than usual. “How was the date?”

Minho shrugged. “Not great.”

Some of the tupperware clattered as Mom turned around. “But I thought you and Joohyun would get along well? You have so much in common.”

More than you’d know, actually… “It wasn’t her. I--I have something I need to tell you.” His gaze flicked between the two of them before it settled on his phone. Hopefully, Kibum could hear. Well...maybe not. “I’m not interested in her. Or any woman you might want me to date. I’m gay.”

It was out there, now. No taking it back, no matter how deafening the silence was.

Turns out you can feel relieved and also like you want to puke at the same time. Huh.

“What.”

Minho took a shaky breath as he looked up at Mom, who stared at him, horror-struck. He glanced at Dad, his heart sinking. He stared through him, his eyes alit with disappointment. Possibly even anger.

“I know it’s probably a surprise and a bit upsetting for you...but I also have a boyfriend.” Dad looked at him then, his brow furrowing. Minho his phone with his thumb. “It’s Kibum.”

The silence stretched between them once more, ringing in Minho’s ears. He’d give anything to crawl out of his own skin. To escape the moment.

“Even now?” Mom asked, her voice cracking as if she were on the verge of tears. “After all this time apart?”

“It’s always been him.”

Dad’s expression started to contort into a sort of snarl. “I knew he ruined you.”

“He didn’t ruin me, Dad. I was born a wizard. I was born gay. There’s nothing I or anyone else could have done to change that. In either direction. It’s ridiculous to suggest otherwise.” Minho clenched his jaw, shaking his head as he glanced between his parents, “Look, I love him, okay? I love him and I miss him and--”

“I don’t want to hear this . You have two minutes to get your things and get out of my house.”

“Dad--”

But he wasn’t looking at him anymore. No, he stared stone-faced into his tea, his knuckles white around the handle. Mom’s face was buried in her hands, her body wracked with sobs. Minho bit his lip, nodding, and bowed to them before he took his phone off the counter and hurried back to his room.

What to take, even? What did he have here that he even wanted to keep? He stuffed his notebook into the waistband of his jeans from last night, wrapped his phone’s charger around his hand, and grabbed his wallet and keys from the dresser. He hurried back out, slowing as he passed the kitchen.

“Minho.” He stopped in his tracks, looking back at his father, who was still staring into his tea. “You can come back when you change your mind, but I don’t want to hear from you until then.”

Minho stared at the back of his head, his grip around his phone tightening. “Goodbye, then.”

He didn’t look back.

Not even when he was down the street. He wasn’t even sure where he was going. His nerves were too fried, his hands still trembling. He could barely hear Kibum, but he was still there, talking to him. He lifted his phone to his ear.

“You’re gonna be okay, babe. You will, I promise. I know it’s gotta be terrifying, and I wish I could help more, but you’ll be fine.” He sank to the curb in front of the park in their neighborhood. “I’m really proud of you.”

“Thank you for staying with me.”

“Of course. You’re stuck with me, remember?”

Minho let out a choked laugh as he rubbed his hand over his eyes, then pinched the bridge of his nose. “I need to figure out a place to stay until I can get back to you.”

Kibum’s breath caught. “When?” 

“I don’t know. I just know I wanna be with you, and now nothing is standing in the way of that. I’ll be home soon, sweetheart.” After a second, Kibum let out a strange sort of sound. Minho’s brow knit together. “Bum, are you crying?”

“Shut up.”

Minho laughed, looking down at the snake on his key ring. “I’ll keep you updated, okay?”

“Okay.”

“I’ll let you go now, though.”

“Be careful, Min.”

He nodded. “I will.”

“I love you.”

“Love you, too. And I’ll talk to you soon.”

“Okay. Bye…”

Minho lowered his phone, staring at the screen as it lit up. Kibum had been keeping him company for just a little over six hours...How would he ever be able to repay him? He pressed a kiss to the phone, closing his eyes.

He'd think of something, someday.

He looked through his contacts, internally debating who could help him. Or, rather, who would be willing to help him right now.

He paused on Jinki's name, sighed, and pressed Call.

It rang four times before Jinki picked up. "Hello?"

"Hey, Jinki…"

"What's up, Minho?"

"I hate to be like this, but, can I ask you for a favor?"

"What's wrong?" he asked, concern coloring his usually bright voice. Minho explained quickly, about coming out, that it wouldn't be for long. Just until he could save up enough to fly to New York. "Hold on, let me ask Sooyoun."

Something clattered, and Minho listened as Jinki's footsteps got quieter. The TV was on in the background, quiet enough that Minho couldn't tell which program. He watched a car pass by, the kids in the back seat waving at him. He waved back with a small smile, then sat up as footsteps approached again.

Jinki picked up the phone again "Yeah, she said that that's fine, as long as you don't mind helping out around the house a bit."

"Oh, of course! How is she doing, anyway?"

"Still doing okay. Very ready to have the baby, though."

"I'm sure. Yeah, I can do whatever I can to help her while you're at work."

"That'd be great, Minho. Um, where are you, again?"

He looked over his shoulder at the swing set behind the fence. "Right in front of the park on the street we used to live. Do you want me to stay here?"

"Yeah, that works. Honey?" He paused, waiting for his wife to answer. "Do you want to stay here or come with me to pick Minho up?" Minho strained to listen to what she said but heard nothing. "We'll be there in about half an hour. Do you need to pick some stuff up from the store?"

"I probably should. I didn't take any clothes besides what I'm wearing."

"Oh , okay. Yeah. We'll be there soon, Minho, don't worry."

"Thank you, Jinki."

He hung up before Minho could say goodbye. He closed his eyes, taking several deep breaths before he went back to his and Kibum's messages.

[10:26 am]

I talked to Jinki...He's fine with

me staying there for a bit.

He sat up a little straighter, popping his neck before he looked through his contacts again. He selected Sooyoung's name, lifting his phone to his ear yet again. He was about to hang up when she answered.

"Hey, kiddo, perfect timing."

"Oh?"

"Yup! Just switched off the kiln!"

He smiled, his gaze latching onto the distant puffy clouds. Looked like rain was on its way. "What'd you make today?"

"Just more pots for the florist down the street. He swears they sell more flowers in my pots, but he's just being nice, I think. Coming down to paint again soon?"

"Yeah, probably, if you want me to."

"Ah. Big if." Minho snorted, and she chuckled. "Everything okay?"

"It will be." She set something down with a heavy clunk on her end. "I finally told them."

"Oh...." It sounded like she sat down. "How'd they take it?"

"Well, they kicked me out. Said they never wanted to see me again."

"Ah, the Choi family treatment." Minho hummed his assent. "Need somewhere to stay for a while? You're always welcome here."

"I called Jinki. He said I could. Didn't want to drag you all the way up here just for me."

"Hey, we gay cousins have to stick together." Minho smiled, turning around when he heard a dog bark. A puppy was running with reckless abandon, much to the chagrin of the teenagers trailing after it. "I'll be coming up to Seoul to get more supplies sometime next week. Wanna head back down with me for a bit?"

"I mean, if you want…" Her apartment was quite small but cozy. It suited her, really. "You just want me to make you those pumpkin pasties again."

"Am I really that transparent?" Minho smiled, then sighed, looking back to see if he could still see the dog. "How are you doing, with all of this?"

Minho gulped, looking back ahead of him, staring at the threads of his jeans as his phone vibrated against his ear. "Not quite sure yet. It's still...too…"

"Yeah, I get that. Does Kibum know?" Minho hummed again, nodding. "You planning on heading back to him?"

"Of course."

"Good. Oh, hey, doorbell. We'll talk later, okay?"

"Okay."

"Good luck, kiddo."

"Thanks. Love you."

"Yeah, yeah." She chuckled. "Bye."

He dropped his hand, ending the call. Oh, Kibum texted him! Minho hurried to open his message.

[10:44 am]

Oh good! That's such a relief!

It is, yeah

This is such a weird feeling

I can imagine. I wish I could like

Physically be there

Me too

This works too, I guess. Though I

did figure out my apparation route.

Oh? ㅋㅋㅋ

First I'll head to Canada. Apparate

through the provinces or whatever the

they're called until I get to the tip

of Alaska. Then, I'm gonna go to Russia,

then Japan, hopefully skip North Korea

entirely, and then I'll be there, with you

Sounds like a good plan ㅋㅋ

will you need my address?

Nope

 

You're my destination, babe, and I'm

deliberately determined to get to you ㅋㅋ

ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ

 

I love you so much

Minho looked up at the familiar honk, waving to Jinki. He pocketed his phone and double-checked to make sure he had everything. All three of his items. Jinki unlocked the back door and Minho started to slip inside.

"Sorry about the mess," Sooyoun said, trying to reach around her very pregnant belly to shove aside the boxes of diapers they were keeping in their car. "We were running out of room in the house."

Minho sank into the seat, sheepishly clicking the seatbelt over his chest and around his hips. Maybe he should have gone with Sooyoung instead. But Jinki seemed to be fine with him staying. It'd just be for a little while. Until he could afford a plane ticket. How long would that take, anyway?

"Thank you, again," he said, his gaze lingering on his parents' house as they passed by. Both of their cars were still home. What could they be doing now?

"Oh, don't mention it."

The Lee's took him shopping for clothes before they headed back to Gwangmyeong. He made sure to take up as little space as he could since he was intruding on their home. And, well, because there wasn't much space to begin with. Moving boxes were everywhere, which wasn't a surprise. After Jinki's promotion at the hospital, they were finally able to buy a house to suit the needs of their growing family.

Minho camped out in their makeshift nursery, spending the days either helping Sooyoun pack or break down furniture that they wouldn't need until they moved into the bigger house. That was until he was able to snag a job as a busboy at Dwaejijip--he had since been fired from the country club. Dad's final gift, he could only assume.

It wasn't much, but any little bit helped. ₩1,340,000 wasn't going to fall into his lap overnight, unfortunately, and that was the bare minimum he needed for the plane ticket.

Kibum, of course, was busy with end of the year exams, so any contact with him was spotty and much-appreciated. Minho set his tray heavily on the dirty, abandoned table, stacking the dishes inside with a sigh. At this rate, he wouldn't be able to buy a plane ticket until sometime early next year, if he was lucky. Kibum understood. Said Mrs. Kim offered to pay for it, but it just seemed...he couldn't do that. He'd already asked for so much from her, enough that he'd never be able to pay her back.

A woman laughed, a familiar sound, and Minho glanced up, looking wide-eyed again when he found his mother sitting at one of the distant tables. She was with Aunt Boyoung and Aunt Junhi. She laughed again, and Minho forced himself to look away, returning his attention to the dirty table before him.

Where was he? Oh right. Glasses.

He cleared the table, wiping it down before returning to the dish pit, stacking everything neatly, just like Kwanghee liked it. He returned to the dining room, doing his absolute best not to veer too close to where his mother and aunts were.

She still spotted him, though. He could feel the weight of her scrutiny. After a while and a few more tables were cleared, he looked back, unsurprised to find her watching him, only to look away once he met her gaze. He gulped, clenched his jaw, and went back to work.

Once they left and he got to her tables there was a note hidden beneath her bowl.

Can we talk?

He tucked it into the pocket of his apron, quickly clearing their mess, and hurried back.

"Hey, Jongdae?" he asked, catching the Dwaejijip manager's attention away from the expo station.

"Yeah?"

"Mind if I take a ten?"

"How long have you been here?"

Minho's brow furrowed as he dropped the dish bin into its stack and walked over to the expo station. "Since eight."

"Have you taken your lunch?" He shook his head. "Go ahead and take fifteen then."

How generous… "Okay, I'll be back soon!"

He pulled his phone out of his jeans pocket as soon as he reached the alleyway behind the restaurant, going to his and Mom's messages.

[1:38 pm]

Do you want me to call you?

I'm in my car

Minho blinked and pocketed his phone as he went around to the parking lot, scanning the cars until he spotted Mom's silver Elantra, a plume of exhaust billowing in the chilly November air. He jogged over to the passenger side, trying to handle to find it unlocked. She didn't look at him until he closed the door.

He settled in his seat, watching her expectantly.

"How did this happen?" He searched her expression, confused. "What did your father and I do that was so wrong for you to end up...like this?"

Minho his lips, frowning. "I already said, no one did anything. This is just...who I am, Mom."

"Then why... every time I see you or think about you...why do I feel like a failure as a mother? Was there something I could have done to change you?"

"No."

"Did Kibum--"

"Mom, for the last time, no one did this to me. This is, just...this is me. This is who I am. I'm sorry it's so disappointing for you."

"It's just--" She looked away from him, her eyes closing. "It's so unnatural. All of it."

Minho gritted his teeth, looking out the window as his hands clenched into fists. "Unless you or Dad, hell, even Minseok, dropped me into a vat of toxic waste as a baby, then nothing or no one made me a wizard. We probably have some witches or wizards way back in our bloodline…" He closed his eyes as Mom started to cry again, sighing. "As for Kibum…" He sighed again. "Nothing was more natural than him and I falling in love."

"How long?" she managed to ask through her crying.

"How long have I been in love with him or how long have we been a couple?" She couldn't seem to make herself answer. "I've been in love with him for years, Mom. Since fifth year, at the latest. We started dating during our final year at Hogwarts."

She shuddered, though Minho wasn't sure from what.

"Do you want me to go?" When she didn't answer, Minho decided to take that as a yes.

He opened the door, stepping out only to peer back in when she said, "I hope you come to your senses someday, Minho."

Shaking his head, he closed the door, stalking back to Dwaejijip.

His shift ended eventually, unceremoniously. It started to rain as he walked back to Jinki’s house, only to find it empty. A note under a fridge magnet told him that Sooyoun had gone into labor and they would be at the hospital for two days at least. He heaved a sigh as he went back to his room slash the nursery, and he fell into his makeshift bed. Even though he kept his eyes shut, he couldn’t force himself to sleep.

Especially not when he heard the rasp of fluttering pages.

Hey, I tried to call you and it said your phone was disconnected?

“What?”

Minho fished into his pocket, pulling out his phone and attempting to call Kibum back, but all he got back was an intercept message letting him know that his phone had indeed been disconnected. He gripped his phone tightly before he stood, walked over to the trash can, and dropped it in after a second of hesitation. Then, he returned to bed, grabbing his notebook again.

My mom’s last gift, I assume.

Oh?

Yeah, she came by my work today...I’m fine, just frustrated...what’d you want to call for?

I was just gonna vent about studying, but if you’d rather talk about this I understand…

I really don’t ㅋㅋㅋ what’s going on with studying?

Sooyoung ended up swinging by the next day, as was the plan, since Minho had the next two days off. They went back to the train station together, returning to Daegu.

“You don’t mind if we stop by the bank first on the way home, do you?” Minho shook his head, and they were off, Sooyoung talking about the commissions she received from her trip into Seoul. He stayed in the car while she ran in -- “Just for a minute!” -- and he watched the doors in anticipation for her return, his attention repeatedly caught by the orange caution cones on the far left.

“I think I want to go to the cemetery again today,” he said absently as Sooyoung slid back into the driver’s seat.

“Oh?” He nodded. “We need to go pick up some soju then before we head home. I’m all out.”

After a quick lunch, he took one of the barely chilled bottles of soju and two of Sooyoung’s glasses, heading out by himself. The cemetery where Kibum’s dad was buried was only about a kilometer away from Sooyoung’s apartment, and even though it was chilly, Minho didn’t mind the walk. He found his headstone with practiced ease, setting both of the glasses on the top of his headstone.

Minho poured them both a shot, Mr. Kim’s first then his own, which he then took, turning away from the headstone and covering his mouth as he drank it.

“Starting without me?”

Minho coughed as he swallowed the alcohol, smirking as he looked up into the silvery face of Kibum’s father.

The first time he found the headstone, he had noticed the few ghosts floating around the cemetery, but after his many years at Hogwarts, it didn’t even phase him. It did, however, shock him to find that Bumji was in fact here, in Korea, and a ghost. So much so that he had almost tripped over one of the headstones behind him when Bumji had first floated up to him to ask who he was and why he was leaving flowers on his grave.

As much as Minho wanted to, he was respecting Mr. Kim’s wishes to not tell Kibum that he was here. He didn’t understand it completely, but it wasn’t his place to interfere on such a personal matter, no matter what his and Kibum’s relationship was.

“You’d understand after how the past few weeks have gone for me,” he said, bowing slightly to him. Mr. Kim’s eyes sparkled with curiosity as Minho poured himself another shot, painfully reminding him of Kibum. The resemblance between them was not exact, but definitely obvious. “I finally told them.”

“I assume it went the way you thought it might.” Minho could only nod before he turned his head away again, covering his mouth as he drank the shot. “That’s unfortunate, son. I’m sorry.”

“At least I was expecting it, right?” he asked, laughing mirthlessly as he turned to slump into the bench on the other side of the path.

Mr. Kim floated over to him, scrutinizing him. “So, what’s the plan now? Are you heading to New York?”

Minho nodded. “When I can afford the plane ticket, yeah. But it’s gonna take for--”

“Would you like help?”

Minho blinked, looking up at him. “What?” He repeated the question. “Sorta? But I don’t see how anyone can help me. Your wife offered, but it felt wrong to accept it…”

“Why?” Minho shrugged. He didn't exactly know how to word it. But it felt like too much, no matter what his and her son's relationship was. She had already done so much, he couldn't bear the thought of accepting any more. Bumji sighed, shaking his head. “Will you accept my help?”

“I...uh...” What could a ghost do, really? He couldn’t help be a bit curious, so-- “Sure.”

Minho got up, hurrying to set his glass and the soju down on Mr. Kim’s headstone before he floated too far away for him to catch up. "I don't leave the cemetery often and it's been years since I've lived here, so forgive me if I get you a little bit lost."

They didn’t exactly get lost, but they did get quite side-tracked on their way to wherever Mr. Kim was leading him. He pointed the park out to Minho, saying that’s where Kibum took his first steps. The market where Kibum had his first taste of spicy tteokbokki--he had immediately started crying. The street where Simasul Market--what Mr. Kim said was as close as Daegu got to Diagon Alley--appeared at midnight and where Kibum got his starter cauldron kit and wand to play around with while Mr. or Mrs. Kim tinkered around with potions or spells at home.

As much as he wanted to find out everything he could about both Kibum and the customs of Korean witches and wizards, they arrived at their destination.

The bank Sooyoung had gone to earlier.

“This way,” Mr. Kim said, floating toward the door that was under construction. “Careful. Don’t let the Seokjjo see you use this door.”

“Seok..jjo?”

“Ah, right. Sorry. Muggles.”

Minho glanced around, watching the few Muggles milling about the pavilion. None seemed to be paying much attention to him, so he looked back at the door to find Mr. Kim already inside. He tried the handle; it was unlocked.

He’d been inside the bank with Sooyoung once before, during his first visit to Daegu. He hadn’t thought much of it, at the time, given that it looked like literally any other bank he’d ever been inside -- aside from Gringotts, of course. Mr. Kim floated ahead of him as Minho stood in the doorway, mouth agape as he took in the wizarding bank.

The interior reminded him of the sets of the palaces from period drama. Multi-colored silks draped the walls from floor to ceiling, framing the gilded tapestries and moving artwork. Flecks of light glinted off the golden accents, wavering over everything. A river flowed through the lobby, gold and silver coins lining the crags and crevices within. And the people...all wore flowing hanboks, their hair tucked under the threaded designs moving of their own accord.

"Minho," Mr. Kim's distant voice drew him out of his stupor and Minho looked up at him to find him chuckling. "Come on, this way."

"Is this…" he started to say once he had found his voice. "Is this what wizards dress like here?"

"When we're only among other witches or wizards, yes. Disillusionment Charms were all the rage here for a while. Still are, if I had to guess"

"So--" He picked up his pace, almost jogging after Mr. Kim when he drifted through the corner and shot ahead of him down the hall. "--There really are more wizards here?"

Mr. Kim looked back at him, his eyes slightly sad as Minho finally caught up to him. "I wish I could have done a better job showing you just how rich the wizarding community is here. Maybe you'll be able to see for yourself, someday."

"Hopefully."

Mr. Kim searched his expression before he turned, nodding to the threshold. "Just in here." He let Minho enter first. It looked like a throne room, but makeshift to accommodate several cubicles. "This is where I used to work, before I got leukemia."

Right, Kibum had said he had been a banker.

He drifted through the wall of the second cubicle on the left, and a somewhat familiar cackle filled the room as someone shrieked. Minho ran over to the doorway, finding Mr. Kim still laughing at a harassed-looking bank worker throwing her opulent gold slipper through his chest.

"Gildong's cauldron, Bumji...I swear death hasn't changed you."

"I'll take that as a compliment."

She threw an amused glare at him before casting a curious glance at Minho, who stood frozen and wide-eyed in the doorway. "Who's this?"

"Soyou, this is my son-in-law, Minho." Minho blinked rapidly, his gaze darting up to Mr. Kim. "Minho, this is one of my old coworkers, Lee Soyou."

She her teeth at Mr. Kim before she turned to Minho, who bowed as he murmured a polite greeting. "A pleasure to meet you. What can I do for...you?" she asked, glancing between them.

"I'd like to withdraw my son's inheritance and give it to Minho."

Soyou didn’t question it, she just turned back around, pulling out a box of parchment rolls. “Kim, Kim...Kim, ah, here we are.” She unfurled it, scanning the calligraphy until she reached the bottom of the parchment. “Looks like a total of 2763 Gerum and 2092 Eunti. Does that sound right?” Mr. Kim nodded, both ignoring Minho’s sputtering. “Will you be needing it in the Seokjjo’s won?” she asked Minho.

“Yes, he will.”

“I--”

But Soyou had already swept past him in the doorway, leaving Minho and Mr. Kim alone once more. He’d never heard of Gerum and Eunti before, but he could only assume that they were the Korean equivalent to British wizarding money.

“Mr. Kim…”

“You can call me Dad, you know.”

Minho gulped, worrying his bottom lip for a second. “I can’t take this...it’s Kibum’s.”

Mr. Kim drifted closer to him, and Minho had to force himself to meet his gaze when a chill settled on his shoulder -- Mr. Kim’s hand rested there. “Son, you’re part of my family. Based on your stories, you have been for a while, now.” His smile turned fond; Minho looked down at his wringing hands. “Besides, if I give you this, won’t it be going to Kibum, too?” True, he couldn’t deny that… “Let me help you as much as I can. Let me help both of you, and, in return?” Minho looked up again, eager to hear how he could repay this kindness somehow, some way. “Just…love Kibum with everything you have.”

Minho started to grin before he glanced away, embarrassment coloring his face. “I was expecting something harder than that.”

Mr. Kim chuckled. “It won’t be easy every day -- no relationship is -- but it will be worth it, in the end.”

Soyou soon returned, a manilla envelope filled with...almost seventeen million won. Minho once again hesitated to take it but complied after glancing up at Mr. Kim. After he signed all of the necessary paperwork, they were on their way back to the cemetery.

“Do you still not want me to tell him?”

“For now...yes.” Minho nodded, his brow furrowing. He’d have to figure out a semi-plausible story for how he procured all this money, but at the moment his mind was abuzz with thoughts of finally being able to go home. After two and a half long years, he’d be able to see Kibum again. “As much as I would like to talk to him, I’m not sure if that would be wise…”

“Maybe not right now, but…” He glanced up at Mr. Kim. “I could bring him to see you, someday.”

Mr. Kim’s eyes widened as they passed through the cemetery gates. “You’d do that?”

Minho nodded. “Not immediately--”

“Of course.”

“But...I think it would be good.” They stopped by his headstone, Minho collecting the glasses. “Want me to leave the soju?”

“Please.”

Minho folded the envelope in half and tucked it into the inside chest pocket of his coat, looking back up at Mr. Kim. “I’ll be back, Dad.” Mr. Kim smiled into a sigh. “This isn’t goodbye.”

“It better not be.”

Minho smiled in return, bowing deeply to him. “Thank you for your immeasurable kindness. I’ll cherish your son until the end of my days.”

Mr. Kim returned the bow. “Until we meet again, then.”

Nodding, Minho turned, the glasses clinking in his hand as he made his way back to Sooyoung’s apartment. "Hey! I'm back!" he called out, checking his coat pocket for the umpteenth time for the envelope bursting with won. Still there. Still real. "Where are you?"

"In the kitchen!"

Minho followed the sound of her voice, leaning against the counter when he came in to find her prepping for what he could assume was their dinner. He set the glasses down with a pair of clinking, but she didn't bother to look up. "You still have a laptop, right?" She nodded. "Can I borrow it? I'd like to buy my plane ticket."

She stopped slicing the radish, looking up. "What?"

"Minseok offered to cover the difference,” he said immediately, the lie rolling off his tongue.

Sooyoung set the knife down, drying her hands on a nearby towel. "Here, let me help you."

He ended up paying her back in cash since they had to use her credit card to buy his plane ticket. But it was right there...December twenty-third...he'd be back to Kibum just in time for their third anniversary. He could barely sleep, that night, he was too excited. Though, once he told Kibum, he had company for hours until the excitement started to taper off enough for him to sleep.

Once he got back to Jinki's place, he put in his two weeks at Dwaejijip's. Instead of keeping busy with working for the rest of the month that he had left, he spent his time looking after Jiyoo whenever Sooyoun or Jinki needed the rest or doing what he could around the house.

Just Jinki accompanied him to the airport since it was eleven o'clock at night when he flew out from Seoul. It had been snowing for days now, enough for his flight to almost get delayed, but thankfully, blessedly, the storm had passed in time for the runways to clear.

Minho checked his meager luggage, practically vibrating with excitement as he received his ticket and returned to the waiting Jinki.

"Have you got everything?" he asked, suppressing a yawn.

Minho nodded. "I think I double-checked at least ten times."

Jinki chuckled. "When you get a phone again, let us know that you made it there safe and sound."

"I will."

He pulled him into a hug, squeezing him tightly. before pulling away to clap his hand on his shoulder. "Good luck, Minho."

"Thanks. Keep me updated on Jiyoo?"

"You know I will."

Minho hugged him again, his eyes sliding closed as he whispered, "Thank you so much. I don't know what I would have done without you."

Jinki rubbed his back before pulling away. "Go on, kid, you'll miss your flight."

His face cracked into a grin as Minho smiled and bounded away toward security.

We're boarding now, Minho wrote to Kibum once he was situated on the plane.

Are you going to try to sleep?

I don't know if I'll be able to ㅋㅋㅋ

In the end, he was able to sleep a little, though not as steadily as he'd prefer. Kibum kept him company whenever he woke up, no matter how coherent the messages he sent were.

The landing in Seattle was a bit rough. Freezing rain on the runway. As soon as they deboarded, Minho went over to check the departure screens after exchanging his won for American dollars, his worst fear confirmed.

My fight has been canceled...

Oh . Is the weather really that bad there?... I ask that as if we're not basically having a blizzard here right now.

Yeah

I mean, it's disappointing, but I'd much rather you get here safe, you know? We can wait just a little while longer…

With a heavy sigh, Minho slumped a little further in the seat by the screens. Since I have no clue what else to do right now, I think I'm gonna try to nap.

Good idea. Let me know when you wake up?

Of course.

When he woke, night had fallen. It was two in the morning. Christmas Eve. He stretched, groaning, before he started back for the departure screens. Oh? Some planes were able to fly out now? He made a mental note of the airline before he turned away, searching for one of their gates with someone behind the desk. It took some searching, but once he found one, he had to hold himself back from running to her.

“Hi, how can I help you?” she said, her voice unnaturally bright for this early in the morning.

“Yes, uh--” God, his English was out of practice. He could do this. For Kibum. “I was hoping that I could change flights?”

“What are you flying with now and where’s your destination?” He pulled out his ticket, handing it to her so she could inspect it himself. She tapped a few keys on her computer, scanning her screen. “New York is basically snowed in right now, looks like…”

“So, it’s impossible?” She offered him a sad, placating smile as he slumped on the counter. “Is there any way to get there? I’d walk if I could…” Actually, he’d apparate if he had his wand, but he didn’t, so--

“I’m sorry, sir.” He sighed, pressing his forehead into his crossed arms. “Is New York City home for you?”

“Yes, but I’ve never been there.” He squeezed his eyes shut before opening them again as he lifted his head. “My boyfriend lives there. I haven’t gotten to see him in years…” He shook his head, glancing back at the janitor who was changing out the garbage bags behind him. Sighing again, he gave her a small, tired smile. “Thanks.”

He pushed away from the counter. “Wait--” He froze, meeting her eye. “Give me your name. I’ll keep an eye on things and let you know if there are any changes.”

It wasn’t until the sun had started to rise that Choi Minho, please return to the American Airlines desk, please. Choi Minho to the American Airlines desk. Thank you. rang out over the intercom. Minho almost spilled his coffee on himself in surprise, but he hurried back to the desk he had found in the middle of the night, the same woman calling him over. “JFK is allowing planes to land again, so I was able to get you a seat on one of the flights over. You’ll be arriving at about five o’clock tonight, is that okay?”

He nodded eagerly, paying for his new ticket, and was boarded on the plane within the hour. For a second, he thought that he should let Kibum know. He even got out the notebook and his pen, but...Well, what if something else went wrong and he got delayed even longer? And then, even if it didn’t, wouldn’t it be fun to surprise Kibum?

Smiling now, he tucked his notebook away.

If Kibum did turn out to be pissed with him, he’d have the rest of his life to make it up to him.

They changed planes in Atlanta, and there was no delay this time, so he immediately boarded his plane to New York City--after twenty minutes of frantic running between terminals as he tried to find his gate. Snow was coming down hard as they taxied to the terminal of JFK, the world washed in a dreary gray. But not even the weather could dampen his spirits. He gave the taxi driver the address to Kibum’s dorm, the traffic an agonizing slow crawl because of the combination of the city and the ty weather.

Despite his driver's attempts at conversation, Minho could do nothing but sit and stare out the window, every muscle tense with the anticipation of seeing Kibum again.

He basically threw the money at the driver once he pulled to a stop in front of the dorms, grabbed his luggage, and ran into the lobby. Ignoring the new messages, he flipped through the pages of their notebook, looking for the room number Kibum told him it was. Room 329.

“Kim Kibum?” His head snapped up, gaze trailing after the pizza delivery guy who just walked in. “Is there a Kim Kibum here?” he asked, his voice colored with a thick New York accent.

“That’s me,” Minho said, reaching for his wallet.

He ambled over to Minho, looking at the receipt in his hand. “That’ll be fifteen-eighty-eight.”

He pulled out a twenty. “Keep the change,” he said, taking the pizza from him and hurrying away toward where he assumed either the stairs or the elevator was. Turned out to be stairs, so he ran up them, being careful not to jostle the pizza box too much. Once he reached the third floor, he looked both ways, checking to see which way he should head. “Three twenty-four, three twenty-five, this way…”

Breathless, Minho stopped before the door, his eyes wide, his heart beating rapidly, though not from the exertion of running.

This was it. This was finally it.

He’d made it home.

Minho his lips, took a deep, calming breath, and raised his hand to knock.