Days in the Sun

By My Side

A/N: I would like to say that I planned to post this chapter today, on the "actual" start of term for Hogwarts, but it really wasn't my intention. Honestly, writer's block got the best of me, and it was a struggle to get any words out for this fic lol That being said, I'm sorry for the looong delay! I hope you enjoy this chapter ^^

* * *

Waking to a squawking owl was very low on Kibum’s list of favorite things to do. When it’s two of them? In a tiny, enclosed room? It’s the exact opposite of a good time...

He pried his eyes open, staring at Nutmeg and Geum-nan on their perch. Nutmeg glared back, his eyes glowing in the dead of night. Kibum got out of Minho’s bed with a groan, popping the earbud with the still-playing piano music out of his ear. “Did we forget to leave the window open for you?” He felt his way around the room to the window then he jiggled the lock until it gave way and he pushed the window open.

He blinked reflexively as the flurry of their wings blew past him, the owls taking to the night sky. Yawning, he staggered back across the room and crawled into Minho’ bed again. He felt around for the other earbud and slipped it back in before he settled once again, his eyes drooping closed.

It only seemed like moments later Kibum's eyes opened, bright sunlight streaming into the bedroom. He yawned, stretching and then instantly freezing when he came into contact with someone. Oh, right, he slept in Minho's bed. His eyes flew open and he was about to apologize, but then as his gaze settled on Minho, he smiled.

Of course, it didn't wake him up. He didn't even stir.

His face was plastered against the pillow, mouth open and probably drooling. His eyelids fluttered as he dreamed -- of what, Kibum couldn't help but be curious -- and his hand was tangled in the wires of his earbuds.

Kibum knew he was too far gone, but that didn't mean that Minho wasn't extremely adorable right now.

He let out a heavy sigh before he rolled off the bed, and he quickly scanned their luggage scattered about the room. Once he spotted Minho's backpack, he made for it, quietly ping the front pockets until he found his allergy medicine from Pomfrey. He ped the pockets on the outside until he found the bottle, then unscrewed the top and popped one of the capsules into his palm. Curious, he sniffed the small yellow pill, but it didn’t smell like anything.

“Here goes nothing…”

Huh...it sort of tasted like curry, which wasn’t what he had been expecting. It actually tasted quite good. He sat back on his heels and glanced about the room, his eyes falling on the books stacked on Minho’s dresser. Kibum pushed himself up and went over to inspect them closer, picking up the bilingual copy of The Story of Hong Gildong.

He took it back to Minho’s bed, sitting at the foot of his bed and skimming the pages as he chewed his gum. He started to get invested in the story when Gildong discovered his magical powers, but by then his gum had lost its flavor… His thirty minutes were probably up.

Minho was still asleep if his snoring was anything to go by. He looked over at him, smiling as he curled up a little tighter. As loathe as he was to go downstairs to get breakfast alone, he really didn’t want to wake Minho. He let out a low groan as he weighed the pros and cons, his hunger eventually winning over his logic. Kibum pushed himself off the bed, setting the book open on his air mattress before he crept to the door, leaving it ajar behind him and glancing down the hall to see Minseok’s door wide open. Oh, hopefully, he was the only one in the dining room...or at least there. Sighing, he spat his gum out in the bathroom before he made his way downstairs.

All hopes that Minseok was hanging around died as he walked through the doorway and into the kitchen, his eyes instantly meeting Mr. Choi’s. Kibum immediately bowed in greeting, murmuring, “Good morning.”

Mr. Choi watched him for a second before he went back to his coffee. Kibum looked away and at the clean kitchen to find no preparation for breakfast at all. Was he supposed to help himself? His eyes darted back to Mr. Choi, who turned the page of the newspaper, and he took a couple of steps into the kitchen, heading for the toaster. He unraveled the loaf of bread and started toasting them, the chink of the handle and the buzz of the heating elements loud in the awkward silence.

Mr. Choi cleared his throat. “Please, be sure to help yourself to whatever you feel like you’re entitled to.” Entitled to? Kibum looked over when he turned another page. He thought about asking what he meant by that, but he quickly discounted the idea. "Our food, our hospitality...whatever suits you."

"I'm sorry?" he asked before he could stop himself, blinking in surprise and a little bit of disdain. "I don't understand what you mean by that."

"Don't you?" Mr. Choi asked without even deigning to look up from the newspaper.

Kibum bit his tongue before he could say anything else and, luckily, Mrs. Choi swept into the room before Mr. Choi could say another word. He bowed to her as well and returned her smile as she took the toast out and started to butter it. "How'd you sleep?"

"Well, thank you."

"Is Minho still asleep?" Kibum nodded when she turned to him. "Would you mind waking him up for breakfast? I don't want him to miss it."

"Yes, ma'am."

Without sparing another glance toward Mr. Choi, Kibum turned and left the kitchen, shaking his head as he reached the stairs. He refused to let Mr. Choi’s words deter him from having a fun first day of summer. Hopefully this would be the last of it...but, honestly, he doubted it would be. Perhaps it was just their lot in life to dislike each other.

He pushed on Minho’s bedroom door and slid inside once the crack was big enough to fit him and immediately closed it behind him. Kibum sniffed in amusement when Minho was still soundly asleep, his snores filling the room. He tiptoed into the room, sitting on the air mattress by Minho’s head.

His hand had reached out and settled in the imprint that Kibum had left in the sheets beside him. The iPod and his earbuds were still tangled in his fingers, his thumb moving slightly back and forth. Kibum stared at the freckle on the knuckle of his thumb for a prolonged second before he cleared his throat and looked back at Minho. He cocked his head to the side, smiling wryly as he leaned in closer to Minho’s ear.

“Wake up!” he yelled, and Minho’s eyes squeezed shut even tighter. “Aaaah! Wake up!” He covered his mouth to hold back his laughter as Minho frowned, eyes still closed, and reached blindly for his blanket. Once he recovered… “How long are you gonna stay lying down? Hey, wake up!”

Minho, finally, stirred, his eyes opened languidly and squinting when he found Kibum. “Did you...say something?” he asked between yawns.

“Merlin’s…” He started laughing again, shoving Minho’s shoulder as he started to sit up. “Come eat breakfast with me. It’s weird being alone with your parents.”

“Yeah, I can imagine.” Minho rubbed his hands over his face, then frowned as he shook the iPod and earbuds off his hand. “Sorry, you should have woken me up.”

“It’s okay. You needed your rest.”

Minho sighed as he rubbed his eyes then smacked his lips as he sat back against the wall. “You sleep okay?” Kibum answered with a nod. “Any more nightmares?” A shake of his head. “Good.” He stretched, popping his neck, and slipped out of bed. Kibum followed him downstairs, somewhat disappointed to find both of Minho’s parents still there.

“Almost done,” Mrs. Choi said from the kitchen as Kibum slipped into the seat next to Minho, pointedly avoiding Mr. Choi. “So, did you two pass all of your classes?”

Kibum nodded and Minho started telling her about every grade that not only he got, but also every one of Kibum’s. Everyone but Minho was halfway done with their breakfast by the time Minho finished with his explanation -- much to Kibum’s amusement -- and he took a bite of his rice before he launched into his description of the House Cup and why it was significant that Hufflepuff won it this year. Kibum knew his smile was reaching his eyes as he took a sip of his orange juice.

“Dear, as nice as it is to hear all of this, you need to eat your breakfast.”

“Sorry, Mom,” he said through his mouthful of rice.

She turned her attention to Kibum before she looked back at her bowl. “Do you know what school supplies we need yet?”

“Not yet, ma’am. Hopefully soon, though.”

“When exactly will your mother be returning to the country?” Mr. Choi asked, looking at Kibum expectantly.

He held his disinterested gaze for a moment before he felt Minho’ eyes on him. Then, he lowered his gaze to his empty bowl. “I’m not really sure, sir. She said in her last letter that she’s planning on being back by mid-July.”

"Don't you have to go to work soon?"

Mr. Choi took a sip of his coffee as he checked his watch, and almost spit it back into his mug. "You're right!" He wiped his mouth with the back of his hand before he kissed the crown Mrs. Choi's head. "I'll be back by six."

"Have a good day!" she called after him, and all three stayed poised, waiting for the slamming of the front door. When it came, she looked back at him and Minho. "Do you boys want seconds?"

"Yes, please!" Minho said. Kibum agreed with a nod.

Once they finished eating, Minho offered to do the dishes and clean-up so that his mom could get ready for work. She obliged, and Kibum helped him, bringing all the dishes from the table while he started the dishwater. He had the table wiped down and spotless by the time Minho started to rinse the first of the dishes.

"Scoot over, I'll wash."

"You don't have to help if you don't want to, Bummie."

"I'll do what I want to, thanks," he said, turning his nose up as he picked up the dishrag. Minho snorted and rinsed the bowl that Kibum just washed and set it to dry.

Once the water was draining, Kibum leaned against the rim of the sink, watching Minho put the last of the dishes away. "What do you wanna do after this?"

Minho shrugged, a shy grin curling the corner of his lips upward. "You can choose, I'm not picky."

Kibum huffed, dried off his hands on Minho's t-shirt, running away with a laugh when he shrieked, and went into the living room. The television was still on, Mr. Choi must have been watching the news before breakfast, but muted. He glanced back at the kitchen when dishes clattered together as they fell.

"You okay?"

"Yeah, yeah," Minho called back, sounding frustrated.

"Need help?"

"Nope."

Kibum nodded to himself and went over to the rack of DVDs, scanning them until he found A New Hope. He was really wanting to watch that last night until Minseok dissuaded him…

Well, hopefully, he remembered how to do this.

By the time Minho came into the living room, the starting screen for A New Hope was waiting for him. His dark mood from whatever happened in the kitchen brightened instantly and he sidled up next to Kibum on the couch.

"Are you sure you don't want to watch Attack of the Clones? It's next for you, technically."

"Yeah, but you wanted to watch this. And what Minseok doesn't know won't hurt him."

Minho smiled as he unmuted the television, music blaring until he hit play.

It was nice, actually, having the house to themselves. Kibum hadn't been expecting it to happen, but now that it had, he was going to enjoy it for as long as he could. It wasn't strange that they were sitting so close on the couch -- practically joined at the hip, if he were being honest -- and there was no one around to judge or question it.

He could relax.

Relax and simply enjoy Minho's presence.

He sighed quietly, smiling when Minho laughed at the droids' antics on the screen.

This was nice. The perfect way to spend his summer.

He sank into the couch, letting his head loll to rest on Minho’s shoulder. For the tiniest part of a second, he thought Minho would ignore the slight contact. But, of course, he didn’t. He leaned over, his head resting atop Kibum’s, and Kibum worried his bottom lip to keep from smiling too much.

It lasted for a few moments until Minho cleared his throat and got up to get a drink. “Want some water?”

“Please.”

By the end of the first movie, Kibum had gotten quite attached to the sarcastic space pilot and was curious to see if he and the space princess would end up together or if she’d end up with the cute space farm boy. When Kibum voiced his thoughts, Minho just burst out laughing. “I’m not gonna spoil it for you,” he said, heading back into the kitchen with their glasses. “The next one is The Empire Strikes Back. Do you want a snack?”

The faucet , filling their glasses one by one. “Sure, what do you have?”

“Uh -- “ Cupboards and drawers were opened and closed, followed by the crinkling of some plastic. “We have popcorn!” The crinkling continued, followed by several beeps. “Go ahead and start without me. I’ll be there in a minute.”

Kibum stretched across the couch to grab the remote from where Minho dropped it and hit play, staying stretched out as the movie started. After a few minutes, Minho came back, sitting on Kibum’s feet as he set the waters on the coffee table before them. Kibum eventually sat up -- once Minho started digging into the popcorn -- without taking his eyes off the screen as they entered the asteroid field.

This movie was much more intense than the first. Kibum found himself grabbing Minho's arm whenever something surprised him. He hadn't expected to get so emotionally attached, but when Darth Vader was taking Han away from Leia and Chewie, Kibum's eyes blurred with tears.

Beside him, Minho cleared his throat and said "I love you...I know," along with the actors, then chuckled as the steam erupted around Han. "He was supposed to say 'I love you, too,' but the actor didn't think that Han would say that."

Kibum made a small noise of acknowledgment in an attempt to hide that the movie made him cry. Once he sniffed, however, the ruse was up and Minho looked his way.

"Oh no," he reached out, wiping away the tears that fell with a swipe of his thumb. "Are you okay?" He sniffed again and Minho turned to grab the tissues on the end table, holding it between them. "Sorry for joking about it, I didn't know you were crying."

Kibum let out a watery chuckle before he blew his nose. "I wasn't expecting to get so attached." He sniffed again and got another tissue. "Does he...is he okay?"

Minho pursed his lips, probably debating whether or not he should spoil the plot for him or not. "He'll be okay." Kibum turned then, watching Han being loaded on the bounty hunter's ship. "This movie only has a couple of minutes left. Then we can start the last one."

Kibum rested his chin on his knees as he hugged his shins, watching as Leia sensed where Luke was so they could go rescue him. He squinted at the television. "They don't get together, right?"

He looked over when Minho coughed back a laugh. "You'll just have to wait and see."

Once the movie was finished, Minho jumped off the couch and hurried to change the discs with the next movie. "I don't know when Minseok will be home, so we gotta hurry!"

Minseok didn't come home until they were halfway through Attack of the Clones. He ran into the living room, his shoulders slumping as he looked at the movie playing. "Aw man, you guys started without me."

"Sorry," Kbum and Minho said at the same time. As Minseok crossed the room to sit in Mr. Choi's chair, Kibum glanced Minho's way, both trying to keep from laughing as they went back to paying attention to the movie.

* * * * * * * * * *

In the days that followed, it was more of the same, and Minho couldn’t be happier about it. Minseok usually worked morning shifts at the pool while Mom and Dad were off at work, which left him and Kibum to their own devices...and the list of chores Mom left for them to do. For the first couple of days, Minho insisted that Kibum just sit back and relax and put on a movie or something while he hurried to do the chores himself. Kibum was a guest, after all, it wasn’t his job to help Minho if he didn’t want to, but he always did.

They were taking a break, now, from weeding outside. Minho was heating up leftovers from last night’s dinner for them to eat for lunch while Kibum went outside to check the mail. He slammed the door as he came back inside, startling Ember off of the table. She scampered out of the room as Kibum walked into the kitchen.

“Hogwarts letters arrived,” he said, dropping the rest of the mail on the counter before he passed Minho his. He was about to say that they only needed to buy two textbooks this year -- the usual update for Charms and Defence Against the Dark Arts -- when Kibum gasped. “Merlin’s beard!”

“What?”

Kibum shoved his letter toward Minho, letting him read it for himself.

Dear Mr. Kim,

I’m pleased to inform you that you have been selected as a Prefect! Your duties will begin once you board the Hogwarts Express on your return to school, so you will need to report to the first car for the annual leaders meeting. You’ll receive your badge then, too, so you won’t lose it over the summer holiday.

Until then, enjoy your holiday! We look forward to your return to Hogwarts.

With regards,

Prof. Horace Slughorn

“Woah,” Minho said with a grin as he passed the letter back. “You’re gonna be too important for me this year, aren’t you?” Kibum scoffed as he snatched the letter out of Minho’s hand. “Will you even want to hang out with me?”

“Hey, don’t even joke about that,” he said, still smiling as he met Minho’s eyes. “You know I would never...”

Minho leaned against the counter, glancing at the letter in Kibum’s hand. “I know.”

The microwave beeped, their hunger drawing their attention away from the letter for the time being.

When Mom got home from work, Minho showed her his, asking when would be a good time to head to Diagon Alley for their supplies -- "I need a new set of robes, too, I've grown out of the sleeves of mine." "Same here." -- only for her to express her uncertainty at when she'd be able to swing a visit to London with them.

"Oh!" exclaimed Minseok from the other room, sliding into the dining room on sock-covered feet. "I have tomorrow off! I could take them…"

Oh, that would be so much fun! Minho turned to look at her, a pleading question in his raised eyebrows.

"I'll think about it," she said, her voice dropping off when Dad walked through the door and announced that he was home.

It wasn't until much later, when Minho and Kibum were brushing their teeth before bed, that Minseok appeared in the doorway, whispering, "Mom said yes, but don't tell Dad."

"When do we leave?" Minho whispered when Minseok started to move away.

"When we finish our chores."

Kibum spat out his toothpaste once Minseok slipped out of the doorway, meeting Minho's eyes in the mirror. "Well, this should be fun."

The second the door closed behind Mom and Dad as they left for work in the morning, Minho, Kibum, and Minseok immediately shot up from the breakfast table. They finished their chores in record time and were in the car on the way to Piccadilly Station in under an hour. “You have the money Mom gave you, right?” Minho asked breathlessly as they ran to the waiting train car. Minseok didn’t answer until they were in their seats, and he pulled his wallet out of his back pocket at waved it, as if that were answer enough. The entire way there, Kibum and Minho -- but especially Kibum -- gave Minseok pointers for how to easily blend in with the witches and wizards in Diagon Alley.

When they arrived at King’s Cross, both Minho and Kibum accidentally took the route to Platform 9 ¾. Luckily, they didn’t run headfirst into the brick wall, as the platform would be closed until September 1st. They did, however, laugh at Minseok’s confusion that that was the entrance to the train that took them to school. It took Minho a few moments to try to explain how it worked, but even then he wasn’t sure if he fully grasped the concept. Kibum had to drag Minho -- and, by extension, Minseok -- away from the wall.

It was raining by the time they made it out of King’s Cross. Minho and Kibum huddled together under one of the awnings while Minseok hailed a taxi. And, soon, they were off, heading to Charing Cross Road, all three of them tucked into the backseat of the taxi. While Minseok tried to keep up with the driver’s inane conversation, Minho was distracted by Kibum’s hand by his knee and the way his fingers absently played with the frayed edges of the hole in his jeans. He only looked away when the taxi came to a stop and Minseok leaned over him to pay the fare before the three of them tumbled out onto the sidewalk before the pub.

“Where is it?” Minseok asked, looking up and down the street, somehow completely missing the sign that clearly said /Leaky Cauldron/.

“Just follow us,” Minho said, whispering as he followed Kibum into the pub and out of the rain.

They were greeted by a long, thin room. The dingy plaster walls soaked in the pale gray light of the rainy day, smoke from the candles on the high chandeliers and lanterns posted along the posts creating a thin sort of haze in the air. Cobwebs stretched from the asymmetric beams and up the walls, shimmering in the daylight. There were only a few patrons in today -- a pair of elderly witches sharing a meal and a young man sitting at the bar talking to Ms. Abbott, the day-bartender. Minho followed Kibum up to the counter, pulling Minseok along by his sleeve when he got distracted by one of the workers cleaning a nearby table with his magic.

“Miss Abbott?” Kibum asked when she looked their way. “Could you open the entrance for us please?”

She blew a stray flyaway out of her eyes with a huff and a smile. “Sure. I’ll be right back, Neville.”

“No rush, love.”

Her cheeks were rosy as she led them through to the backroom and out into the courtyard. She pulled her wand out of her apron pocket and tapped the bricks in the proper sequence, the wall opening up for them. Beside him, Minseok gasped, and Minho glanced at her to see if she noticed. It didn’t look like she had, given that she was already halfway back inside the pub.

"Thank you!" he called after her, but the door swung shut behind her before she could make any sort of response.

When he glanced up at Minseok, he couldn’t help but grin at his shock from taking in Diagon Alley. The last time he had been there was in Minho’s first year, and that trip was as in and out as Dad could make it. There hadn’t been enough time for even Minho to look around and take in the magic of the Alley then, so he could only imagine what it was like for Minseok at this moment.

Puddles formed in between the crevices of the cobblestone streets, raindrops plink plink plinking on the stones and the metal signs and the shop windows. It created a tinny sort of orchestra as they followed Kibum into the Alley. There was music -- from where Minho wasn’t sure -- and the displays in all the shop windows came to life as the people milled past. Minho lost Minseok in the crowd as he tried to keep up with Kibum on their way to Gringotts. He stopped Kibum with a hand on his arm and stood on his tiptoes to find Minseok transfixed by the display in front of Weasley’s Wizard Wheezes.

Kibum his teeth then chuckled. “He forgot everything we told him, didn’t he?”

“Sure seems like it.” Minho turned, meeting Kibum’s eyes with a smile. “I’ll go get him.” Kibum crossed his arms and leaned against the side of Spindlewarps, glancing over at the clacking needles as they knitted a sweater all on their own, and Minho darted away to grab Minseok away from the Puking Pestle display. “Remember? Don’t stare for more than five seconds?”

“I know, I know, but…” he pointed at the display in confusion. “What is this even for?”

“To get students out of class, I think.”

“Ah.”

Minho laughed, looking back up the road to find Kibum still waiting for them. “Come on, we gotta get to the bank.”

“...Right…”

Minho pulled him along by his shirt until he was following of his own accord, letting go when they rejoined Kibum.

"Try to keep up?" Kibum said looking pointedly at Minseok, amusement twinkling in his eyes. He turned his attention to Minho for a second, rolling his eyes with a smile, before he turned and continued down the road to the huge marble building. He stopped them before they started up the steps. "Don't be surprised by the goblins, okay?" Minseok nodded mutely. "They get offended easily."

Minseok looked to Minho for confirmation, which he gave with a solemn nod before they trailed after Kibum.

The marble floors and golden walls gleamed under the shimmering lights of the crystal chandeliers lining the path to the goblins’ desks. Minho squinted as they made their way to the money exchange desk, Minho handing over notes Mom had given him before she left for work this morning, and Kibum the cheque his mother had sent him last week for emergencies. Minho thanked the goblin when she handed them their envelopes, and they were heading out to the main street before Minseok could say or do anything that would give away his Muggle-ness.

“Where to?” Kibum asked, looking over at Minho once their feet hit the cobblestone.

“Flourish and Blotts. Might as well get our books first before we do anything fun.”

Smiling, Kibum weaved through the crowd and Minho waited for the influx of people to pass before he and Minseok followed him into the bustling bookstore. Kibum was already perusing one of the bargain shelves by the time Minho and Minseok made it inside. He looked up at the jingling of the bell, smiling at Minho before he went back to his search.

Minho glanced around the shop as he made his way over to him, stopping halfway when he saw Travis up on the second floor. With his older brother. Tanner. Minho's eyebrows shot up in surprise, and he hurried up the stairs, being careful not to knock over any of the books stacked on the steps -- one of them may have reprimanded him for running -- before he stopped behind them, poking Travis' side.

"What the f -- oh hey!" Minho grinned when Travis turned around, then looked up at Tanner, whose eyes widened when he realized it was him.

"Hey, sport!" He ruffled Minho's hair, his smile broadening. "How have you been?"

"Good," he started to say but was cut off by Travis who started delving into his Quidditch career since Tanner graduated. “You should try out this year,” Minho said once Travis fell quiet. “We need players.”

“What position would I even play?”

“Beater,” Minho and Tanner said at the same time, which made Tanner laugh. “Who knows, if you do, maybe I’ll have to drop by and watch a game or two,” Tanner said, his eyes twinkling with amusement.

Travis’s eyes widened. “Really?”

Minho smiled, glancing down at the first floor and scanning the customers for any sign of Kibum and Minseok. His smile turned to a slight frown when he didn’t see them, and he turned back to excuse himself from the O’Daire brothers when a hand patted Minho’s shoulder. He turned, relaxing when he saw Kibum with two sets of the books they needed bundled in his arms.

“Minseok is waiting outside,” he said quietly, then smiled and nodded in greeting to Tanner and Travis. He passed Minho his bundle of books once Minho turned away after saying goodbye to the O’Daire brothers. “You owe me five galleons.”

Minho dug into his pocket and handed Kibum the coins. “You didn’t have to buy those for me.”

“It’s not a problem,” he said, his dimples indenting his cheeks as he tried not to smile. “You can get me ice cream later to make up for it.”

Heading to Fortescue’s after they were finished shopping was already part of Minho’s plan, and he was already planning on paying for it, too. He huffed dramatically as they reached the ground floor. “I suppose. If I must.”

Kibum’s eyebrows rose as he fiddled with the twine binding his books together. “Yes, you must.” Minho snorted and opened the door for Kibum to leave Flourish and Blotts first before he followed him outside. Minseok stood outside before one of the shop windows, watching the moving book covers for the special editions of the Gilderoy Lockhart collection. “We just have Madam Malkin’s left, right?”

“Yeah,” Minho glanced over his shoulder. “Come on, Minseok!”

“Okay…” Minseok said, disinterested.

Minho got swept up in the crowd, making his way through it. He had a vague idea of where the robe shop was, so he tried very hard not to lose Kibum in the mass of witches and wizards shopping for school. There was a queue out the lilac door at Madam Malkin’s, and Kibum threw his head back in a sigh before he made for it, Minho stepping up behind him.

“This is gonna take forever.”

“Hopefully not.” Minho tried to keep a straight face when Kibum looked back at him. “I mean, think about it. If it took forever that’d mean even when we’ve died we’ll still be stuck in this line.”

Kibum coughed a laugh. “You know what I meant.”

“Yeah, but,” Minho’s eyes widened for emphasis. “What if we’re trapped here in a time loop? What if we’re really here for forever? What if there’s no escape?” Kibum’s shoulders shook with laughter as he turned back to see if the line had moved up. It hadn’t. “Now that’s we’re stuck here...what would you have done differently?”

His brow furrowed in thought as he tapped his chin with his finger. “I would have liked to see the world.”

Minho hummed, nodding solemnly. “That would have been nice. I’m sorry you’re stuck with me from now on.”

“Yes, it’s a real tragedy. However will I cope?”

Minho smirked, glancing at the wizards that passed them by. “I hope you can find a way, for your sake.”

“Me too.” He looked back at Kibum, their eyes meeting for a second before Kibum laughed, leaning on Minho for stability. Warmth burst in Minho’s chest when Kibum’s head rested on his shoulder, his hair tickling his neck. It only lasted for a second or two, Kibum's head lifting off of him as he leaned away. His touch lingered for a few seconds more until his hand slid off Minho’s shoulder and he stepped forward in line.

Minho’s smile fell as he looked behind him to find no Minseok. He straightened, looking up and down the main street. There was no sign of him.

“What’s wrong?”

“I can’t find Minseok.” Kibum stood up on his tiptoes, looking both ways down the street like Minho just did. Sighing, he stepped out of line, and Minho followed him down the street. “I thought he was right behind us?”

“Yeah, same…” Kibum ran up to a random wizard on the street, clearing his throat. “Hi, sorry to bother you. Have you seen a guy that looks like him -- “ he pointed over his shoulder at Minho “ -- only taller?” The man nodded, pointing down toward Ollivander’s.

“Thank you,” Minho called out as he jogged off, Kibum running to keep up with him. He was still nowhere to be found. Minho checked down the alleyway between Ollivander’s and Obscurus Books while Kibum asked another person if they had seen him.

“Yeah, I’ve seen him,” said the witch sitting in front of the Magical Menagerie. She didn’t look up from her knitting, even when Minho hunkered down to pet the kneazle playing with the ball of yarn at her feet. “Wandering into Knockturn, he was.”

“Oh, ,” Kibum said in Korean, capturing Minho’s attention away from the kneazle. “Th-thank you,” he said, bowing slightly to the witch before he grabbed Minho by the t-shirt and yanked him away. “Did you bring your wand?”

Minho’s brow furrowed and he shook his head. “We can’t use magic right now, so I didn’t think we needed to.”

Kibum glanced around and pulled his wand out of his waistband. “The worst that’ll happen is I’ll get a warning, don’t worry,” he said when Minho gasped. “Now,” he crept into the shadows, Minho quickly following him when the pewter umbrella above him started raining, wetting the cobblestones and drowning out the noise further down the street. “I’ve never been to Knockturn Alley, but I’ve heard only dark witches and wizards go there, so we have to be careful.”

Minho’s eyes widened and darted to the dark alleyway across the street that had the sign Knockturn Alley. “We just have to find him quickly, don’t worry.” He took a deep breath and looked back across the street. “Stay close… Lumos.”

Pure, white light shone from the tip of Kibum’s wand. He held it before them as they started forward, inching towards the dimly lit alley. The feeling of spiders crawling over his skin crept over Minho as soon as they crossed the threshold, and he shivered. Kibum pressed himself as close to Minho as he could as they walked down the narrow street, both looking in every direction yet avoiding the curious eyes of the strange witches and wizards that came out to inspect them.

Kibum gulped loudly beside him, his hand grabbing Minho’s arm when a burly wizard barrelled past them. Minho’s hand immediately covered Kibum’s and squeezed.

“You two look lost,” a raspy voice said on the left side of the street. Minho recoiled at the sound and slowly turned to see one of the shrunken heads displayed in front of Noggin and Bonce watching them. “What brings you to this dark corner of the Alley?”

“We...we...we…” Minho tried to say, but couldn’t get any further than that.

"We're, um, just looking for someone." Kibum cleared his throat, his voice significantly higher-pitched than usual. “His brother. Taller. He’s taller than us. Uh...looks like...like him.”

The shrunken head chuckled, swaying disturbingly by his hair as he did. “I think I know who you’re talking about.” He swayed to the left, his gaze directing them a little further down the street. “Cobb and Webb’s. That’s where I saw him last.” Kibum started walking toward the shop, their pace quickening when the head called out, “I’d hurry if I were you!”

They crossed the street and cautiously stepped inside the dark and dingy shop. All manners of horrors were displayed on the shelves, from vials of eyes that followed them as they moved further into a playing deck of blood-splattered cards that apparently shuffled themselves, much to Minho’s surprise. He huddled closer to Kibum, whispering, “Minseok?”

“Yeah?” came his brother’s voice from across the store. Minho slumped against Kibum in relief for a second before he let go and made his way across the store. Minseok was leaning against the counter, inspecting a set of candles. He glanced up at them and pointed to the red candles before him. “Do you think these are really poisonous?”

“Of course,” Kibum said at the same time that Minho asked, “What the are you doing here?”

Minseok frowned, thankfully ignoring Minho’s disrespectful tone of address. “Looking for you two. I asked a...uh...am I allowed to call them witches?” Both Kibum and Minho nodded after a second. “Well, this witch told me that you two had come this way and that she’d help me find you. But then she brought me here and told me to wait here for a moment -- “

“Merlin’s beard,” Kibum said, his face blanching. “Let’s hurry…”

“This other witch tried to sell me fingernails, I think…”

Minho pushed Minseok to follow Kibum, and the three of them ran out the door that was slowly creaking closed. It slammed shut behind them, the rattle of the glass and doorknob reverberating behind them as they continued down the road and out into the light of Diagon Alley. They only stopped running once they reached the Magical Menagerie again, Kibum stooping over to catch his breath. Minho stood beside him, patting his back as he panted.

“I was in danger, wasn’t I?” Minseok asked, his voice sheepishly quiet. Kibum huffed as he looked up at him with an exasperated glare. “I’m sorry, guys, I should have paid better attention to what you told me on the train.”

“It’s...it’s okay,” Minho said, still rubbing Kibum’s back. “No one hurt you?”

Minseok shook his head.

“You didn’t eat anything? Touch anything?” Kibum asked, standing straight.

“Nope.”

Kibum let out a sigh in relief. “You’re good, then. But,” he took a deep breath and let it out slowly. “From now on, don’t leave our sight, okay?”

“Yeah, for sure.”

They made their way back to Madam Malkin’s shop, Minseok stuck between them, and were surprised to find the line diminished to almost no one. Minho peeked around Minseok, catching Kibum’s eyes and smiling. Kibum rolled his eyes and smiled back before they walked inside.

Everything in the salon, from the lavender ceiling to the deep violet carpet, was colored some shade of purple. A light, fruity scent perfumed the room as Minho, Kibum, and Minseok walked up the stairs. A little golden bell tinkled, alerting Madam Malkin, probably, to their arrival.

“Just a minute!”

A young witch -- that Minho recognized from Hogwarts, but couldn’t remember her name -- peeked around the periwinkle partition, smiling at all three of them. She adjusted her chic sky-blue pointed hat as she came around the corner, her eyes falling on Minseok behind them. “If you’d just take a seat, Madam will be right with you.”

“Okay,” Minseok said a little breathlessly as he sat on the mauve ottoman, the gold tassels shifting under his weight. He was answering for the group now, apparently.

Minho turned to him when she disappeared again behind the partition, his brow furrowed incredulously. “What was that?”

“What was what?”

Kibum snorted and covered his mouth with his hand, looking away. “Were you...flirting?”

“How is saying ‘Okay’ flirting?”

“It was how you said it…”

Minseok looked like he was about to refute him, but then the witch came back into the room carrying a trayful of tea things. “While you wait, I thought you might enjoy a cup of tea,” she said, setting the tray down and pouring tea for them all, but her eyes lingering on Minseok. “Did you go to Hogwarts? I think I would have remembered you...” He shook his head mutely, and Minho fought the urge to facepalm.

“No, he went to Beauxbatons,” Kibum said, smirking when Minho’s eyes widened.

Her eyebrows rose and she looked back at Minseok. “Did you?”

Minseok’s gaze darted to Kibum, who was repeatedly mouthing France, and said, “Oui.” She blushed, Minseok grinned, and Minho buried his face in his hands.

“Maggie, come ring these people up for me!” a woman, most likely Madam Malkin herself, called from the other room.

“Yes, Madam!” Before she turned around, she smiled one last time at Minseok.

For a moment, there was nothing except for the quiet sounds of a distant sewing machine and the tinny music of the shop. The rain had picked up again, if only barely, and the pitter-patter of the drops filled the lobby. Minseok cleared his throat. “Okay, so maybe I was flirting,” Kibum snorted and Minho lowered his hands with a sigh. “What? She was cute, I’m allowed.” He shoved Minho a little, making him look up. “Come on, I know you’ve gotta be flirting with girls all the time at school.”

Minho’s face instantly heated, and he forced himself not to even glance toward Kibum. “I don’t think so.”

“Seriously?” Minseok looked to Kibum. “He does, doesn’t he?”

Slowly, with his stomach churning, he looked at Kibum for a second. Wow, the gray daylight and the purple-covered everything really washed him out. “I’m not sure.”

Before Minseok could ask any more embarrassing questions, the stout Madam Malkin, dressed head to toe in mismatched florals patterns, came into the lobby.

“What can I do for you today?”

They were fitted for new robes and paid for them within the hour, their mailing forms filled out and everything before they headed back outside. The rain had stopped, thankfully, and they made their way back through the street toward the Leaky Cauldron. Minho touched Kibum’s arm as they passed by Fortescue’s and his eyebrows raised in question. Kibum’s eyes brightened and he nodded, so Minho stopped Minseok with a clipped “Hey!”

“Isn’t it a little rainy for ice cream?” Minseok asked as he leaned to the left, inspecting the spinning cones on display in the shop window.

“So?”

“Don’t you want to have magic ice cream? This might be your only chance...” Kibum said, grinning when Minseok bolted for the door. He glanced at Minho. “Muggles are too easy, aren’t they?”

Minho sniffed in amusement and followed him inside.

Where Madam Malkin’s had been purple, Fortescue’s was yellow, save for the black and white checkered tiles on the floor. A line of empty cones, some lined with chocolate and sprinkles, hovered over the counters with the tubs of ice cream. The three of them got into the back of the line, peering into the glass and checking out the different flavors. Not that Minho needed to look. He knew what he wanted. “Ooo, Chocolate Chili…” Minseok muttered under his breath as they moved down the line.

“What can I get for you?” The man behind the counter asked. “Rainbow sherbert for me. In a bowl,” Kibum said, then looked up at Minseok.

“Uh, can I get, uh,” he stared at the bowl of ice cream and the scoop that was hovering by itself and filling Kibum’s order. “A Chocolate Chili, please. In a chocolate-dipped cone. Please.”

“And you?” the man asked, looking at Minho.

“Spiced Peaches and Cream in a cone.”

Minseok fumbled for his wallet out of habit as Minho dug into his pocket for the galleons he needed. Once they had their ice cream, they filed outside and sat below the display window to enjoy it. They would have to leave soon -- assuming that the clock above Gringotts was correct -- if they wanted to make it home before Dad did. Once they finished their ice cream, they hurried back to the Leaky Cauldron, the door already open for them to leave.

In a of luck, they made it to Kings Cross and on their train home just in time, Minho and Minseok breathing a sigh of relief. “Thanks for letting me join you guys today,” Minseok said in quiet Korean. “I know I didn’t make it easy on you, but it means a lot.”

“No problem,” Kibum said, and Minho smiled at that.

They made it home a whole five minutes before Dad walked through the door. Minho helped Mom finish setting the table as he came in, and they all took their places around the table. “So, how was your day?” Dad asked the table. When no one answered right away, he looked to Minseok, who was trying to keep from smiling. “Did you do anything fun on your day off?”

Minho stuffed several chopsticks-full of rice into his mouth, staving off any possible questions that might come his way, and Kibum took a long drink of water.

To his credit, Minseok just shrugged with disinterest as he tossed his kimchi back and forth in his bowl. “Not really. Just played some football with them.” He nodded across the table at Minho and Kibum but didn’t look up from his food. “Watched a movie or two.” Dad nodded, seemingly satisfied, then asked Mom about her day. It was only then that Minseok glanced across the table at them and smirked.

In his amusement, Minho almost choked on his rice.

* * * * * * * * * *

Try as he might, Kibum couldn’t quite figure out how to drink a soda while lying down. Oh, he would be able to if he could use magic at the moment, but trying different spells to do so while surrounded by Muggles seemed like a terrible idea. With a sigh, he sat up and adjusted the sunglasses Minho had let him borrow and took a long drink of his Coca-cola. He set it down, sniffing as the carbonation stung his nose, and scanned the mass of people splashing around in the pool for a glimpse of Minho.

He turned his head at Minho’s tell-tale yelling, slowly smiling as he jumped off the diving board and into the pool.

They’d been joining Minseok during his shifts as a lifeguard at the local pool this week. It was the fourth day in a row and Kibum was still sore all over from the exertion, so he opted out of swimming today. Minho, however, had boundless energy and practically had to be dragged from the pool at the end of Minseok’s shifts.

Kibum blamed that on Quidditch.

He blinked when Minho looked his way and started to lay back down when Minho pulled himself out of the pool. He crossed his arms behind his head and laid still, doing his best to ignore the wet sounds of Minho’s approaching footsteps. Kibum closed his eyes when Minho crouched next to him -- a safety measure… He had taken off his shirt as soon as the pool opened and Kibum had almost been caught staring at him. Twice. Minho picked up Kibum’s soda and took a couple of sips, guessing by the sound.

“You’re dripping on me,” Kibum said when he felt a couple of drops soak into his t-shirt.

“Oh, sorry, let me just…” Kibum his teeth when Minho shook his head, dousing him in a cascade of water droplets. “Are you sure you don’t want to swim?” Minho asked, grinning, by the sounds of it.

“The pool is so full, though.”

“So?” Kibum opened his eyes, squinting at Minho through the lenses of his sunglasses. Minho’s shoulders shook with laughter when Kibum sighed, the corners of his eyes crinkling as he looked back towards the pool. Kibum worried his bottom lip as he traced Minho’s jawline and neck with his gaze before he looked away. When Minho turned back toward him, Kibum immediately looked up at him. “Come on, please? You’re leaving tomorrow…”

True.

Mom had called the Choi residence before she boarded the plane to leave Russia last night. She'd be back in England early tomorrow morning, and she'd immediately be on her way to pick up Kibum. If all went according to plan, she'd be there around two in the afternoon.

Which meant they had a little less than one full day left to spend together.

Minho pouted, just a little -- his silent plea reaching his eyes -- and Kibum thought about relenting. But, then, there was a mischievous sort of twinkle that brightened when Kibum lowered his sunglasses.

"What are y -- "

His voice was cut off with a yelp when Minho scooped him up and staggered back toward the pool. As much as he wanted to struggle, he didn't want to accidentally hurt Minho, so instead, he hooked one arm over his shoulders and the other he held out to catch himself, should they fall. Minho stopped at the edge of the pool, straining to extend his arms to hold Kibum over the cerulean water.

"Don't you dare…" Kibum said, his smile belying his warning.

He turned, his nose almost brushing against Kibum's, and it was only then that Kibum realized just how close they were. His eyes widened and his heart stuttered in his chest as time seemed to slow down. When Minho's eyes met his, he simply grinned and did his best to toss him into the pool, but in the end, he really just dropped him. Kibum had enough time to plug his nose and close his eyes before the water swallowed him.

Honestly, it was quite refreshing. The air outside was humid and sweltering, and the water washed away the film of sweat covering his skin. He bobbed to the surface, standing on both feet since Minho had dumped him into the shallow end. He wasn't surprised to find Minho beside him, slowly backstroking away with a -eating grin.

"Hey!" Kibum said with a laugh, swimming after him to dunk his head beneath the water.

A whistle blew from above the pool once Kibum grabbed Minho, and both of them turned to Minseok where he sat in the chair overlooking the pool and patio. “No rough-housing, guys.”

“But -- “

Minseok lowered his sunglasses, spearing both Kibum and Minho with his gaze and effectively silencing them. He sat back when Minho pushed off from the side of the pool, carrying Kibum with him until he let go of his shoulder.

They spent the rest of Minseok’s shift playing in the water. Kibum even worked up the courage to use the diving board, which was a definite surprise. Once they were dried off and laid down dry towels in the backseat of Minseok’s car, they were on their way home.

“Do you want to shower first?” Minho asked as they unbuckled once Minseok pulled into the driveway.

“If you don’t mind…”

“I don’t.”

Kibum smiled to himself as he slid out of the seat, taking towel he had been sitting on with him upstairs. He showered quickly, eager to spend as much time as he could during his remaining few hours with Minho. When he returned to Minho’s bedroom, he found him there, opening the window for Nutmeg and Geum-nan to fly out whenever they wished to.

“Shower’s free.”

Minho looked up from the window, his expression brightening when he saw Kibum. “Okay! I think dinner will be ready soon. I’ll shower quickly if you want to head down.” Kibum nodded mutely and stepped aside so Minho could pass. As he did, his thoughts returned to that moment when their eyes locked in the seconds before Minho dropped him in the pool. He started at the sound of the bathroom door closing, then lightly bit his bottom lip to keep from smiling.

Sighing, he closed Minho’s bedroom door behind him as he started downstairs, picking Ember up on his way. She purred happily in his arms, nuzzling her soft, furry head just under his chin. He peeked into the kitchen and found Mrs. Choi dishing up the last of the leftover seolleongtang. “Need any help?” he asked, letting Ember go when she twisted in his arms. She bounded away toward the living room.

Mrs. Choi looked his way, giving him a small smile. “No, thank you.”

He nodded and followed Ember’s path toward the living room. His shoulders drooped slightly when he saw that the living room was only occupied by Mr. Choi, and he thought about turning around and heading into the dining room to wait for dinner, until… “Looking forward to going home tomorrow?” Mr. Choi asked, muting the television when it changed to a commercial.

“Yes, sir.” He cleared his throat and, when Mr. Choi glanced his way, he sat at the far end of the couch where Ember was perched on the back of the couch. “I’ve missed my mom.”

“I can imagine. It must be hard to be abandoned.” Kibum’s brow furrowed. He bit his tongue and looked away, refusing to give him the satisfaction of a reaction. Mr. Choi sighed and looked back at the television when the news program returned, unmuting it. “It will be nice to have my house back once you’re gone.”

Kibum fought the urge to roll his eyes. This had been happening all summer -- little digs, here and there, whenever there was no one else around to hear them. They were the one thing he wouldn't miss when Mom came to pick him up tomorrow afternoon.

"You're lucky I agreed to let you come here, after everything you've done to Minho."

What...what he had done to Minho? "I'm sure I don't know what you mean," he said before he could stop himself.

"Before he met you, he was a kind, quiet boy who never talked back. And now…" his voice trailed off with a defeated sigh. "I can hardly recognize him. It's a shame, really, what that school and your influence have done to him."

Kibum smirked when Ember sauntered into his lap and batted at a fly that landed in his knee. "Wow." Mr. Choi looked over, his eyebrows raising. "It's like you don't even know your own child."

"Listen, son -- "

"First of all, I'm not your son, and I'd prefer it if you didn't call me that. Secondly, I've done quite a lot of listening these past few weeks, and I think it's your turn." Mr. Choi worked his jaw but stayed blessedly silent. "Now, I don't know how you think I've been a bad influence on him. I guess I should be sorry that I helped him with his school work and feeling more confident in speaking English. I mean, it was really terrible of me to do…”

Mr. Choi scoffed, and Kibum watched him until he quieted, scratching Ember behind her ear. “I know you don’t like me because I’m a wizard, and normally I wouldn’t care, but I’m pretty sure that that extends to Minho as well. Which, I think he may suspect as much, because why else would he want to spend the entire summer break with me -- stuck in our empty school instead of at home. With you.”

Kibum shrugged, looking down at Ember when she moved to hop off his lap. “If I were you, I’d worry a little less about my influence and worry a little bit more about fixing your relationship with him. Because honestly? You’re really missing out, and as much as I don’t want to feel bad for you, I do. Just a little bit.”

Silence settled over them, cold and still and deafening. The clatter of dishes and the dining room and the sprinkler outside filled the void, both avoiding the other’s eyes. Would he regret everything he just said? Not for the moment, but he was sure that he would. At some point. A furtive glance at Mr. Choi told him it would probably end up being sooner rather than later, judging by the tilt of his slight smile.

Minho came bounding into the room, his hair damp from his shower. “Dinner’s -- “ his voice died in his throat as he stepped through the threshold, his eyes darting between the two of them. Mr. Choi stood first, patting Minho’s shoulder as he moved past him. "Is everything okay?" he whispered as Kibum got up from the couch.

"Don't worry," Kibum said, hoping his smile was convincing as he moved into the dining room.

Dinner was quiet. Neither he nor Mr. Choi spoke all throughout, the awkward silence from the living room still clinging to them. Minho, Minseok, and Mrs. Choi spoke amongst themselves, having given up on including the other two in any discussion. It wasn’t until Kibum and Minho started to clear the table that Mr. Choi cleared his throat, drawing everyone’s attention to him.

He raised his head, looking directly at Mrs. Choi across from him. “After tomorrow, Kibum is no longer welcome to return to our home.” The dishes in Minho’s hands clattered together as he dropped them on the table. “He’s been nothing but disrespectful towards me.”

I’ve been disrespectful?” Kibum blurted out, and Mr. Choi’s expression turned stony as he looked his way.

“You’ve forgotten your place. Clearly, it’s been too long since you’ve had a paternal figure in your life.”

Kibum’s mouth opened, but no sound came out. He gulped, blinking rapidly to stave off the tears that sprung to his eyes, and bowed slightly to Mrs. Choi. “If you’d, uh, excuse me…” He didn’t even wait for her to nod before he darted out of the room.

Mr. Choi’s voice rang out as soon as Kibum crossed the threshold from the kitchen into the hall. “Minho, finish cleaning up...Minho!”

Kibum turned at the base of the stairs, looking back to find Minho watching him. Worry etched itself in his expression, from the furrow of his brow to the downcast turn of the corners of his lips. His eyes were wide as he stared at Kibum. He looked very much ready to ignore his father’s command so he could run to his side. Kibum shook his head, then nodded back to the kitchen. No use getting Minho in trouble; he wouldn’t be the one leaving tomorrow.

He started up the stairs, feeling the weight of Minho’s gaze until the kitchen disappeared behind the banister.

Once Minho’s bedroom door was closed behind him, Kibum finally let his tears fall. He didn’t bother wiping them away as he flipped on the light and made his way to Minho’s bed, crawling in and curling into himself, his back facing the wall.

He probably deserved that comment, given everything he had said. Actions have consequences, and it was arrogant to assume he would be exempt from that.

His eyes squeezed shut as a fresh round of tears hit him, and he pressed his hand over his heart, hoping it would relieve a little of the ache.

It didn’t.

* * * * *

Soap bubbles floated up and out of the water as Minho scrubbed the last of the dinner dishes. Without looking, he was aware that Dad had settled on one of the stools on the counter. No doubt to explain himself. Minho turned his head, avoiding looking his way.

“I know you must be upset with me right now, but if you had heard what he said, I’m sure you’d understand.”

Minho didn’t respond. Instead, he turned the faucet on to rinse the soap off the dishes in the sink.

“I also know that I can’t monitor what you do or who you hang out with at school, but after everything I’ve seen this summer… It just confirms in my mind that Kibum is not good for you to be around.” He set the handful of metal chopsticks on the rack to dry and turned the faucet off. “He’s using your kindness against you, son. I don’t know how to get you to see it.”

“I don’t care.”

“What?”

Minho looked toward his dad, his chin raising. “I don’t care if he is or not.” When his dad started to speak again, Minho shook his head. “And, I don’t really care what he said to you. Whatever it was, I don’t think he deserved to hear that comment about his lack of a father.” He took a deep breath and looked back at the dishes, hurrying to put them away. “You can ground me for saying that if you want, it doesn’t matter to me.” He closed the cupboard before he looked back at Dad, “Can I go now?”

Sighing, Dad nodded, and Minho tossed the towel he was drying his hands off with onto the counter before he all but ran toward the stairs.

* * * * *

When the door creaked open, Kibum didn't even bother wondering who it could be. His hand dropped away from his heart as he sat up, following Minho's progress into the room. He sat beside him on the bed.

"I'm sorry," they both said at the same time. A pause, then Kibum looked Minho's way, inspecting his profile. "What are you sorry for? You didn't do anything…"

"I know, but…" He let out a long sigh. "He shouldn't have said that. About your dad. No matter what, he shouldn't have."

"That's still not your fault."

Minho looked over when Kibum sniffed, and he gently held Kibum's face in his hands, brushing away his tears with his thumbs. "Bummie, don't cry...it's gonna be okay." Kibum nodded, a fresh wave of tears crashing over him when Minho's hands slipped away from his face so that he could embrace him. He rested his chin on Minho's shoulder, his breathing growing more steady with each comforting against his back. "It's gonna be okay."

“I know.” He took a deep breath before he slipped out of Minho’s arms, wiping his eyes dry with a small smile. “I guess I should pack. Don’t want to overstay my welcome, huh?”

Minho gave him a half-smile at his attempt at a joke. “I’ll help you.”

They packed, then, as quietly as possible, so they wouldn’t disturb the others downstairs. They were often distracted, however, with items going into Kibum’s trunk or just around the room. Minseok poked his head in before he went to bed to check on them to find them laying on the floor and flipping through Kibum’s photo album. They didn’t end up crawling into bed around three in the morning -- Kibum joining Minho again as they decided to deflate the air mattress already.

Not that Kibum minded in the slightest, of course.

He woke to the slamming of a car door, his bleary eyes opening and staring at Minho, who was just inches away from his face. Kibum slipped out of bed and went to the window, watching as Mrs. Choi’s car back out of the driveway and started down the street. Which meant Mr. Choi and Minseok were already at work by now. Kibum went over to the nightstand, tapping one of the keys of Minho’s week-old cell phone to check the time. Almost nine...He looked back over the room, snorting at the state of it. They really got too distracted reminiscing last night to pack much.

No matter. He could pack his things while Minho slept.

Minho was still asleep by the time he had locked up his trunk and enclosed Nutmeg in his cage. He closed the bedroom door behind him as he went downstairs to make himself -- and Minho, if he were to wake up by then -- lunch. Just a quick sandwich, nothing fancy.

He wrapped up Minho's sandwich and cleaned up after himself, leaving no trace that he had ever been in the kitchen. When he was already halfway up the stairs, he heard a knock at the door. He tiptoed the rest of the way up and slipped inside Minho's room to check the driveway.

Mom was here.

Kibum breathed a sigh of relief, then, his attention shifted to Minho. "Hey…" he shook Minho's shoulders twice and he barely opened his eyes, frowning at Kibum. "My mom is here."

Minho sat up, rubbing the crusty sleep from his eyes. "Why didn't you wake me up earlier?"

"I wanted to let you sleep! We were up late." Minho harrumphed, which made Kibum chuckle. "Come on, buddy, help me carry my stuff downstairs."

It was quite the ordeal getting his trunk and Nutmeg downstairs and out the door with the help of a sleepy Minho. They made their way over to the open taxi trunk, and Mom arranged her things so that Kibum's could fit in beside hers.

She pulled him into a tight hug once his arms were free, and Kibum melted into it. "I'm so sorry I couldn't be home sooner, darling," she whispered as Minho opened the taxi door to put Nutmeg inside.

"It's okay, Mom." She hugged him a little tighter. "Let me just say goodbye to Min really quick."

"Okay." Her attention turned to Minho when she released Kibum. "Please thank your parents for their generous offer of letting Kibum stay here in my absence."

Kibum's eyes widened as he looked to the ground, avoiding both of their gazes. "Yes, ma'am, I will."

"I'll be right there, Mom," Kibum said, looking up when the car door opened. She nodded and slipped inside the taxi, and Kibum finally looked over at Minho. "I'm sorry, I know I probably ruined the rest of your summer."

"Don't worry about me." Kibum searched his expression, relaxing as Minho slowly smiled. "It's probably stupid to say this, but I'm gonna miss you."

"It's just gonna be a month…"

"And a half."

"And a half," Kibum repeated with a small smile. "I'll let you know when I'm home."

Minho nodded. "Say hi to Jjong for me."

"Will do."

Kibum pulled him into a quick hug. "There's a sandwich in the fridge for you when you get hungry."

"Thanks," Minho said as Kibum slipped out of his arms.

He opened the door to the taxi. "Yeah, uh, I'll see you soon, Min."

"Bye, Bummie."

The door closed and the taxi pulled away. He watched Minho wave goodbye until the car turned down the street and carried Kibum away.

Mom filled him in on everything that had happened while she was in Russia on their way back to Nottingham. And, in turn, Kibum told her about his finals and his summer. He didn’t get to the part where Mr. Choi had said that Kibum was no longer allowed to come back until they were sitting down for take-out.

“Do you regret what you said?” she asked once he finished his explanation.

“Not really.”

She nodded. “I probably would have done the same thing, if I were you. Was Minho upset with you?” Kibum shook his head, and Mom smiled. “Then you have nothing to worry about.”

He helped her clean up after dinner, taking the trash out to the street before making his way up the familiar stairs to his bedroom. He heaved a heavy sigh as he plopped down on his bed, scanning the wall of pictures across from him.

It was honestly stupid how much he missed him.

Tomorrow would be the first day since his return to Hogwarts after the funeral that he wouldn’t be with Minho. It wasn’t like they would be apart too long either...it was just...odd. And unsettling. Perhaps he had become too dependant on Minho’s company this year. Or, maybe it was just being back in this house that was throwing him off.

Probably both.

He stretched across his bed reached into the drawer of his nightstand, pulling out some writing supplies.

Min,

I’m home! Just wanted to let you know. I’m not sure if Jjong is home yet or not but I guess I’ll find out tomorrow.

Oh, also, I figured out that starting tomorrow, we only have 44 days until we see each other again. So do your best to enjoy those 44 days without my presence. I know it will be difficult but I believe in you.

Until September,

Kibum

He smirked as he rolled up the parchment. Nutmeg eagerly took the letter when he passed it his way. “To Minho,” he said as he opened the window to let Nutmeg out. He watched him fly away until the light in Jonghyun’s room flicked on. Kibum immediately turned and met Jonghyun’s wide eyes.

He hurried to his window, pulling it up and sticking his head out. “Hey, Ki!”

“I didn’t know you’d be back so soon!”

Jonghyun scoffed. “I’ve been home for two weeks. I heard you guys come home but Mom said to wait until tomorrow to go see you."

"You didn't have to do that."

He shrugged, leaning against the windowsill and raising his eyebrows. "So, how's Minho?"

Kibum's face flushed hot and he stared wide-eyed at the cheekily grinning Jonghyun. "We'll talk more tomorrow." Jonghyun's laughter followed him even after the window was closed.

He had forgotten over the summer that he told Jonghyun about his newfound -- or, rather, newly realized -- feelings toward Minho. And that was fine...it was actually a relief that someone else knew.

But…

It meant that he'd get teased non-stop by Jonghyun, of that he was sure.

He blocked out the moonlight and the streetlamps with the crook of his arm, his long sigh tickling his skin. As he closed his eyes, he could almost feel the weight of Minho sleeping beside him. He had gotten too used to that over the summer. Frowning, he rolled over, so that his back faced the wall, and tried to drive all thoughts of Minho from his mind as he drifted off to sleep.

When he woke, the first thing he heard was Jonghyun's distant laughter. It was coming from downstairs. Kibum shot out of bed and stumbled blearily across the room to the door, following the sound of Jonghyun’s laughter. He found him sitting at the counter in the kitchen, chatting with Mom as she fixed herself a cup of coffee while he sipped on one himself.

He turned and his expression brightened at the sight of Kibum standing in the threshold. “Oh, hey, Ki!”

Kibum smiled, still not fully awake enough to speak yet, and sat on the stool beside Jonghyun. “Sleep well?” Mom asked.

He nodded, his chin resting on his fists. "I think Minho's sleeping habits rubbed off on me."

"Oh?" Mom asked, and Jonghyun gave him a sly smile when her back was turned. His face inflamed as he rolled his eyes in an attempt not to smile. "What do you mean?"

"He sleeps until someone drags him out of bed, basically…" In his periphery, he could almost see Jonghyun wiggling his eyebrows suggestively and grinning. When she turned to put the sugar back in the cupboard, Kibum punched Jonghyun's arm and mouthed stop.

Both of them tried to hold back their giggles when she turned back toward them to get her coffee. She eyed them curiously, no doubt wondering what was so funny, and shook her head with a small smile. "I'll be in my office if you need me. And, if you feel up to it," she added as she walked away, "the greenhouse could do with some attention."

"Yes, ma'am," Kibum said, hoping his sigh wasn't evident in his voice.

They sat still until they heard the click of the office door closing, then they simultaneously turned to each other. "So -- "

"Tell me about you and Pierre," Kibum said before Jonghyun could continue.

Jonghyun shook his head and offered him a half-cocked smile. "Yeah, no, I've kept you pretty up to date. You haven't said ." He shook when Kibum started to speak. "Talk to me about Minho."

"But…" he sank down, hiding his face in the crook of his arm. "It's embarrassing." He rested his chin on his crossed arms and watched Kibum until he looked up. “He’s just really cute.”

“Uh-huh.”

“And sweet.”

“Right.”

Kibum huffed, hiding his face again. “I don’t know...what else to say…”

“Let’s go see what needs to be done in the greenhouse, then,” Jonghyun said, a smile in his voice. Kibum followed him out of the kitchen and down the hall, squinting at the dim, green daylight that streamed through the small, round window in the door to the greenhouse. Once the door swung shut behind him, he tossed Jonghyun a pair of Grandma’s old dragon-hide gloves, tugging one of her other pairs on himself.

It was quite obvious that the greenhouse had been untouched for quite some time now. The dittany was spilling over into the asphodel. Vines covered the walls, climbing up the beams and reaching for the warmth of the sun. Kibum grabbed one of the vials by the door as he made his way over to the bubotuber plant -- the stench of it filled the greenhouse...it had been waiting too long to be harvested.

“So, all things considered…” Jonghyun let that hang in the air for a second, clipping a few of the branches of the small Wiggintree in the corner of the greenhouse before he continued. “Was it an okay year?”

“Yeah. It wasn’t as bad as I was expecting.”

“Oh?”

Kibum nodded, despite knowing that Jonghyun wasn’t looking his way, and squeezed the first bit of pus out of the squirming bubotuber. “Minho was really helpful.”

“Really?”

“Like that’s a surprise,” he said, scoffing. He filled up the vial before he put a cork in it and went back for another one. “I’m really lucky he was there, honestly. I wouldn’t have been able to do it without him.” Jonghyun let out a non-committal hum, spurring Kibum to continue. “I don’t know, I guess…” he grimaced when the pus almost squirted onto his clothes. “I guess I don’t know where to begin because I don’t know when it started.”

“What do you mean?”

“My...my crush on Minho.”

“Ah…”

Kibum gulped, popping his neck as he harvested the last of the pus. “It hit me all at once, sure, but like…” He pressed the cork into the mouth of the vial. “I don’t know. It’s kinda weird, don’t you think?”

“You? Liking Minho?” Kibum nodded as he turned to look at Jonghyun. Who then chuckled. “Not really. It was only a matter of time.”

“You think so?”

“I know so.” He nibbled at his bottom lip and averted his eyes. “It’s nothing to worry about, I don’t think. I haven’t seen Min for a while but I’d guess that he probably likes you back.”

“Of course he does, we’re best friends.”

Like likes, Ki.” Kibum pursed his lips to stave off his smile or frown, he hadn’t decided yet. It was the strangest concept...the unspoken thing he had been trying not to get his hopes up for. And Jonghyun just...said it. “Am I saying you should act on your crush?” he asked as he walked closer to Kibum, leaning on the table beside Kibum. “Probably not a good idea at the moment. Not until you -- “ he emphasized with a gentle jab to his sternum. “ -- are sure about not only your feelings but also his.”

“When will that be?”

Jonghyun shrugged, smiling. “I don’t know. That’s up to you. But do yourself a favor and don’t rush into anything. Do you think your hunger will be met with your first bite of food?” Kibum smirked and shook his head. “I think we both know that he’ll be worth the wait.”

“I guess you’re right.”

“You guess?” Kibum laughed, his gaze following Jonghyun as he went over to valerian and grazed his fingertips over the tiny pink blossoms.

They worked in the greenhouse until Mom came to get them for dinner, swapping stories from their school years. Apparently, the seventh years asked for Nebulous Stardust to play for graduation at Beauxbatons. And it went quite well, judging by Jonghyun’s descriptive rendition of the entire ceremony and the impromptu concert that followed.

Jonghyun ended up spending the night for the next week, and then intermittently until he left for Beauxbatons a few days before September first. They joined Mom on her trip into London to give supplies from the greenhouse to Mrs. Prue at her apothecary in Diagon Alley. He and Jonghyun were given free rein of the Alley, which they took full advantage of. Kibum regaled him with little moments from his and Minho’s last trip as they passed by different shops. Jonghyun listened to each and every story, a small smile playing at the corner of his mouth.

When it started to rain, they wandered into the nearest shop. Scribbulus. They perused the wares, Kibum commenting on the pretty quills until Jonghyun called him over to look at the enchanted notebooks. “This set is connected…”

“How?”

“Wi...with magic?”

Kibum snorted, punching Jonghyun’s arm. “No . I mean...what does it do?”

Jonghyun picked it up, turning it over. “Apparently, whatever you write in one will show up in the other. No matter the distance.”

“Really?” His eyebrows rose as he picked up another set to inspect it for himself. “How much is it?”

“Five galleons, looks like.”

“I have two.”

Jonghyun dug into his pocket. “I have...four! Do you…”

“Yeah! It’ll be much easier to write to each other this way.”

They tested it out on the way home, Jonghyun in the navy blue notebook and Kibum in the black one. Even if they were sitting right beside each other on the Knight Bus, it was still cool to see Jonghyun’s handwriting magically appear in his notebook. They used it the whole time that Jonghyun was on his flight to France, as well as Kibum’s ride into London to King’s Cross a few days later.

When the Knight Bus stopped to let him and the other students off, he quickly scrawled. Hey, we just arrived. Got to go.

It only took a couple of seconds for Jonghyun to write back Say hi to Min for me~

Kibum flushed scarlet and snapped the notebook closed, glancing around to make sure none of his fellow students were looking over his shoulder. As if they could read Hangul. He slipped his notebook into his robe pocket and filed off with the others, excitement b in his chest as he took in the outside of the train station. Minho was probably already on the platform, waiting for him to arrive. He slipped around the others and jogged toward the entrance.

Once he stepped through the wall, he took Nutmeg over to where the owls were being loaded, and he scanned the cages quickly to see if Geum-nan was there. For a second, he thought he spotted her golden eyes as she was being carried onto the train. But, she disappeared from view, and Kibum set Nutmeg down with the others.

He sighed and shoved his hands into his robe pockets, twirling his finger around a loose string until he felt...oh… He pulled out his prefect badge, looking down as he struggled to attach it to his lapel. A pair of hands appeared in his line of sight, and Kibum bit back a smile.

“Here, let me get that.”

For whatever reason, he couldn’t make himself look up to meet Minho’s eyes. Instead, he focused on his hands...the freckles, the tiny scrapes...tiny scrapes? Once Minho had the pin secure, Kibum pulled Minho’s hand away so he could look at the scrapes without going cross-eyed. “What happened?”

“I was helping Mom weed her garden and I didn’t have gloves.”

“Ah.” Kibum released Minho’s hand, perhaps a beat too late. “How was the rest of your summer?”

Minho just shrugged, looking over at the train when the whistle blew. “Hey, don’t you have a meeting?”

“Yeah.”

He met Minho’s eyes then, his heartbeat quickening when Minho smiled. “I’ll see you later, then.”

“Right.” Minho adjusted the straps of his backpack and darted off toward the fifth car as Kibum made his way toward the first. He started up the steps, looking down the train to where Minho was boarding to find him caught in a plume of snowy exhaust. He jumped up onto the first step, looking down the train and raised his free hand to wave at Kibum.

Even from this distance, he could feel the brilliance of his smile.

Minho pulled himself up and out of Kibum’s view when the whistle blew once more, and Kibum blinked, looked away, and went the rest of the way up the steps.

* * * * * * * * * *

“Anything from the trolley?”

Minho sighed and glanced away from the Scottish countryside and to the Trolley Witch as she stopped by their door. Gil, Callum, Aaron, Seb, and Travis leaped up to get a snack. “You want something?” Gil asked, glancing back at him. He shook his head and turned back toward the window, pressing his forehead against the cool glass.

It had been a long forty-four days.

He hadn’t gotten grounded, which, in retrospect, might have been the better option. No, instead, his father barely acknowledged him until Minho apologized for his outburst. He wished he could have stayed strong, but he couldn’t stand the unrest in the house. Especially not since Minseok was leaving for the military before Minho went back to school.

So, really, he had to.

Gil plopped down beside him, passing him a couple of licorice wands with a smile. Minho took them, nodding his thanks. The others went back to talking about their summers, and Minho looked back outside as he ate. Once they reached the mountains, there came a knock on the window of their compartment, and they all turned to see Marvin grinning at them. “There’s our Prefect!” Seb said, shooting up from his seat to open the door. “How was the meeting?”

“Good. Boring.”

“So can you give points or just take away points?”

“We can do both.”

"Just not from other Prefects," Kibum said as he came up behind Marvin, his gaze darting to Minho as he leaned against the doorway.

Minho pushed himself away from the window, sitting up a little straighter. "Who are the others?"

"Me and Analecia and the new Slytherin ones…" He glanced over at Marvin. "Damien and...what's her name?"

"Chloe."

"Yeah, her. They're Gryffindor's." Minho's shoulders slumped slightly, and he leaned back against the wall. Great.

"It's me and Rhesa."

"What about Ravenclaw?" Callum asked.

"Uh…" Marvin squinted, looking hard at Gil as he tried to remember.

Kibum caught Minho's gaze again, held it, and nodded down the hall toward the rest of the cars. Minho slid off his seat and squeezed between him and Marvin as he slipped into the hall. He looked back when Seb said, "Hey, you don't have to parole, you aren't a Prefect…"

Gil shushed him with a wave of his hand. "They joined at the hip. He's a Prefect by association."

Kibum chuckled beside him and started down the narrow hallway, Minho reluctantly following. "Sorry," he said once Kibum opened the door so they could head to the sixth car. "They're right, I'm not a Pr -- "

"They're also right about us being joined at the hip. Come on." Minho sniffed in amusement and hopped over the connection joining the cars. He held out his hand for Kibum and pulled him along as he jumped. "The rest of your summer wasn't too bad, was it?"

Minho shook his head with a sigh. "Not really." It was basically more of the same, just without Kibum, now. He would have written, but he wasn't sure how his dad would have reacted. Undoubtedly, Kibum would understand, but Minho didn't feel like bringing it up.

Unless he asked. Of course.

Kibum tapped on the window of one of the first compartments, scaring a Gryffindor and a Ravenclaw who looked like they were about to start making out. Minho held back a laugh behind his fist when they stared up at them wide-eyed and moved out of their line of sight. He leaned against the wall as his shoulders shook with silent laughter, looking back at Kibum who was trying his best to be stern without opening the door. When he moved on and looked at Minho, his stony demeanor cracked with a raise of his eyebrows and a half-smile. Minho sunk to the ground, letting his laughter consume him.

"You're not helping," he said, punctuating each word with a light slap on Minho's shoulder.

"Sorry," he said as sweetly as he could manage, even if he knew he was anything but.

They continued down the hall and to the final car, checking to see that everything was in order. Minho made his way down the hall toward the back window while Kibum peered into the compartments.

The tracks stretched out behind them, curving through the heather-covered highlands. Mountains reflected in the loch beside the tracks. A couple of mermaids sunning themselves dove back into the water as the train zoomed past. Minho sighed, his breath fogging up the window.

“Sure is pretty, isn’t it?” Kibum asked as he stepped up beside him, looking through the window. “Wanna go outside?”

“Can we?”

“I’m a Prefect. I can do what I want.” Minho rolled his eyes and scoffed and Kibum grinned as he turned and leaned his head against the door. “How much longer until that starts to get annoying?”

“Starts?”

Kibum snorted and reached in between Minho and the door and opened it, the wind whipping through Minho’s hair. He stepped outside, grabbing onto the iron banister as he took a deep breath in. The cool, fresh air poured into his lungs, and he exhaled the pent-up stress from this summer. It was nice...being back with Kibum...heading back to Hogwarts. He took another deep breath, a small smile curling his lips.

Kibum’s hand brushed up against Minho’s as he grabbed onto the banister, the touch lingering even when Kibum moved his hand away. He leaned against it, crossing his arms as he looked up at Minho. It was just for a second -- he looked past him to the mountains -- but it bloomed warmth in his chest.

“It’s nice to be back,” Minho said, glancing at Kibum when he nodded. “Did you and Jonghyun have fun?”

“We did. Had to go to Diagon Alley again. No Knockturn this time,” he added with a dimpled grin.

“Aw, that’s too bad.”

“Yeah.” Kibum let out a sigh. “Minseok is back in Korea now, right?”

Minho nodded. “Dad, too. He’s staying until Minseok graduates from basic training.”

“Ah.” Kibum leaned further over the banister, stretching his arms toward the floor. And Minho, after a split second of thought, hurried to mirror him. The tracks flowed beneath their dangling fingers, Minho swinging his arms back and forth. “I hope you didn’t get in trouble on my account...”

Minho gulped and refrained from glancing Kibum’s way. “Don’t worry about me.” He sensed Kibum looking his way, then. “I didn’t.”

“Well, good.”

Shivering, Minho looked up, initially at Kibum but then beyond when Hogwarts came into view. The lights from the castle glittered over the lake as twilight set in, shining brightly even from this distance. He smiled.

It was good to be home.

* * * 

A/N 2.0: I'll be posting a bonus chapter that picks up where this leaves off after I finish it tomorrow! So be on the lookout for that ^^