Haunting

No way out

Minseok’s mind drifted back to reality when his phone rang. It was Jongdae.

”Dae ah.” He answered. 

“Hey Min!!! Why did you leave so early? Are you sick? What happened?” 

“Ah, yeah. My head hurts so bad. My stomach is sick too. I just went home to rest. Sorry about that” 

“Tsk. You work too hard, ey?? You need to get your own love of your life to help you with life stresses, man.” Jongdae teased. 

“Shut up. Did you call because you were concerned or just tripping?” Minseok complained.

”Calm down, meany. Loosen up! Discover. You love to give advices on how to live life yet you haven’t fully lived yours.” He sighed. “Hmm, if you won’t feel better tomorrow or the coming days, take your time. I can cover up for you.” Jongdae offered. 

“Whatever, whiny. Thank you by the way. I’ll let you guys know if I can come in tomorrow or what not”. Minseok said. 

“Alright. You rest, okay? Don’t think too much. Good night now meany”. 

“Thanks Dae. Goodnight, whiny”. 

 

——————————

 

Minseok could remember clearly. He couldn’t sleep that night. Thoughts of his past keep lingering inside his head. 

On the day of their college graduation, Joohyun and Minseok agreed to meet at the back of the school by 11pm so they can escape and start a new life. 

They were acting happy during the whole day. Both separately went with their families to celebrate the graduation. They’ll meet tonight anyways and it’ll be the happiest day of their lives. 

As Minseok was preparing his things in his room to sneak out, someone knocked. 

“Minseok, we need to talk.” It was her mom Kim Byul. 

They went to his dad’s mini office situated three rooms away from his. 

There, he saw his dad Kim Yong waiting. 

 

“Do you really think we wouldn’t know? You are having a romantic relationship with a woman you’re not supposed to have!! How inconsiderate of you?!!” His dad’s voice was loud. 

“And you got her pregnant, son. That’s too much. Our family can’t bear this humiliation. We raised you well, we gave you everything but why did you have to do this?” Her mom continued. 

Minseok was shocked. He didn’t expect his parents to know. He doesn’t have a choice but to admit it. 

“Yes, you’re both right mom, dad. I am not the perfect son you want me to be. I may not be who you wanted me to be. But.. but I did my best. I did my best to be the son you always dreamed of. She was the one who was there for me all this time. I am not leaving her if that’s what you’re trying to imply”. 

“Stop with your nonsense!! You are discontinuing your ties with that woman whether you like it or not” His dad demanded. 

“No dad! I can’t leave her now especially knowing she has my child. I can’t... I’m sorry”. 

Minseok was about to go when he saw his dad holding his chest, his breathing became too difficult to look at. A few seconds, his dad collapsed on the floor. 

“Minseok!!! Call our driver!! We need to rush him to the hospital!! “His mom was screaming. 

Minseok didn’t think straight. He had a plan with Joohyun that night. But his family needed him. It was his fault his dad was rushed. He couldn’t bear thinking about what will happen. He didn’t want to think at all. 

Joohyun arrived at their rendezvous around 10:45pm. She messaged Minseok. 

11:15pm. Still no sight of him. 

11:50pm. She was freezing. 

11:55pm. She kept on calling the man but there was no answer. 

Joohyun started to cry. Minseok didn’t show up. She decided to go home with tears. 

—————————————

 

Minseok fell asleep beside his mom in the hospital. He woke up seeing Joohyun’s messages and missed calls. He suddenly remembered his agreement with Joohyun and decided to immediately call the woman to apologize. 

However, Joohyun’s number could no longer be reached. 

“Why is her phone off? I hope I can still make it up to her”. Minseok said to himself. 

He decided to wait for a couple of days whie watching over his dad before he visits Joohyun to explain. 

Luckily, his dad was slowly recovering after a week. The doctor then gave permission that he is ready to get discharged and just continue with the medication at home.

Minseok found the time to sneak out and visited Joohyun’s apartment one day.

Joohyun lived alone. She moved to the city for college. Her mom married another man and built another family years back. Though she is close to her new family, she decided to live alone to be independent. Her family supported her and paid her place. 

 

“Joohyun?” The security head talked. “Ah, she already left 2 days ago. She had someone pick her up. A guy. It was the first time I saw him but he seemed close to her”. 

Minseok blinked a few times before he absorbed all the details. 

“Ahh. Ah.. thank you Mr Lee.” He rushed and ran quickly to escape his feelings.