Eight: Scavenger Hunts

The Boys of Summer

In the dining hall the next morning, the nine boys age thirteen to fifteen watched as the head counselors stood on top of a table. 

"Listen up guys! Today we're having a camp wide scavenger hunt! The winner gets a free pass to the store!" Head counselor Joonmyeon announced. The boys all shared a look. Usually they wouldn't participate in something like that, but free ice cream for the rest of camp was free ice cream for the rest of camp. The other head counselor, Yifan, walked around and handed each age group their first clue. Taeyong grabbed it and they all crowded around him. 

"Ready...go!" Joonmyeon yelled.

"It says 'what is the most colorful place at camp'?" Taeil read. 

"RIght now it's definitely the art shack. That place is a mess after all the dye from tie dyeing leaked everywhere," Doyoung responded. 

"Let's go then," Johnny said, the nine boys rushing down to the art shack to find their first clue. 

Once they reached the art shack, they found another note resting underneath the dyed shirts drying out in the sun. 

"If I was a fish, where at camp would I be?" Mark read aloud. 

"The pool, duh," Doyoung responded. 

"You're so good at this," Jaehyun mumbled softly as they rushed down to the pool before anyone else had even gotten to the art shack. 

"This was literally made for children," Doyoung answered with a chuckle. 

"Still..." Jaehyun spoke, with that little smile that made Doyoung's heart melt everytime. 

Once they reached the pool, they found the next clue. 

"Look...we aren't helping very much; we should probably just go," Ten said quietly. 

"You guys are NOT ditching us to go make out," Yuta responded agressively. 

"Yeah, you have to stay and help. Or else you don't get any ice cream," Sicheng added, Yuta possessively wrapping an arm around his waist. 

Ten rolled his eyes dramatically and groaned. "Fine, but you guys ," Ten responded. 

"All we want in this world is to go make out, and you guys took that from us," Taeyong added. 

"You guys literally make out for five hours every night! Now go find the clue so we can move on," Doyoung responded as Taeyong nervously searched for the clue, eventually finding it underneath one of the pool chairs. Doyoung read the clue to himself and immediately pointed in the direction of the ledge. 

"Come on guys; let's go." The whole group followed after Doyoung, putting their trust in him to win the prize. Free ice cream was incredibly useful. 

"I can't believe you wouldn't let me and Taeyong just go make out," Ten whispered to Doyoung. 

"You guys do so much of that already! I'm just worried that you guys won't established a mental relationship as well as a physical one," Doyoung responded. "And anyways, I need you and Taeyong here. You two have practically disappeared the past two days..."

"Are you saying that you've missed me?" Ten said with a happy smile. Doyoung rolled his eyes. 

"I guess I have," Doyoung groaned in response. 

"Aww!" Ten cried, hugging Doyoung tightly. "You're honestly a much better friend than you seem."

"That's...really nice to hear," Doyoung responded. He didn't really have that many friends back home so it was great to hear Ten call him a friend. It meant a lot. 

"We're here!" Doyoung suddenly yelled once the group was outside the counselor's cabins. "Now go look for a clue."

As the others searched high and low for the clue, Jaehyun came up to Doyoung. 

"You're really smart..." Jaehyun mumbled, brushing his hair out of his eyes. Doyoung blushed and looked at the floor, but when his eyes darted up he saw that Jaehyun's cheeks were also dusted pink. Doyoung couldn't for the life of him figure out why, so he brushed away the thought. 

"Thanks Jaehyun," Doyoung responded with a gentle smile. Jaehyun kept staring at Doyoung, and Doyoung furrowed his eyebrows in confusion. 

"Found it!" Taeil yelled, finally grabbing Jaehyun's attention. Taeil immediately handed Doyoung the clue and Doyoung took about five seconds to figure out the answer. 

"Let's go!" He called to the others, and they formed a crowd behind him. 

"Where are Taeyong and Ten?" Mark asked. Taeyong and Ten sheepishly poked their heads out from behind one of the cabins, walking over to the others with flushed cheeks and well kissed lips. 

"You guys have to concentrate!" Doyoung whined. 

"We're a power couple, okay? And power couples have to make out. All the time," Ten responded. 

Johnny laughed. "You guys are not a power couple."

"Shut up or I'll kick your ! Now let's find these dumb ing clues," Taeyong responded. 

"Sorry man," Johnny said sarcastically, holding his hands up as Doyoung lead them in the right direction. 

"We are a power couple," Taeyong grumbled under his breath, squeezing Ten's hand as they followed Doyoung's lead. 

The nine boys ended up at a fire pit towards the back of camp, and Mark picked up the clue right away, handing it off to Doyoung. 

"Holy crap guys, this is the last clue! We just have to go back to the dining hall to get our prize," Doyoung said excitedly. The others cheered and followed Doyoung back to the dining hall. 

Once they arrived, Doyoung handed the final clue over to head counselor Joonmyeon. 

"You guys finished already?" The counselor asked suspiciously. 

"Yeah," Doyoung simply responded with a shrug. 

"Huh. You're like the Baek of your age group...anyways, here are enough cards for your group. Congrats!" Joonmyeon said. They grinned as Joonmyeon gave them each a card that would guaruntee free food from the store for the rest of camp. They all mumbled their thanks to the counselor. 

"What should we do now?" Johnny asked. 

"Go get ice cream obviously," Sicheng responded. Everyone agreed, going to get whatever snacks they wanted for free before heading over to the ledge to relax. 

On their way to the rocks, they passed by Donghyuck's age group. 

"What clue are you guys on?" One of the twelve year olds asked. 

"We won already," Doyoung responded with a smirk, his ice cream bar. The ten to twelve year olds whined and groaned to each other. 

"I knew I should've pretended to be in your group," Donghyuck grumbled. 

"We wouldn't have let you," Yuta responded. 

"Come on then, let's go try and finish this up. Maybe they have a second place," the ten year old spoke. The others agreed and headed off. 

"Bye Mark," Donghyuck said slowly, his eyes dragging over Mark's small frame before throwing him a wink, running off to catch up with the others. It made the thirteen year old's whole face turn bright red. 

"We told you he likes you," Johnny said to Mark. 

"He just said goodbye to me! That's all!" Mark whined back, a little too loudly. Just then, they reached they ledge and climbed on top to get the best view. 

"He's gross anyways; it's best if you don't spend time with him at all," Taeil said, plopping down onto the rocks. The others sat next to him, Ten laying down and resting his head in Taeyong's lap and Sicheng on Yuta's lap. 

"Can we just talk about how great Doyoung is? He got that entire thing for us!" Jaehyun said with a big smile. Doyoung bit his lip and blushed but smiled a bit. 

"Agreed; this free ice cream is awesome," Ten responded. 

"You're cool as ," Johnny added. 

"You guys are too sweet," Doyoung said quietly. 

"No way," Taeil responded as Jaehyun rubbed Doyoung's arm, the action making Doyoung's heart pound in his chest and his heart beat even harder. 

"We mean it," Jaehyun said softly, directly looking at Doyoung, the casual smile coming off his face, replaced by a more serious look Doyoung couldn't read. 

"You guys sort of helped though," Doyoung mumbled. 

"Yeah, Sicheng found most of the actual clues once you found the places," Yuta bragged, wrapping his arms around Sicheng's waist. Sicheng didn't say anything, just bit his lip. 

"Excuse me,  was the one who found most of them," Taeil responded. 

"You're so touchey with him Yuta, are y'all a thing?" Taeyong asked, tucking a lock of Ten's hair behind his ear. Sicheng blushed and didn't say anything. 

"No way! He's just so cute! I wanna protect him!" Yuta said, and it came out sincere. Sicheng's face fell but he tried his best to hide it from the rest of the group. Only Doyoung caught the disappointed expression on his face, saving it for later to discuss with Ten (Ten brought out the secret gossip in Doyoung). 

The boys spent the afternoon just talking and laughing together, discussing their ridiculous counselors and Donghyuck, and how incredible this camp experience was. Doyoung wouldn't be surprised if the nine of them remained best friends for life. How was this place so magical? He couldn't quite explain it, but he felt closer to these teenagers than any acquaintances he'd ever made back home. 

Suddenly the dinner bell rang, forcing the boys to get up and go back to the rest of camp. To the chagrin of Kyungsoo, the chef, the boys barely touched their food, too full from ice cream. But hey, at least it was free.