Three: New Friends and Crushes

The Boys of Summer

The next morning, when all the boys were eating in the dining hall, their counselor approached them. 

"Okay today we're actually doing something. We're going on a hike with Jongdae and the sixteen to eighteens," Sehun said. Most of Doyoung's friends were excited, but he just groaned loudly. He knew Ten would make him come though, so he braced himself for physical activity. 

After getting changed and lining up to go, Donghyuck poked his head around the corner. 

"I'm coming along with you guys," he said firmly. 

"No you're not," Johnny responded. "Don't you have your own activities?"

"Are you a teen?" Jongdae, the sixteen to eighteens counselor asked. 

"Yes," Donghyuck responded. 

"No he's not," Yuta said. Jongdae turned to give Donghyuck a look. 

"Well, I'm twelve, so I'm practically a teen," he responded. 

"Twelve and thirteen are very different," Jaehyun interjected. 

"Yeah! Cool teen dab," Mark said and dabbed uncomfortably. 

"Thanks for completely disproving my point," Jaehyun responded. Suddenly, a very exhausted looking Chanyeol ran over to them. 

"Found you!" He said to Donghyuck in between gasps for breath. Donghyuck rolled his eyes and glared at the teenagers, following Chanyeol away from the others. 

"Alright guys! Follow me!" Jongdae said loudly, leading the group into the forest. Doyoung rolled his eyes but followed, a dead sort of look on his face. Doyoung looked around for Ten, but the fourteen year old had ditched him for Taeyong, hanging off of him almost ridiculously. Oh well; by the way Taeyong looked at Ten he seemed to like him back. 

"Are you okay?" Jaehyun suddenly asked Doyoung. Doyoung felt himself blushing at the sudden interaction, his eyes quickly darting to look up at Jaehyun before looking back at the floor. Jaehyun was really handsome; even Ten thought so. It made Doyoung uncomfortable in a way he couldn't explain. 

"Yeah," Doyoung chuckled in response. "I just don't really like hiking. Or, any sports for that matter."

"Really? It's funny that you came to an outdoor summer camp then," Jaehyun said. 

"To be honest, my parents made me go. They want me to get out of the house more. And make some friends," Doyoung responded. 

"Your parents should be happy then. You're going on a hike, plus you've made at least one friend," Jaehyun spoke, wrapping his arm around Doyoung. The contact made Doyoung's skin heat up and he wiggled his way out of Jaehyun's arms as fast as he could. Jaehyun frowned at his actions, looking him over with a sad expression before going over to talk to Mark. 

Doyoung frowned himself, looking at the long stretch of nature ahead of him and sighing. He had a long hike ahead, with just himself. 

~~~~~~~~~~

Doyoung was straggling at the back of the pack as they walked over a hill, praying that their lunch break would come soon. He was so tired, so hungry, and all he wanted to do was sit down. 

When they went over the hill, Doyoung was in shock. The view was absolutely stunning: a shot of snow capped mountains surrounding tree covered valleys. A few steps away were a few small pools of water next to a small lake, with spots to sit down next to it. The nature looked stunning, with the sun beating down and the sound of the birds and the trees flickering through his ears. Maybe that long hike was worth it. 

Doyoung grabbed his lunch from a strangely whistful looking Sehun and sat down in a far off corner. Luckily, Ten sat down next to him, feeling better about his friend ditching him. Taeyong came up to them and stood next to Ten. 

"The view is beautiful, isn't it?" Ten said, looking up at Taeyong. 

"It is beautiful," Taeyong responded, but his eyes were glued to Ten's face. Doyoung rolled his eyes at the cheesiness but Ten didn't seem to notice. Taeyong looked awkward after that, rubbing the nape of his neck. 

"Well, I'm going to go sit with Johnny and stuff," Taeyong said, running off. Ten watched him go with a loving sigh.

"Isn't he handsome?" Ten said to Doyoung once Taeyong was out of earshot. 

"I guess," Doyoung responded, biting into his sandwich. Ten did that corny little sigh again. 

"He's really sweet too. He's very quiet though. I feel like I just talk and talk and talk; I hope it doesn't annoy him," Ten admitted. 

"I mean, I have no experience with love and all, but from what I can tell he seems to like you," Doyoung said. 

"Really?" Ten responded. Doyoung nodded. 

"Ugh, I really like him too. He's the kind of guy I could just talk to for hours. He's definitely the cutest guy here and we'd make an adorable couple," Ten spoke. He squealed loudly. "Can you imagine? We'd be the cutest couple here at camp!"

Doyoung chuckled and nodded along with Ten. 

"Speaking of couples...what's going on with you and Jaehyun?" Ten asked, waggling his eyebrows and smirking at Doyoung. Doyoung rolled his eyes. 

"What do you mean?" Doyoung whined back. 

"You blush so hard whenever he even talks to you. Come on, you like him," Ten teased. Doyoung shook his head angrily, but his cheeks did start to turn pink. 

"See! You do have a crush on him," Ten responded to his actions. "Seriously though. How does he make you feel?"

Doyoung sighed, trying to put his feelings into words. "I dunno....I just really like being around him. And I always get this weird feeling in my stomach whenever I look at him or talk to him. Or hear the sound of his voice or laugh. I feel all hot when he touches me too," Doyoung explained. 

"And do those stomach feelings....happen to feel like butterflies?" Ten asked. 

Doyoung shrugged. "I guess you could say that," he responded. Ten grinned at him. 

"Then you most definitely have a crush on him," Ten said. 

"No way!" Doyoung whined, but even he knew he was lying. "It's just....I've never really had a crush on anyone before."

"No one?" Ten cried. Doyoung nodded shyly. 

"I can't even imagine that," Ten mumbled under his breath. 

"Guys! Come hang out with us!" Johnny suddenly yelled, beckoning Ten and Doyoung over to where everyone else was sitting. They looked at each other, shrugged, and walked over to the others. 

"I think I'm going to back flip into the lake," Johnny said, peeling off his shirt. Ten still gazed at Johnny lustfully, but went over to Taeyong much quicker than he would have a few days ago. It made Doyoung shrug, and he just sat down and watched everyone around him. Everyone looked up as Johnny prepared to dive, and he jumped off of the ledge, flipped over in the air, and smoothly landed into the lake. 

"I can do that!" Yuta cried, standing up and shaking off. He scrunched his face as he prepared to do it. Everyone watched him expectantly, wondering if he'd actually do it. 

"Come on!" Johnny yelled up to him. 

"I'm definitely going to do it!" Yuta yelled back. "Sicheng, look, I'm gonna do it," he added. Sicheng just watched him uncomfortably, everyone knowing he probably wasn't going to do it. 

" this," Taeyong grunted, pushing Yuta in and jumping in after him. 

" you!" Yuta screamed as he came up for air. Taeyong just shrugged and chuckled. 

"Ten!" Taeyong yelled. "Come here!" Ten and Doyoung shared a look, Doyoung winking at Ten before Ten ran over and jumped into the water. Doyoung heard them all giggling in the water and suddenly wanted to go in. He couldn't swim very well, but for once it actually seemed fun. No way was he jumping off that big ledge though, so he crawled down to the edge of the lake and slid in. 

"It's so cold!" He whined loudly, shivering uncomfortably. He heard a few splashes and Jaehyun and Mark's heads bobbed out of the water. 

"Let's warm you up then," Ten responded, swimming over to Doyoung and hugging him tightly. Suddenly, he felt all of the other boys wrap their arms around him. 

Doyoung had never been friendless at school, but he was usually way too focused on his studies to establish tight friendships. So to have all these boys hugging him like best friends made him feel special and loved in ways he'd never felt before. He grinned widely. 

"Thanks guys," he mumbled, warmed up from the heart. 

"Oh my god Doyoung is right!" A voice screeched. 

"Hug Taeil!" Ten responded, everyone swimming over to the freezing Taeil and hugging him tightly. Finally when Taeil pushed everyone off of him, the boys looked around. 

"Where's Sicheng?" Taeyong asked. Mark put his finger over his lips and pointed upwards to where the thirteen year old had fallen asleep on the rocks. Everyone quietly giggled at the napping boy. 

"He's just so cute!" Yuta said quietly. "Like in the baby or puppy way." 

"I just want to tuck him under the covers," Taeyong responded. 

"How is he so pure and innocent?" Ten asked. The whole group shrugged and laughed, finally starting to become friends.