Twenty Three: Sick of Pretending

The Boys of Summer

The next morning, Sicheng awoke to the sound of Yuta's heavy breathing beside him, something he'd become used to. He sighed at the sight of that beautiful, sleeping face, turning his head away before his heart hurt any more. 

But when he sat up, he noticed that everyone else was gone. His eyebrows furrowed with worry, he his phone to check the time. Eight-thirty. They must be at breakfast. 

As he wondered why the other boys didn't wake him up, he saw a yellow sticky note stuck to his side of the blankets. Peeling it off, he read the words sketched in Jaehyun's handwriting. 

"Dear Sicheng,

The rest of us had a talk and we decided that whatever was going on between you and Yuta needs to be cleared. It's weird for everyone. We're leaving the cabin to you guys so you two can discuss in private.

Love, your cabinmates."

Sicheng sighed at the note and stuffed it deep into his luggage. The others were right; he was sick of dancing around the issue between him and Yuta. He needed to hear Yuta say he didn't like him like that, so Sicheng could cut away his tendril of hope and move on before things got too painful.

Just then, Yuta's eyes blinked open and he looked around. Seeing Sicheng's face above him, his lips bloomed into a smile. 

"Good morning," Yuta said in his sleepy, morning voice, and Sicheng could feel his heart break. The smile quickly left Yuta's lips though when he noticed the cabin was empty. 

"Where are the others?" He asked. 

"We need to talk," Sicheng responded. 

"About what?" Yuta asked, pretending to be naive. Sicheng sighed. 

"Yuta.....you need to stop doing this to me," Sicheng said. 

"Doing what?" Yuta asked with concern. 

"Doing....this! Leading me along," Sicheng cried, and Yuta could only stare back at him. Sicheng sighed again, more audibly. 

"You can't be this blind; I know you're not but since you won't admit it I'll say it right out loud. I like you, okay? I like you a lot. I like you so much, and I've never really liked anyone before because I barely know anyone else my age other than you guys, so this is a really big deal to me, okay? You were so touchy with me and we were so close that I thought I might have a chance but you really lead me on. I know you know because when I tried to kiss you a few days ago you got all uncomfortable and didn't kiss me back and we haven't really talked since. I know you don't feel the same way about me, and as much as it hurts I need to be okay with it. But you keep leading me along! You tell me to sleep with me in your bed, you slow dance with me, you even kissed my cheek when you were drunk even though you don't remember. So, I need to stop leading me on and instead leave me alone. So I can get over you," Sicheng said, his eyes b with tears. After the end of his long monologue, his couldn't even look Yuta in the eye, staring down at the rustled sheets beneath him. He couldn't see Yuta staring straight at him, worry and sadness dancing in his eyes, but he could hear his long, labored sighs. 

"I-I'm sorry. I don't ever want to hurt you," Yuta finally spoke. 

"That can't be helped," Sicheng responded. 

"Sicheng," Yuta said firmly, and Sicheng finally looked up at him. Yuta paused for a few seconds before finally speaking. 

"When you tried to kiss me a few days ago, I honestly wasn't rejecting you. I was moreso confused, because I'd never really thought of you that way and I didn't think you thought of me that way either. A-and, well, I've been thinking about it for a few days. Actually, it's all I've been able to think about, and god have I missed you. The truth is, I started noticing how protective and touchy I had been with you, and I asked myself: have you always liked him? And I looked into my heart, and realized it was true," Yuta admitted with a sigh as Sicheng's eyes widened with surprise. "Now, I guess I didn't realize it sooner because I went through a pretty bad break up a few months ago and I was sort of afraid to open up my heart again, so I tried to pretend like I didn't feel that way about you. But the truth is, I like you too Sicheng. I really do." 

All Sicheng could do was stare back at Yuta, eyes huge and pretty lips slightly parted. He'd truly built up the fact that he'd get his heart broken, so this was coming as a complete surprise to him. Yuta felt the same way? It couldn't be true. 

"You don't have to lie to me out of pity; I swear I'll be fine," Sicheng said, looking away from a just-as-shell-shocked Yuta. 

"I could never do that!" Yuta cried. "I told you I don't ever want to hurt you, and I know that would hurt you in the long run even if it would save your feelings now. I'm telling you the complete truth; you can ask Ten or Taeyong or Taeil if you want and they'll tell you what I told you. I really really like you Sicheng." 

"Promise?" Sicheng shyly asked, still afraid of getting his heart broken. 

"I promise, a hundred percent," Yuta responded. Sicheng's eyes looked from the bed to Yuta to back again. 

"So...what happens now?" Sicheng asked with a little uncomfortable laugh. Yuta chuckled back, also unsure of what to do. 

"Um, I mean, well, I kinda wanna kiss you," Yuta said, and Sicheng smiled at how flustered Yuta seemed. Usually, Yuta seemed so in control of himself, and it was weird for Sicheng to think that he was the one making Yuta nervous. 

"You can kiss me," Sicheng responded shyly, his cheeks turning slightly pink. Yuta scooted over to him on the bed and rested his hand on the back of Sicheng's neck, looking him over for a moment before slowly leaning. Sicheng blinked his eyes shut and leaned in himself, until finally he felt the feeling of Yuta's lips against his. 

They had kissed before, but it had always been different since it had been just a dare or in a game of spin the bottle. Now when they kissed, it felt so much more intense, so much more real because they both knew they were kissing out of their own free will and out of deep affection for each other. It felt good, really good, and Sicheng was sure he could get used to the feeling. 

Yuta's lips were plush and soft and Sicheng could already feel himself becoming addicted to them, so as soon as Yuta tried to pull away Sicheng leaned in close and kissed him once again. 

Yuta's hands drifted from Sicheng's head to his waist and held him steady, while Sicheng rested his hands lightly, mouths pressed together passionately. With each passing moment Sicheng was getting happier and happier. Yuta liked him back, a lot, and he didn't have to get his heart broken or distance himself from the boy he liked so much. They got to stay close to each other, by each other's sides day by day (at least until the end of camp, which Sicheng didn't even want to think about).

Sicheng was the one who pulled away from the kiss this time, wanting to see Yuta's handsome face again. And Yuta let him, smiling back at him wide. 

"Cuddle with me?" Yuta asked, and Sicheng nodded with a big smile. Yuta tucked Sicheng back underneath the blankets and crawled in next to him, wrapping his arms around Sicheng's slim body. 

"Am I your boyfriend now?" Sicheng asked as Yuta tucked Sicheng's head into the crook of his shoulder. 

"Of course," Yuta responded, pressing a soft kiss to Sicheng's cheek and interlacing their fingers. Suddenly, the door to the cabin burst open and Mark strode in before noticing the couple. 

"I think they're still asleep," Mark yelled to whoever was outside. 

", now they'll wake up," Johnny's voice responded. 

"No, we're awake we're awake," Yuta said, turning towards Mark. Mark's eyes widened. 

"I think they had ," he shouted to Johnny. 

"We did not have !" Sicheng whined loudly. 

"Then what are you guys doing?" Mark asked. 

"Can't a guy cuddle with his boyfriend?" Yuta responded with annoyance. Sicheng beamed at how Yuta called him his 'boyfriend' and even Mark grinned wide, running outside. 

"They didn't do it they're just cuddling because now they're dating!" Mark explained to the others as he shut the door to their cabin. 

"Thank god; I thought we were going to have to murder Yuta for violating Sicheng," the couple heard Doyoung say, and they giggled to each other.