SOJUNG'S DEATH

DOWNPOUR

 

 

 

 She opened the wardrobe wanting to find her mother’s favorite shirt but her eyes see something that she never see before. Felling curious Yewon goes closer to it and open the drawer.The thunder clapped loudly as the lightning beamed for a second. It can be seen from the room where Yewon at. Sometimes Yewon startled a bit because a sudden thunder that clapped loudly but her eyes still looking at the thing in the drawer.  It’s the same thing with the thing that she played with her unnie in the video game. It’s is a high capacity magazine 9mm semi auto pistol in her hands and Yewon can’t believe it either. Her family is a fan of shooting firing video games especially Yewon and her sister Sojung, but Yewon never know that her parents actually have it one in their wardrobe.

Being a curious kid and thought it will be cool, Yewon take it out and held it firmly. Its a little bit heavy for a ten year old kid like her, but she still hold it tightly.

“Wahh This is really cool!” Yewon say excitedly while trying aiming somewhere in the room. For a while she forget that she actually scare to sound of thunder. She is too excited holding the real magazine that she always saw in the video games before.

“Let’s try this” Yewon say  and hold the gun tightly and point it aimlessly. Without waiting much longer, she pulled the trigger and shoot at the room wall. Yewon shut her eyes tightly and hold her ear after the shoot. She can feel her ear buzzing and she is thought she going deaf for a second.

“Wow, that’s--that--ugh--my ear--this is cool! Daebak !!” Yewon say and try again even she can feel her head getting dizzy already as her body wobbly a little bit.

Yewon fixed her position and hold the gun firmly once again. After regaining from her dizziness, Yewon try again and this time she suddenly become ambitious. She want to shoot something instead aim it everywhere in the room. Yewon eyes darted at the room doorknob. She then take her position and aim it carefully.

‘Kim Yewon can do this!! If I can hit that, I’m really a cool person’

She thought while aiming at the door and pull the trigger again.Effortlessly.

But, right after Yewon pulled the trigger, the door suddenly opened and Sojung stand in front of it. Yewon froze. How she was hoping that she didn’t pull the trigger so sooner. How she was hoping that she didn’t found the pistol before, how she was hoping that she didn’t enter the room earlier. Everything happened too fast and everyone who saw it still froze, can’t say anything.

Sojung shocked as she hold onto her lower stomach. Like in the drama, Sojung try to walk and goes closer to Yewon  with her grimace face, but after a few steps, Sojung’s thin body flop weakly on the floor. But still no one is move closer to her, everybody still froze, still busy to register everything in their own head.

“Y--Yewon-ah” Sojung call Yewon weakly as she try to fixed her position and support her body at the wall.

“Yewon-ah come here” Sojung call again Showing her smile to Yewon assuring that she is okay. Yewon snapped drop the gun on the floor and run to Sojung with her tears on her face.

“U--unnie! S--Sojung Unnie, I--I’m sorry--I--I--unnie, I’m sorry” Yewon crying hard, like a baby. She tried to cover Sojung’s wound with her trembling hand. Sojung’s white shirt already turn into bloody red. The older girl’s blood can be seen around her but she still smiling to her maknae, want to assure the girl that she’s okay.

“H--hey, unnie is alrigh--t, stop c--crying like a ba--baby. This I--is nothing okay? I’m al--alright”

“U--unnie, yo--your--blood--face--red--y--”Yewon can’t say any words. She’s chocked by her own words. Sojung’s pale face and her blood is everything in the room. It’s scared Yewon.

“I will be a--alright, remember un--unnie is a fighter. Th--this is nothing, unnie will be alrigh--alright. Don’t wo--rry” Sojung say as she sweat like crazy. Her face start getting pale and her eyelid getting heavier. Sojung thought she is sleepy. She just want to sleep that time.

"Unnie !! Sojung unnie !! no no ! Open your eyes, dont sleep unnie !!"

"Unnie--is sle--sleepy Yewon-ah. J--ust let me take a nap for a--while okay? Dont worry. Unnie will be okay"

“No! Unnie, you are not okay ! Unnie I’m sorry ! I’m--someone--someone--aunty please call ambula--ambulance! Aunty Song, p--please call--the--Sojung unnie, Sojung unnie !!--”

Then the worker that in there comeback to the real world. All of them started panicked and do what the little girl said. All of them still in shocked but try to regain themselves and do what is the most rational to do that time. While Yewon still crying, wailing to her unnie, hoping that the older girl stay with her. She is crying hard as the rain pouring hard outside. There’s no thunder can be heard anymore but replaced by the downpour hitting hard the roof, signaling it’s is really raining hard outside and also inside Yewon’s heart. Sojung started to feel weak and Yewon cry hard even more.

Without even Yewon realize, there is someone has been saw everything. From the start. She saw how shocked Sojung’s face is when the bullet hit her, she clearly saw how Sojung’s white shirt turn its color to bloody red. Basically she witness everything. Her tears started falling when Sojung start flop weakly on the floor, but she also didn’t know why she can’t come closer to the girl. Feels like her feet has been glued to the floor.

After a while and come to her sense, her trembling hands search for her smart phone in her pocket. She just want to help Sojung and call for ambulance but then some worker stop her and take her phone.

“What are you doing?”

“I--I’m--I am just trying to call the ambulance, So--Sojung unnie, need some help”

“No need, we will take care of it and one more thing, please keep this as a secret. Kim’s Legacy might have a bad record and the shares might be going down. So I hope you will not gonna expose this to anyone”

She tighten her fist in anger and stare at the worker fiercely.

“You still think about that?! Sojung unnie is laying helplessly there and you still care about the company’s ing shares?!!”

“You don’t understand Miss. This might be a bad thing, Miss Yewon might be end up in jail if anyone know this and we believe Miss Sojung also don’t want that”

“But at least call the damn ambulance! Call something to help Sojung unnie!! Don’t just care about the company’s image!!” She finally raised her voice as she can’t handle it anymore.

“lease corporate with us Miss, we will called for help,dont worry. We have our own private medic team. Don’t think just because you are Miss Sojung’s friend we will let you talk rudely to us. Now please go out, we wil handle this”

“No ! I’m not going anywhere! I want to stay by Sojung’s unnie side until she get better!”

“Take this girl out and make sure she didn’t come here anymore” The worker said and few worker come to her and try to throw her out from the villa. She cry and shout loudly calling for Sojung’s name but the worker just pushed and pulled her harsly.

“Please let me see Sojung unnie, please !”

But no one listen to her words and she is just a fourteen year old girl who can’t win three guys holding on to her. The only that she can do is crying and take a little peek to Sojung who seems already faint at the scene and that is the last thing she ever see before the door shut tightly in front of her. They leave her outside the door without even listen to her begging. Few second after that, she pulled gently by the security guard and walk her way to the main gate.

“Miss, you will need this. You will get sick” The old man security handle her an umbrella that he get from the guard house but she just ignore it. She don’t need any umbrella. She just let the rain hit her and make her soak in the rain.

“Ahjussi”

“Yes miss?”

“Please let Sojung unnie, be alright. Please don’t let anything happen to her”

“What are you talking about Miss? Is something happen?”

“You really right, we may not know if something ever happen in the house”

“I don’t understand what you said young lady? Don’t just stand there, you will get sick”

“I will come here again in a few days, and I hope there will be a good news” Then she left. Leaving the security dumbfounded.

 

 

“I did a good job today. Right Sojung unnie? I really did. I believe you also agree with me. How am gonna supposed to tell Eunha? You should be alright Unnie. Please be well Unnie”

Cries. And the rain seems understand her heart too. The skies crying hard too. Just like her. Just like Yewon.

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Yerin unnie!”

“Y--Yes?”

“Are you going somewhere? Don’t go, we didn’t even get to celebrate your birthday yesterday and today already 20th August, we need to celebrate it today!”

“Aigoo~~Eunha ya, unnie is old enough to celebrate birthday. You don’t have to celebrate it okay? Tell dad also, you guys don’t have to celebrate it”

“Okay! But unnie? Where do you want to go? And what is that? Is that a gift? Are you going to celebrate someone’s birthday?”

“H--huh? Y--yeah. I--it’s for my friend. For my friend”

“Let me go with you! Can I ?!”

“N--no you can’t Eunha. Unnie already late, bye my bunny”

 

 

“This is Kim Sojung Unnie’s house right?” Yerin asked to the security guard after wandering there for a few minutes.

“Yes, Who are you?”

“I--I’m Jung Yerin. Is Sojung unnie in there?” Yerin ask as her eyes look at the big villa that located few hundred meters from the main gate.

“Miss Sojung is out for a while. Come here and wait inside, it’s dangerous now” The old security say to her.

“I--it’s okay. I--I will wait here” Yerin say again. Shy.

“Or you can come directly into the house, Miss Sojung will scold me if she saw her visitor drench in the rain, do you want to come into the house?”

“N--no, it’s okay. I will wait for her here then. I will wait for Sojung unnie in here” Yerin then step into the guard house and shook again. She is aware that Sojung’s family is rich, but she just can’t believe it herself.

‘Even the guard house is so comfortable’

“Do you want to eat ramyeon? Ramyeon is the best when raining”

“I’m alright. Ahjussi, you should eat a proper meal than eat ramyeon” Yerin say after getting comfortable to the old man.

“Don’t worry, I eat well more than you think young lady. Kim’s family really take care of their worker”

“That’s good to hear. This villa is really big, it’s my first time seeing this kind of place”

“Yeah, this place is big. You know, when I was first time working here, I even get lost. You don’t really know what is happen in the house if you outside here”

“Why is that?”

“Just like what you said. This place is really big. Oh ! It’s Miss Sojung’s car !”

Then Yerin stand up, looking at the gate. She smile when both of them make an eye contact from afar. Sojung’s smile is really beautiful.

 

“Yerin-ah did I’m too late? I’m sorry”

“It’s okay unnie, I know you are busy with your boyfriend”

“Here we go, you being jealous again. Stop that frowning, you should smile it’s your birthday party”

“Why don’t you invited him?”

“I know you hate it, so why would I? It’s your party, I don’t want to see you frowning all the time. Why you didn’t bring my little bunny?”

“Unnie ! It’s my birthday, you should pay attention to me only!”

“Jeez, pity Eunha”

“I did a good job right? Hheehhehe”

“What?”

“By not bringing Eunha”

“I’m not sure about that, let’s go inside first. Yewon might be excited to see you”

“Ahh~~ I bought a present for her, but it’s not that grand”

“Aigoo~~ I didn’t ask you to buy her present”

“I still want tho”

Sojung just pat Yerin’s head softly before mess the girl’s bang. They happily step inside the house and once again, Yerin’s jaw dropped.  The house is really big than what is her expect. She can’t even describe it. The house is too perfect.

“Are you done arrange everything Helper Song?” Sojung ask as she and Yerin take a sit on the soft couch.

“It’s almost done Miss Sojung, do you need to add something?”

“It’s alright. Just stick like the plan. You already chan-- that’s surprise me!” Sojung shocked. The thunder clapped loudly outside make everyone in the living room startled for a second.

“The weather, hmm you already change the plan for the pool party right?” Sojung continue.

“Yeah, I told Mr Lee to arrange it in the indoor pool, since the weather is unpredict--”

Sojung raised her eyebrow. Not because Helper Song didn’t finish her words but because uncertain sound that come somewhere in the house. She is pretty sure that not a thunder sound, but then she shake her head again and look at the Helper Song to continue her words.

“Since the weather unpredictable. It’s been raining hard and the thunder keep clapping just like now”

.

.

“Wait” Sojung say then keep silent again. Seems like she is thinking something. The sound just now, still echoing in her head.

.

.

“Wait ! Wait !--Yewon !!? Where’s Yewon!!?”  Sojung ask. Suddenly remember Yewon as she stand up followed by Yerin.

“She’s in the master room I guess. I saw her entered the room before” Some worker said and right after that Sojung rush herself, pull Yerin with her. Everyone who saw her panicked face follow her and look at each other before they follow from the back. Confuse.

“Yewon--”

 

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

"It--it's all my fault. I told you i--i'm really a killer Eunbi" Yewon burried her face on Sinb's chest. After a long time keeping it by herself, after ten years keeping it by herself, finally Yewon tell about it again, for the first time. Sinb who listened for the whole story can't say anything. Yewon must be having a hard time keeping it by herself. 

"If you--want to stay away from me, i accept it. I know no one will accept a killer like me. You deserve someone better than me Eunbi" 

"H--hey, hey !. Dont say that. Why would you say that? No ! I'm not gonna go anywhere,  i will stay by your side, no matter what" 

"But i'm a killer !" 

"You are not, it's not your intention to do that. Stop saying you are killer, because you are not" 

"I--I'm--I--"

"You never kill anyone, you didnt kill any. Please stop saying that. I really hate it yewon. It's not your fault, because no matter happened i know it's only misundertsanding, you never killed your sister"

"Eunbi I--"

"I love you Yewon, so please, please dont ever told me to stay away from you because i will not gonna do that"

Listening to Sinb's words make Yewon cry even harder. She is touched by Sinb's words. It's also been a long time since she heard a warm words from someone. While Sinb only hug and comforting Yewon silently. She promise to herself, that she will never leave Yewon side. No matter whatever happen. She will never. 

"I'm not gonna leave you. I promise Kim Yewon"

 

......................................................................

 

 

"Uncle Jiwon?" 

"There you are, have you been well?" 

"I'm o--okay, but uncle what are you doing here?" 

"This is a coffee shop. Everyone can come here"

"Oh! Okay then . What would you like to order? It's my treat!" 

"Aigooo~~ look at you, stop treating, you dont even have a money. Yewon already told me" 

"Aishhh, alright your treat then" 

"Mocha Latte" 

"Noted. I will be back"  

 

 

After twenty minutes, Sinb come back to Jiwon's table when she saw the man call her.

"What is it uncle?" 

"Can you spare your time? I have something to tell you"

"Now?"

"Yeah, now" 

"Wait" Five minutes, Sinb then comeback to the table with her casual outfit. Jiwon only look at her weirdly and knowing what is in his head Sinb say.

 

"Heee, Yerin unnie will scold us, if we wear our uniform and sit here. It's our protocol"

"Ohh~~"

"So, what is it?" 

"I just want to clear something for you" 

"What is it?" 

"Yewon is not really a killer"

"Huh? B--but i never said her one. I--i--di--" 

"I know, you dont have to be panic like that. I just want to say it. Everything what Yewon told you is right, she really did shoot Sojung"

"Yeah, i believe it. Then?" 

"Yewon didnt tell you right?" 

"Tell what?" Sinb frown. Confuse.

"Sojung die because of the late treatment. She lost too many blood. It's true that Yewon shoot Sojung, but Sojung could have been alive that time if they give her treatment immediately. Our private medic get stucked in the road, because that time rain is raining hard, the water started blocking the road for five hour  and also that time, the tree is blocking the road completely because get strucked by lightning. No cars can passed by and ambulance also can't come because of the road. Sojung is underweight and skinny, she couldn't last that long, she lost too many blood. And she let out her last breathe in Yewon's arm"

"I--i see, but why Yewon didnt tell me the rest of this?" Sinb ask.

"Because Yewon herself want to believe that she killed her own sister. She shot her. She want to blame herself for the rest of her life" 

"But thats not really her fault" 

"I know, still. Yewon always keep in her mind that she is the causes her sister died" 

"It must be hard for her for this whole time"

"She even try to kill herself by doing the same. She even ettempt to shot herself by the same gun before and luckily our worker saw her. It's not even second or third, we also can't count it how many times. I'm really worry about her, that is why we left the villa. Stay in the villa will only make the situation worse and will only make Yewon sad even more. I dont want she kill herself. She is the only family i have. I can't lose her" 

Jiwon's tears start falling and he wipe it fastly. But second by second, his tears can't be handle and flow it out even more. He just cry weakly infront of Sinb who already lost words. 

"So i beg please don't ever leave her side. It's been a long time i have seen Yewon smile widely. It's been ten years since Yewon laugh. Hearing Yewon's laugh today when i visit her apartment make me want to cry. Y--you really change her. Yo--you make her laugh come back. Th--thank you Sinb" 

"Un--uncle..."

"I dont even know how to thank you. Yuo really change her--tha--that is why i come here, i just want to tell you the real story, that Yewon didnt really killed Sojung, she'--s sh--i just dont want you left her after knowing that she shot her sister"

"U--uncle Jiwon--"

"I beg you--please don't leave her. Please always make me happy. Only you can make her smile like now, i can't do that. Only you. I'm willing to give you anything, please just stay by her side"

"Uncle Jiwon. I'm not gonna leave her side. Never. I've promised her. I promise you i'm not going anywhere. I love her uncle. I will not gonna leave her, believe in me"

"T--thank you Sinb"

"Because no matter what, i will not gonna leave her side. I promise. I love her" Sinb say sincerely. She never want to leave Yewon. She love the girl so much. She not gonna leave Yewon. She promise.

 

 

Not far from their table, Eunha has been eavesdropped everything. Listening to everything make Eunha cry silently. Her Sojung unnie is really dead. And it's hurt. Eunha can't believe that Sojung has been dead for ten years already, and no one tell her a proper story. Not even her Yerin unnie. Yerin never tell her any make Eunha mad even more. How come her sister did that to her, she told Yerin everything, she even told that she love Sojung which is she called her Sowon unnie. How dare Yerin hide it from her, when she told Yerin everything. 

But it's too late. Eunha just know about it after ten years. After Sojung dead for ten years already. 

 

"That you for make her happy Sinb yah" Eunha can heard the man words again. She tighthen her fist. 

 

'but i'm not happy!' Eunha say in her mind and wipe her tears harshly before left the cafe.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

THE END ....

lolXD