Nine

Slowly Coming Out
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

This is about Kwon Jiyong which means the events below happened in the past.

 

x

 

 

Kwon Jiyong was a bright boy. He heard his mother’s friends always said that. Even as a child he couldn’t hide how bright he was in the class and social life. He was teachers' favorite. There were many children wanted to be closer to him. His passion in music and dancing has shown since he was five years old.

When someone asked him what he wanted to be when he grew up later, he would say a famous musician. When his teacher asked him what kind of music he liked the most, he said hip hop.

“I want to be a famous rapper someday.” 

That was what he said when he was a child and as the youngest in the family, he tended to be spoiled by his parents. There were many offers from entertainment company in Seoul looking for a future star, Jiyong remembered how he begged his mother and father to let him in.

Jiyong and their parents chose YG Entertainment, because one, it wasn’t a big company to begin with and the contract wasn’t as complicated as SM, his parents believed that this dream was just a temporary dream of their child, so it wasn’t difficult for them if Jiyong asked to retreat. Two, Jiyong loved hip hop underground music and YG's music tasted just like him. They connected well. Three, despite Jiyong being a bright child, he felt slightly intimidated by SM who had so many good looking flower boys. Jiyong wasn’t ugly, but the kid always said he was just an average boy.

So when his mother asked him if he's just an average boy, why would he want to become an artist? Jiyong said because he loved music, he didn’t want to be a  famous person only because of his look.

Was that enough?

His mother was worried about him, Jiyong was a shy kid and it was kind of hard for him to open up with people, even though everyone wanted to be his friends. But his father said to believe in his boy.

If there's one thing Jiyong was confident about, it would be music.

One day Mrs Kwon came to pick Jiyong up after his training and he saw Jiyong came out with someone hand in hand. He introduced that someone to her as his rival in music and also friend, Mrs Kwon immediately knew there was nothing to be worried about.

Jiyong couldn’t stop talking about his new friend. This was the first time his family saw him looking excited about someone instead of himself or his passion. Because Dong Youngbae was brigther than their son. He was better in dancing and singing. But instead of being intimidated like when he was talking about beautiful boys in SM, Jiyong was glowing and spirited by such talents.

That time, Kwon parents realized that Jiyong was lonely because he has never been treated equally in his grade, he was always above the others. After he met Youngbae, Jiyong had the new courage to work harder and be the best between the two.

Years passed, Jiyong met Im Jung Hwa and Bae Hwayoung at his new school. The two were like Dong Youngbae, shining bright in their own way. Im Jung Hwa had this awesome charismatic personality as the only heir of his family's heritage. Bae Hwayoung was one of a kind girl with so much confidence and uniqueness.

For the first time Jiyong felt what love truly was. It wasn’t a surprise for his family, they knew it from the start. Jiyong has always been shy and nervous around boys more than girls. He acted like the girls seeing their crush whenever he was around boys. He asked his mother innocently, once, if two boys were allowed to live like his parents now. Mrs Kwon hugged him tightly and only said that she would always love him no matter what.

They let Jiyong have relationship with Im Jung Hwa. Even Youngbae was happy for Jiyong which Jiyong and both his parents were very thankful of. Youngbae said he would keep the secret until he died. That made Jiyong loved Youngbae a lot as his brother, the only boy he didn’t feel awkward and have attraction to. That was also the first time Jiyong was obsessed into something other than music.

Love. The most beautiful word and wonderful feeling for everyone who experienced it. 

Jiyong started writing around that time, he was helped by Hwayoung. He did that because there were new trainees arrived that afternoon. One of them was a rapper like Jiyong, but with a better tempo and deep voice. He was an underground rap battle champion. The other one, even Youngbae couldn't surpass the new boy's high note. His voice was insanely strong and beautiful. It made YG gaped, couldn’t say negative feedbacks for once. Those new additions were like a hurtful slap to Jiyong and Youngbae tired asses.

Combining his two most obsessions, which were music and love, made him an awesome lyricist. Yang Sajangnim praised his work a lot, saying that his lyrics were potential to gain cash with a little bit polishing here and there.

Jiyong was happy. He was full with everything in his still very young age. He had rich and protective boyfriend, friends who were as talented as him and kept motivating him to do better each day, lovely family, and the boss's recognition of his music.

Jiyong had enough, he didn't want to ask more. That was until Bae Hwayoung told her feeling for him and Im Jung Hwa suddenly asked for marriage.

“Jung Hwa asked me something this morning, Bae.” Jiyong said to Youngbae who was sitting beside him. They've just done practicing a new choreography for weekly examination.

“What is it?” Youngbae gulped down his drink and shared it with Jiyong.

“He asked for my hand.”

“What do you mean?”

“Marriage, Bae. He wants to marry me.” 

Youngbae should have been happy for his best friend, but he couldn’t. He understood about the difficulty people who had same interest like Jiyong in this country. However, wasn't this too early? Jiyong hasn’t finished his school yet. And all this training, would it go to waste just like that?

Youngbae stared at Jiyong's red face for minutes long. As if sensing the dark face Youngbae gave him, Jiyong looked back at his best friend.

“Will you accept?” Youngbae asked.

Jiyong knew he wasn’t ready, but the image of him spending the rest of his life with his boyfriend made him very eager to leave music and Youngbae behind. Despite of what everyone said about him being full of himself because of his talents, Jiyong cared about his close friends a lot, especially Youngbae. 

When he first met him, Youngbae told him that he came from poor family. He was dancing and singing for competition to gain extra cash for his family, that was until he met YG who offered him place as trainee in his company. His parents were supporting him, they said he should follow his dream instead of feeling responsible for his family condition. That's why Youngbae worked hard everyday and it motivated Jiyong a lot. 

“What about me, Jiyong? Aren't we becoming a group soon? Are you going to abandon me?”

“I'm not going to leave you, Bae. Don't worry. This is my dream too.”

Youngbae smiled. Jiyong smiled back. They were a team and Jiyong was a leader, he couldn’t possibly leave behind. So, he told Jung Hwa the next morning, but the unexpected happened.

“What did you mean you couldn’t leave Youngbae debuting alone? Who is he? Your boyfriend?” Jung Hwa's grip on his skinny arm was hurting him. But Jiyong endured it.

“No. I don't want him to debut alone. We've been working hard for so long, I couldn’t just let everything go like that. If you could let me debut first, I promise I’m going to marry you after my career is settled.”

“I told you I could feed you just fine. There's no need for your stupid music ambition or passion or whatever you call it.”

“I'm a man too. I should be able to get money by myself too. Besides, don't you think it's too early? We can be engaged to each other first. I can do it. However I don't think it's a good idea to have my own family when my debut time is coming closer.”

Jiyong couldn’t say more as he was slapped and beaten up by Jung Hwa the next minutes. Jiyong wasn’t a man who used his fist. He always thought it wasn’t wise and he was so against violence. Jiyong used his brain a lot. When someone beat him up like what his boyfriend did, he never punched them back. Not because he couldn’t, but because he refused to do so.

Life's about making the right choice, right? 

“So you're a man, huh? Let's see if you truly are.”

Despite everything, Jiyong never thought Jung Hwa was able to do

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter