Chapter 10

Nerd Mistakenly In Love

Yunhwan’s Point of View

 

 

(Graduation Day)

 

Our Senior year of school was starting to end already. The only thing left for us to do was graduate. And yes. When I said “us” I meant Jihoon and me. In just few months of being Jihoon’s fake girlfriend, I never knew that it would end this quickly... oh well, it’s not like I have a problem with it anyways. 

KNOCK! KNOCK! KNOCK!

There he is. I was waiting for him to come pound on my door every morning like always. 

(Goes to open the door)

“Yunhwan... Are you ready?” 

“You bet I am. Let’s go.” 

Am I really this happy? No. Not really just because there’s nobody who will be proud of me or scream for me. Nobody will be happy for me or cry tears of joy for me. Ouch! This feelings of loneliness hurts a lot more than being dump by a boyfriend. Not that I have experienced being dump though. 

As Jihoon and I walked to school, it was obvious that Jihoon was feeling down. I could tell right away by just looking at his eyes that something was worrying him. 

“What’s wrong? Something bothering you?”

“N-No... I’m fine. Really... it’s just... I’m going to miss my friends a lot.”Jihoon replies avoiding eye contact with me.

In just a few words of chatting, we were already at school. 

“AAAAAAAAHHHH! JIHOOOOOOOOON! PARK JIHOON’S HERE!!!!!!”

“Jihoon! Please accept my goodbye gift!”

“Jihoon, here’s my number!”

“Jihoon, I like you very much and-“

JIHOON! JIHOON! JIHOON! JIHOON!

Aish! So annoying! Jihoon’s name is being called everywhere. this ... I ain’t got time to wait until he’s done listening to those girls. Plus, shouldn’t they know that Jihoon has a girlfriend and most importantly, his girlfriend IS ME AND I’M LITERALLY RIGHT NEXT TO HIM! 

Wait... what am I saying? I shouldn’t have a problem with girls wanting him. Besides, I’m not even his real girlfriend. I’m sure we all know that after today graduation day, our fake relationship ends here because there will be no more reasons to go on. So why am I even complaining about his popularity? I don’t even like him that much too anyways... or do I?

“Um... I’m just gonna go~”, I hummed sneaking my way out of the crowds. 

(Skipped forward in time)

When Jihoon was called up to the stage to honor his hard work that he had done in school, all the girls including some of the guys screamed throwing flowers to the stage. Some even tried to go up to the stage to hug him.

When it was mine turn, everything was dead quiet. The only that could be hear was the soft wing blowing. How sad... 

(After graduation/School)

“Well... I guess this is goodbye.”, I continued. “Our relationship ends here.”, I stated sticking out my palm to shake Jihoon’s hand.

I don’t know why I’m tearing up but I certainly do not regret what I have done with Jihoon. 

“Well? Don’t leave my hand hanging.”

(Silent Jihoon)

“Before we go in our own ways, I just wanna say do not come to my apartment like how you have always been doing. If we meet again in the future, I will find a way to pay you back all of the help that you have offered to me. Oh! And one more thing. Here.”, I mumbled talking as clearly as I could despite all the tears dripping down my face. “Remember this Bear. You said that when it’s time to say goodbye to each other, that’s when I can finically return this bear to you. I’m sorry that it’s sort of wrinkling due to being squeezed in my small backpack for the whole morning.”

Of course, Jihoon had nothing to say back. He just stood there looking at the giant teddy bear without blinking. For some reason, he wouldn’t take the bear back. It’s not just that he wouldn’t, I could tell that he refused too. 

“Jihoon? Are you okay? Were you even listening to me?”

“Oh I’m sorry. Yes I was listening to you. I have something to give to you too.”, Jihoon faked smiled taking out his hand from behind his back revealing beautiful red roses and pure white daisies with light lime green stems. 

“It’s beautiful! Thank you.”, I faked a higher snatching away the flowers from his hand. 

Since he still wouldn’t agree to take the teddy bear back, I decided to just force it on to him.

“Here’s your teddy bear. Oh and btw, I named him Mushroom.”, I said wrapping Jihoon’s arm around the bear. 

“I have to go now. It’s getting dark. B-Bye...”

As I turned around to the opposite side of Jihoon, I started to feel unsatisfactory. What is something left behind that’s bothering my heart. Could it be Jihoon? No, it’s probably just the same thing that I was feeling this morning. Nothing much-

(Grabs Yunhwan’s hand and turned her around) 

Before I knew it, my first kiss was already  taken. Jihoon has pressed his lips so hard on mine that I accidentally bit my tongue. As the kiss go on, it got more and more intenser. 

After 20 seconds of each other’s lips, Jihoon finally let go and said 3 very clear words. The 3 same words that I also had in mind before/earlier.

“I like you.”, Jihoon aggressively shouted. “I hate it how you say goodbye so easily. I hate it how you forced that teddy bear onto me. I hate it how you’re not as concerned as I was when I knew that our relationship was coming to and end. I hate it how you just walk away when girls surrounds me. I want you to care! I want you to notice! I want you to love me because that’s what I plan to do to you right now. I love you, Bae Yunhwan.”

Right as soon as Jihoon finished his last words, he forced his lips on mine leading the kiss into his own ways. 

“Bae Yunhwan... don’t you love me? Like me? What do you think about me? A normal person? An annoying boy? A stupid naive boy? My feelings for you are sincere. There are nights when I can’t even sleep because of overdosing my heart with pictures of you everywhere in mind. Bae Yunhwan I-“

“Shhhh... I get it.”, I whispered putting my index fingers on his lips. “I understand you. You don’t have to explain yourself anymore. I understand you perfectly.”