What Could've Been

Paper Toads and a Hundred Roses | JOOSUNG
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Is that what you really think of me?" I say in a hushed breath as he was about to walk away from me. I've been torn into too many pieces on too many occasions by too many people. But this person right here, his back turned to me, refusing to look at me as if he's withdrawing the last bit of acceptance he could possibly use—I never thought that he would be one of those people. I never thought that he could say and do these things easily when he promised that he will never be the one to do it to me. I know that pain is inevitable in this life and I thought that maybe I could control the pain by choosing the people who could cause it. But I guess I couldn't do that either because I'm deprived of many things—including the definition of how it is to really love. "Who gave you the right to start calling me a just because I made mistakes in the past?" I shout, my hands clenching into fists as I ignore the make-up that's probably already smeared on my face because of the tears.

There was silence before I could visibly see his composure crack. "See?" he says, turning to look at me, hands planted on his hips and his nose flaring with contained fury. "That mentality alone gives you away, Sung Kyung," and I could see that he's trying his best to keep his voice calm despite its shaking. "You consider the child a mistake!"

"I thought I was saving her, Joo Hyuk!" I sob, my heart wrenching at the very mention of it. I tried so hard to fight for everything that I thought was right but at this moment, it's all burning in the pain of how I failed to do so. "I thought—I thought I—" my blurry vision shifts from one place to another, trying to form a logical explanation out of all of this but ending up with nothing in my hands and a burning feeling in my chest. I'm at a loss for words as the tears keep streaming down my face. "There were so many things going on inside my head."

"You know I would've accepted her, Sung Kyung," he looks at me, his eyes glossed over and his voice oozing with hurt and it made me realize the gravity of what I have done even more. "You know I would've treated her the same even if she wasn't mine."

I sob again at how a single man could show the compassion of millions. How could he be saying these things right now? How could he look past my mistakes? But I refused to believe what he said because he's hurting me right now. He promised me he won't but he's doing the exact opposite. "You're lying," I tell him as the soft expression on his face completely vanishes, leaving a blank look staring back at me. "You would react the same way as you did today," I sniff, reaching up to wipe the tears from my face. "You know you would."

"Is that what you really think of me?" he throws the question back at me and I didn't know how to answer it because I'm being such an enormous hypocrite. We're demanding so much from each other that it's starting to ruin us. It's starting to build a wall between us and here we are again, forgetting to communicate—forgetting that we love each other enough to actually want to work through this. We're on the edge of giving up again.

"Joo Hyuk," I step closer, reaching my had out to him but he steps back as I am suddenly filled with so much rejection.

"We need time," he says, looking at the floor as I vigorously shake my head, refusing to have to go through this again. So many emotions are rushing inside me. So many things are breaking and mending all at once.

I take another step as I reach up again to touch both sides of his face. I release a breath as he doesn't recoil from my hands. "No," I whisper, pulling his head down to rest my forehead against his. "No," I whisper again as my eyes close and I could feel his closing too. I always knew that we'll end up like this in more ways than one. But couldn't he forgive how stupid I have been? Couldn't he be the one to cure me of my mistakes, not remind me of how much I hurt others through them? Couldn't he be the light that'll help me realize that? "Don't do this to us," I plead, pouring my heart into every word that's coming out of my lips. "No."

"We need time," he says again, grabbing my wrists and pulling my hands from his face all the while effectively bringin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter