The Height of Love

Paper Toads and a Hundred Roses | JOOSUNG
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

     "I told you to stop straining yourself," I look up from trying to adjust Joon Seo who's sleeping next to me on the hospital bed, to find Joo Hyuk standing by the doorway and somehow, it brought a big fat smile on my face. I've been staying in the hospital way past my due because Joo Hyuk refused to have me home where he couldn't see my vital signs and medicine intake. But what I really think is that he'll end up calling every hour because he misses me if that were to happen. He's just saving himself the embarrassment. He walks closer in all his medical sophistication and my mind momentarily halts at how I have a man like this whipped for me in all my ed up glory. My heart's filled with nothing but joy at how I finally have him—finally holding his hand as we fight through everything blocking our way. He reaches for Joon Seo and carries him to lie down on the couch. He covers him with a blanket and places a throw pillow under his head.

    I've been staying in the hospital bed since I woke up seven days ago. Joo Hyuk didn't want me to go home until he actually sees me standing up on my own. The bruises on my face are fading, so are the ones on my legs. My arm was fractured so I still have my cast on and I'm still taking medication for my mild concussion. They removed the bandages from my head yesterday and I feel so relieved right after. "Stop overreacting," I tell him as I try to reach for the bed's controls but he beats me to it. He pushes the button as the part of the bed supporting my back rises enough for me to sit up and look at him.

    "I'm not overreacting," he's speaking, but he's not looking at me as he walks around my bed, fixing my IV tube and checking my heart monitor all the while writing notes on his clipboard. "I shouldn't be called a doctor if I'll just let you get worse," he finally looks at me for a moment, the joy in his eyes couldn't be mistaken for anything else. I could see the gratefulness, the relief and the genuine bliss across the brown color of his pupils. It feels like I'm being trapped in a frozen particle of time when he looks at me like that. But he finally moves to bend down and kiss my forehead, staying there, letting me feel that he'll treat every moment as if it will be the last. I let myself wallow in the promise of it. I close my eyes at the contact and smile at how much I like it. Nothing was bothering me anymore. I'm finally so sure of myself—so sure of him.

    As he detaches his lips from my forehead, I suddenly grab a hold of his face so that I could tilt it towards me, kissing his forehead in return. He chuckles as I feel the vibration of it against my lips. "You're acting fairly touchy today, miss," he says as soon as I let go of him. He sits on the chair beside my bed, removing his hand from his lab coat pocket to hold mine. The feeling of warmth from it spreads through my body in a matter of seconds. It had me scooting closer to him, wanting to just feel him like how I've been wanting to be next to him for the days that we haven't been with each other.

    "I just got you," I tell him, looking straight in his eyes. "So your job now is to let me have you," I smile and lean over to plant a sweet, chaste kiss on his lips.

    "Well," he says, slowly opening his eyes as I pull away from the contact. "I couldn't say no to that. But let me remind you," he lifts my hand up to his lips so he could kiss it, his eyes never leaving mine. "You had me from the very start." He looks at me with so much sincerity that I couldn't help but let another smile widely grace my lips. This man has been and always will be the very dream that I'll gladly accept every night for as long as I'm living. He's the stars—watching during the day, shining throughout the night. He's the paper toads and the hundred roses; the camera flashes and blank pieces of polaroid film; the love and hate mixing in tongues of fire over piles of ice. He is everything that makes up my entire being. I trust him enough to hand myself over to him because despite the fact that he built me, I have instilled it within myself that he will never find it in himself to tear me down.

    And I love him for it.

    "I'm glad then," I whisper just inches away from his face as I run a hand through his hair. I notice his tired eyes and his furrowed eyebrows. I wanted to ease his exhaustion by making his visits worth while for the past few days. "You've been working hard, doctor."

He nods before adjusting himself on the seat. "I finally have my license," he sighs before placing his elbow on the mattress as he leans his head on his hand, looking like the most worried person in the world. "I have more work than before. More patients are coming in to see me and I s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter