Stop

Paper Toads and a Hundred Roses | JOOSUNG
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

           "So you're back together, then?" Ji Soo asks beside me as we stand on the balcony, admiring the view before us. Euphoria could be described in so many ways yet the simplest things are what's worth all the time and attention. If you asked me the same question a few weeks back, I would've answered differently with a great amount of hesitant thinking. But light seems to be shining down on the aspects of my life that I forced myself to ignore.

    "Yes," I reply, not even fighting the smile that graces my lips. It's hard to do so when you feel nothing but utter happiness.

    Ji Soo nods and smiles, obviously pleased by the news he just heard. I've always thought that throughout the year that my friends have seen me hurting, they still thought that getting back together with Joo Hyuk is the best thing for me rather than finding someone else. It was hard to admit, but eventually, I realized the same thing. It's hard to love someone else when you've already dedicated every drop of that love to only one person. "Are you happy?"

    "Of course she is," a voice says from behind us as we both turn to see Joo Hyuk leaning on the balcony door of my house as if he's the one who owns it. He looks so casual, so normal. It's like he's meant to be living here all along and I was too blinded by my anxiety to see it—to feel everything that I avoided feeling as a way of protecting myself. Forgetting my past mistakes, I smile back at my fiancé as I approach him for a kiss. "How has your day been, my darling?" he whispers as soon as we pull away. I wrap my arms around his waist, staring up at him as if I've been doing it my whole life.

    "It was fine," I reply, not caring about how Ji Soo's standing behind us and witnessing the entire thing. When you're trapped in your own world with someone, it's inevitable to forget. I've accepted the fact that people could bring you intense pain yet they could also heal it with so much amount of happiness. "How was work?" I ask, still staring at him, relishing the feel of his arms around me and loving the way he's also looking at me with the same amount of love that's probably visible in my eyes.

    "It was okay," he answers. It's his first day in the new hospital today since he finished his medical residency a few days ago. I'm so utterly proud of him for landing such a major hospital especially since he's just about to graduate two days from now. The height of success that he has achieved so far is way beyond what I had expected. I never wanted him to do such grand things because I was contented with having him for who he was. But the fact that he strived to change and be the person he truly dreamed to be became one of the many reasons that I love him so much. "One colleague's already criticizing me, but I pay no mind," he smiles. "He's not the person I'm doing this for anyway," he looks at me with so much meaning as I lean up to kiss him again. He smiles as we pull away and my heart was ready to burst on cue with it.

    "You guys are gross," Ji Soo scoffs as we both laugh at him. I turn to see him covering his eyes but still peaking through the gaps of his fingers. He looks like a child that's watching his very first horror movie. "I shouldn't have pushed for this," he says jokingly and starts walking towards the door to leave us alone.

    Joo Hyuk watches him leave and climb down the stairs before he turns back towards me to resume our previous position. He embraces me and buries his head against the crook of my neck, his breath tickling me as I resist the urge to squirm in his arms. I place my arms around his shoulders, pulling him closer to me as if this wasn't enough. I don't think there will be enough hugs or kisses to fill in the year that we have been apart. But no negative thing will come between us ever again because I learned so much except to let him go.

    "Date night?"

    I suddenly pull away to look at him, a little smile on my lips. The way he said it made me swoon and cringe both at the same time. Date night has never been a constant thing with us. We started out as actors who barely have time to have things like these. "Don't you have to go to the hospital?"

    He shrugs and pulls me close again. "I have a few hours to spare unless there's an emergency." He squeezes me, a silent p

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter