Opposing the Opposition

Paper Toads and a Hundred Roses | JOOSUNG
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

     It's frustrating. Utterly, irrevocably frustrating.

     It's frustrating how the words you say could be totally different from how you choose to act or how you try to control how you feel. Most of the time, we ask the world to revolve around the things that we prefer when it's desperately trying to tell us to be contented with what we have. Nevertheless, we just become a bunch of whiny, unbearable and immature human beings who just ask for more when there is none to give. I admit that I was once like that. But at the moment, I'm thankful that I graciously got over it. The bumps along the road of life has taught me a great deal in terms of entertaining people's whims. It has given me the opportunity to explore complex personalities during unexpected encounters or planned occasions. However, what I can't fathom further is why I have to face a personality such as the one sitting directly in front of me.

     "Are you well, Sung Kyung?" Seohyun asks, inspecting the edges of her phone as if it's the most interesting thing she has ever seen in the entirety of her existence. The many times that she has tried to bring me down became somewhat of a practice to growing immune to all her foolish plans. Neither the innocent glint in her eyes nor the well-polished shoes she's wearing are enough to intimidate me like how she possibly planned beforehand. I will not bend this time because I have mastered the gears of her very mind. This , really.

     "I'm okay, Seohyun. Will you drop the formalities?" I retort, bearing in mind to keep my voice neutral despite the annoyance that I want to mix with my tone. I just got discharged a few hours prior to this surprising encounter. Joo Hyuk left me to wait for him in his office as he tends to a patient he just finished operating on. His office was adorned with white walls and a glass desk. Shelves were filled with medical books that I didn't bother reading the titles of as a set of couches rested in the middle of the room. It's quite big but it still looks like a minimalist designed it which is pretty predictable for a person with the likes of my fiancé. I was inspecting the photos on his wall—consisting of a stolen photo of me, a photo of a 9-moth-old Joon Seo and a copy of my four-month-long ultrasound. I was in a state of pure bliss until Seohyun's face showed up through the glass door. she walked in as if she already did it a thousand times and maybe a hundred more. But her emerald dress as opposed to my flannel, jeans and cast on my left arm didn't lessen the confidence that I have instilled within myself. I will no longer doubt Joo Hyuk's affections for me due to the fact that I'm so very sure of him now. And while this woman's trying so hard to resemble a model, I'm a natural-born one myself.

     "I'm glad that you're alright," she mutters, still observing her phone and not bothering to look at me directly. Joo Hyuk has been gone for almost an hour and I've been waiting with her for exactly 42 minutes. This is what happens when you find yourself bored and with the person you like the least out of everything you hate. "How's your arm?" she asks, finally looking up and crossing her legs, all the while leaning back on the cushioned arm chair. I know more than to fall for her fake concern. It has cost me one too many important things in my life.

     "It's gotten better," I don't bother smiling because she doesn't deserve it after what she tried to do. She's a scandalous being walking in demure clothing. Everyone who chooses to surround her would need to know better than to fall for her charms. This cunning wench is not a sight to behold when she's provoked. However, as soon as the thought hit me, I let the words tumble out of my mouth unfiltered. "Tell me one thing, though," I start, the confident gleam in her eyes not ceasing to exist. She's had too many people feed her ego. But I'm not here to do so. I will probably live to torment her to the best of my abilities. "Why would you want to so desperately marry Joo Hyuk?" I finish, as a momentary spark of alarm crossed her expression.

     She was silent, her lips sealed and her arms folded across her chest. I knew then that the wheels in her head are spinning, thinking of a better retort for something that she wanted to divert people's attention from. I've always known that she has been living her life that way. But as the fury grows in the depths of her brown eyes, I also knew.

     I've provoked her.

     "You think you're untouchable now that you're wearing that goddamn ring," she hisses, all the venom laced in every word, dripping down to the floor. I hide my smirk at the sight of her so irke

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter