A Better Day

The Sassy Warrior

Hyomin’s pov


“Eyy they don’t even have casual clothes” I talk to myself, rummaging the whole wardrobe where they put all my clothes.


I ended up picking the most comfortable one and prepare myself for a morning jog. I haven’t tried jogging the whole time I was here. I was too down before. Now I decide to start enjoying my time here.


I peek at Jiyeon on my way out. She was combing her hair.


“Hey, let it down” Jiyeon stop all her movement as I said that and gave me a confused look.


I walk to her and sat close to have a closer look of her face.


“Let me help you” I said, letting down her hair and comb it neatly for her.


I gaped in awe as I look at her new look. For seconds there, I wonder did my eyes deceived me? I acknowledge her good look all this time but this is a total different things. She looks way different from usual with this casual hairstyle.


The sound of Jiyeon clearing stop me from my trance.


“I never saw you letting down your hair” I said.


“You are sleeping the whole time I did” She responded.


“Did I?” I raised my brows on her respond.


I think so. She must be letting it down before sleeping. I sleep earlier than her and wake up later than her, so far that we lived together.


“I am going for a morning exercise. Wanna join?” I look at Jiyeon with pleading eyes. “Please”


Jiyeon look down, hesitating. I try to recall on my mind if I ever saw historical drama with a couples going for a morning jog. Never saw one but jogging is still not a weird things to do though.


“Please” I try again. Jiyeon lift up her head, considering.


We both ended up doing the jog at where peoples are least spotted. For our safety, we did it inside the place area. I hide my laugh looking at how awkward Jiyeon appears to be. She was reluctant to join earlier and said she just come along to watch at the side, but I force her to join me and she finally did.


“This is refreshing. Don’t you think so?” I jog backward while facing Jiyeon. She looks away, avoiding eyes contact.


“Relax” I shake my head, chuckled at Jiyeon’s awkward face.


“Hey, I was thinking about asking you this for a while” I look at Jiyeon. We now start to just walk. 


“How did you know?” I asked.


Jiyeon look at me for seconds, then look away, not answering my question.


“Heol, you never said more than 10 words per day” I show her a sad look.


We walk for some more after that and spotted Jihyun and her ladies walk passed us. I waved my hand at her and grab Jiyeon’s hand to run close to her.


“Noona, join us for our morning exercise” I said, showing my pleading eyes. “Brings them along” I said, pointing to the group of servants who was walking along with her.


“I would love to” Jihyun said, giving excited look.


“Jiyeon, can you ask your gayageum teacher to join us?” I remember witnessing Jiyeon learning to play it with a lady the other day. “I need her to play some music for us”


The lady who is known as Jueun, who is actually Jiyeon’s personal servant, later obediently joining us, bringing along a gayageum. I told her to play a fast beat, giving her a verbal examples of the sound. Satisfied with how it sound like, I start to face the group of peoples in front of me.


“Let’s have some fun!” I shout. “Follow my steps”


I show them simple Zumba dance move that I remember. I tried to match it with the sound of the gayageum. At first, only Jihyun following my steps.


“This is an order” I glare to the hesitate group of servants who just hung low their head, afraid to join the dance. They start to move along, didn’t dare to disobey my order.


I then gave pleading eyes to Jiyeon who just staring at us, muttering under my breath, “Please”


Jiyeon just smile, enjoying the scene of peoples who is now following my step. I move close to her and help her moving around. For the first time, I heard her let out a chuckle and that is when I lose my mind and getting absorbed into enjoying the dance.


Someone grabbing the back of my cloth stopping me from my leading of traditional Zumba dance. Everyone stop their movement of the sight. I turn around and saw Eunjung grabbing me on the back of my cloth.


“Are you drunk?” He ask.


“No!” I feel so out of breath as I answer him. I then turn around and look at the whole ladies return to their gracious self on the sight of Eunjung, trying to hide their abnormal breathing.


“Dismiss” I said, hiding my laugh. I send a smiling gratitude to Jihyun, thanking her for joining me. Then, I send a wink to Jiyeon and mouthing ‘you did great’ to her, before she walk away with Jueun leaving me alone with Jung hyung.


“What are you doing with the ladies?” Jung hyung gave me an unbelievable look.


“I was exercising with them” I gave him frustrated look.


“You are out of your mind” Jung hyung stick with his disapprove look of what I just did.


“What is so wrong with that?!” I push him and walk away in anger. He is ruining my perfect morning.


“You act like a girl!” He shout to me.


‘I am a girl!’ I shout back in my heart.


“Don’t forget our practice later!” He shout again.


I rolled my eyes. “Whatever”


...


“Hangyul, bring me to a drinking place” I said that evening after my practice with Jung hyung. He is giving me hard time, I nearly get depressed.


“It’s still not safe for you to roam outside, young master. I heard there are still suspicious movement on the frontier” He said.


“You act like a sissy. I am going to bring Jueun instead”


“Please be more careful, young master. I don’t want you to get hurt. Please don’t”


“I just need a brief drinking” I responded, thinking hard on how to get myself out of this place.


“Wait” I smile on the idea. “I am not going” I told Hangyul and leave him to go to my room.


...


“You are not going to believe this” I said to Jiyeon who is helping me shaving my stubbles. I am still bad at doing it without leaving scars so I asked for Jiyeon’s help.


I let down my long hair as she done with it smoothly. I examined my face on the mirror. I feel like laughing looking at my own reflection. I did look like my old self with all hair down.


“Please did my hair like yours” I ask for Jiyeon’s help.


“Why are you doing this?” Jiyeon ask.


“I want to sneak out. Come with me. Let’s change our look”


I ended up sneaking out with Jiyeon. Me, dressed as a girl and Jiyeon as a guy. I ask her to help me carrying my sword as I didn’t dare to touch it. I still can’t control the sword but I need it, in case something bad happened.


We both settled down at the nearest drinking place, hiding our face. We both sat at the most corner seat and have our drink far from others sight.


Jiyeon face start to redden on her first sip. It seemed like her first time doing it. I start to tilt my head watching her. She did the same across me as she took another sip.


“You are so beautiful” She said with her drunken tone. I took her drink away from her, preventing her to drink some more.


“You should saw the real me” I said, sipping on her drink as I am done with mine.


Jiyeon smile foolishly looking at me. She is indeed drunk the way I see it. She didn’t drink that much though. What a cutie.


We sat longer there until Jiyeon show sign to throw up. I help her exited the place, leaving random money on the table. I don’t know how to use the money, so whatever with the amount.


She throw up as soon as we leave the place. I help her to held her hair back as she throw up.


“You shouldn’t drink anymore” I said as she done with it.


Jiyeon just chuckled looking at me. “I am fine” She said.


“Minus your painful throw up, I like everything else that you did when you are drunk” I smile to her, grabbing her arm and start to walk back home with her.

 

"I am not drunk" Jiyeon responded.


I think today is the best day so far. It was ruined by Jung hyung but so far it was good.


On our way back, I can heard a faint sound of suspicious footsteps following us. The sound are getting closer over time. I try to not acting like noticing the sound and quickly grabbing on my sword on Jiyeon’s back.


On one touch, I am not myself anymore as the footsteps can be heard clearly behind us.