Out Of Nowhere

The Sassy Warrior

5 Years Later

 

Present Day

 

Hyomin’s pov

 

“Hello Hyomin. I can’t reach you. Call me back when you get this”

 

I put away my phone after listening to my friend’s voice message. Today after so many hectic day of working, I freed up my schedule, just for today and probably the whole week.

 

I don’t know why but out of sudden, a vivid memory of incident from five years ago came back to my mind.

 

“Blink your eyes if you can hear me”

 

Those words said be the doctor was the first thing that I heard when I woke up and gladly the first person that I saw was my mom.

 

I remember even though I was so weak at that moment but I could see how grateful my mom is that I made it alive.

 

I thought the accident was enough tragedy for me. It almost took my life and recovering from it took a hell lot of time but then two years later, I faced an even greater tragedy in my life.

 

I lost my mom.

 

Her cancer that I thought was gone after she undergo surgery when I was in high school actually came back and this time, she got it worst.

 

Today on the third anniversary of my mom death. I am standing in front of her grave, fighting my tears not to fall down.

 

I always thought probably it’s better if I never woke up from my coma back then but deep down I know if I never did, that last two beautiful years with my mom would never been possible.

 

I smile painfully on the thought of happy memories that I made with my mom on her last breath. She told me she has no regret and that she is so proud of having me as her daughter.

 

I breathe in extra air to stop my tears from welling up in my eyes. I promised myself to be strong for today. I promised her to lived a good life even without her in it.

 

I crouched down and put her favourite flowers on her grave, wiping the tears that threaten to fall on the tip of my eyes. I smiled and bid her goodbye for the countless time.

 

I miss you mom.

 

...

 

Later that day.

 

“Unnie, can I come over to your filming site?” I said as I return Soyeon’s call.

 

My friend, Soyeon will start her new drama filming today. Usually she came with me to visit my mom but today she can’t make it, so I guess she is worried about me judging from bunch of missed calls she left.

 

I decided to stay over with her so I won’t dwelled myself in sadness. For some reason like past years, I regret not taking any job when this day came. Worst than that, I am actually free for this whole week.

 

“Hyominie! Sorry I can’t go with you to visit your mom. We started filming for our new drama today” Her high pitch voice greeted me almost instantly from the other side. “Our filming are a bit far though but I will send you the location”

 

“It’s okay unnie. I will be there in a bit” I glance at the clock and look at the location she send me. It’s indeed a bit far but I guess it might be refreshing to have some long drive in this gloomy day.

 

...

 

I look around to search for Soyeon as I arrived at the location she sent me but she was nowhere in my sight. All the staff are busy moving around to prepare the set.

 

I took a picture of where I am and send it to her to let her know that I already arrived.

 

Judging from the look of the filming site, it look like they will be shooting an historical drama. I saw some casts walk around in traditional clothes, practicing their scripts. Some are even practicing action scene.

 

My eyes stop at the group of peoples which probably the stunt team judging from their act and out of instinct, I walk closer to have a look. They mostly were practicing with swords.

 

I crossed my arm and watch them silently from the side. My eyes follow their movements and actually trying to read their steps.

 

Now. I whisper.

 

When the stunt girl make a move that I thought would be the best for her, I smile proudly at the sight. I knew it. I thought.

 

Wait.

 

How did I know that?

 

I suddenly feel a bit sick on my stomach as I realized how weird it is that I know their moves and what is the best move for the next.

 

I am not even a fan of action film. I rarely watch films in my whole life and even if I do, I don’t really watch a film with action genre.

 

I feel it’s weird that I know a lot about those sword fighting scenes when I almost never watch any of those scene before.

 

As I look around for something to keep my feet on the ground so I could feel less uneasy, my eyes falls on the swords that wasn’t being used not too far from where I am standing.

 

Let’s have a closer look. I could hear my inner voice are telling me that.

 

No. Why should we? I argue.

 

Just do it.

 

I actually move closer to the swords.

 

Touch it.

 

I stretch my arm to touch the sword.

 

“Excuse me Miss!”

 

A sudden voice from behind me stop me from touching the sword. I take a step back. “That scares me” I said almost whispering.

 

I look at the owner of the voice. She is one small and short woman who I believed should be already a grown up but she has a baby face. I can’t really tell if she is younger or older than me.

 

“Do you need help?” She ask, eyes scanning me from head to toe, sending a signal of suspicious look.

 

I feel at lost of word to answer her. I was kinda shocked with her sudden high pitched voice earlier and my own weird action.

 

“Hyomin!” Soyeon show up at the perfect time, saving me from the lion cub looking woman. She some kind of remind me of Simba. I almost let out a laugh at my own thought, feeling a bit at ease now that someone that I am familiar with are here with me.

 

“Boram unnie, she is with me” Soyeon said, looking at both of us trying to read the situation. She looks like she didn't get what just happened though.

 

Soyeon then look at me and gave me a look asking ‘Are you alright?’ I gave her a signal that I am good and there’s nothing she should worry about.

 

Soyeon gaze a bit longer into my eyes to make sure and once she is satisfied enough with her finding, she clears looking at both of us.

 

“By the way, Hyomin, this is Boram. The head of stunt team and shortest person I ever met” Boram quickly smack Soyeon on her arm, obviously hating on what Soyeon said there.

 

I chuckled at the sight. Soyeon seems unbothered with Boram glaring at her and continue “And unnie, this is my friend Hyomin, the busiest freelance graphic designer ever”

 

I gave her an unsatisfied look but I didn’t say a word. I am definitely not the busiest. If I did, I won’t be here today.

 

After Soyeon introduce both of us, we shake hand and slightly bow to each other with a smile plastered on our face.

 

“I see your friend are interested with the prop” Boram said that while looking at Soyeon and then divert her gaze to me.

 

“You were like staring at it like a possessed person earlier. I was worried” She scratched her nose, knitting her eyebrows together, showing concern on her face.

 

I was a bit surprised with what she said there. I don’t feel that way though. I was just curious earlier and driven by inner self to feel the sword.

 

“Really?” Soyeon look at me, looking a bit worried.

 

“Ah sorry. I actually just curious” I gave Soyeon an assurance look. “Sorry if I was acting strange earlier” I then look at Boram and sincerely apologized. I didn’t mean to surprised peoples by acting weird.

 

“Ah no. That’s not what I mean” Boram quickly responded, smiling. “You can stay and watch if you are interested” She beams with smile while saying that.

 

“You wanna stay here?” Soyeon ask me.

 

“Eum unnie. I will stay for a bit” I said to her.

 

“Then I will leave her with you unnie” Soyeon winked to Boram. Right after she said that, her walkie-talkie buzzed in her hand. Someone are asking for her present. “Coming” She quickly respond to it.

 

“See you around kiddo” She ruffles my hair before she disappears to her production team. I fixed my hair instantly, shaking my head to her action. I smiled anyway.

 

“You guys must be close” Boram said, getting one sword and examine it before she swing it around.

 

“Yeah. We know each other since college” My eyes fixed at her movement. She seems like she is familiar with holding the sword but something feels off judging from the way she swung it. I can’t tell what is it though.

 

Boram then stop moving and gaze into my eyes. “Wanna try holding it?” She hand me the sword but I didn’t take it. “You seems..” She paused for a while. “..interested?”

 

“Huh?” Did I? I am not sure about that.

 

“This is not a real sword. You can try holding it if you want” She gave me a convincing look.

 

I turn to look at the stunt team that were practicing, I feel hesitate for a moment. I feel tempted to try but I guess I don’t know how?

 

Boram still watching me, as if she is trying to read my action.

 

While being off guard, Boram then suddenly throw the sword to me and out of instinct, I catch it..

 

..perfectly?!

 

“Aha!” Boram clapped at the sight, proud of her judgement.

 

What the..

 

What if I can’t catch it? I thought, feeling a bit nervous from what just happened.

 

I could tell the sword isn’t real from the feel of it. It feel a bit lighter than I thought but still feel as good as the real one.

 

Wait. How did I know how a real sword feels like? I never held one before though. I breathe in extra air, trying to absorb the whole situation.

 

“I knew it” Boram said. “You are good at this, aren’t you?”

 

How did she know something that I didn’t?

 

“This is my first time” Somehow I feel a bit pissed off from the situation. It’s a confusing situation for me and Boram make it worse.

 

“Are you sure?” Boram gave me a challenging look. “Your vibe tell differently” She added.

 

Oh so you can read vibes? My heart responded but I didn’t say it.

 

She then get another sword and point it to me. “Come on. Try it for fun”

 

Try what? No. No way! I came here for some peace of mind, not getting myself into something that could injure me like this.

 

Sensing my disapproval, Boram let out a chuckle, trying to explain her act. “You know what” She said. “I picked those team by myself” She pointed to the stunt team. My eyes divert to them for seconds before returning it to Boram.

 

“I could tell who are good at this. Trust me” She gave me a look, trying to convince me again.

 

“But this is really my first ti-”

 

I hold up the sword on my hand and few second later, I realized that was my reflex of protecting myself from Boram’s sword. It surprisingly give me a thrills, enough to blown my mind.

 

I could feel a cold sweat breaking on my back.

 

What just happened?

 

Boram gave me an acknowledging look. “See. You are good at this. I am beyond impressed” She said, looking very impressed like she said.

 

I am not even finish talking earlier. Wasn’t it a bit dangerous what Boram did there? I know this is not the real sword we are using here, but still. Someone could get injured. Someone like me.

 

I was still shocked when someone approached Boram and they have some talk before Boram turn to me and said that she have some work to take care of, so she can’t stay with me.

 

“I am sorry for earlier but I was right, right?” She then suddenly smack my which startled me even more, then leave with the person that talk to her earlier.

 

I put down the sword and quickly find a spot to sit. I somehow feel a bit weak on my knee after all that happened earlier.

 

I couldn’t understand a single thing that happened. How could I be so good at things that I never tried before? I heave a long sigh, feeling clueless.

 

While being busy collecting myself together, I suddenly feel like I am being watched by someone. I look up and noticed someone from the stunt team staring at me. I look at her and right when our eyes met, one word come to my mind.

 

Deja vu.

 

She seems familiar in some way but I am sure I never met her. Looking at her gave me a feeling of I am on the verge of remembering something important but no matter how hard I try, I couldn’t.

 

I rose up from my sit when I saw her walking closer. I look around, in case there are anyone else around me but it’s only me at the moment.

 

“Jiyeon”

 

She put halt on her movement when she heard someone calling for her and turn to look at the owner of the voice.

 

Jiyeon. Familiar name. I thought.

 

“Yes?” She said. Even her voice sound familiar. Everything about her are familiar but how could that be for a stranger like her?

 

I weirdly feel a sudden tug at my heart, feeling in between of remembering I heard that name and voice somewhere before and the fact that I doubt if I really ever did.

 

“Help me with this” That person said to her. I still watch her from where I am standing.

 

“Sure” She quickly change her direction to that person and I swear I saw she steal a few glance at me while doing so.

 

I watch her walking away until she disappear from my sight.

 

Out of sudden, she leave me wondering who she is.

 

Weird enough, everything about today seems so off yet so familiar in some way. I stare and the sword that I hold just now and then to the spot Jiyeon was standing earlier, unsure if this whole thing is actually real.

 

I have no idea at all.