The Chosen Warrior

The Sassy Warrior

Hyomin’s pov


Checking on my chest is the first thing I did every time I woke up these days. In case. Just in case.


But I know waking up with this overwhelming growling stomach, it’s confirmed that I am still not on my own body. 


I am still a guy.


Gosh.


I kick the air in frustration, still shutting tight my eyes.


“Everything !” I yelled and force myself to open my eyes, ready to leave the bed to go to next room where I always had my breakfast.


I put all my movement on halt realizing that I wasn’t alone in the room. A familiar sight from last night come to my mind as I saw a young lady, looking at me with confusion written all over her face.


I think I gave her back equally confused look.


I didn’t recognize her face. Who is that?


Last night, it was...


...ahh...my wife?


That must be Jiyeon. Long eyes, sharp nose, small lips and small face.


I laugh upon my realization, earning extra confused look from her.


“Are you Jiyeon?” I ask, trying to hide my laugh. She is indeed ugly. I am going to strangle Hangyul to dead if I saw him later for showing me his ridiculous drawing before.


No answer for me.


“Did you sit like that from last night?” I scratch the back of my head, observing her sitting style, which oddly looks very similar to last night. I don’t remember what she wears though last night.


I can see her breath in extra air, looking tensed so suddenly. Alright. I guess I shouldn’t have ask that.


...


“I think she feels uncomfortable around me. Can she at least know who she live with?” I whisper to the old lady who turn out to be a shaman of this place as she pay me her usual visit on my every meal to brings me medicine.


“Please have your medicine, young master” The shaman just smile to me, handing me the medicine. “It will make you feel better”


Ugh. I think I will never get used with the bitterness of the medicine. When is the end of me taking this medicine?


“Halmeoni, the thing is she is going to live with me, I think she should know” I frown at the shaman to beg her to reveal my identity. “Adding another person on the list won’t hurt”


“She know” The shaman leave as I done with my super bitter medicine, bowing to both of us before she disappear to the outside.


“You know??” I widen my eyes at Jiyeon. She show me a smile for the first time which kind of giving extra surprised to me. It was a smile full of hesitation though but it’s okay. As long as she want to smile to me.


“I am your unnie. Unnie, not oppa” I feels like a burden is now lifted from my elbow. I feel better now that I found someone else who know and most importantly, someone that I can talk to.


“Please be comfortable around me” I added, shooting my most friendly smile to her.


...


My practice start today and for the first time I met Eunjung hyung, a guy who is the real Hyomin's best mate. I was told that I literally lived my whole life with him around. Learning to walk, talk, holding sword, fight, everything with him.


Jung hyung is the person in charge to restore my fighting skills back and I think it will be really hard for him like really really hard. Me fighting? With sword? NO.


Jung hyung brings me leaving the place from the small back door, where there are dark and light brown horses wait for us outside.


“Where are we going?” I asked, feeling unsettled inside.


“Practice at our usual place” Jung hyung shoot his warm smile and patted the dark brown horse. “Don’t you miss him?” He ask, looking at me.


“Who?” I ask back.


Jung hyung just shake his head and hop on to the light brown horse.


“What are you waiting for?” Jung Hyung signalled me to ride the dark one.


“I don’t know how to ride a horse” I start to worry. I don’t think I can do this.


I was thinking about running away but Jung Hyung pull my collar up so fast that I didn’t see it. I ended up landing on the back of the dark horse.


I shrieked in shock when the horse I am on start to move as Jung hyung hit the back of the horse. I frantically search for anything to grab to not falling down. The horse move crazily fast, my mind can’t really work on the situation.


It took a lot of time for me to finally settled down on the back of the horse, to finally stabilize my position on the saddle. I grab the bridle and sit up instead of crouching down. I think I at least should see properly my way of dying. In case I fall down and die.


Jung hyung finally stop his horse as we both arrived at a huge spacious area far inside the wood. My horse run passed him that I need to pull the bridle, treating it as a brake. Well, I saw a lot of that on TV before. It’s really worked though.


The horse put up it’s two front leg, stop moving smoothly as if listening well to me. I heave a long relieved sigh as the rough journey finally come to end.


I fall to the ground weakly, feeling wobbly all over my legs. I throw up some of my breakfast earlier. 


“Come on” Jung hyung grab the back of my collar to make me stand on my feet. I feel my head spinning on his sudden act.


He then throw a sword at me, which I failed to catch, resulting on it hitting on my chest before landed on the ground.


Luckily, that doesn’t hurt. If it is, I am going to slap him on his face for treating me so harshly like that. I am just a beginner!


I feels like crying.


By the way, I kind of realized that I doesn’t really feels pain the whole time I am on this body. Like earlier, falling from the horse. I didn’t feels anything and the sword earlier, hitting hard on me, I just feels a slight pain which gone way too quickly.


I feel weirdly strong and that kind of boosting my confident. This body is seriously well built, I barely can feel any pain but screw that. That is not even important for me.


“I’ve been keeping your sword” Jung hyung smile again. “Come on, pick it up. Don’t waste any more time”


I strangely obediently picking up the sword, pulling it out from the cover.


As soon as I make contact with the bare sword, suddenly I can feel the unseen wind surrounded me on spiral movement. I was so shocked that I want to throw the sword away but my hand grip strangely get firm on it.


It scares me that I actually feel like losing half control of myself as I hold the sword. I can feel the sword is kind of having some kind of strong energy to lead my movement.


Jung hyung run to me holding up his sword to attack me. I stunned there not knowing what to do but to my surprised, I hold up the sword to blocked the sudden attack.


The next movement from me is nothing that my bloody mind can think of. I am completely clueless of what am I doing.


Jung hyung finally stop his attack as he finally successfully cut me on my arm, resulting on wide opening. Blood dripping from it but I barely feels any pain. It’s painful but not as much as I thought it should be.


“You are not yourself” He said. “You are so distracted”


I feels like I am doing amazing though. I never know how to use sword. Today is my first time and I am beyond impressed with the whole thing that I did but I must admit, it was scary yet satisfying.


I think there is definitely something wrong with the sword. It does all the defending. 


What if the sword ability related to some kind of black magic? That is scary.


I throw the sword away as I thought of it. What if I get possessed?


I then feels the sudden urge to grab it back and there I move on myself, blocking Jung hyung’s sudden attack from my back.


Gosh, this is too much.


“STOPPP!!!” I yelled from the top of my lungs, feeling scared of keep losing control of myself. I need a break from this. Now.


Jung hyung stop his movement and the sword dropped from my grip.


...


“I know you are still not feeling well but you need to practice for next month” Jung hyung show a concern face to me.


“Next month?” I ask, feeling clueless of what going to happened next month. “What with next month?”


“Our friendly tournament with Park clan. You are chosen to fight their best warrior. Your marriage will be announce at the same day”


Why no one bother to informed me about that and ask if I want to do it or not?


“Tournament like fighting?” I asked, feeling ridiculous. Fighting? Me? That will be a huge mess in history but yea it won’t be if I let the scary sword taking control over me like earlier.


“Yes. It was our annual event” Jung hyung observe my face and make a face telling ‘you are seriously losing all your memories’


“On purpose?” I actually think that event sound seriously unnecessary. Come on, I might appears tough on this body but I actually just a fragile small girl.


“Bonding purpose” Jung hyung responded.


“Why don’t you do it?” I asked, thinking about escaping the event.


“Hey, you always want this and it’s already decided” Jung hyung raise his brow, showing me from his expression that there is no turning back from it.


Decided? Again? Why everything here is all decided? No one has right to stand up for themselves?


“I was dying. I am still recovering” I said my next excuse.


“You looks perfectly fine now to me”


“Is there any history of death because of this tournament?”


“Of course. It’s depends too”


I widen my eyes in shock. “What if I die?” I asked.


“You will die of honour as a warrior”


Come on.


Warrior your .


...


“Why don’t you tell me about the tournament?” I asked in frustration as soon as I saw Hangyul after going back to my place.


“I thought your participation was cancelled, young master”


“It didn’t” I gritted my teeth. “Are you guys enjoying this kind of performance?”


“Yes. It was the best event of the year” Hangyul show sudden excitement on his face. “It’s every man’s dream to get chosen”


Oh gosh. These peoples need real entertainment. Something that doesn’t require them to shed bloods.


...


“Jiyeon, I am sorry but can you help me with this” I show Jiyeon my messy undone cloth which looks weird to me.


Why peoples here need to use a lot of different layer for clothes?


Jiyeon obediently give hand on helping me, without much talking.


I don’t know but Jiyeon still looks uncomfortable around me. It kind of bothering me.


“Did you get hurt?” Jiyeon traced my wrapped fresh scar, her touch send a quick sharp pain to me.


I nodded, paying attention to her voice. I heard it for the first time.


“How are they going to do our wedding’s portrait?” I asked, feeling clueless.


I am now getting dressed for the wedding’s portrait thingy which I had no idea how they are going to do it.


“They will draw us”


...


Now, this is my thing.


I come close to the sketcher to look at his work. He done sketching me and now start to sketch Jiyeon. He is so good that I feels tempted to sketched along, so I ask for a copy of materials and start sketching Jiyeon too.


I think this is my first time enjoying my time here. I don’t remember feeling good all the time I was here, so this moment is definitely the first.


“You are doing better than me, young master” The old man complimented me as he saw I am done with my sketch. “I think it’s time for me to retire” He then laugh, tapping on my shoulder.


“Ah no. This was nothing compared to yours” I responded, secretly feeling delighted.


“I never knew you got such talent, young master” He nodded approvingly to my work.


“I am saving my talent just to draw my wife” I look at Jiyeon and send her a wink which gained the attention from the surrounding. The usual formal servants around us can’t even hide their excitement of the sight.


The old man laugh again, tapping on my arm. “Love makes us picking up the ink”


I laugh along.


Well, is that so?


...


“I have something to show you” I open the scroll of Hangyul’s drawing and show it to Jiyeon that night.


Jiyeon raised her eyebrows, giving confused looks.


“It’s you” I chuckled.


“Let me look at your wound” Jiyeon didn’t give respond to the drawing, which send disappointment to me.


She is not fun.


“Come on. Don’t be too serious” I let her checking on my wound.


“It’s better if we keep a certain distance from each other”


I look at Jiyeon with a very confuse look. “Why is that?”


“You are not belong to here”


“Why don’t you help me having a good time while I am here?” I gave Jiyeon challenging look, not wanting this whole things get on depressed way.


“There is certainly nothing fun here for you”


“Then, help me to create one”