CHAPTER ONE

If Only It Was Simple

I finally started university here in Korea. If you can guess it, I choose an medical school. Oh forgot to mention I’m what most Koreans call hwegooin or foreigner, even though I’ve lived in Korea most of my life. I use to live in Busan for couple years then I moved to Seoul be get away from many things, mostly the people there. My so-called classmates were not exactly nice to me. Dont get me wrong, not all people in Busan were mean. I meet this old grandma that owned a convenience store near my house that was really nice. I would go to the store just to help her out and we would chat on and on about anything and everything. I especially like the stories of when she was younger and how she met her late husband. I was like a romance book coming to life. She was the hot shoot of the town. And he was just a nerd, who really minded his own business. Their fate would turn when one day, a man who had been trying to pursue her grabbed her against her will and took her away. The young nerd had saw the whole thing and came to rescue her. After that, the two had fallen in love and were to married only 6 months of knowing each other. It seems really fast, but their love lasted 60 years. I wanted something like that, minus getting married with only 6 months of knowing each other. I actually fell in love once. Well it was a one-sided love. It was with an older boy from my school. His name was Ji-hoon. Lee Ji-hoon. He was a year older than I was and he would go to the convenience store every afternoon to get a drink before going home. I saw him from afar and didnt really interact with him until grandma told me he had left some change and I needed to go after him. I ran as fast as my stubby little legs could push me.

“Excuse me!”, almost out of breath

“You left some change”.

He turned around and he was not alone. There was other boys with him and a girl.

“Oh thank you”, Jihoon said with a smile on his face.

“Aren’t you that girl who always hangs out with the old lady. Don’t you have any other friends”, asked one of the other boys. I believe his name was Jongin.

“Hey! Dont say that. Thats rude”, said the girl. The girl looked at me and said, “Why dont you hang out with us sometime. I feel like you’ll get along with us perfectly fine.”

“Umm sure. Thank you but I really need to go back to grandma right now she needs help. Maybe later”. I said blushing

That day changed everything. After I helped grandma at the shop, I would go out and hang out with my friends. Plus I got to hang out with Jihoon. We all got along really nicely. And one day we went to karaoke. That’s when I realized Jihoon had a lot of talent as a singer. I had asked him if he thought of trying out to be a Kpop star, but he shot me down. The unnie of our group told him he should, and his face brighten up. My heart broke a bit that day, because I knew he had liked unnie. After a few months, Jihoon had stopped hanging out with us, and  my heart was still broken. Not only did he like unnie, but he left me without saying a word. Then after a few years, I moved to Seoul. Grandma was heartbroken when we said our goodbyes, but I gave her my number so we can chat. I totally forgotten about Jihoon, until I saw him on TV dancing and singing. He actually became a Kpop star. I was happy for him, but deep down I was still angry that he didnt say anything to me. Their music was really upbeat and fresh. I became a fan right away. It took me only 30 mins to name the group. I say thats a talent right there. Just kidding Just kidding. I was already a big fan of BTS, EXO, Girl’s day, and everyone so this wasnt something new to me. I got a new job as my father’s friend’s assistant. I didn’t really know what my father’s friend did for a living. I just knew he is well known in the music industry, but that’s pretty much it.

On the first day my job, my father’s friend Jaejoong picked me up and brought me to a building. It was hard to see what the name was, but it wasnt that big.

“So Mea. This will be your first project with me.” Jaejoong escorted me into the buliding.

“Project?” I asked him.

“Yes project. As my assistant you will be helping me brainstorm for music ideas and concepts. Are you up for the challenge? If not you can back out now”

“Oh I am up for the challenge, sir.” I was never the type to give up on something new.

I went in, right in the entrance of the building you can see an espresso machine and some chairs and table. There was another doorway that lead into a studio. There were people that greeted us in.

“Hello, everyone! This is my new assistant in training, Mea. Please make her welcome.” Jaejoong introduced me to everyone. That’s when I realized that I just met some of the members of Seventeen.

“Hi I’m Mingyu”

“Hello nice to meet you. My name’s Vernon”

“Hey, my name’s Hoshi or you can call me Soonyoung”

“Oh hello, my name’s Mea”. I couldnt really say anything after that because I was so starstruck.

“Oh Mea did I not tell you we are working with Seventeen” Uncle Jaejoong said. “ I heard your a big fan of theres too.” I looked at him and just nodded.

“Soonyoung Hyung I need help with this beat you wanted in the song. Can you come here really quick?”, said a familiar voice

“Yeah, I’m coming. Oh Jihoon-ah meet Mea. She's Jaejoong hyung's new assistant.”

Jihoon looked at me and just said “Hi nice to meet you, the name's Jihoon”

I didn’t know if I should be hurt that he doesn’t remember me or be shocked that I got to meet a kpop group. But there was sting in my chest from our first and surely not our last encounter.